Texas City @ PN-G

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
Seems like it depends on which team shows up, particularly on offense. Definitely need a better offensive game plan than we had against FBM. Also need to clean up all the critical mistakes if we want to get the W. As I said in another thread, it seems like this game will play a crucial role in determining our success in the district and the success of our season as a whole.

snowbird

FBM game is over, we new it would be a tough game to win. Now lets limit the mental mistakes and win out. Our defense is going to keep us in games. Remember last year offense did not start to click until half way through the season. We have to give QB more time, throwing on the run and off his back foot is not productive. Coaches will adjust and things will work out.

Scalp'em

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
In HS unless you win track meets regularly
I see very little reason to put a punt returner back except to fair catch and prevent rolls. But honestly I see very few catchable balls roll in HS (not saying never)
Especially with the rule changes (I believe early 2000s where every player can leave the LOS at the snap
To me the block in the back risk negates even the “roll” factor JMO

100+ Posts
In HS unless you win track meets regularly
I see very little reason to put a punt returner back except to fair catch and prevent rolls. But honestly I see very few catchable balls roll in HS (not saying never)
Especially with the rule changes (I believe early 2000s where every player can leave the LOS at the snap
To me the block in the back risk negates even the “roll” factor JMO
Agree. I wouldn't have a punt returner back unless it was absolutely necessary to stop the clock. And maybe not even then.
Wrt TC, it'll be another tough game I think.

Davidp43

100+ Posts
I heard that TC has a really good back. Is he fast or powerful or combo? Hows TC O and D lines? Is reed out for the season?

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
Agree. I wouldn't have a punt returner back unless it was absolutely necessary to stop the clock. And maybe not even then.
Wrt TC, it'll be another tough game I think.
To me you either hurry the punter or make him think you’re coming but mainly be there to put pressure on bad snaps and maybe fall back into fake prevent
The Chance of a bad snap and or bad punt far exceeds a return of equal or greater value.

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
To me the game took a huge turn when we stopped them 3&out then muffed the punt and they made it 7-0
Like the air was let out of the tires
Then 14-0 we’re riding on rims where even at that point 7-0 you feel like you’re still in it or who knows maybe 7-7

100+ Posts
I heard that TC has a really good back. Is he fast or powerful or combo? Hows TC O and D lines? Is reed out for the season?
WRT Reed, all I know is hearsay. There's other good backs but we miss him. My personal W.A. guess is that he'll return at least for the playoffs if we make the playoffs.

Don't know much about this year's TC team, but they're always tough.

prepballfan

There's No Place Like The Reservation Friday Night
Staff member
Texas City

Texas City 27-13 over Friendswood
Texas City 0-7 Loss to Galveston Ball
Texas City 22-19 over UANL Monterrey, MX
Texas City 41-7 over Galena Park

Texas City's opponents Win Loss is 9-4 with out The team from Mexico because I cant find their record. However Galveston ball has played mostly the inner-city Houston schools.
I like our chances against Texas City. Galena Park also played a weaker non-district schedule

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member

2022 Texas City Preview (DCTF)​

Coach: Leland Surovik. Lettermen R/L: 30/17. Starters returning O/D: 6/6. 2021: 10-2 area finalist/6-1 district.

Players to watch: DE Szyron Scott (6-2, 205, 4.6), RB Caleb Bell (5-10, 235, 4.5), OL Caden Teeples (5-11, 225, 4.8), DB Aldrick Stromile (6-1, 200, 4.7), TE/DE Evan Tullos (6-1, 210, 4.7), LB Camryn Grief (6-2, 190, 4.7). Top juniors: QB Joey Duran (5-8, 160, 4.7), DT Christian White (5-11, 240, 4.9). Top sophomore: RB/DB Maurice Burton (5-10, 165, 4.6).

Other prospects: RB Trini Garcia, RB Ricky Green, WR/DB Clyde Burton III, WR Kenyon Parker, DB Evan Simmons, DT Bryce Williams.

2022 notes: Texas City had a big season with double-digit wins and an area round playoff appearance and with six starters back on both sides of the ball, Surovik’s squad is poised to challenge in a district that got tougher with the addition of powerful Fort Bend Marshall team. RB Bell (1,123 yards, 19 TDs rushing) had a big sophomore season and is the workhorse for Texas City’s offense, but he’ll run behind a young offensive line. DE Scott (39 tackles, 16 TFL, 12 sacks), fresh off a sensational sophomore campaign, is a disruptive force on the defensive line. LB Grief (59 tackles, 14 TFL, 1 sack) also returns after a big sophomore season. Aside from youth on the offensive line, the biggest question mark will be depth in the defensive front seven.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Notice they like to send that big RB straight downhill. North to South. Last year that was disastrous for PNG. Some strong, mistake free linebacker play will be necessary to stop that before it gets out of hand.

100+ Posts
Notice they like to send that big RB straight downhill. North to South. Last year that was disastrous for PNG. Some strong, mistake free linebacker play will be necessary to stop that before it gets out of hand.
That'll be interesting. I didn't see the varsity game last year. I did see the JV game, which PNG won. QB #14 and rb #33 had great games, as well as several of the other Jr's including the LBs. This should be another tough game for the Indians, I hope they get fired up.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Bell ran for 133 and 4 TDs in the game last year.

TCYardsAvgLongTD

In the 2021 game the Indians offense moved the ball well and had a 35-21 halftime lead. A second half defensive collapse and inability to score was the difference in that game. Final score in overtime, TC 49, PN-G 42. Different year but both teams return a lot of the same starters. But the PNG defense is a different animal this season.

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
Yes. No idea that guy was a Sophomore last year.
I remember saying he reminded me of Earl last year. Uh oh
Last year’s game was one of those snowball effect games

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Texas City burned us for 283 passing yards last year as well. The QB and top receiver from that game graduated.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores