PN-G Traditions

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
PNG NDN Fan said:
Talking about the drum cadence that the band is playing here as they go into the Marching I? I recall that cadence very similar to this started in the mid-80's, but not sure if it is an evolution of that cadence or completely different one. It had a nickname back then but I sure it wasn't the proper name.

Those of you that remember the candence of the bands in the 70s to early 80s (until Al Long left) would be remembering "PN-G Cadence #1" fancy name I know :). It was written by PN-G drummer Matt LeBlanc that graduated in the mid-70s. I could still play that cadence for ya if you'd like. ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOQOcVycSu4

Close, but it was actually written by Matt COLEMAN. He was an awesome percussionist. Amazing, actually. His senior Yr., he was 1st chair, and I was 2nd. We both made All-Region band together. In fact, after he graduated, he came back and helped us with (and conducted) our ensemble. He was alot of fun to be around too.

PNG NDN Fan

1,000+ Posts
Staff member
Thanks for correcting that...I knew it was Matt something. At first we just knew him as the drummer with the longest hair in the panoramic pictures. :) I think he wound up being a doctor ?

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Plus sound echos and is delayed. It would have been really great if the end zone seats had remained and the band could have moved there.

NONS81

IndianFan said:
Plus sound echos and is delayed. It would have been really great if the end zone seats had remained and the band could have moved there.

True. This is why we can hear the other sides band better than ours. They are playing towards us and this is why they "sound" louder to us. So we all have to go sit on the visitors side to hear Cherokee ;D

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Volunteer(s) needed... please help provide detailed history and description of the 'Fire Up' Pep Rally.

Here are some great photos taken by pngfan93 back in 2006 to help provide some inspiration. :)

http://pngindians.smugmug.com/gallery/1817307_dbhZk#P-1-15

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
NDNS81 said:
IndianFan said:

True. This is why we can hear the other sides band better than ours. They are playing towards us and this is why they "sound" louder to us. So we all have to go sit on the visitors side to hear Cherokee ;D

Would have been perfect 'band stands'.
9643727_gCMbj-L.jpg

pngfan66

500+ Posts
My daughter was in the band for the last 4 years. My oldest son played football and graduated last year. In the new stadium you cannot hear the band at all. I sit on the 50 and its so hard to hear them. My suggestion is that maybe they place some stand up microphones in front of the band and let it feed into the speakers on the score board. Also I really hope they put some TV monitors under the stadium by the concession stands so that you can still watch the game when you go down below !!! Like they have around the areas at Reliant Statium !!!

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
PNG NDN Fan said:
Thanks for correcting that...I knew it was Matt something. At first we just knew him as the drummer with the longest hair in the panoramic pictures. :) I think he wound up being a doctor ?

Yeah, Actually, I think he's a surgeon, in Houston. I've tried to "Google" him, but with no luck. I'd like to talk to him again. And yes, he DID have long hair...even longer than the usual long hair of the "day".

PNG NDN Fan

1,000+ Posts
Staff member
PNG Proud said:
Yeah, Actually, I think he's a surgeon, in Houston. I've tried to "Google" him, but with no luck. I'd like to talk to him again. And yes, he DID have long hair...even longer than the usual long hair of the "day".

Could this be him? Hard to tell after so many years, but I remember he actually came back to visit Mr. A. in 1983-84 timeframe and he said he was in Arkansas at the time. This guy was doing residency in Ark in that timeframe and also graduated from Baylor College of Med in '82, so the timing seems about right.

http://www.healthgrades.com/directory_search/physician/profiles/dr-md-reports/Dr-Matthew-Coleman-MD-5CA27345.cfm

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
PNG NDN Fan said:
PNG Proud said:

Could this be him? Hard to tell after so many years, but I remember he actually came back to visit Mr. A. in 1983-84 timeframe and he said he was in Arkansas at the time. This guy was doing residency in Ark in that timeframe and also graduated from Baylor College of Med in '82, so the timing seems about right.

http://www.healthgrades.com/directory_search/physician/profiles/dr-md-reports/Dr-Matthew-Coleman-MD-5CA27345.cfm

HEY! Yup, that's him...uh, with somewhat shorter hair. Thanks alot. How didi you find that?

I'm going to try to contact him throught the site, if possible.

thanx

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
There was no e-mail addy, just a ph. #. I AM going to call him though, and hopefully he'll call back.

yankeedawg

500+ Posts
PNG Proud said:
There was no e-mail addy, just a ph. #. I AM going to call him though, and hopefully he'll call back.

He may charge you for a phone consultation Proud!! You know the way some doctors are.

PNG NDN Fan

1,000+ Posts
Staff member
here are the first few bars of it. :)

diga-DUM da-DUM da-DUM DUM da-DUM da-DUM DUM da-DUM da-DUM DUM DUM diga-diga

DUM da-DUM da-DUM DUM da-DUM da-DUM DUM da-DUM da-DUM DUM BOOM BOOM

diga-DUM diga-diga-diga DUM diga-diga-diga DUM dig DUM dig DUM DUM dig DUM.

diga-DUM diga-diga-diga DUM diga-diga-diga DUM diga-DUM diga-diga DUM DUM diga-DUM-DUM ..

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores