The Head Coach Speculation Thread

prepballfan

There's No Place Like The Reservation Friday Night
Staff member
Thats what worries me being a top notch job should carry first rate pay. Will the school board be ready to do this.

modmouse78

100+ Posts
That is what i was thinking. It might not be such a high sought after position if they do not want to come up with the money. We might now be able to afford some of those top coaches everyone has been talking about. Of course, i do not know what we can afford, so that is just speculation.

yankeedawg

500+ Posts
2.gif
TALKS

Start passing the hat now cause I'd guess somewheres around 90-95M is what it's going to take.

4.gif
from across the tracks

pngfan1

PNGfan said:
pngfan1 said:
pngfan93 said:
pngfan1 said:
Think back 1988, we went 1 - 9, then hired malone and went 10-2 in 1989. If we get the right man it will not take a few rough years.

Only this time we will not be dropping in classification as we did in 1989.
Very good point, playing in the larger class probably had a lot to do with 1 - 9 in '88. With the talent coming(regardless of what the people on other boards think), I believe the right coach can make the transition fairly painless.I just look at how Craig Stump brought West Brook from joke of Beaumont to State power pretty quick.I must honestly say we are far better off now than West Brook was before Stump, so just maybe.

WB was down for a couple of years when Rabb was head coach, but they weren't a joke of Beaumont. In the early 90's when I was there our varsity was 20-2 in two years, and dominated everyone in this area including #1 4A team WOS 34-7, Yates, Deer Park, Booker T. Washington, along with other high powered teams back then with a handful of D-1 prospects. Three players from our team went pro, and a bunch played D-1 football. It goes back to the cycle of talent in each age group. This was done at the end of the career of good coach with Rabb being the OC.
I was referring to the few years right before Stump took over. Despite being the largest of the three BISD schools they were getting beat in the Beaumont Bowl games. It seems to me that since Ozen came into existence West Brook declined. My main point was how incredible a job Stump has done.He has built a state power. I wish he would be interested to coming to the Reservation.

PNGfan

100+ Posts
pngfan1 said:
PNGfan said:
pngfan1 said:
pngfan93 said:
pngfan1 said:
Think back 1988, we went 1 - 9, then hired malone and went 10-2 in 1989. If we get the right man it will not take a few rough years.

Only this time we will not be dropping in classification as we did in 1989.
Very good point, playing in the larger class probably had a lot to do with 1 - 9 in '88. With the talent coming(regardless of what the people on other boards think), I believe the right coach can make the transition fairly painless.I just look at how Craig Stump brought West Brook from joke of Beaumont to State power pretty quick.I must honestly say we are far better off now than West Brook was before Stump, so just maybe.

WB was down for a couple of years when Rabb was head coach, but they weren't a joke of Beaumont. In the early 90's when I was there our varsity was 20-2 in two years, and dominated everyone in this area including #1 4A team WOS 34-7, Yates, Deer Park, Booker T. Washington, along with other high powered teams back then with a handful of D-1 prospects. Three players from our team went pro, and a bunch played D-1 football. It goes back to the cycle of talent in each age group. This was done at the end of the career of good coach with Rabb being the OC.
I was referring to the few years right before Stump took over. Despite being the largest of the three BISD schools they were getting beat in the Beaumont Bowl games. It seems to me that since Ozen came into existence West Brook declined. My main point was how incredible a job Stump has done.He has built a state power. I wish he would be interested to coming to the Reservation.
No problem I've become an NDN and have been one for a while now. I agree with what you're saying, but I do believe hiring from the outside is the best for PNG. Also, I think you get a guy with an open mind and PNG could be dangerous.

pngfan1

Hope the hiring committee does their homework, like they did in 1988/89. I know when we got Malone(who I never heard of at the time) I thought they made a mistake. Boy, was I wrong. Although I was hoping they were going to get Bruce Bush(who was a finalist for the job).That probably would have have turned out pretty good also, look at his record. But, I can't argue with the decision made for hiring Danny Malone. Well, I guess my point is get behind whoever they hire and give him support and a chance.

squaw

1,000+ Posts
I heard some interesting things yesterday. Someone very credible told me that Coach Traylor at Gilmer had previously expressed an admiration for and interest in PNG football. He stated that he was impressed with the fans and community support along with the quality of play. He loved our spirit. This was when he was a coach at Jacksonville. He stated that when he took over at Gilmer, he told his players that he wanted to emulate PNG. His record as a head coach is great. Perhaps he'd consider coming to PNG???? What does everyone else think?

badndn

500+ Posts
THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN' BOUT :rocks:. If Traylor shows any interest then get him here :welcome:. But that being said I also heard that the Gilmer job was his dream job and he has set himself up there for life. He is Coach, Mayor, Sheriff and Judge in Gilmer! Plus he has a team that will return a ton from this year, and they ain't finished this year yet.

pngfan1

I heard the same, but what if? Wouldn't that be perfect. He is a good man,leader,coach.He would be a complete package.

pngfan93

1,000+ Posts
Let's not forget that Dodge left SLC after his son's Junior year. They had talent returning, and were coming off of another state championship. Of course, Dodge went to the collegiate level.

PNGfan

100+ Posts
Take a look at the Kaufman coach, could be a diamond in the rough. Has a pretty high winning pct and won a state title when he coached 2A Corrigan-Camden. He's at a 3A and they are playing Celina this week in the Quarter finals. Appears this guy knows how to win.

badndn

500+ Posts
pngfan93 said:
Let's not forget that Dodge left SLC after his son's Junior year. They had talent returning, and were coming off of another state championship. Of course, Dodge went to the collegiate level.

Dodge also took a huge pay raise! But if they don't start winning at UNT Todd may be looking to get back into the HS ranks again soon. ;)

modmouse78

100+ Posts
PNGfan said:
Take a look at the Kaufman coach, could be a diamond in the rough. Has a pretty high winning pct and won a state title when he coached 2A Corrigan-Camden. He's at a 3A and they are playing Celina this week in the Quarter finals. Appears this guy knows how to win.

Just wondering, what is your interest in Kaufman? You sure have been pushing for him. Again, not saying anything bad, just wondering what you have seen, or heard, that makes you want us to go for him so much.

squaw

1,000+ Posts
tribesman said:
I like Jeff Traylor ALOT !!! He needs to get a long look if he shows any interest at all !!! :thumbsup:
I think so, too. Trayor has coached two state championships and in his first seven years, sent 36 players to play college ball under scholarship which is something we need to do for our boys, too. He is 40 y/o. Also, we should look closely at Bryan Barbay. He's also 40 y/o and has three sons coming up who would be a great addition to our program. His record is good,too. Previous to the HC job at Coldspring, he was defensive coordinator at Kirbyville.

WOSgrad

We in Mustang land had a chance to see up close and personal the handywork of Coach Traylor this weekend I can certainly tell you that if PN-G has a chance to get this man, you need to do so. His stats at Gilmer are easily obtained, so I'll leave that to others.

But it was something else that was apparent...that is the Buckeyes were a well disciplined team who shows nothing but class while on the football field. I'd want my son to learn from this man.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Bruce Bush emulated PN-G at San Marcos. Alvin Credeur has modeled Lumberton after PNG. The list goes on and on...

PNGfan

100+ Posts
modmouse78 said:
PNGfan said:

Just wondering, what is your interest in Kaufman? You sure have been pushing for him. Again, not saying anything bad, just wondering what you have seen, or heard, that makes you want us to go for him so much.
I just brought up todd York coach at Kaufman after coming across his name on a site I found about the top 100 highest winning % coaches. I looked him up and found his stats to be pretty good. He accomplished to get a state title at a 2A school and has brought a 3A school deep into the playoffs two years in a row. He's fairly young and seems to be energetic. His team won the US Army award after beating the #1 3A team in the state earlier in the year and he's from Conroe in the Houston area. he has no ties that I know of in this area. I'm just throwing his name out there, but I don't know him and couldn't really argue alot of points for him. I'm fishing just like everybody else. I was impressed by his winning and his teams seem to do good, but it is at the lower level.

Indianman

Well. Guys. All I have to say is here at PNG with the whole robin hood deal we do not pay coaches all that much compared to other schools. I know it sounds good to think a man will just drop what he has with his family in one town and move to coach here for less pay. Not so likely. I know personally a few instances that even some assitant coaches from Houston areas could not take such a finacial risk. Just a thought. Then a coach from out of area has to look into buying house in PN, not so cheap either. Maybe you Burnett burners should have thought before wishinng for a new Tribesman. Not being bitter, I wish the best and want the best for our PNG Indians. Looking at all these records of coaches to come in, we have a crazy time ahead of us. Best of luck to PNG.

squaw

1,000+ Posts
No offense intended, Indianman, but you sure do sound bitter. What do you mean by "all you Burnett burners?" I take that as an insult.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores