NEXT GAME: PN-G (13-1) vs Liberty Hill (10-4)

bandkid

Staff member
On a related note, I’m only going to say this once for the local reporters I know are watching:

The Houston Chronicle is owned by Hearst, the same parent company of the Beaumont Enterprise. In their latest round of high school football articles, the Chronicle’s sports staff haven’t hesitated to call the PN-G Indians the “Indians.”

The Austin American Statesman is the most liberal publication in the state behind maybe only Texas Monthly and the Texas Tribune. Their readership is, without question, the most liberal in the state. They’re headquartered in the most liberal ZIP code in the state. And they’re still referring to PN-G as the “Indians.”

KFDM, KBMT, the Port Arthur News, the Orange Leader - all of them have no problem calling the Indians by their rightful team name.

This year, a national American Indian group is suing Washington to change the team name back to the “Redskins.” Half the country is upset with Deadspin for its libelous attack on a nine year old boy for wearing a headdress and face paint to a Kansas City Chiefs game - and it turns out that kid is a citizen of a local tribe.

A multitude of schools and sports franchises have persevered through the crap and are sticking with their American Indian mascots. The Florida State Seminoles. The Atlanta Braves. Arlington ISD. Keller ISD. Seminole ISD. Cleveland ISD. Jacksonville ISD. Port Neches-Groves ISD. I could go on.

In case y’all haven’t figured it out yet, the pendulum has swung. The woke Twitter echo chamber is done for. We won. If y’all can’t get your act together and call the Indians the Indians, don’t count on much support from the Indian Faithful in the way of subscriptions and ad revenue.

I think y’all know exactly which one of you I’m talking to, in particular.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
I’m well familiar with paying the taxes to build that place. :D $80+ million to build the entire Berry Center complex which includes FCU Stadium, a 9,500 seat arena, 450+ seat auditorium and a 15,000 SF conference center, banquet and kitchen areas, etc. Nice stadium but small. The district teachers love the Berry Center for meetings and conferences.

100+ Posts
I guessed last night that the attendance was ~10,000 - 11,000. Was an official count given somewhere?

bandkid

Staff member
I guessed last night that the attendance was ~10,000 - 11,000. Was an official count given somewhere?
I don’t have an official count, but I’ve seen a media estimate of 10K-12K on the PN-G side and under 2K on the Huntsville side.

cal81

That stadium is too small for a PN-G playoff crowd. Especially a state semi-final game. The teams that are playing PN-G are trying their best to limit our fans who can sit in the stands on the PN-G side.

No matter what the size of the stadium, PN-G will always have the largest crowd in our games. Whether it's 12,000 on our side or just 5,000, we will always have more than our opponents.

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
The thing that’s been bothering me the most is our punt coverage and return

They seem disorganized

A group of 7-8 defenders going to an imaginary spot while the ball hits 10 yards behind them with opposing players potentially capable of fielding the ball or the bounce and having an easy TD

THEN
on the other side
How many times have I held my breath PRAYING the ball doesn’t hit one of us on the head -turnover-
We’re not the only team that does this but it boggles the mind

Worst case was when our punter shanked that one and it went straight up in the air

Everyone acted like the play was over and all of our players are running forward (ahead of the ball) to me you have to have some players “finding” the ball in the air instead of blindly running downfield

The punter didn’t even run to down the ball he was just upset with himself for having a bad punt.
These things can catch up and bite you someday

Last edited:

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
So the side pictured seast 5,500?
Each side seats 5,500. Identical layout on each side. Subtract probably 500 for the band and Indianettes.

But I agree with Usedtocould, it is probably the nicest high school stadium in the Houston area. Great facilities to watch a game. The Berry Center facade on the south end is classy and the stadium staff is usually top notch.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (4-0)
vs.
Huntsville Hornets (3-1)

Friday, Oct. 4, 7:00PM

Huntsville ISD Stadium, Huntsville, TX

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores