PN-G vs Texas City

pngfan93

1,000+ Posts
http://www.panews.com/sports/local_story_255021221.html?keyword=topstory

Defense paves way to 3-0 for PN-G

By DAUCY CRIZER
The Port Arthur News
September 12, 2009 02:11 am

— PORT NECHES - Senior Caleb Harmon churned out another 100-yard rushing game and a stifling defensive effort was just enough, as Port Neches-Groves held off a furious second half rally for a 22-16 overtime win over visiting Texas City Friday night at The Reservation.
Some games, you can tell the outcome by just looking at the stat sheet instead of the scoreboard. However, that was not the case in this game.
The Indians held the Stingarees to no first downs and just 12 yards of total offense in building a 16-0 halftime lead. PN-G outgained Texas City 319 to 149 for the game.
Yet, the Stingarees were able to drive 70 yards over the final four minutes of the fourth quarter to tie the game at 16-16. Texas City was able to get back in the game with a better defensive effort in the second half and on special teams. Punter Sam Martin managed to keep the Indians pinned in their own end most of the night and the Stingarees blocked three kicks.
“Give Texas City credit, they did a great job in the second half,” said PN-G coach Brandon Faircloth, who notched his third straight win to start his head coaching career. “Things aren’t always going to go our way and our kids and our coaches know that.
“The one thing we do have is heart and pride and determination. We have faith in our coaches and our teammates that we’re going to bounce back. Our kids hung in there tonight and they believed.”
The Indians, leading 16-8, were looking to ice the game when Dylan Browning lined up for a 32-yard field goal with 4:32 remaining in the game. De’Lynn Rice raced around the left side and blocked Browning’s kick.
Texas City (1-2) started the game-tying drive at its own 30. A pair of runs by quarterback Ryan Harper netted 22 yards. Another 6-yard run was aided by a 15-yard penalty for a horse collar tackle on PN-G that put the ball at the 28. Justin Branch, who was bottled up all night by the Indians swarming defense, broke loose for a 10-yard gain to give the Stingarees a first down at the 14.
A face mask penalty against the Indians on Harper’s 4-yard gain gave Texas City first-and-goal at the 4. On third-and-goal from the 8, Harper hit Andrew Gutierrez in the back left corner of the end zone to pull the Stingarees within two with 21 seconds left in regulation.
Needing a two-point conversion to tie the game, Harper looked like he wanted to rush up the middle on a quarterback keeper, but had to bounce it off right tackle. He was met by several Indians in pursuit but managed to stretch the ball just to the goalline for the conversion to tie the game at 16-16.
Texas City had the ball first to start the first overtime period. On its second play from scrimmage, Harper fumbled the ball, which was recovered by the Indians’ Blake Brooks.
PN-G (3-0) called on Harmon to put the game away and he responded. His first carry of overtime went for 12 yards. He followed with a 13-yard touchdown scamper that gave the Indians a 22-16 win.
The Indians completely dominated Texas City in the first half. Browning’s 29-yard field goal opened the scoring in the first quarter. An interception by David St. Clair set up PN-G with field position at the Texas City 32 midway through the second quarter.
On third-and-nine, QBBrennan Doty scrambled out of the pocket to his left and found Spencer DeRon for a 31-yard scoring strike. Browning’s extra point was blocked to make the score 9-0.
Aaron Brandom recovered a fumble on the ensuing kickoff, but the Indians weren’t able to capitalize. Rice blocked Browning’s 35-yard field goal attempt.
The Indians were successful on their next possession. After a Harmon 12-yard run to midfield, Doty hit a streaking Blake Reyenga for a 50-yard TD pass to make the score 16-0.
“That was the best first half of defense I may have ever seen,” said Faircloth of the Indians defensive efforts in the opening stanza. “Coaches Kroecker, Templin, Arnaud, Cox and Lefort had the defense ready to play versus the Stingarees tonight. We stacked the line of scrimmage. They’re (Texas City) run game is their strength and our coaches did a good job of taking away what they do well.”
Texas City finally got on the board late in the third quarter. Taking advantage of a short field, Harper scored on a 21-yard quarterback draw. He also ran in the two-point conversion to make the score 16-8.
Harmon led all rushers with 156 yards on 24 carries. He gained 101 yards in the second half on 15 totes. Doty completed 11-of-22 passes for 163 yards. That balanced offensive attack kept the Stingarees defense off-balance most of the game.
“Caleb Harmon is all heart,” said Faircloth. “There’s nobody that’s going to play harder than him. He’s one of our captains and he’s a leader. As he goes our offense goes at times. We gave it to him twice in overtime and that was the ball game.”

pngfan93

1,000+ Posts
http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/local/harmon_rushes_for_125_as_pn-g_outlasts_texas_city.html

Harmon rushes for 125 as PN-G outlasts Texas City

By DAN SHER

September 11, 2009
Posted: September 11, 2009, 11:39 PM CDT Last updated: September 12, 2009, 12:05 AM CDT

These boys should change their nickname to the "heart attack kids."

Port Neches-Groves welcomed its third consecutive, non-district opponent to The Reservation and let a dominant first half performance turn into a overtime nail biter. The Indians took advantage of fumble by Texas City in overtime when running back Caleb Harmon sealed a nerve wracking 22-16 victory.

Harmon gained all of PN-G's 25 overtime yards and finished with 160 rushing yards.

Before then, it was a tale of two halves.

Quarterback Brennan Doty continued his solid play, throwing for two first half scores, including a pretty 50 yard rainbow down the right sideline to Blake Reyenga.

Meanwhile, the PN-G defense bottled up the vaunted Texas City running attack, holding the Stingarees to 13 first half rushing yards and no first downs. Texas City arrived with a gaudy resume. Last week in a win against Alvin, Texas City running back Justin Branch ran for 275 yards (Texas City piled up 412 total ground yards). For 24 minutes, it seemed as though PN-G would hold them in check.

Perhaps the protracted halftime cooled off the Indians. The second half saw an extreme reversal of fortune. Texas City had numerous opportunities to even things up. A botched punt gave Texas City two possessions inside the PN-G 5-yard line. Each time on fourth down, Texas City came up empty. Finally, late in the third quarter, quarterback Ryan Harper ran it in from 23-yards and then called his own number on the 2-pt. conversion.

PN-G had a chance to end it, but Texas City blocked two second half field goal attempts. With yet another life, Texas City took advantage of two late roughing penalties. With 21 ticks remaining, Harper floated the ball into the left corner of the end zone and Andrew Gutierrez walked the tightrope in for an 8-yard score. Harper converted another two-point try and PN-G's 16-point cushion had vanished.

prepballfan

There's No Place Like The Reservation Friday Night
Staff member
One thing for sure our defense will be in shape after preseason. They should be able to play 4 quaters.

NDN79

500+ Posts
I can't remember when an Indians team had more heart and determination than this team. They don't give up and they find a way to win. What a great group of young men--the coaching staff has done a tremendous job with them. Indian nation is going to have a special season this year!

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
A shot was just fired over the bow of a certain Pirate ship that specializes in running the ball. :guns: A balanced attack will be necessary to succeed against this Indian defense.

Speaking of balanced offensive attacks, this team reminds me of the 1999 Indians who were close to 50/50 run/pass.

2009 PN-G Offensive Statistics
Total yards: 994
First downs: 46
Rushing yards: 538
Yds/Att: 5.49
Passing yards: 456
Yds/Catch: 12.0

pngfan93

1,000+ Posts
Agreed. I doubt that Vidor has the talent that Texas City has. I still say that neither the defensive nor the offensive play-books have been opened up yet. Notice how quickly PN-G scored in OT when they had to. Am I the only one that thinks we could have kept scoring in the second half if we didn't mind showing our hand?

NDNmom91

500+ Posts
Everyone gas up your vehicles because I think we'll be on the road following the Indians deep into the playoffs! :woot:

Am I being overly optimisitc? I don't think so!

Do we have work to do? Yes, of course!

But, I think this team has the talent, heart, and determination to take it all!

All I have to say is...Vidor...who? ;D

badndn

500+ Posts
I'm not looking past anyone in this district!

Vidor is a running team, but not in the same mold as TC. TC ran out of the spread. You pretty much know who is getting the ball. Not a lot of misdeirection.

Vidor runs the triple option. Anyone of four backs could carry the ball and every play involves misdirection and a little trickeration! When executed correctly it is tough to defend. It is a good offense to run if you don't have the personnel to matchup with the big dogs. Ask Ohio State. They had hell with an inferior Navy bunch last week.

bandkid

Staff member
This game was electric. I'll never forget the enthusiasm we had in overtime. I don't think I've ever seen the crowd, band, Indianettes, cheerleaders, sponsors, directors, coaches, football players, and everyone else in the stadium that fired up. Before this game, I thought I had a pretty good idea of the extent to which the spirit and enthusiasm could go at a PN-G football game, but now I see that I greatly underestimated my own school. That game made the other games seem like scrimmages.

The thought that there are more games like this one to come makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

NDN79

500+ Posts
I talked to 2 of the players today and they said the crowd was so loud that it was amazing! They said that it really inspired them and that they really appreciate all of the fans!! :woohoo:

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
And THAT'S why we do it! for the kids.

Tell them we appreciate the effort and they make us proud!

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
PNG seems to be progressing to a similar level of excitement and spirit as seen during 'the glory days' of the 70s and the 1999 season.

When PN-G is up, and the spirit is rocking and rolling, there is no better high school football experience. And the intensity level will climb with each success.

Don't want to jinx anything but I believe this coaching staff is about to take it to higher level than ever before. And build the best football program in SE Texas period.

Justafan

2,000+ Posts
IndianFan said:
PNG seems to be progressing to a similar level of excitement and spirit as seen during 'the glory days' of the 70s and the 1999 season.

When PN-G is up, and the spirit is rocking and rolling, there is no better high school football experience. And the intensity level will climb with each success.

Don't want to jinx anything but I believe this coaching staff is about to take it to higher level than ever before. And build the best football program in SE Texas period.

Indianfan, the coaching staff are very intense. After each series of either offense or defense the coaches sit the kids down and review each series. This is something I haven't seen in some time. The coaching staff are very organized and prepared.

NDN79

500+ Posts
I'm with you IndianFan, this is very exciting and it gets better and better every week! What's really cool, is that everyone is feeling the same way! Great times ahead for Indian Nation! :woohoo:

ndnsrock44

100+ Posts
I agree. That was the rowdiest I have seen a PNG crowd in a long time. I have never seen a crowd that rowdy for a non-district game. This team has a confidence and swagger that rubs off on the fans...I can only imagine how it will be rocking for MCM and the Vidor game this year...There is definitely a special spirit in the air!!

NDN79

500+ Posts
:faint: Wish we didn't have to wait 2 weeks to play again. The fans are really going to have a lot of energy,enthusiasm, and excitement for the LC-M game. :punchingbag:

pngfan93

1,000+ Posts
ndnsrock44 said:
I can only imagine how it will be rocking for MCM and the Vidor game this year.

^This.

And I have to say that I hope we stick it to Central in every way we can. We have some paying back to do after what they did last year. I say no calling the dogs off, and use every play in the book.

pngfan66

500+ Posts
I know Faircloth has been holding back alot of his offensive program in this preseason. Now I hope the gloves come off and the offense starts really blowing the doors off of our District teams !!! Just my gut feeling is that we haven't even seen half of his play book yet. I would like to see DeRon thrown to alittle more. He is usually the receiver that has no one who can match him in height ! Harmon is a beast ! Just need the O line to open up holes alittle bit more and he's gone !!! The excitement level in the stands reminds me of the team from 2 years ago that went to the playoffs. They were very exciting to watch as well. I remember playing Nederland at Nederland and it was so dang loud !!! I'm actually glad the team has a week off. Heal everyone up and have some hard practices and work on some of the small issues that showed up in the TC game. Let the boys learn the rest of their play book more in practice. Heck I bet the coaching staff is probably working on more plays for the offense and adding those to the playbook as well. The D is just awesome this year. The coaches are doing a great job ! I really like the rotation of the defensive players on the D as well. Their intensity is something I haven't seen in a very long time at PNG. They believe they will win and they will stop nothing short of it. From the coaches to the players to the fans !!! ALERT ALERT ! CAUTION CAUTION ! SPIRIT INFECTION Spreading thru the communities of PORT NECHES AND GROVES !!! The only good infection to have !!!!

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores