Southlake Carrol Coordinator Jeff Joseph to be next PNG coach

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
He’s certainly got a direct connection with great culture, experience and all things football. Todd Dodge, Gary Joseph… you know he has absorbed as much as many will ever see.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Seems like a Faircloth type hire but with a defensive minded background.
Well, a lot of people have complained about defense. What’s the old saying… Be careful what you ask for… but seriously, good coordinators and coaches will assist him with maxing out the offense and defense. And regardless of what the know it alls say , there is enough talent here to win big.

90NDN

500+ Posts
I'm exited for the season to start! Appears to be a great hire ..and I'm sure TD got Riley's input on the hire. If we can shore up our defense and find a running back, we should be in for a great run. Anyone know if we have any diamonds in the rough coming up?

PatsCowboy

IndianFan,

People blame "lack of talent" without ever surveying the landscape. From the Port Athur/Highland Park game of the mid 40s (HP had Bobby Layne & Doak Walker) through to the last decade, I would submit to you that the most talented team has only won the biggest division 2-3 times:

1) Earl's Tyler John Tyler team had about a dozen D-1 & future pro athletes on it

2) Jack Yates team under (pardon the profanity) Luther Booker - their scoring record should have an asterisk beside it. Luther never liked me much but sure as hell didn't after Joe Tusa arranged for the three of us to have lunch at Bonnies on Gulf Frwy.

3) Possibly Oscar Cripps' Stratford team that went undefeated. For those too young to know, the closest Stratford came to losing that year was at The Reservation, when on the last play PNG's receiver was open in the back of the end zone and the pass was about half a foot over his hands. Humidity and heat were so high that Craig James (again pardon the profanity) only played a few downs. Every time he started out on the field he fell down with cramps.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
IndianFan,

People blame "lack of talent" without ever surveying the landscape. From the Port Athur/Highland Park game of the mid 40s (HP had Bobby Layne & Doak Walker) through to the last decade, I would submit to you that the most talented team has only won the biggest division 2-3 times:

1) Earl's Tyler John Tyler team had about a dozen D-1 & future pro athletes on it

2) Jack Yates team under (pardon the profanity) Luther Booker - their scoring record should have an asterisk beside it. Luther never liked me much but sure as hell didn't after Joe Tusa arranged for the three of us to have lunch at Bonnies on Gulf Frwy.

3) Possibly Oscar Cripps' Stratford team that went undefeated. For those too young to know, the closest Stratford came to losing that year was at The Reservation, when on the last play PNG's receiver was open in the back of the end zone and the pass was about half a foot over his hands. Humidity and heat were so high that Craig James (again pardon the profanity) only played a few downs. Every time he started out on the field he fell down with cramps.
The offensive production is there. The defense will be tweaked , adjusted, overhauled, whatever he needs to do. The weaknesses will be spotted and worked on. Good times ahead.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
IndianFan,

I will agree with #1 and #2, but 1978 Stratford? I know the 1988 Dallas Carter Cowboys were disqualified, but that team was LOADED. 28 players received college scholarships and 8 players played in the NFL. I'm not sure how you rank JT, Yates, and Dallas Carter, but, to me, those three are far and away the best to put on shoulder pads. I'd go JT (how can anyone vote against Earl Campbell), then JT, and then Dallas Carter, but you could flip them and make a compelling argument. I will say that Stratford handled Plano in the 1978 state championship game in the Astrodome. The same Plano team in 1977 that beat PN-G 13-10. Plano returned a strong group of seniors: DL/LB Billy Ray Smith, QB Steve Ulmer, and RB Ricky Gaddis. Stratford beat them 29-13.

PatsCowboy

I totally disregard Carter because that was a Dallas ISD administration handpicked team. Only a fraction of those kids were zoned to attend Carter. Aside from being comprised of subhuman character, they were and remain a joke to all of north Texas and most HS football fans. If I allow you to go from Texarkana to San Antonio to handpick your team, give them cars, clothes, spending money, and prime targets to rob, would you think that a fair representation of Texas High School football?

Yes, they were talented, but could have taught Barry and Jackie how to cheat. This year's SOC team is not quite that bad, but don't ask me about "the battle of the beltway". Where do you think all the next generation of Carter players wind up?

PatsCowboy

I used to tease Oscar that they had to be the best team in the state to overcome his coaching. Great coach, greater human being. One of his sons is HC at Spring Woods, the other is assistant to Gary Koch at Memorial.

PatsCowboy

bark,

What is the cost of the indoor facility? Last one I was involved with was a few years back and is was $300,000.

What would happen if PNG upped ticket prices $5 per game or charged a donation to retain your seats of $5-20?

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
PNGISD had several donors that totaled a few hundred thousand. Not nearly enough and their donation was eventually retracted when the plans were scaled down to something like a 35 yard field with no AC. The total cost years ago for a full 100 yard facility was in the millions.

The other issue is where to build it. The area at the end of the new wing seems like a 75-80 yard area. With three 100 yard grass fields on the other side of the canal, that would be prime for a 100 yard activity center. Football players would have to jog over there though. Would be a manageable problem. One can dream.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
So no named finalists.

Decided by Todd Dodge and 5 unknown employees.
Making sure I have it correct.
Best of luck to the new coach and team
Indoor facilities next?
Not unknown. The selection committee names are published. And you know Dodge had some input. There is a strong Westlake and SLC connection there.

HJJ97NDN

100+ Posts
bark,

What is the cost of the indoor facility? Last one I was involved with was a few years back and is was $300,000.

What would happen if PNG upped ticket prices $5 per game or charged a donation to retain your seats of $5-20?
I would absolutely donate/pay more per tickets for better facilities/indoor facility.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Our earliest discussions on the topic of indoor facilities.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
I just removed a post. Please do not make insinuating comments about future coaches. All input and opinion here is valued but implying negative issues with no basis is both unfair and harmful to the program. PN-G is in a new phase. Let’s start it off with positive momentum.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores