Sugar Coating Part Deux

OldEagle

500+ Posts
Hey bark, you do realize that last years 10-0 regulation season included close games that we just happen to win so do you call that season a "poor season"? Sometimes there is not much difference between a win and a loss and if our boys are giving their all, isn't that what counts. Don't get me wrong - I would love to win all our games and have these boys experience the playoffs but I am so very proud of the way they try (win or lose)!

carzan

500+ Posts
And last year we went into OT to win the Texas city game and had to go into OT to beat Central. We got some breaks last year that we just haven't gotten this year. I believe those types of things (breaks that go your way) can be measured in averages. there are paeks when everything seems to go your way and valleys when it seems nothing is going your way. I believe we are coming out of one of those valleys. We are literally 4 breaks away from having another perfect season thus far IMO.

bark

1,000+ Posts
Justafan we can disagree and we will. But your remark about my buddies on the Old staff is total BS. I went to school with Matt and Jay (old BB coach) and that's it. I think this staff is great and have said that before. Your insinuation that the old staff were bad coaches etc... is your opinion and I respect it, Matt stayed too long I agree. He did take us to a State Game and a few playoff appearances remember.

We can differ but you don't have to go for the throat.

Why do you think they (old no good coaches) were "my buddies"?

badndn

500+ Posts
Last year we won some close games because we played defense! 14 PPG against last season = District Championship

2009 Reg Season
Offense: 29 PPG
Defense: 14 PPG
(10-0)

2010 Reg Season
Offense: 36 PPG
Defense: 29 PPG
(3-4)

We got some breaks last year because our defense made those breaks. Folks, if we could get off of the field in half of our 3rd down situations and get the Offense the ball, we would score 50 a game this year.
I think once week 8 rolls around, you have pretty much become the team you are going to be! So let's just keep rooting the boys on and hope for a few stops this weekend. I don't expect us to shutdown anyone especially LCM, but I also don't expect LCM to stop our offense, so a few stops and I think we can win a shootout.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Last season:
1. Squeeked by Barbers Hill 21-20
2. 37-7 over Crosby
3. Beat Texas City 22-16 in OT
4. 27-20 over LCM
5. 23-7 over Nederland
6. 30-7 over Livingston
7. 35-13 over Vidor
8. 39-6 over Lumberton
9. 35-20 over Ozen
10. 25-22 OT win over Central

As stated earlier a few plays and a few points were the difference between a perfect season and 6-4.
In 2009 the Indians got some breaks, created some opportunities, etc. So far in 2010 it hasn't worked out that way.

That's football...

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
badndn and IndianFan ... you are both 100% correct ... if we could get the defense off the field after a 3rd and long or 4th and short, we would be 6-1 or 7-0. Our defense made plays last year. This season, we've missed some plays on defense, other teams are converting on 3rd down, and some breaks went against us. That's football. For all intents and purposes, we are in the playoffs now ... we must win and advance to have a shot at post season play ... finish 6-4 and then plan for 6 more games. As long as our kids play hard and have fun, I'm good. Granted, I'm a lot better when we win, too. (ha-ha).

Go Indians. Peace.

Justafan

2,000+ Posts
bark said:
Justafan we can disagree and we will. But your remark about my buddies on the Old staff is total BS. I went to school with Matt and Jay (old BB coach) and that's it. I think this staff is great and have said that before. Your insinuation that the old staff were bad coaches etc... is your opinion and I respect it, Matt stayed too long I agree. He did take us to a State Game and a few playoff appearances remember.

We can differ but you don't have to go for the throat.

Why do you think they (old no good coaches) were "my buddies"?

I am not going for the throat, just stating the facts. I think alot of Matt, but having good assistant coaches is what got him to the state championship but he ran all them off with his total control coaching style.

ingainerYYZ

100+ Posts
justafan .................... you are so right !!!! how many times did MB have year`s such as this ? several . i for one am not disappointed with the season . could it be better ? sure it could , but we have had some very close games . let`s keep the faith and trust that BF and staff will make the right decisions . SCALP`EM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
NDN NATION said:
Why does it always go back the MB era? Aren't we all tired of hearing it, I know I am for sure.

A few more years and it will fade away.

Last season the defense carried a young offense early on. This year the offense is carrying a lot of new starters on defense. As long as it all comes together at the end...

png tribe

100+ Posts
A bad season is a losing season! If you don't go to the playoff's, it is a bad season! Last season has nothing to do with season. It don't matter if you lose in OT or not, losing is losing. We wouldn't have new coaches if we wouldn't have had a couple of losing season's. If we have a few more losing season's, then you will see another group of coaches. People don't like losing!

BBHS-65

Although I would prefer we win all of our games, even the ones we lost have been exciting to watch. Lets win the rest. Can't wait for Friday night. Go INDIANS.

P.S. Great article about Jayce Nelson in the Port Arthur News today. He is awesome to watch.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
png tribe said:
A bad season is a losing season! If you don't go to the playoff's, it is a bad season! Last season has nothing to do with season. It don't matter if you lose in OT or not, losing is losing. We wouldn't have new coaches if we wouldn't have had a couple of losing season's. If we have a few more losing season's, then you will see another group of coaches. People don't like losing!

Losing this year is a different context than the recent years in the past. There is much, much more upside to this program.

Justafan

2,000+ Posts
IndianFan said:
png tribe said:

Losing this year is a different context than the recent years in the past. There is much, much more upside to this program.

Totally agree IndianFan. Much more upside to the program than years past.

bandkid

Staff member
Wow. We go undefeated for eleven straight games and lose by six points to an eventual state finalist and then lose four games by 17 points (three on scores made in the last minute of the game) the following season and people are already jumping ship.

I seem to remember the announcer saying at the game where we honored our past coaches that Coach Ethridge (sp?) started at PN-G in 1970 (or somewhere in that area - maybe '71 or '72; please correct me if I'm wrong). The 2009 playoffs shirts have all of the years in which the Indians went to the playoffs listed on them. They have the first year in which the Indians went to the playoffs in the 1970s listed as 1974.

All of my life, I've listened to people talk about the "glory years" that were the 1970s and I have read many, many posts on this board glorifying Coach Ethridge (rightly so, it appears). So, with a little deductive reasoning, I've discerned that he was a great coach that did a lot of amazing, unexpected things with the Indians... and that he was a coach who took a few years to build a program.

We've got talent. There's no doubt about that. But then again, Ozen has probably had a comparable amount of talent in previous years, too (and way more speed). How many times have the Panthers gone to the playoffs since Ozen was put in this district? Not too many. Why? Because it takes two things that Ozen doesn't have: coaching and a program.

We've got the coaching. There's no doubt about that, either. Does that mean we have the program? Not necessarily. I think it's obvious that Coach Faircloth and his staff are in the process of building a program that, if allowed to be fully implemented, will bring PN-G consistent pre-season, district, and post-season success for years to come. However, that doesn't mean we're quite to that point yet.

If it took a coach that is well known for success like Doug Ethridge time to implement a program, don't you think it is going to take Brandon Faircloth some time, too?

But then again, what do I know? I'm just a member of the band. ;D

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores