This team should be 4-1....

PNGROW4650YRDLN

100+ Posts
concernedfortx said:
png tribe said:
I know for a fact that Lunceford was upset that people were leaving. I thought everyone was leaving pretty early. If not for an errant snap, who know's what would have happened. I thought the crowd was pretty dead. I seen several time's where the cheerleader's were trying to get the crowd involved with no luck and she turned to the other cheerleader and said they suck. So PNGGROW isn't insinuating anything. Anyone can behind their team when everything is going good, it's when are going bad that our player's need the fan's most. Player's shouldn't have to beg for people to get up and cheer.

61ndn said:
I am glad to know that I wasn't blind. We sat high in Section D and the majority of folks in front of us were not into the game which is certainly their priviledge. But for the life of me, I just can't understand what it takes to get some people motivated. This was PN-G against Nederland, the Indians vs the Bulldogs, MCM, with all its hype. As a young lady sitting near me said "some people just like to talk the talk, others will walk the walk" and she was so right. Everyone can be the kind of fan they choose, as for me I am planning to keep on walking.

Do you really want to know how bad it was? The people behind me asked me to sit down because I was cheering our football team on and standing for Cherokee. When I looked around, you would have thought you were in church.

Yes, we are 1-4, but it is PN-G. You cheer. You stand for Cherokee. You stay until the very end. I grew up believing whether our PN-G team was 9-0 or 0-9, that 10th game was going to be packed from beginning to end. I'm not seeing this at all. Or is that just folklore?
THANK YOU ALSO !

NDNTime

1,000+ Posts
Can we stop beating a dead horse? This has been discussed over and over and over again in different threads.

concernedfortx

NDNTime said:
Can we stop beating a dead horse? This has been discussed over and over and over again in different threads.

Then let's fix it! The problem is there are people that want what PN-G is all about. Then there are those that say just let people watch how they want. Are you a PN-G fan or not? Like I said, is this all folklore? Did I miss something growing up?

1-4 or 4-1. Does it matter? Who are we? PN-G!

The last time we played Nederland there (2 years ago) some folks a couple of rows behind us were upset because we stood the entire game. A woman from their group went to a PN policeman and asked him to tell us to sit down. He told her she should be standing up too. He was laughing when he told my son about it then really laughed when my son told him what she looked like and that it was us she was talking about. I havn't sat down for a Nederland game (or any other for that matter) in many, many years and won't until these old legs just won't stand any more. I did tell the "ticket lady" I would be standing up so please give me MCM tickets as high as she could and she came through this year. At least there weren't many folks behind us and they didn't complain this year...but they didn't stand either though.

PNGROW4650YRDLN

100+ Posts
We have always had one of the toughest districts in the state. This team has been in every game. The four losses came with less than a minute on the clock. A few too many missed tackles, a few too many dropped passes, more than our fair share of bad calls from the refs. and too little time left on the clock to play catch up.

Report cards will be coming out soon. We don't usually have a big problem with that but hopefully none of our players are sidelined as a result of grades. Other schools aren't always so fortunate.

I think the coaches and players are giving 112 %. Four teams will be going to the playoffs. We just need a little luck to take us over this hump.

carzan

500+ Posts
I grew up believing whether our PN-G team was 9-0 or 0-9, that 10th game was going to be packed from beginning to end. I'm not seeing this at all. Or is that just folklore?

I grew up going to PNG football games. I really can't remember when I started going to the games. I was young. I don't think I had even started school when my parents began dragging me along. It became engrained in my soul that in the fall, on Friday nights you just go to see PNG. It doesnt matter where we are playing, you just go. You yell and scream and holler when something good happens or even when you just WANT something good to happen. No matter what does happen you ALWAYS stand and clap for Cherokee (unless you physically can't) and above all, WIN LOSE OR DRAW you STAY until the end! whether it is bitter or sweet you just stay!

That being said I can tell from first hand experience that even during the "glory" days not all PNG fans heeded these few simple rules. I can remember my parents being flat out pissed off when people would leave early because we were going to lose the game. So I know that has always happened. I can not remember any discussions about the crowd not being into it enough though. To try and address your post I quoted above, there are an aweful lot of us in the Indian Nation that will be there the last game of a really bad season, but there are those that arent as dedicated as those of us who truly do bleed purple. So I would say no it is not folklore. We have many more fans and much better fans than any program I know of in HS football, but we are not without some issues. Especially from some who may live here but haven't "drank the kool aid" so to speak.

I will say that this season has seemed a little strange to me in the stands. I would even say it started in San Antonio at the GP game. As fans I believe we have been flat. I just think there was SOOOO much excitement last year in so many games its almost like we are waiting for that same thing before everybody gets into it. Also last year as the season progressed we were one win better each week. that gave the fan base more confidence we would come out on top. This year I believe the confidence of many has been broken so they dont want to yell only to be let down.

I guess I would rather be let down after yelling than to let the kids down first by not yelling.

Sorry about the long confusing post. Its late and I am tired.

purplewarrior

Chief Touch The Clouds
All is not lost! What does it really mean Honor Pride And Tradition on our press box?It's more than standing for Cherokee or yelling defense. Yes these are signs of a fired up fan but to me seeing a young football player find those tools to overcome adversity and applying it to their life.This has to come from within IMHO.Being able to make adjusments on and off the field these are the lessons that they will carry with them forever.What if the press box read Winners never lose and losers never win?And when this Indian team wins next time I'll stand and cheer because we won and I will be cheering inside because they have won that battle against adversity. Who are we!

PNGROW4650YRDLN

100+ Posts
carzan said:
I grew up believing whether our PN-G team was 9-0 or 0-9, that 10th game was going to be packed from beginning to end. I'm not seeing this at all. Or is that just folklore?

I grew up going to PNG football games. I really can't remember when I started going to the games. I was young. I don't think I had even started school when my parents began dragging me along. It became engrained in my soul that in the fall, on Friday nights you just go to see PNG. It doesnt matter where we are playing, you just go. You yell and scream and holler when something good happens or even when you just WANT something good to happen. No matter what does happen you ALWAYS stand and clap for Cherokee (unless you physically can't) and above all, WIN LOSE OR DRAW you STAY until the end! whether it is bitter or sweet you just stay!

That being said I can tell from first hand experience that even during the "glory" days not all PNG fans heeded these few simple rules. I can remember my parents being flat out pissed off when people would leave early because we were going to lose the game. So I know that has always happened. I can not remember any discussions about the crowd not being into it enough though. To try and address your post I quoted above, there are an aweful lot of us in the Indian Nation that will be there the last game of a really bad season, but there are those that arent as dedicated as those of us who truly do bleed purple. So I would say no it is not folklore. We have many more fans and much better fans than any program I know of in HS football, but we are not without some issues. Especially from some who may live here but haven't "drank the kool aid" so to speak.

I will say that this season has seemed a little strange to me in the stands. I would even say it started in San Antonio at the GP game. As fans I believe we have been flat. I just think there was SOOOO much excitement last year in so many games its almost like we are waiting for that same thing before everybody gets into it. Also last year as the season progressed we were one win better each week. that gave the fan base more confidence we would come out on top. This year I believe the confidence of many has been broken so they dont want to yell only to be let down.

I guess I would rather be let down after yelling than to let the kids down first by not yelling.

Sorry about the long confusing post. Its late and I am tired.
Thank you also. Very well said. I think you may have hit the bulls eye. It wasn't whether you won or lost the game. It's more than wearing a purple shirt and showing up for the game. The fans of old would never leave early and would cheer until their voices were gone and then cheer some more. Standing for Cherokee was like standing for prayer in church. Maybe that is what I miss because I'm not seeing that now.

squaw

1,000+ Posts
GROW, I agree with both you and Concerned, but you have to be careful or they'll be accusing you of firing our coaches, etc. ::) I also have said that there is a change in the fans--maybe because a lot of these people are from somewhere else and don't understand that we stand for Cherokee, support our boys 100% and do not leave until the game is completely over and the boys go in. I said last year that a lot of band parents "bail out" after halftime and I thought I was gonna get death threats! ;D You are female; therefore to some you are "stupid". Oh, well, I am not replying to those who post personally offensive things to any other fan, including me. BTW, did anyone have trouble hearing the band?

Cheermom4

500+ Posts
I did not graduate from PNG and neither did my husband but he did go to several schools here and he had a brother who graduated and played for PNG and was a very good football player. I have just as much school spirit and pride as anyone else as far as I am concerned. My kids were babies and I mean that literally the first time they went to a PNG football game. They knew Cheerokee before they started school. They were made to stand for it every time no matter what. Heck in 1999 we didn't miss a game and ALL of our kids sat in the stands with us for hours before our games would start. I missed one game that year because I had surgery on my leg but I made sure my husband was there for me. I was in the hospital down the road from the dome cheering on those boys. The nurses loved it because I was hollaring and clapping. That is just me. I am OLD school like that. I grew up wishing I could go to school at PNG to have such wonderful school spirit.

One of those kids we dragged to all of those games is a Varsity Cheerleader and yes some of those girls and those boys on the field were disappointed with our fans non participation. Heck one of the cheerleaders would yell my name so that I could yell louder with them. You can think what you want but I talk to those kids all the time. I am not trying to tell anyone they need to stand for Cherokee or that they should yell and hollar just support those kids because that is what it is all about. We never leave early we learned that lesson a long time ago when we left early because the NDNS were losing and wanted to get the kids home and in bed. We kicked ourselves once we got in the car and turned on the radio and had to listen to the final play and the NDNS come back and score. So since then we have and will never leave any game early.

attakapandn

100+ Posts
i had no trouble hearing the band in the stands, since i sit next to the band! but did have trouble hearing the band on the field since they were facing the other way and the ppl around me was just talking , talking , talking!

TheBoysMom

We say by the band and heard them just fine during the game, but not so much at halftime. There was a house party going on on the street behind the visitors stands, and during PN-G's halftime performance all we could hear was them blaring "Who Let the Dogs Out" at top volume, over and over and over.
rolleyes.gif

attakapandn

100+ Posts
hahhaa i am starting to hate that song!! just like i hated another one bites the dust when TJ was on a run in the 80's!

Justafan

2,000+ Posts
squaw said:
GROW, I agree with both you and Concerned, but you have to be careful or they'll be accusing you of firing our coaches, etc. ::) I also have said that there is a change in the fans--maybe because a lot of these people are from somewhere else and don't understand that we stand for Cherokee, support our boys 100% and do not leave until the game is completely over and the boys go in. I said last year that a lot of band parents "bail out" after halftime and I thought I was gonna get death threats! ;D You are female; therefore to some you are "stupid". Oh, well, I am not replying to those who post personally offensive things to any other fan, including me. BTW, did anyone have trouble hearing the band?

Well Mrs. Squaw, I am not from PN. I always stand for Cherokee and I ALWAYS stay till the very end. I have been doing this for over 20 yrs and I don't have any kids in school anymore. But I do agree with you there is alot of band parents that do leave after halftime.

attakapandn

100+ Posts
Justafan i am with you on this , its always gets me upset when the parents of the band leave the game after halftime! How would they feel if we left the stands before halftime and come back at teh start of the 3rd qtr? i like you have no child football, band, indianettes etc but will support the kids, team, school, casue i enjoy the friday night experence! And now with the weather getting cooler it starting to fell like FOOTBALL time!

yankeedawg

500+ Posts
TheBoysMom said:
We say by the band and heard them just fine during the game, but not so much at halftime. There was a house party going on on the street behind the visitors stands, and during PN-G's halftime performance all we could hear was them blaring "Who Let the Dogs Out" at top volume, over and over and over.
rolleyes.gif

LOL

Isn't that a GREAT tune??

8.gif

shovelhead

100+ Posts
attakapandn said:
Justafan i am with you on this , its always gets me upset when the parents of the band leave the game after halftime! How would they feel if we left the stands before halftime and come back at teh start of the 3rd qtr? i like you have no child football, band, indianettes etc but will support the kids, team, school, casue i enjoy the friday night experence! And now with the weather getting cooler it starting to fell like FOOTBALL time!
Somebody does this. The concesion stand lines at halftime are full. This old band dad stays until the last note of Cherokee. Most band parents I know do the same. Then again, what difference does it make. They bought their ticket, they are free to do as they please. Who are we to judge. Enough on this and back to topic: We could very easily be 4-1. I will be happy to be 2-4 Friday night!

PNG NDN Fan

1,000+ Posts
Staff member
attakapandn said:

Happens all the time, there has always been number of fans that decide to go down to concession stands during halftime to get refreshments. They are more interested in football and not the band, but that is the way they choose to enjoy the experience and, as former band member, never faulted them for doing so. Honestly I never really noticed when I was on the field because my focus was on the performance for myself and my bandmates.

purplefan

I did not graduate from PNG but my wife did.We have had 3 children graduate from here and a 4th will this spring.All have been involved in sports,cheerleading or Indianettes.For 20 years I have told them how lucky they are to be involved with these programs and to appreciate them because there are few that compare in fan support or school pride.I hope when they are older they will look back and have great memories of their experiences.Some on this board have the attitude that the only true NDN fans are the ones who were born and graduated here.My wife and daughter tell me all the time that for a person who did not go to PNG you sure take all the traditions to heart.My response is that you appreciate it more when your school is closed or never had the traditions or pride of PNG. Maybe we should all appreciate what we have and not worry who or how many stand for Cherokee or leave before the clock runs out. I will continue to be there to watch the band march in,stand for Cherokee and watch the last seconds run off the clock, win or lose.Scalp'em.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores