PNG's Next Coach.....

Justafan

2,000+ Posts
Philip C. Danaher Coaching History: 1974-2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am presently the athletic director and head football coach at Calallen Independent School
District, a 4A school. I am currently in my thirty-three year of coaching, having served thirty-three
years as athletic director and head football coach.

I have just finished my twenty-fourth years at Calallen, having made the play-offs for the past
twenty-third consecutive seasons, a state record of 16 consecutive seasons of winning 10 games or
better, 55 straight district wins, and eight appearances in the State Semi-finals in the last eleven
years, posting a 286-47-2 record in my tenure here. Until 1985, Calallen had not made the playoffs
for Thirty years. We reached the state finals in 2005, state semifinals in 1993,1994,
1995, 1996,1997, 2000 and 2003; quarterfinals in 1985, 1986, 1990, 1991, regional in 1987,1998,
1992, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2006 and 2007; area in 1998, 1999, and Bi-district in 1989.

Before coming to Calallen I held the position of athletic director and head football coach at
Hamshire-Fannett. Prior to my arrival at Hamshire-Fannett, the athletic program had fallen to an
all-time low. There was not a winning team in the entire program and participation was very
limited. Within the six years I was there, we won three football championships and were runners-
up two other times. Twice we were regional finalists. My record there was 43-22. Our athletic
participation increased in all sports and we experienced success in all phases of the athletic
program.

My first athletic director/head coaching experience came in Dilley, Texas. During my first
year there, 1974, Dilley won its first district championship in more than a decade. We went on to
become regional co-champs that year. Before leaving Dilley, we won another district title along
with four consecutive track championships. In my four years at Dilley, my record was 25-15-2.

As far as my overall record, I am 336-84-04. Listed below is a year-by-year breakdown of my
football win/loss record.

CalaIlen: 256-45-2

2007 Area Champs 12-1 (Beaten by Lake Travis in Regional Finals.)
2006 Area Champs 12-1 (Beaten by Buda Hays in Regional Finals.)
2005 State Finals 14-2 (Beaten by Lewisville Hebron in State Championship Game.)
2004 Area Champs 9-4 (Beaten by Pflugerville Connally in Regional Finals)
2003 Qtr-finals Champs 13-1 (Beaten by Bay City in Semi-Finals)
2002 Area 11-2 (Beaten by Kerrville-Tivy in Regional Finals)
2001 Area 11-1 (Beaten by Alamo Heights Regional Finals)
2000 Qtr-finals 13-2 (Beaten by West Orange-Stark in Semi-Finals)
1999 Bi-District Champs 10-2 (Beaten by Schertz Clemens in Area)
1998 Bi-District Champs 10-2 (Beaten by Schertz Clemens in Area)
1997 Qtr-finals 14-1 (Beaten by LaMarque in Semi-Finals)
1996 Qtr-finals 14-1 (Beaten by LaMarque in Semi-Finals)
1995 Qtr-finals 14-1 (Beaten by LaMarque in Semi-Finals)
1994 Qtr-finals 13-2 (Beaten by LaMarque in Semi-Finals)
1993 Qtr-finals 13-1 (Beaten by LaMarque in Semi-Finals)
1992 Area Champs 10-2 (Beaten by Westlake in Regional Finals)
1991 Regional Champs 12-2 (Beaten by Westlake in Quarter-Finals)
1990 Regional Champs 11-3 Beaten by Westlake in Quarter-Finals)
1989 District Champs 10-1 (Beaten by Uvalde in Bi-District)
1988 Area Champs 10-1-1 (Beaten by Kerville in Regional Finals
1987 Area Champs 9-3 (Beaten by Kerrville in Regional Finals)
1986 Regional Champs 8-4 (Beaten by New Braunfels in Quarter-Finals)
1985 Regional Champs 10-3 (Beaten by New Braunfels in Quarter-Finals)
1984 4th Place in District 5-4-1 (First winning season in many years)

Hamshire-Fannett: 43-22-0
1983 District Champs 7-4 (Beaten by Stephen F~ Austin in Bi-District)
1982 Finished Last 3-7
1981 2nd Place Runner-up 7-3
1980 Regional Finals 10-2 (Beaten by West High School)
1979 2nd Place Runner-up 7-3
1978 Regional Finals 9-3 (We lost to Sealy, with Eric Dickerson)

Dilley: 25-15-2
1977 3rd Place Finish 3-7
1976 District Co-Champs 8-2 (In the first three years we lost two district games, the
the remainder of the losses were to school with larger classifications.)
1975 2nd Place Runner-up 6-3-1
1974 Regional Co-Champs 8-3-1 (Tie with Fall City; they advanced on penetrations, went to semi-finals.)

BWS

Good post. I will say, the school board did all they could do to get him here. They took a lot of heat over respecting the request of Danaher and others to keep every thing confidential. Without abiding by these requests, he would not be interviewing. Let's hope everything falls into place over the next two weeks!

1IDPURPLEMONSTER

I have a friend who lives in Corpus, who's son played for Danaher (03 & 04). This guy states that Danaher's salary is currently $110,000.00 and he does not have a masters degree. So a couple of things have to happen to get him, first remove the masters requirement and open up the checkbook. This guy is not going to move for 115 or 120. It is going to take 130-135 to get a guy who has been at one school as long as he has, plus the fact that he is 60 years old. He applied just to work a raise out of Calallen.

BWS

1IDPURPLEMONSTER said:
I have a friend who lives in Corpus, who's son played for Danaher (03 & 04). This guy states that Danaher's salary is currently $110,000.00 and he does not have a masters degree. So a couple of things have to happen to get him, first remove the masters requirement and open up the checkbook. This guy is not going to move for 115 or 120. It is going to take 130-135 to get a guy who has been at one school as long as he has, plus the fact that he is 60 years old. He applied just to work a raise out of Calallen.

Both statements are false. He has a Master's Degree, and no, he did not apply to raise his current salary level with his school district.

T

txprepsports

BWS said:
1IDPURPLEMONSTER said:

Both statements are false. He has a Master's Degree, and no, he did not apply to raise his current salary level with his school district.

He makes in the 90s

badndn

500+ Posts
Well, I will say that I would like Stump because of his youth and I always like when a HC has kids in the program, they seem to take extra pride in the job and Stump would have 5 or 6 years with his sons in the program, but if he wins big then I could see him leaving in year 7 for greener pastures (College OC?). So if Danaher can come in and give us 8 years with his style and success I would be very happy with him as the new "Head Of The Tribe"! If he can build the program back to a power in the region, then in 8 years we could have a really good applicant list.

Also I read about Danahers wife being an assistant to the CC superintendant and thet being a road block, but wouldn't she be eligble for a full retirement? Is she from here (Phil did coach at HF for a while)?

N

NDNPARENT

txprepsports said:
BWS said:
1IDPURPLEMONSTER said:

He makes in the 90s

james ware stated on the round table that he made 99xxx.00 in 2006, if i remember correctly.

15PNG

500+ Posts
Video: http://www.kristv.com/Global/story.asp?S=9736938
Calallen Football Coach To Meet With Port Neches-Groves Officials

Updated: Jan 26, 2009 10:18 PM CST

CALALLEN - Calallen Head Football Coach Phil Danaher has confirmed he has applied and will meet with Port Neches-Groves officials later this week to discuss the Indians head coaching position.

Danaher is well-known for his team's successes throughout Texas and in his 25 years of coaching the Wildcats, he has piled up 344 victories. This year's Wildcats fell to Beeville in the third round and finished 8-4.

Danaher said his heart is in Calallen, but he was contacted by one his former players and urged to at least apply for the Port Neches job.

Flour Bluff Coach Darrell Andrus also applied, but told us he wasn't contacted for an interview.

Gumbeaux

Why wouldnt his heart be in a place that he built what I would call a powerhouse HS football program...Only natural for a coach and father (of 2 great players) to feel that way...

Pastures for a State Championship do not lie in CC for the next 10 years.....Demographics for football have changed....

Smurf

There's not much else he could say to a reporter."This school doesn't have much of a future" would not be a great comment if he didn't get the position offered to him. Let him see what PNG is about before we start giving up on him. His interview is this Thursday. He wants to see the boys in off season and tour the favilities before his interview. We have to sell our community during this visit as much as he has to sell him self during the interview.

ScalpEm24

The man has just spent 25years of his coaching life there, I highly doubt he is going to say anything that will disrespect that community. Its a nice "PC" answer. Nothing more, nothing less.

pngfan1

Found this on another site ,thought I would post in case some like me didn't know much about Garrett:
As a player
1986 - Plano Wildcats (5AAAAA State Champions)
1987 - Plano Wildcats (5AAAAA State Champions), (Mythical National Champions)
1988 - Navarro College (Texas Junior College Conference Champions), (Mythical National Champions)

As a coach
2000-2001 - Northeast Oklahoma A&M College (Lone Star Conference Champions - 2nd in conference in overall offense) ***By the way...N.E.O. has 8 National Championships.
2002-2004 - Mississippi College (Passing Game Coordinator) *Lead the ASC (Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi D-III conference in passing)
2005-2007 - Plano West (Offense ranked 7th in the state in 2006)
2008 - Duncanville (Working with Jeff Dicus, who is known for turning programs around, and took Duncanville to the playoffs for the first time in four years.)

kfdmcoop

100+ Posts
PIC of Garrett

GarrettR.JPG

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores