Vidor Game LIVE UPDATES

akifan94

500+ Posts
CardiacKids 92 said:
pngbax20 said:
akifan94 said:
pngbax20 said:
Well I agree with you mom91,but one thing I've learned is even with change people are still going to complain.why??because that is human nature your not ever going to make everybody happy.PNG fans including me are a special breed.We make excuses for everything,from Dan Hooks paying off the refs,to we didn't lose the clock just ran out.We never can just say "you know what they were just flat out better and we lost to a great team."Not us its always somebody elses fault.So go ahead make change but It still doesn't change the fact that we might not have the talent everybody thinks we have.you can only work with what you got.Its time to stop with the excuses and just come to terms with that there are better teams out there.I will continue to support PNG because I know every year is different and that is enough motivation for the next team to do better then the year before.

Baxter, you are a former player. You explain this to me.

#2 QB in district
#2 and #3 RB in district
#1 and #2 WR in district
4 returners on OL

14 points a game the last two weeks.

The reason is turnovers. Numerous ones.

Talent is not the issue. Fumbles and not fielding punts falls back on coaching. Calling five yard outs to the long side of the field against very athletic corners who lead the district in INT's for pick sixes not once but twice in one half is coaching. Not talent. Letting a stadium distract your players is coaching.

Do you agree or not? I am just tired of the lame excuses. If we lose we lose, let's not point fingers at the fans and the stadium.
Turnovers are defintly the problem i agree 100%.So the area of concern for me watching is execution.Ok we have the #2,3 Rb in district but when they fumble the ball what can the coach do bench them till they learn to hold on to the ball.i would say yes,but how much crap would the coaches hear about why the #2,3 rb are riding the pine.The QB is ok,but he doesn't go thru his progression he looks at one target the whole time if the wr isnt open he doesn't check down.leading to him getting sacked,nobody can pass protect that long.so you going to bench him too because he doesn't pass the ball to someone else?At some point the players have to be responsible for their actions on the field.A coach can only do so much,its up to the players to get the job done.I can remember when i played if i screwed up it wasnt the coaches fault, it was mine and i had to be held accountable for it.now i would hear it from the coaches on film review but thats were you learn.If we fumbled in practice we ran extra.The area that needs to be addressed is the two way starters and the 11 new guys on defense.Somebody answer me this.How many district champonships and playoff wins does MB have???Nobody can tell me that man woke up morning and forgot how to coach or any of the other coaches for that matter.I remember practices too ,a coach can only go off what a players is doing in practice.How the kid runs the drills,if he remembers his assignment,and a little thing called hustle.With that said just because a kid hustles doesn't mean he has talent and should play.I think if we have the #2,3 rbs in district we only need a passing game to keep the defense honest and prevent them from loading the box.Those turnover prevent our defense from getting any rest when they come off the field and have to go right back out there usually with their backs against the endzone.i know in years past we were predictable but the difference now is execution.Execution is the difference between winning and losing.One thing that has stuck me as odd is PNG lack of a soccer style kicker.For the past couple of years PNG hasnt had a heavy footed kicker who could kick 40 or 50 yd field goals.

BTW there are drills and techniques that can be used to help out with the fumbling. So coaches do have some responsibility here, but so do the players...Guess that's why it's a TEAM effort. So why doesn't the quarterback go through his progressions? That is something that the coaches must teach, that is if they understand how to read the defensive schemes. Seems like Dustin Long used to go through his progressions, of course that was with another offensive coordinator. I wonder if they are teaching the QB's to read coverages and work through their progressions? I agree on the kicker thing, you can't tell me that there isn't a soccer player at PNG who could kick the hell out of the ball. Has someone alienated the soccer program so much so they won't play football? Anyway I will be supporting the Indians through thick and thin. My senior year we had some adversity in dealing with a new coach and not REALLY knowing why the previos coach left. Lot's of things changed and we had to adjust. At the end of the season we ended up in a three way tie for second place (and didn't make the playoffs) at 6-4 and 5-2 in district and we won three games in the final minutes of the game. They didn't call us Cardiac Kids for nothing. Guess what I'm trying to say is that we didn't give up and I hope this year's team doesn't either. God Bless the PNG Indians.

This is what I was getting at.

tribesman

100+ Posts
Alright. I am going to make SOME observations and state SOME facts.

1) Lay off of the appearance of the coaches. Last time that I checked Coaches Arnaud, Smith, Brevell, etc. were far from FAT SLOBS. Squaw needs to take a closer look. That's ridiculous.

2) The offensive personnel were told that we would throw "around thirty times" against Vidor and most of the week was spent preparing for that. So how in the hel* do we end up throwing 7 or 8 times ? Are the kids going to be confused ? Absolutely.

3) We have been FLATTER THAN A PANCAKE since Nederland. Watch pregame warmups. I haven't seen an Indian team this flat in years.

4) Do we have district championship talent ? I don't feel like we do. Do we have the talent to finish in the top four ? I think we absolutely do.

5) We will not win games turning the ball over four or five times. PERIOD.

6) We have coaches afraid to do their jobs and make certain calls because if they fail, SOMEONE might rant and rave along the sidelines for twenty minutes about the call.

7) Last but not least, the ATTENDANCE AT THE VIDOR GAME WAS PATHETIC. We expect the coaches and kids to do their part, and then we make a showing like that ! That was embarrasing. I would be willing to bet that some of the local people throwing daggers on this board were not in Vidor on Friday night.

There may be some disagreement in the coaching ranks. Just an observation... ;) There is entirely too much mass confusion on the sidelines. This one has to go on the coaching staff.

We have numerous problems right now, but it's not out of the question to win out and get in the playoffs. Let's hope we can turn it around.

squaw

1,000+ Posts
[quote
Thank you... :) I saw y'all yesterday, in fact I was behind you on Block - I didn't want honk because I was afraid I would give your hubby another heart attack - he seems to be doing good - tooling around town and all...
[/quote]
Sorry--didn't see you. Hubby doing great--compared to last week. He'd be doing even better if we had won Friday night! ;D Maybe we'll kick some a__ in our new stadium this week. :helmet: We sit row 5 between 25-30. If you see us, come and take time to visit.

MightyNDNS

100+ Posts
squaw said:
[quote
Thank you... :) I saw y'all yesterday, in fact I was behind you on Block - I didn't want honk because I was afraid I would give your hubby another heart attack - he seems to be doing good - tooling around town and all...
Sorry--didn't see you. Hubby doing great--compared to last week. He'd be doing even better if we had won Friday night! ;D Maybe we'll kick some a__ in our new stadium this week. :helmet: We sit row 5 between 25-30. If you see us, come and take time to visit.
[/quote]

I will...

pncoach

MightyNDNS said:
MightyNDNS said:
Whomever keeps smiting me, stop it!!!! ;D I like to stay in the possitve numbers... :guns: :)

IndianFan - put me back to 8 on my Karma, please - I know you did that..... ;D

Hey Mighty....I had not noticed the "Karma" until you mentioned it, I'll trade you I'm at -3. I guess I did something that "Jim Jones" liked, yesterday I was at -4 :party:. Got to go, it's time to drink the Kool Aid.

Not running for any office, but I do approve this message.

pngbax20

100+ Posts
i think in this "PC" world we live in now is the main problem.We've gotten into this lets not keep score and everybody gets a trophy and everybody plays.Lets go back to the days of old and put that lifestyle back to use.I was talking to a soccer mom the other day and i asked her why her son wasn't kicking for the football team.She told me the soccer coach was against his players from playing football,they could play on traveling soccer team all year long but was against them kicking for the football team.She said he has told the team not to go out for football.What hell is wrong with kicking for the football team last time i checked a kid had a better shot of getting noticed kicking 40 or 50 yd field goals then playing to 0-0 tie in soccer.Seems like there are no more multisport athlete's.Well im sorry this is Texas and last time i checked we played football.Never seemed to be a problem with the other soccer coachs in the past. :flaming: :shout:

pncoach

pngbax20 said:
i think in this "PC" world we live in now is the main problem.We've gotten into this lets not keep score and everybody gets a trophy and everybody plays.Lets go back to the days of old and put that lifestyle back to use.I was talking to a soccer mom the other day and i asked her why her son wasn't kicking for the football team.She told me the soccer coach was against his players from playing football,they could play on traveling soccer team all year long but was against them kicking for the football team.She said he has told the team not to go out for football.What hell is wrong with kicking for the football team last time i checked a kid had a better shot of getting noticed kicking 40 or 50 yd field goals then playing to 0-0 tie in soccer.Seems like there are no more multisport athlete's.Well im sorry this is Texas and last time i checked we played football.Never seemed to be a problem with the other soccer coachs in the past. :flaming: :shout:

Bax, I just don't understand this, when I was in HS, which was 10-12 grades, I earned 10 Varsity Letters. We were encouraged to go out for as many sports as our time and grades could handle. Now, coaches want their kids to "specialize" I guess for a lack of better terminology in only one sport. Back to the soccer mom, a few years ago when I had a son on the team and kickers came out from the soccer team, I had heard that MB told them football or soccer, that was when Spike was the coach. Well, then during that year, we had two kickers go down with injuries early in the year and MB went to the soccer team and begged for a kid to come and play, that is how RJM started kicking for the football team.

pngbax20

100+ Posts
I know when I played I also played basketball,then from basketball ran track while still working out in the offseason.I still don't remember ever hearing mb say to simpson,mattingly,price,mccurley,and any of the other great soccer kicker that kicked for PNG.if I forgot anybody sry.I don't see where the 2 sports collide with each other they're not even played in the same season. I think were MB had a issue with the traveling soccer team that I think he would have a problem with.

NDNTime

1,000+ Posts
pncoach said:
pngbax20 said:

Bax, I just don't understand this, when I was in HS, which was 10-12 grades, I earned 10 Varsity Letters. We were encouraged to go out for as many sports as our time and grades could handle. Now, coaches want their kids to "specialize" I guess for a lack of better terminology in only one sport. Back to the soccer mom, a few years ago when I had a son on the team and kickers came out from the soccer team, I had heard that MB told them football or soccer, that was when Spike was the coach. Well, then during that year, we had two kickers go down with injuries early in the year and MB went to the soccer team and begged for a kid to come and play, that is how RJM started kicking for the football team.

I'm with both of you guys. There is no reason why we should be going for 4th and long on the 20!!! Lets get a kicker from the soccer team that can really boot the ball. A 37-yard field goal should be routine for a soccer player. Those 3 points could turn out to be golden in a close game.

Of course, what I addressed is just a small issue. The true issue is discouraging our kids from playing multiple sports. I understand if coaches don't want their players playing both soccer and basketball because those seasons really overlap each other. But the fact that the soccer coach doesn't want athletes that play soccer to play football as well is rediculous. Anytime we can keep a kid off the street and involved in school, we all win. We should encourage our kids to play as many sports as they want as long as they can handle it and school.

pngbax20

100+ Posts
I don't think we have the problem with having to worry about kids and life on the "streets",or at least I would hope we don't have those problems at PNG.But its a real shame if anybody is making the kids only pick one sport.

Penny

The "Tiger Woods Syndrome" is ruining high schools like Nederland and PNG. And it's more parents than it is coaches. Parents pushing their kids to specialize, they've bought a bill of goods about how little Johnny's gonna get a scholarship if they focus on sport x,y,z... it's BS. It's a function of our society, speaks a lot to who and what we value... it ain't Team. I'm not commenting on PNG really, this is as much a problem in Nederland as it is here. Kids don't buy in to "contributing" to the team as much these days.

pngfan93

1,000+ Posts
I'll tell you this much - West Brook has two kids from the soccer team on varsity, and I witnessed them both kick 62 yard field goals in practice under the direction of their varsity soccer coach (whom I know). One of those, we speculate, would have been good from 72.

Now, the coach is the first to tell you that these players wouldn't be good from the opposite 48 yard line with the other team rushing them. However, get them to the near 45 yard line and he guarantees they'll be good. The only problem (for them) is that West Brook hasn't needed them yet.

pngbax20

100+ Posts
Well point are points and if we had a kicker that could get them point from 40,45 yds away,that makes a big difference.

NDN X

100+ Posts
just out of curiosity.....who is PNG's soccer coach? I think someone said earlier that the soccer player may get more notice by being a football kicker also. It seems like this could be a positive thing for the player since anyone scouting soccer players would get a better look at them during football season simply because the they are not having to look at so many players at that time. (?)

PNGfan

100+ Posts
The soccer coach is Don Sandell and he came over from Central. He's a very nice guy and quiet. I don't think he would tell kids not to play football, but that's my opinion.

prepballfan

There's No Place Like The Reservation Friday Night
Staff member
pngbax20 said:
That's what the scout team practices are for ... for the QB to learn what defenses the next week opponent is going to be in. The Offensive Coordinator and QB coach should be showing him where to throw the ball during this drill, or what he should see during game time. Now whether the player chooses to follow this or not during the game, is up to the player. This is where they learn their progression. Not every QB is as gifted as Dustin Long. Things you can't teach a QB are instinct and pocket presence. That's what makes QBs like Dustin so unique. It still boils down to how the players perform during the game.

You are right on this one. We may never have another QB like D-Long. I hope we do but he was exceptionaly gifted. Now that said would you agree that a QB coach with QB experience would help a good talent like TATUM or a good OC like Long was who understands the dynamics of the passing game would also help our present QB some one who could utilize his talents. I think we can move on to great things with coach Burnett but I beleive a new OC and QB coach would help a bunch.

pngbax20

100+ Posts
prepballfan said:
pngbax20 said:
That's what the scout team practices are for ... for the QB to learn what defenses the next week opponent is going to be in. the Offensive Coordinator and QB coach should be showing him where to throw the ball during this drill, or what he should see during game time. NOW whether the player chooses to follow this or not during the game, is up to the player. this is where they learn their progression. not every QB is as gifted as Dustin Long. things you can't teach a QB are instinct and pocket presence. that's what makes BS like Dustin so unique. IT still boils down to how the players perform during the game.

You are right on this one. We may never have another QB like D-Long. I hope we do but he was exceptionally gifted. Now that said would you agree that a QB coach with QB experience would help a good talent like TATUM or a good OC like Long was who understands the dynamics of the passing game would also help our present QB some one who could utilize his talents. I think we can move on to great things with coach Burnett but I believe a new OC and QB coach would help a bunch.
it wouldn't hurt to have someone with that kind of experience,and knowledge of defensive packages.But it still boils down to execution and if the player does what he is taught.i haven't been to any practices and i dont know what they are showing them when the run against the scout team.But its hard to do anything when you turn the ball over so much.

allstarmom

100+ Posts
I don't think we have the problem with having to worry about kids and life on the "streets",or at least I would hope we don't have those problems at PNG.

:huh:

allstarmom

100+ Posts
pngbax20 said:
I don't think we have the problem with having to worry about kids and life on the "streets",or at least I would hope we don't have those problems at PNG.But its a real shame if anybody is making the kids only pick one sport.

:huh: Are you kidding??? You can't honestly believe that we don't have the same problems that every other town in America has!?!

pngbax20

100+ Posts
allstarmom said:
pngbax20 said:

:huh: Are you kidding??? You can't honestly believe that we don't have the same problems that every other town in America has!?!

Oh i forgot that the gangs run the school now and we have sooo much violence dealing with drugs and other problems large cities deal with. :sorry: i guess i overlooked that when i went there.give me a break we dont have that much to worry about in this small town. i was talking about what large cities face when their kids dont have something else to turn to.Last time i checked we didnt have drivebys or anything like that.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores