One of the best ever offenses?

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Given the concerns with the defense, it's been easy to overlook the positives.

Through 5 games:

Offensively the Indians are averaging 34.2 points and 390.8 yards per game.
Junior RB Chase Bertrand is on a near record season pace with 783 yards on 119 carries, 8 TDs and a 6.58 yard per carry average.
QB Brennan Doty is on a 2,000+ yard season pace having already thrown for 1,133 yards, 11 touchdowns, and only 4 interceptions.
Receivers Amir Jalali, Jayce Nelson and Collin Gizzi have proven to be very reliable this season averaging over 13 yards per catch. Jalali and Nelson are each on an 800+ yard season pace.
The offensive line has provided exceptional protection and run blocking all year with numerous pancake blocks.

Great job Indians. The glass is more than half full.

indian17

Yes the offense is better than last years IMO, many of the school records have been broken this year. I believe Doty has the most passing yards in a game, Nelson broke Jalali's number of catches in a game. Also both Nelson and Jalali are on pace to break the school record for number of catches in a season which is around 50-55 I believe and we only half way through the season.

If we can get a few stops on Defense I don't see us being outscored with our offense. Can't wait for Friday, have a feeling things are going to turn around.

NDN79

500+ Posts
I agree. The Indians are definitely playing great offense. Thanks for the stat.'s IndianFan.

badndn

500+ Posts
indian17 said:
Yes the offense is better than last years IMO, many of the school records have been broken this year. I believe Doty has the most passing yards in a game, Nelson broke Jalali's number of catches in a game. Also both Nelson and Jalali are on pace to break the school record for number of catches in a season which is around 50-55 I believe and we only half way through the season.

If we can get a few stops on Defense I don't see us being outscored with our offense. Can't wait for Friday, have a feeling things are going to turn around.
Pretty sure Long threw for 360ish in a game once, but points well taken. This offense with last seasons defense would = State Title run IMO.

indian17

I know D Long had some great games passing but at the Booster club meeting Faircloth said Doty broke the record. Would be nice to confirm. I may break out the Trails of glory book, I believe the records are in that book. Will post what I find.

squaw

1,000+ Posts
When checking, the game in 1999 against Schertz-Clements would be a good place to start. I know Dustin threw for lots of yards in that particular game. The Schertz-Clemens people were in shock after the game as they were undefeated and it was passes by Dustin that won the game for PNG.

90NDN

500+ Posts
Was this the game played at A&M? I remember driving in the rain from Dallas to that game and Dustin threw that long TD Pass at the very beginning of the game.

indian17

Yeah game was at A&M. Here is the game winning drive, it never gets old watching it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqsjqWdDTVE

pngfan93

1,000+ Posts
We knew bringing Faircloth in that the offense would produce like this. I honestly didn't expect it this soon. Give the defense time. When Faircloth first met the booster club, I was lucky enough to have a one on one conversation with him for a good five minutes. We were discussing attendance at our games. I said "you will see 30-40 thousand people in the stands if you make it to state." He said "when we make it to state." He knows how to do it. We are just having some growing pains. The offense is only going to get better. Remember, he had three consecutive qbs break passing records at Permian and they were all first year starters.

squaw

1,000+ Posts
90NDN said:
Was this the game played at A&M? I remember driving in the rain from Dallas to that game and Dustin threw that long TD Pass at the very beginning of the game.
Yes, we waited 5 hours in drizzling rain to get into the stadium. Dustin orchestrated a long drive at the end of the game that devastated Schertz. I went from crying because we had lost to cheering until my throat was raw! Exciting game.

pngmom4

500+ Posts
I remember that game. It was awesome. BTW, have ya'll kept up with Kolb since the state game? He is really struggling to make his mark in the NFL. He doesn't look like the player he was in high school.

PNG NDN Fan

1,000+ Posts
Staff member
Kolb was actually a freshman on the Stephenville team that won the state championship game in 1999. He went on to play at UH for Art Briles. Kolb actually mentioned the 1999 state game to ESPN when they asked him about playing in front of large crowds (UH was playing Michigan that day) and he mentioned the '99 game as an example.

The starting QB fo S'ville that year 1999 Kendal Briles, who went on to Texas for a couple of years and then transferred to UH to play for his Dad. Briles was never recruited to be a college level DB, no QB. He now coaches receivers at Baylor where his Dad now is the HC.

Torino

500+ Posts
indian17 said:
Yeah game was at A&M. Here is the game winning drive, it never gets old watching it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqsjqWdDTVE
I'm glad that Dustin did what he did, but it's regrettable that his performance may have been the deciding factor in A&M recruiting him.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (4-0)
vs.
Huntsville Hornets (3-1)

Friday, Oct. 4, 7:00PM

Huntsville ISD Stadium, Huntsville, TX

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores