PN-G vs NED Mid-county Madness

Justafan

2,000+ Posts
I noticed during the Nederland game someone dressed in what looked like Texas gear standing near the northend end zone. Does anyone know who this was?? Looked like Earl Thomas.

badndn

500+ Posts
Yes, it was Earl. He musta signed 200 autographs, then went out today and returned an interception 92 yards to save the game for UT! Great player with a bright future and from what I understand he is a great person as well.

nederbulldogs#1

I think we keep Coach Newman. Injuires make it a tough year. Hope you all continue your success until you play the Bulldogs again. Talking of numbers why don't PNG have a b team for their freshman? Nederland does.

Mid County Madness 2009 Freshmen Style
Bulldogs 34 Indians 16

Indians scored 16 points on our B (Gold Team) which Nederland put in in the 3rd Quarter and our Gold Team (b) ran back a kick off return on PNG's 1st string.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAty_68wKHo

To all my friends that live in Port Neches Groves that are predicting the fall? of Nederland football and the return PNG Indian dominance over Nederland its not going to happen anytime soon. Nederland future looks bright.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a duplicate response to a duplicate post...

I heard an interesting comment from a longtime PNG fan that Coach Faircloth is more interested in playing a lot of kids at the freshman level. And less concerned with wins at that stage of a players career. That keeps the younger kids in the program and gives them a chance to play and develop.

Which school currently has a problem with numbers and kids staying with the football program? And which school has more kids in the program than most 5A schools?

So before you start counting wins, remember that their is little correlation between 9th grade success and varsity success. I say Faircloth and staff has the Bulldog's number from here on out. :thumbsup:

pngfan66

500+ Posts
I agree !!! The Freshmen team rotates alot of players in and out on both sides of the ball. They have combined the A and B team together. Injuries. My son plays on the freshman A team and went both ways alot of the time. Now he dosen't. He gets to play both sides of the ball but thru a rotation. Coach Faircloth said in a parents meeting that every freshmen player would play regardless of the score or the game. He wanted the boys to play and get more experience about the system. Im not worried in the least as to whether the Freshmen team gets blown out or wins. The coaches are putting these boys in the games and getting them valuable playing time !!! He is a man of his word and I respect him for that.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
I said it a few times before. PN-G will have the premiere football program in all of SE Texas. The Faircloth era is just getting started and it's already more than impressive.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
pngfan66 said:
I agree !!! The Freshmen team rotates alot of players in and out on both sides of the ball. They have combined the A and B team together. Injuries. My son plays on the freshman A team and went both ways alot of the time. Now he dosen't. He gets to play both sides of the ball but thru a rotation. Coach Faircloth said in a parents meeting that every freshmen player would play regardless of the score or the game. He wanted the boys to play and get more experience about the system. Im not worried in the least as to whether the Freshmen team gets blown out or wins. The coaches are putting these boys in the games and getting them valuable playing time !!! He is a man of his word and I respect him for that.

Makes sense. Why worry about having an undefeated freshman team at the risk of a lot of players hanging up their cleats from lack of playing time and interest. Some of those players might have developed and improved down the line and made a big contribution.

Whodat

Just some perspective, I think you missed the point that Nederland played all of their B team first and second strings from the B team. The only points PNG scored were with tje starting offense in against the Ned second string B teamers. I was at the game and didn't see PNG playing backups like Nederland was. They played way more kids, just trying to keep it real. The Ned freshman group is very talented and very deep and they play an A and B team, and most of them can play.

IBLEEDPURPLE

1,000+ Posts
IndianFan said:
pngfan66 said:

Makes sense. Why worry about having an undefeated freshman team at the risk of a lot of players hanging up their cleats from lack of playing time and interest. Some of those players might have developed and improved down the line and made a big contribution.

I agree. I will take an undefeated varsity team over an undefeated freshman team any day. Play as many kids as you can in the early high school years. Let them develop and get experience, seems to me thats what will make a strong Varsity Team year after year.....

Penny

Whodat said:
Just some perspective, I think you missed the point that Nederland played all of their B team first and second strings from the B team. The only points PNG scored were with tje starting offense in against the Ned second string B teamers. I was at the game and didn't see PNG playing backups like Nederland was. They played way more kids, just trying to keep it real. The Ned freshman group is very talented and very deep and they play an A and B team, and most of them can play.

All very true, it is great to see PNG football back in the saddle so to speak, but although some would think this year spells the demise of Nederland football... we have some great classes coming through. Obviously the coaching gap is closed, so it'll be all about the kids, and I think they're going to put on some great shows over the next couple of years. On a very specific note, the Nederland freshman are loaded, it has nothing to do with the ability of the PNG freshman group, the Nederland freshman are a special group.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Through the years there have been instances where Nederland or PN-G freshman have dominated the other. When those same kids made it to varsity the outcome was different. So you never know.

I hope both Mid-County schools continue to have successful programs. I personally don't like seeing Nederland down as they are this year. And I would hope Bulldog fans think the same.

pngfan66

500+ Posts
I would prefer to see both Mid county schools winning and going to the playoffs !!! Alot better history here in mid county than further north. When PNG was down and not in the playoffs, I was there at the Nederland Playoff games cheering for the DOGS !!! Even though we are competitors, seems like when our Neighbors are in the playoffs, the boundaries are no longer there. Like I tell my friends in the Beaumont area, "its a mid county thing" The communities are so interwoven, family on both sides, friends on both sides, that around here you can't help but cheer on your neighbors !!! As far as the Freshmen team goes, I think that the Faircloth coaching crew will get the men into the system further during this off season. I don't see PNG's freshmen team as sub par or anything close. Remember, alot of these boys had very little coaching, technique, etc... at the middle school level. All they learned was the Veer offense. They walked into school with very little knowledge of Faircloths system. The varsity and JV teams had spring ball and that time to learn and work and practice this system. Look at Lumberton, all they talk about is how great they are going to be just because their freshman team was so great years ago, same group of boys on varsity now. Freshmen are Freshmen, they are learning and growing. Don't count PNG's freshmen team out, because when their season is over, they enter into a even more intense program. I wish Faircloth had been here for a few years prior, because the Middle school kids would have learned the system and have had the experience. I trust in PNG's coaching staff and they are very capable of turning it around for the freshmen kids as they progress up the chain !!!

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores