The Head Coach Speculation Thread

19cherokee90

Modmouse...i'd assume Satcher would keep alot of these guys...hopefully....it's no secret there are a couple of them one inparticular that if my kids dont get to play for im gonna be ticked. Thats one thing people better watch out for....alot of people want someone from out of town to come in...well along with that...there are ALOT of good coaches on this staff now that have their jobs in jeapordy right now and i think with Satcher or Long you'd have a better chance of probably just seeing the OC and DC change hands and a new HC...most would probably stay put.

NDNTime

1,000+ Posts
I don't think that major changes need to be made. From what 1990 says about Satcher, he has a good mix of both an offensive and defensive mind. That is very attracting to me. One thing that I would love to see happen (but would likely never happen), would be to have a coach like Satcher to come in as a head coach and then get an offensive minded coach like Long to come in as the OC. I know, I am probably just dreaming but it would be nice. As far the defense, Arnaud learned a lot under MB and can learn even more from Satcher. Arnaud's opportunities to better the defense would multiply because of the contacts that Satcher has at the college level.

I'm not advocating for Satcher. I'm just saying that I want a coach with his fire!

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
PN-G already has a solid DC on staff with Carl Broussard. Offensive coordinator is where things need to improve.

19cherokee90

Man its so hard to talk about this stuff...you know most all of us know or have family friends of somebody somehow involved in some way shape or form. When ya think about it..thats what makes PNG so great...Im with you two post above...I really dont think a whole lot of changes need to be made...HC and OC and maybe move some guys around to coach things they have more experience in and get this thing rolling. I may be biased...but man i sure like Satcher here...he'll bring exactly what people have been screaming for years....we would be watching college systems at the high school level...thats the thing with Satcher...he is ALWAYS staying on top of the latest and greatest. You know if im not mistaken...with Ethridge, Troy, Burnett you pretty much got one scheme day one when they entered and was running atleast a variance of that same scheme when they left. Nothing bad about that,,hey if something works why fix it?? Howvere..Its important to me that we get a coach who will change with the times and stay one step ahead of the rest of the area teams. You may get this with these other names??? Maybe?? Not sure?? I know ya get this with Satch.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a few thoughts on some of the current varsity assistants that have really produced. I'm not that familiar with the others and can't really voice an opinion.

Segura - has consistently produced a good running back corp.
Welch - Other than 2008, has done a good job with the offensive line
Broussard - seems to be a solid DC and is well respected
Cobb - An excellent DE coach since 1975. A position that is consistently superior at PNG. But he's a veteran coach that may be nearing retirement.

Another thought... If Satcher got the job would he bring Jake Burnett over with him?

19cherokee90

I dont think you get anymore bigtime then these names we are throwing around. We live in the heart of Texas high school football....these guys we are talking about are good...really good...most every name Ive read on these boards are superior coaches. You know... I didnt think about Satcher bringing J Burnett with him....you'd have to think he would...if Jake were in the position to move you'd have to think why wouldnt he offer Jake a position??? That would be a plus in my opnion too...from what Ive heard jake is a really excellent linebacker coach.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
With Matt gone, and possibly Riley if he retires, there would likely be an opening for a LB coach. So if Satcher got the job you might have two Burnetts leaving and one coming back. ;D (All speculation and small talk)

Jake Burnett was one if the best high school defensive tackles I've ever seen play. He couldn't be blocked.

TravelingNDN

I dont understand the infatuation with a 3a or 2a coach who has had success. I dont know how many 2A games you guys have been to but you can win if you have 2 good athletes. I want a coach that can prove he can "coach" not have a couple of years with some good athletes and win. I think we have seen that before.......A good 5A coordinator or HC had coached against other schools that are loaded with kids is what I want for my kids. I would think the Satcher guy based on his resume could have gone down to a 3A or 2A school but he probably has bigger asperations. I dont know if Satcher is the guy but I do know that a winner in a 2A program doesnt relate to success in a big time program.

Whodat

This is true, most 2A programs and the majority of 3A programs don't run sophisticated offenses, wing T version is what Alvarez is running, why would we want that.

modmouse78

100+ Posts
Yes, i agree. The Kirbyville coach might be good at where he is, but that does not mean he will have success at the level we play at or we need. We need to be looking at 4A and 5A coaches that have had success.

PNGfan

100+ Posts
TravelingNDN said:
I dont understand the infatuation with a 3a or 2a coach who has had success. I dont know how many 2A games you guys have been to but you can win if you have 2 good athletes. I want a coach that can prove he can "coach" not have a couple of years with some good athletes and win. I think we have seen that before.......A good 5A coordinator or HC had coached against other schools that are loaded with kids is what I want for my kids. I would think the Satcher guy based on his resume could have gone down to a 3A or 2A school but he probably has bigger asperations. I dont know if Satcher is the guy but I do know that a winner in a 2A program doesnt relate to success in a big time program.

Dan Hooks? Enough said. Some of these guys can win at any level given the talent

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Any WO-S fans that read this, correct me if I'm wrong. But isn't a lot of Hooks' success due to some excellent, longtime assistant coaches?

The same could be said for Doug Ethridge in the 70s.

19cherokee90

at a 2a and some 3 a schools...you have one stud running back and your gonna put up 50 points a game....i dont know how many of you have been to many small school games but usually your quarterback stays on the field and plays the tuba at halftime....you have lots of kids who look like their in the eighth grade and guess what...they have to play and try and tackle the 6'2 210 running back because thats all youve got.

no comparison at what we do at pn-g and what a 2a or 3 a school does...totaly different ball game.

modmouse78

100+ Posts
PNGfan said:
TravelingNDN said:

Dan Hooks? Enough said. Some of these guys can win at any level given the talent

Exactly, you named one coach out of hundreds. There is always an exception to the rule. Another thing is, anyone can win with talent. We want someone who has the skills to be able to win even when you don't have the best talent. Let's face it, we have not always had the best talent, but when you have great technique and a good gameplan, then that is all that you need.

19cherokee90

modmouse78 said:
PNGfan said:
TravelingNDN said:

Exactly, you named one coach out of hundreds. There is always an exception to the rule. Another thing is, anyone can win with talent. We want someone who has the skills to be able to win even when you don't have the best talent. Let's face it, we have not always had the best talent, but when you have great technique and a good gameplan, then that is all that you need.

couldnt have said it better myself...we dont always have the best talent but usually have one or two exceptional kids...and a team full of kids that are very disciplined and veyr eager to win at all cost....we need a coach who doesnt have to have a team full of allstars to win....a coach who is smarter than the rest, who can motivate like no other and make these boys believe they can beat anyone ...anywhere!!! Im all for that coach getting hired.

C

coonass322

It should be posted this week...running through december....

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores