Vidor Game LIVE UPDATES

squaw

1,000+ Posts
MightyNDNS said:
IndianFan said:
Squaw and pncoach, would either of you win a sideline beauty contest? ;)

I can understand the concern with the program but some of you are going over the edge.

While I understand that we owe a lot of credit to you for being able to comment on this board - You do not live here anymore and do not realize what is going on with this ENTIRE CITY - It is not the Port Neches/Groves of old. pncoach is right about one thing - it starts at the top and trickles down. The end result is SEVERAL unhappy parents/citizens for many different reasons. You are probably going to ask "why don't I move" I guess I am hoping it will get better eventually.......We had a glimpse of the old days this weekend with the Fall Festival it was a nice community get together - I enjoyed it.

By the way - squaw is retired and no longer has to "dress for success" but she always looks nice when I see her. Don't know who pncoach is....
Thanks--I think you're cute, too! lol

NDNmom91

500+ Posts
VegasNDN said:
I have not posted in quite some time. But this feels exactly how we were feeling my Junior year, which was Troy's last year. We had a TON of talent, which shined through the following year with the Great Malone, but we could do nothing right. We HATED getting our butts handed to us but you could also sense that part of the coaching staff were just going through the motions. These young men should take it upon themselves and send a message to the rest of the district that they will not be a stepping stone to the playoffs for some teams. They should not only play the spoiler, but they should play for pride.

At the end of the day, it's all about honor, pride and tradition. That's really all that matters!

Yes, you are right Vegas. I was in high school then, and I remember how down EVERYONE was about what was going on with the team and coaches. Then, here comes Danny Malone and changes everything, for the better I might add, but what happened?? He left!! It's like de ja vu really because everyone wanted Troy gone back then, they wanted "change", and that is what they got, and then the parents of the players and others were not happy with Malone's "coaching style" and mysteriously he was gone. I know, the word was he left on his own accord, but I just don't buy that. He did ALOT for the team and the community. The players were on fire, the students were pumped, the band and I-ettes were kicking a** and taking names at contest, it was GREAT, then it was gone.

Now, we are in the same position again...wanting, asking, and begging for change...but are we all willing to accept it? I have been reading everyone's posts for sometime now and I feel that there is not just one reason why the team is in a slump...it's a combination of all the things everyone is saying on here....the coaching, good players not being utilized, player errors, lack of enthusiasim, fans not standing for cherokee and leaving when we are losing, and the stadium being alot of the focus instead of the team. I really hope another Danny Malone comes along to shake things up and bring back the Indian Pride and Spirit that we are known around the state for! I just hope when that person comes, that everyone will sit back and let him do his job. Until then, we all need to put on our purple and white, and cheer this team on win or lose, and show these kids that we are behind them no matter what!

Tomahawk Chop

squaw said:
IndianFan said:

I can understand the concern with the program but some of you are going over the edge.
Oh, heck no I would NOT win a beauty contest but that's not what this post was about. These coaches, with the exception of Coach Burnett and Coach Nobles, are all out of shape, shuffle around, shirts not tucked in and, basically, look sloppy. Sloppy is as sloppy does! They ARE supposed to be role models for their students. This was discussed by many people our age who were in the stands and have been for 50 years. I agree that we were spoiled--coaches used to all wear matching golf type shirts and hats and appeared professional and in shape themselves. Am I not understanding this right or are our coaches supposed to be a positive influence on these boys?

Criticizing another person's physical appearance? What "adult" does that? That is uttlerly ridiculous.

pngbax20

100+ Posts
Well I agree with you mom91,but one thing I've learned is even with change people are still going to complain.why??because that is human nature your not ever going to make everybody happy.PNG fans including me are a special breed.We make excuses for everything,from Dan Hooks paying off the refs,to we didn't lose the clock just ran out.We never can just say "you know what they were just flat out better and we lost to a great team."Not us its always somebody elses fault.So go ahead make change but It still doesn't change the fact that we might not have the talent everybody thinks we have.you can only work with what you got.Its time to stop with the excuses and just come to terms with that there are better teams out there.I will continue to support PNG because I know every year is different and that is enough motivation for the next team to do better then the year before.

akifan94

500+ Posts
pngbax20 said:
Well I agree with you mom91,but one thing I've learned is even with change people are still going to complain.why??because that is human nature your not ever going to make everybody happy.PNG fans including me are a special breed.We make excuses for everything,from Dan Hooks paying off the refs,to we didn't lose the clock just ran out.We never can just say "you know what they were just flat out better and we lost to a great team."Not us its always somebody elses fault.So go ahead make change but It still doesn't change the fact that we might not have the talent everybody thinks we have.you can only work with what you got.Its time to stop with the excuses and just come to terms with that there are better teams out there.I will continue to support PNG because I know every year is different and that is enough motivation for the next team to do better then the year before.

Baxter, you are a former player. You explain this to me.

#2 QB in district
#2 and #3 RB in district
#1 and #2 WR in district
4 returners on OL

14 points a game the last two weeks.

The reason is turnovers. Numerous ones.

Talent is not the issue. Fumbles and not fielding punts falls back on coaching. Calling five yard outs to the long side of the field against very athletic corners who lead the district in INT's for pick sixes not once but twice in one half is coaching. Not talent. Letting a stadium distract your players is coaching.

Do you agree or not? I am just tired of the lame excuses. If we lose we lose, let's not point fingers at the fans and the stadium.

Tenacious K

I used to have an account on these boards, but it was probably back in 2004 when I made my last post.
I had last Friday off, and managed to attend the game between Vidor and PN-G.
Don't be down Indians, The district is crazy this year.
One thing I admire about you guys, is you always rally around the team when they're down.
In Vidor, I haven't been much of a high school football nut as I was in recent years, mainly cause I hate setting myself up for disappointment.
Some of you may remember me as the guy who assisted John at VidorPirates.com with articles and photos, and I know I've made some friends here on these boards long ago, so if you remember me, hello again.

Anyway, the long and the short of it is, Your team is pretty stellar. A few fundamentals need to be worked on, and that's about the only thing that can be said. You have the talent, aggression, and definitly fan support.
Things will work out for you guys..if not this year, then next, or the next. You guys always have the talent, and I played under some of your coaching staff when they were at Vidor..they do good things with the kids, and can teach them a lot about football and life.

Keep your heads up, and keep punching.

TK

squaw

1,000+ Posts
Tenacious K said:
I used to have an account on these boards, but it was probably back in 2004 when I made my last post.
I had last Friday off, and managed to attend the game between Vidor and PN-G.
Don't be down Indians, The district is crazy this year.
One thing I admire about you guys, is you always rally around the team when they're down.
In Vidor, I haven't been much of a high school football nut as I was in recent years, mainly cause I hate setting myself up for disappointment.
Some of you may remember me as the guy who assisted John at VidorPirates.com with articles and photos, and I know I've made some friends here on these boards long ago, so if you remember me, hello again.

Anyway, the long and the short of it is, Your team is pretty stellar. A few fundamentals need to be worked on, and that's about the only thing that can be said. You have the talent, aggression, and definitly fan support.
Things will work out for you guys..if not this year, then next, or the next. You guys always have the talent, and I played under some of your coaching staff when they were at Vidor..they do good things with the kids, and can teach them a lot about football and life.

Keep your heads up, and keep punching.

TK
Welcome. I think most of us are just rightfully disappointed. We ALL support our Indians regardless.

EX79NDN

100+ Posts
Man, I can not believe it....I have been reading all these excuses for this years Varsity team short coming/down falls. Their winless streak has been blamed on everything from the new stadium, poor choice of stadium music, coaching, players and various other things. :crazy: About the only excuse that has not been used is food served during the school days in the cafeteria.... :thud: Yes, that is what it is, they do not serve the same old good food like they use to when we all were in school. All of those health nuts took away all the good food and made them put in healthy food that no kid wants to eat.<yuck> Remember how everybody use to like to eat in the cafeteria? Ever take a look at the cafeteria menu for the week now days. Man, there is no way I would eat that junk!!! :thumbsdown: I would go the rest of the day starving like most of the kids do till I got home and could eat some real food. :popcorn: Man, if the concession stand was forced by the government to start serving the same kind of food in the concession stand that they (the cafeteria) have to serve to our kids, the concession stand would go broke. I can see it now---yes, I would like a box of celery and carrots and give me a low fat or skim milk to drink with that!!! ??? Instead of a barbque sandwich, a box of popcorn and a coke. 8)

Let's all face it. Some years we have it together and some years we do not. I will always support my alumni whether they have it together or whether they do not.. :woot: I just like the years they have it together better than the years they do not!!! ;)

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
In the past week I've been 'given credit' for deleting a post by 'pncoach'. And now this. Neither is true.

The karma feature is what it is. If it's going negative then some people don't agree with your opinions.

But this message board is supposed to be fun and enjoyable. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

MightyNDNS

100+ Posts
pncoach said:
Mighty...I am a young retiree and although my player has been out of that hell hole with MB for 3-4 years now I guess. I am in touch with Dads whom still have players on the current team and coming up. You are lucky to have girls, although my Indianette has been gone from there about 15 years now, it is more expensive to have a girl participate in activities then a boy at PNG. It cost, back then, about 2 grand a year for her to be an Indianette, but it ony cost 10 bucks to be a football player. How's that for gender fairness and equality. Last week I made a post to throw to the tight end, while sitting in the stands I always listen to my radio. Well that is what the announcers were calling for, throw to the tight end they would say. It was evident that the coaches must have heard them, since they didn't throw to the TE. So I think you are right, they read these post and do the opposite. This week, play ground control, run the ball, which tires the O line greatly, get a 7 point lead and sit on it. Since Lumberton don't score many points and has no air attack and when they do score they chew up a lot of the clock. There's my nickels worth of the game plan.
Folks like Vidor Coach Matthew's stated, "everybody knows we run the ball", except MB!!

I don't know what to say, pncoach. In fact, I think it has all been said right down to the cafeteria food, but I know one thing for sure. We love our Indians no matter what. I hope they can pull it together for the rest of the season. If not, then I don't know what will happen. I am not sure that our board or administration has the guts to fire MB. They sure don't have the guts to answer any questions about anything else going on it the district.

MightyNDNS

100+ Posts
IndianFan said:
In the past week I've been 'given credit' for deleting a post by 'pncoach'. And now this. Neither is true.

The karma feature is what it is. If it's going negative then some people don't agree with your opinions.

But this message board is supposed to be fun and enjoyable. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Oh, I thought you did it as a joke - maybe someone else did it as a joke or maybe you are right - they just don't agree with me...Oh, well ce la vie...

MightyNDNS

100+ Posts
squaw said:
MightyNDNS said:
IndianFan said:

While I understand that we owe a lot of credit to you for being able to comment on this board - You do not live here anymore and do not realize what is going on with this ENTIRE CITY - It is not the Port Neches/Groves of old. pncoach is right about one thing - it starts at the top and trickles down. The end result is SEVERAL unhappy parents/citizens for many different reasons. You are probably going to ask "why don't I move" I guess I am hoping it will get better eventually.......We had a glimpse of the old days this weekend with the Fall Festival it was a nice community get together - I enjoyed it.

By the way - squaw is retired and no longer has to "dress for success" but she always looks nice when I see her. Don't know who pncoach is....
Thanks--I think you're cute, too! lol

Thank you... :) I saw y'all yesterday, in fact I was behind you on Block - I didn't want honk because I was afraid I would give your hubby another heart attack - he seems to be doing good - tooling around town and all...

indian20106

pretty sure the talent is their. theirs nothin wrong with us being the last team that runs the plays we run. but by and by their will be nothing left at all. were findingthat out now,

pngbax20

100+ Posts
akifan94 said:
pngbax20 said:

#2 QB in district
#2 and #3 RB in district
#1 and #2 WR in district
4 returners on OL

Talent is not the issue. Fumbles and not fielding punts falls back on coaching. Calling five yard outs to the long side of the field against very athletic corners who lead the district in INT's for pick sixes not once but twice in one half is coaching. Not talent. Letting a stadium distract your players is coaching.

Do you agree or not? I am just tired of the lame excuses. If we lose we lose, let's not point fingers at the fans and the stadium.
Turnovers are defintly the problem i agree 100%.So the area of concern for me watching is execution.Ok we have the #2,3 Rb in district but when they fumble the ball what can the coach do bench them till they learn to hold on to the ball.i would say yes,but how much crap would the coaches hear about why the #2,3 rb are riding the pine.The QB is ok,but he doesnt go thru his progression he looks at one target the whole time if the wr isnt open he doesnt check down.leading to him getting sacked,nobody can pass protect that long.so you going to bench him too because he doesnt pass the ball to someone else?At some point the players have to be responsible for their actions on the field.A coach can only do so much,its up to the players to get the job done.I can remember when i played if i screwed up it wasnt the coaches fault, it was mine and i had to be held accountable for it.now i would hear it from the coaches on film review but thats were you learn.If we fumbled in practice we ran extra.The area that needs to be addressed is the two way starters and the 11 new guys on defense.Somebody answer me this.How many district champonships and playoff wins does MB have???Nobody can tell me that man woke up morning and forgot how to coach or any of the other coaches for that matter.I remember practices too ,a coach can only go off what a players is doing in practice.How the kid runs the drills,if he remembers his assignment,and a little thing called hustle.With that said just because a kid hustles doesnt mean he has talent and should play.I think if we have the #2,3 rbs in district we only need a passing game to keep the defense honest and prevent them from loading the box.Those turnover prevent our defense from getting any rest when they come off the field and have to go right back out there usually with their backs against the endzone.i know in years past we were predictable but the difference now is execution.Execution is the difference between winning and losing.One thing that has stuck me as odd is PNG lack of a soccer style kicker.For the past couple of years PNG hasnt had a heavy footed kicker who could kick 40 or 50 yd field goals.

CardiacKids 92

100+ Posts
pngbax20 said:
akifan94 said:
pngbax20 said:

#2 QB in district
#2 and #3 RB in district
#1 and #2 WR in district
4 returners on OL

Turnovers are defintly the problem i agree 100%.So the area of concern for me watching is execution.Ok we have the #2,3 Rb in district but when they fumble the ball what can the coach do bench them till they learn to hold on to the ball.i would say yes,but how much crap would the coaches hear about why the #2,3 rb are riding the pine.The QB is ok,but he doesn't go thru his progression he looks at one target the whole time if the wr isnt open he doesn't check down.leading to him getting sacked,nobody can pass protect that long.so you going to bench him too because he doesn't pass the ball to someone else?At some point the players have to be responsible for their actions on the field.A coach can only do so much,its up to the players to get the job done.I can remember when i played if i screwed up it wasnt the coaches fault, it was mine and i had to be held accountable for it.now i would hear it from the coaches on film review but thats were you learn.If we fumbled in practice we ran extra.The area that needs to be addressed is the two way starters and the 11 new guys on defense.Somebody answer me this.How many district champonships and playoff wins does MB have???Nobody can tell me that man woke up morning and forgot how to coach or any of the other coaches for that matter.I remember practices too ,a coach can only go off what a players is doing in practice.How the kid runs the drills,if he remembers his assignment,and a little thing called hustle.With that said just because a kid hustles doesn't mean he has talent and should play.I think if we have the #2,3 rbs in district we only need a passing game to keep the defense honest and prevent them from loading the box.Those turnover prevent our defense from getting any rest when they come off the field and have to go right back out there usually with their backs against the endzone.i know in years past we were predictable but the difference now is execution.Execution is the difference between winning and losing.One thing that has stuck me as odd is PNG lack of a soccer style kicker.For the past couple of years PNG hasnt had a heavy footed kicker who could kick 40 or 50 yd field goals.

BTW there are drills and techniques that can be used to help out with the fumbling. So coaches do have some responsibility here, but so do the players...Guess that's why it's a TEAM effort. So why doesn't the quarterback go through his progressions? That is something that the coaches must teach, that is if they understand how to read the defensive schemes. Seems like Dustin Long used to go through his progressions, of course that was with another offensive coordinator. I wonder if they are teaching the QB's to read coverages and work through their progressions? I agree on the kicker thing, you can't tell me that there isn't a soccer player at PNG who could kick the hell out of the ball. Has someone alienated the soccer program so much so they won't play football? Anyway I will be supporting the Indians through thick and thin. My senior year we had some adversity in dealing with a new coach and not REALLY knowing why the previos coach left. Lot's of things changed and we had to adjust. At the end of the season we ended up in a three way tie for second place (and didn't make the playoffs) at 6-4 and 5-2 in district and we won three games in the final minutes of the game. They didn't call us Cardiac Kids for nothing. Guess what I'm trying to say is that we didn't give up and I hope this year's team doesn't either. God Bless the PNG Indians.

pncoach

Coach,Seasons Years W L T Pct. District Championships State Championships

Matt Burnett, 1994-** 14 92 59* 0 0.609 5
Doug Ethridge, 1973-1983 11 89 37 2 0.703 4 1
Gene McCollum, 1946-1954 9 69 27 3 0.712 5 1
Ken Watson, 1965-1972 8 59 19 3 0.747 1
I.B. Griffith, 1930-1935 6 37 16 5 0.681 2
Claude Stone, 1938-1941 4 27 7 4 0.763 2
Lewis Ford, 1955-1957 3 26 7 0 0.788 1 1
Wilford Moore, 1958-1962 5 24 24 2 0.500 1
Danny Malone, 1989-1990 2 19 6 0 0.760
Tim Owen, 1991-1993 3 17 13 1 0.565 1
Bum Phillips, 1963-1964 2 12 6 2 0.650
Butch Troy, 1984-1988 5 11 35 3 0.255
Nick Frankovic, 1943-1945 3 9 16 1 0.365
Johnny Wright, 1942 1 7 2 0 0.778
R.D. Hitt, 1937 1 6 3 0 0.667
"Red" Garner, 1925-1928 4 5 16 5 0.288
Fred Walker, 1936 1 4 4 1 0.500
Chester N. Jarrell, 1929 1 4 5 1 0.450
513 307 33 0.625 22 3
* includes 1 game forfeit
** through 11/24/2007

pngbax20

100+ Posts
That's what the scout team practices are for ... for the QB to learn what defenses the next week opponent is going to be in. The Offensive Coordinator and QB coach should be showing him where to throw the ball during this drill, or what he should see during game time. Now whether the player chooses to follow this or not during the game, is up to the player. This is where they learn their progression. Not every QB is as gifted as Dustin Long. Things you can't teach a QB are instinct and pocket presence. That's what makes QBs like Dustin so unique. It still boils down to how the players perform during the game.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
pncoach said:
Coach,Seasons Years W L T Pct. District Championships State Championships

Matt Burnett, 1994-** 14 92 59* 0 0.609 5
Doug Ethridge, 1973-1983 11 89 37 2 0.703 4 1
Gene McCollum, 1946-1954 9 69 27 3 0.712 5 1
Ken Watson, 1965-1972 8 59 19 3 0.747 1
I.B. Griffith, 1930-1935 6 37 16 5 0.681 2
Claude Stone, 1938-1941 4 27 7 4 0.763 2
Lewis Ford, 1955-1957 3 26 7 0 0.788 1 1
Wilford Moore, 1958-1962 5 24 24 2 0.500 1
Danny Malone, 1989-1990 2 19 6 0 0.760
Tim Owen, 1991-1993 3 17 13 1 0.565 1
Bum Phillips, 1963-1964 2 12 6 2 0.650
Butch Troy, 1984-1988 5 11 35 3 0.255
Nick Frankovic, 1943-1945 3 9 16 1 0.365
Johnny Wright, 1942 1 7 2 0 0.778
R.D. Hitt, 1937 1 6 3 0 0.667
"Red" Garner, 1925-1928 4 5 16 5 0.288
Fred Walker, 1936 1 4 4 1 0.500
Chester N. Jarrell, 1929 1 4 5 1 0.450
513 307 33 0.625 22 3
* includes 1 game forfeit
** through 11/24/2007

Source: http://pngindians.com/coaches.html

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores