Round 1: PN-G vs Dayton

bark

1,000+ Posts
:fish:

What is our record under this staff-- put aside the 1st year which you could say were Burnetts group

Let me say this, I am a Faitclothe fan even if we don't win as much as I would like, he is great for the kids in as far as building character and morals.

Justafan and others must realize this IS his first head coaching job, so he is learning too.

Good luck Seniors!

Justafan

2,000+ Posts
1989NDN said:
I thought the defensive game plan was just fine. The defense made plenty of plays behind the line of scrimmage and in the open field to give our kids a shot to win. We are not the 1985 Bears. We will not just shut down the other team. Give Dayton credit, they had some play makers. The Indians made enough stops to turn the game in our favor. The defensive coaches had kids in position to make stops. The Indians defense bends some and they defend the short field as best they can. I agree, the pooch kick has (1) got to improve exponentially, i.e., kick the ball higher and deeper causing the opposing kick-off receiver to call for a fair catch, or (2) do away with the pooch kick and just squib kick it down the middle of the field. We cannot expect our defense to work miracles when the opposing team only has to go 50 yards for a score. Dayton ran the ball on us and had an elusive QB #15 and RB #9, but our defense did the best it could to string out the run and gang tackle.

Untimely penalties and turnovers are what stopped the Indians from grabbing a bi-district win. In the post season, you have to take care of the football. The two back-to-back turnovers in the 2nd half killed the momentum of PN-G (the fumble on the kick off return, which led to a quick Dayton TD; and the bobbled hand-off between Morse and Halfin, which led to a Dayton TD). If we don't fumble back to back in the 3Q, the game would have been much more interesting coming down the stretch.

I will agree with the masses...the ineffective pooch kick has got to go [and, no, I am not faulting he kicker; he is doing the best he can]. Giving Dayton a 50-yard field is expecting too much from our defense. Executing a pooch kick is not as easy as it seems. It's got to be high and deeper than 10-20 yards. I'd rather just kick it out of bounds and at least make the opposing team start at the 35 yard line vs. the 50 yard line. Why now just kick it deep or squib kick it?

On defense, #48, #41, #47 tackled well. #23 made a big time hit on a Dayton WR. OL had a good game. QB and the skilled kids at WR and RB played hard and gave the Indians a good shot at a W.

Penalties and turnovers.

Good season, Indians. Enjoyed watching you play.

Go Indians. Peace.

Disagree on the game plan. Dayton ran 3 plays and we didn't make the adjustments. We have got to start playing defense and start teaching these kids how to tackle. The stand back and wait for them to come to us defense is pathetic. Our CB's play 10yds of the ball.

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
The fact is, that the turnovers hurt us... bad. Dayton had 2 playmakers that were just too fast.
The other biggest factors (IMO), is that Dayton was back to full strength, while we were out many key players...
Hauk, Giblin, Hughes, Rembert (played, but still injured).

I think some things need to change too, as far as the short kick. I'm all for the logic, as long as they are fair catching and not returning, but if they are going to return it, they why not go ahead and kick it deep and give yourself a shot at stopping them deep? We have the speed to cover! I agree that giving them 1/2 field was detrimental, especially with the quick strike offense.

That 1st TD for Dayton shouldn't have happened. Our guys just stopped running when they reached the return guy. WTH???

I, too, agree that Faircloth has a lot to learn, being his first HC job. But I disagree with the tackling comments. I found this year to be the best tackling that I have seen in years. Our defense finds itself in 1 on 1 situations often, and we are making those tackles a VERY large percentage of the times.

If others choose to stay home because of a certain play that a coach runs, or doesn't run, that's their choice. No big loss. If that's the case, they probably missed MOST of the Burnette years, because all he did was Run, Run, Pass, Punt, for YEARS!

SMH

bark

1,000+ Posts
:stop:
Matts run,run,punt got us to the State Championship game.

Won a State Championship on run,run in 75 close in 76,77,etc...
I understand it is a different era now.

Common factor -----defense

I do agree that this years D was really good. The Lejune kid is a go getter as are several others.

I don't know anything about our defense coordinator, and if I did I have never coached a game for pay therefore in no position to evaluate

Win lose or draw our program is great as are the kids, parents, coaches and fans. PNG is a great place to get an education and participate on a 1st class football, volleyball, baseball and golf team these programs are solid with volleyball being among the best in Texas like 32/40 years in the playoffs --

Go PNG

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
MB's run, run, run, punt did not get PN-G to the State Championship game. Dustin Long did. He and his father Mike Long ran the offense and Dustin Long was a QB with the ability to make audibles at the line of scrimmage and throw the ball down the field. Those kids in 2009 that Coach Faircloth went 11-1 with were the same that MB went 3-6 with in 2008. Revisionist history is laughable.

As for adjustments on defense, the one time we loaded up on the outside to stop the sweep, the QB faked the hand-off and went right up the middle for a TD. People act as if Dayton did not have good athletes. We made enough stops to be in position to win the game. Back to back fumbles in a 1:00 time span before the end of the 3Q was the difference. Our kids on defense made several plays at or behind the line of scrimmage. #15 and #9 for Dayton were pretty good. Our kids stopped them, but did not shut them down. No one will. Those Dayton kids will make positive plays. Notice, Dayton did not turn the ball over.

The legit gripe is special teams. The Dayton punt return should not have happened. PN-G had him bottled up, but stopped tackling before getting him on the ground. I'd like to see a replay of that play...we must have had 4 or 5 kids around the ball carrier, and then, zip, he got to the sideline and was gone. And, well, the pooch kick...that's been discussed and I agree, if not executed better (higher and DEEPER), then tear that page out of the game plan. Our defense played pretty well considering Dayton started at midfield 80% of the time.

scalpem83

short kick,short kick,short kick,short kick.Does not matter who we play,we could be playing high island and we still short kick.Does the coaches realize they are only giving the d=fence 55 yards to make a stop.Lots of things could happen at full speed with an extra 25 yards to protect.Also you are leaving probably 100 to 150 yards for plays to happen (stops,fumbles,interceptions etc,etc,etc,)Basically you are saying you dont trust your d=fence and special team.I mean i am a b.f. fan accept this part of the game.We have done this every game for the last 6 yrs.I mean i understand if you had a( Kerry franks,jamal charles,kendall briles,jaquez rodgers,dekarry pierson,)boy oh boy im going down memory lane.COME ON COACH PLEASE LET OUT TEAM PLAY TO THERE FULL CAPACITY IN 2015 :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns:

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Don't get me wrong... I LOVE Matt Burnett. But I also got tired of being able to predict his plays, and there was no variety. Same song, different verse.

And, I agree with 1989NDN, in that MB didn't accomplish anything with those "same" kids, and BF did.

Sometimes, you make mistakes, and they cost you big. Such was the case.

Still extremely proud of those Indians, especially the Seniors. I hate that it ended so soon for them.

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Quarterback meeting.... Monday... 6:30 pm... open to all... especially those with questions. BF WILL answer all questions. And it's extremely interesting too.

Why not you locals come on out?

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Thoughts on the kickoffs... The only reasons that make sense for the shorts kicks are: 1) you want to keep the ball out of the hands of a dangerous kick returner, 2) you cover team is too slow to get down the field, 3) there is a decent chance that the short, high kicks will be mishandled, or 4) your kicker does not have enough leg to kick it deep with enough hang time to give coverage time to get down the field. If 1,2 and 4 are true and you're going to give up good field position anyway, at least 3 gives you a chance at getting the ball.
The offense was incredible last night. The defense hung in there and played tough, but were at a disadvantage in the speed and quickness category. The defense was sliced and diced by two good runners. That's basically a tough problem every year for PNG teams in the playoffs that is seldom answered.

The difference was the momentum shift of the two fumbles. If you keep the ball and score at least once, use some clock, and keep the momentum, it might have turned out positive.

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]It hurts because this was a good team with some special seniors. It frustrates us fans because they were a juggernaut on offense, and scrappy on defense. And it kills all of us because that elusive deep playoff run is tough to find in the last 15 years. [/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]We should celebrate that and congratulate them for what they accomplished. [/font]If Morse and Sparks aren't at least HM All-State it will be a travesty.
[/size][font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Sparks, Halfin, Hughes, Walker, Murdock and the rest of the seniors will be missed. The core is back next year to finally break through. Defense, kicking game and offensive line will be the areas to improve over the offseason.[/font][font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Thanks for the great memories Indians![/font][size=small]

scalpem83

great job coaches,players.Great execution and planning for the Dayton game.Just saying not every team the last 5 years have a great threat.Have y'all seen our kids this is one of the fastest group of kids i have seen in a long time.I am very proud of all our coaches and players.Seniors thank for the memories

rod

these teams today and i am not talking only about PNG they score a lot of points but also give up a lot of points i guess they have no defense.

prepballfan

There's No Place Like The Reservation Friday Night
Staff member
There are definately things that could be corrected. I like what we have next season returning we will be talented!!!!! Looking foward to next season.

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
If I'm not mistaken, #2 Georgetown didn't even make the playoffs! That's the type of competition there is out there this yr!

Still and all, Kaleb Sparks broke the PNG record for TD catches
Morse broke the PNG record for TD throws (beating out Doty)
PNG finished the yr. with #1 offense in district
PNG finished the yr. with #1 defense in district

I'd say that this was a successful yr. Sure were a lot of fun to watch!

bandkid

Staff member
1989NDN said:
MB's run, run, run, punt did not get PN-G to the State Championship game. Dustin Long did. He and his father Mike Long ran the offense and Dustin Long was a QB with the ability to make audibles at the line of scrimmage and throw the ball down the field. Those kids in 2009 that Coach Faircloth went 11-1 with were the same that MB went 3-6 with in 2008. Revisionist history is laughable.

^ That.

Defense did just fine this year. In fact, the defense kept us in games when the offense gave out. The first half of the Nederland game, all of the Central game and the second half of the WO-S games are great examples. Those losses were so close because the defense went out there, got the ball back and gave the offense plenty of chances it didn't make anything of. In previous years, there's been plenty of good reasons to complain about the defense. This is not one of those years.

We need to change three things going forward: scrap the pooch kick, work more on the fundamentals, and clean up the errors. The talent was there this year. What kept a good season from being a great season were penalties, turnovers and injuries. How do you fix those things? You work on the fundamentals, condition the kids, instill a little more discipline, and let experience do the rest. The only part of the gameplan that needs changing is the pooch kick. The rest of this is stuff that gets worked out in practice and with experience.

bark

1,000+ Posts
scalpem83 said:
great job coaches,players.Great execution and planning for the Dayton game.Just saying not every team the last 5 years have a great threat.Have y'all seen our kids this is one of the fastest group of kids i have seen in a long time.I am very proud of all our coaches and players.Seniors thank for the memories
Yes, thank you Seniors! :band: :thumbsup: :clap: :clap:

We do have a lot of talent this year and the next few I am told.

But, at some point, we need a District Championship, beat Nederland and make a serious run in the playoffs.

2,3 and 4th place gets you to the playoffs but heck you can be 0 & 10 and go to the playoffs in Texas.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
bark said:
scalpem83 said:
Yes, thank you Seniors! :band: :thumbsup: :clap: :clap:

We do have a lot of talent this year and the next few I am told.

But, at some point, we need a District Championship, beat Nederland and make a serious run in the playoffs.

2,3 and 4th place gets you to the playoffs but heck you can be 0 & 10 and go to the playoffs in Texas.

AGREED 100%.

It's time to beat Nederland 4 or 5 years straight and time to put hardware in the trophy case. District Championships and a deep playoff run or two. Another Ken Watson - Doug Ethridge type run where PN-G rarely lost to anyone and the Indians never lost to Nederland.

badndn

500+ Posts
Its also tuff when you game plan for a passing QB all week then get to the game and they placed their top WR and player at QB and run at you. This was WOS all over again with Johnson their top WR going in at QB and the gameplan totally changed.
Fun season. Gotta hope though that the returners have learned what it takes to win big games. We lost all four big games we were in this year on one or two plays each game.
On the defense I think the two biggest differences in modern day football and the olden days is uptempo offenses that score quickly are great fun to watch, but we all gotta realize that this also means your own D will be subject to way more field time. Look around. Allen wins most game 56-28. They give up points. The key is they make a handful of stops and that offense doesnt get stopped.
The other difference today from years past is the regulated time for full contact practice!!! Dont forget that these coaches are very limited today on how much contact they are allowed to put these kids through making it tuff to develop good tackling techniques. You can teach all you want, but OJT is needed to prove they understand. And OJT is now very limited.

bark

1,000+ Posts
badndn said:
Its also tuff when you game plan for a passing QB all week then get to the game and they placed their top WR and player at QB and run at you. This was WOS all over again with Johnson their top WR going in at QB and the gameplan totally changed.
Fun season. Gotta hope though that the returners have learned what it takes to win big games. We lost all four big games we were in this year on one or two plays each game.
On the defense I think the two biggest differences in modern day football and the olden days is uptempo offenses that score quickly are great fun to watch, but we all gotta realize that this also means your own D will be subject to way more field time. Look around. Allen wins most game 56-28. They give up points. The key is they make a handful of stops and that offense doesnt get stopped.
The other difference today from years past is the regulated time for full contact practice!!! Dont forget that these coaches are very limited today on how much contact they are allowed to put these kids through making it tuff to develop good tackling techniques. You can teach all you want, but OJT is needed to prove they understand. And OJT is now very limited.
As far as the qb change that's a coaching adjustment. All teams have the same rules/practice time.

Hope we keep our assistant coaches. Saw that BC let Stump go, that's one opening.

Justafan

2,000+ Posts
Defensively we are improved over the past couple years. What drives me nuts is we give the opposing receivers a 10 yard cushion on almost every play including 3rd down and long. We need to be more aggressive with the defensive play calling. We give up WAY to many big plays on 3rd and long. Would love to see us move Morris to ILB. We need to beef up on both lines. Giblins injury killed us on Offense during the the season, needed that extra big go to receiver to open up the running game. McZeal needs to get more aggresive, kid has way too much talent. I know he is young, but needs to get rid of the laziness on plays. Would also like to see him in the Wildcat!!!. If Cropper wants to be the starting RB over Runnels he needs to get stronger and stay healthy. We're going to miss Sparks the most, hopefully someone steps up next year to take his place.

prepballfan

There's No Place Like The Reservation Friday Night
Staff member
Replacing Sparks is impossible but next years crop will be better at WR as a whole. Best QB in district back. Two very good and capable RB with varsity experience back. Im am not real sure about the line on O not saying they are bad just dont know I think 2 or 3 are back. Anyone out there knows please inform us. Supposed to be 8 I think back on O and 5 or 6 on D

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores