PN-G Traditions

NONS81

allstarmom said:
NDNS81 said:
allstarmom said:
NDNS81 said:
OldEagle said:
Seems like I remember a few years back that during the Homecoming game the Football Sweetheart was the only one on the field that was allowed to wear an Indian headdress. Does anyone remember this or am I just imaging things again?

When I was in school, the Football Sweetheart was "crowned" with on of the Drum Majors Headdresses ( the long one that touches the ground). They also road around the track in fancy convertibles...We also sold World Finest Chocolate cover almonds and had a Variety Show - those were fun times!!! We had TWIRP week during Valetines and the Student Council sold TWIRP Licenses to all the girls and we Crowned Sir Twirp!!!! I got to crown one of our present coaches as Sir Twirp!!!

Would that be Coach Segura? I remember him as being all the rage back in the day!!

Nope, Coach Welch...I was a Senior and he was a junior. Kyle might have been Sir Twirp when y'all were Seniors.

Oh, right!!! I must have had too many of Mr. White's rum cakes! Now there is an Indian tradition!!!

Those were so good, weren't they!!! I always had fun when I was in school - we had some great teachers back then!!! I'm sure they have great one's now, but ours were the best!!!

N

NDNPARENT

NDNS81 said:
allstarmom said:
NDNS81 said:
OldEagle said:
Seems like I remember a few years back that during the Homecoming game the Football Sweetheart was the only one on the field that was allowed to wear an Indian headdress. Does anyone remember this or am I just imaging things again?

When I was in school, the Football Sweetheart was "crowned" with on of the Drum Majors Headdresses ( the long one that touches the ground). They also road around the track in fancy convertibles...We also sold World Finest Chocolate cover almonds and had a Variety Show - those were fun times!!! We had TWIRP week during Valetines and the Student Council sold TWIRP Licenses to all the girls and we Crowned Sir Twirp!!!! I got to crown one of our present coaches as Sir Twirp!!!

Would that be Coach Segura? I remember him as being all the rage back in the day!!

Nope, Coach Welch...I was a Senior and he was a junior. Kyle might have been Sir Twirp when y'all were Seniors.

opps my bad.. thought my class in 82 .. and welch is a good friend of mine that i respect alot.. just hate that he is going through all this! I feel for him.

allstarmom

100+ Posts
I too love and respect Dan. He is a really great guy. We are "twins", sharing the same birthday. It really breaks my heart that he and his family are having to go through this. I hope nobody has been rude or mean to his little girls.

Justafan

2,000+ Posts
I do not blame Welch for the offensive issues. I think he was put into a position he was not comfortable with and did not receive the support he needed from the HC.

N

NDNPARENT

always knew welch would be a coach growing up.. loves football and his oilers! Everytime i see him pacing the sidelines i say there BUM! LOL

NONS81

Justafan said:
I do not blame Welch for the offensive issues. I think he was put into a position he was not comfortable with and did not receive the support he needed from the HC.

You hit the nail on the head as far as I am concerned!!! I saw them "fussin" at each other many times during games. I love Dan and his family they are so cute!!!! Those girls are precious!!!!

NONS81

Justafan said:

I wish someone would speak freely about the whole situation!!!!!

modmouse78

100+ Posts
NDNS81 said:
Justafan said:

You hit the nail on the head as far as I am concerned!!! I saw them "fussin" at each other many times during games. I love Dan and his family they are so cute!!!! Those girls are precious!!!!

I have great respect for the man, also. He is a very good offensive line coach. I think he was over his head being offensive coordinator. The reason for the bickering on the sideline was that he did not want to take suggestions with his play calling from anyone, including the head coach.

NONS81

modmouse78 said:
NDNS81 said:
Justafan said:

I have great respect for the man, also. He is a very good offensive line coach. I think he was over his head being offensive coordinator. The reason for the bickering on the sideline was that he did not want to take suggestions with his play calling from anyone, including the head coach.

And see, I thought it was the other way around...I thought MB was the controlling one...too bad he could not just have been the O line coach, he was great at it.

ScalpEm24

Since this is the Traditions thread, I thought I would break from the talk of coaches & who we know & how they were when they were kids growing up. ;D

Does anyone know the lil song the band plays as they walk in. I know growing up, I can vividly remember the beats, it was during the walk from the old Planeterium area, under the stands & to the seats. Seriously, I can still do the whole thing aloud in my head...."Dom Dom Dom Dom duda dom duda dom, dom dom dom dom dink dink"....LOL, sorry thats all I got, but hopefully someone will know what I am talking about! :clap:

Gumbeaux

I know exactly what you are talking about...When they get to the track the drum sections blasts it.....

Is there a name for it?....I would think the Band Elite on this site would know what you are talking about ScalpEm.....

When I would hear that as a child "playing under the stands" before a game...I knew it was time for the game to start....

PNG NDN Fan

1,000+ Posts
Staff member
Talking about the drum cadence that the band is playing here as they go into the Marching I? I recall that cadence very similar to this started in the mid-80's, but not sure if it is an evolution of that cadence or completely different one. It had a nickname back then but I sure it wasn't the proper name.

Those of you that remember the candence of the bands in the 70s to early 80s (until Al Long left) would be remembering "PN-G Cadence #1" fancy name I know :). It was written by PN-G drummer Matt Coleman that graduated in the mid-70s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOQOcVycSu4

PNG NDN Fan

1,000+ Posts
Staff member
This the other cadence, but it is not consistent with the "Dom Dom Dom Dom duda dom duda dom, dom dom dom dom dink dink..." written :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWHEZ0xrHWo

ScalpEm24

I sooooo appreciate the effort. :) Unfortunately, Cardiac is right, neither of those were the right one. I am sure it doesn't actually have a name, my guess is some of the drum corp guys, got together and came up w/ it....

Gumbeaux

Yeah cardiac is right...But it was nice to hear cherokee on the first one.....I actuall think you can barely here it in this one before cherokee starts....Thats when they also played it on the field before the marching I....

Someone has to have it....I can still do the entire thing out loud...And heck I was never in the band...And never should have been...cant carry a tune or read music....Thanks to those that can...

As for the head coach.....Anyone hear anything???

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores