2013??

IBLEEDPURPLE

1,000+ Posts
87NDN said:
Has anyone considered that the talent pool was a little shallow this season ?Are you really going to blame the coach for everything ? When we went 10-0 we had a D1 QB .

So… going forward, we should only expect to have winning seasons when we are peppered with D-1 talent? ???
Interesting..... I thought that was the purpose of getting a qualified coach, you know, to groom the kids and develop the program back to the glory days.

I don't think anyone is placing the blame solely on Faircloth, but on the other hand.... we won ONE district game this year. It's not like we had a mediocre season with 5-5 or 4-6. Our opponents scored an average of 36.5 points on us per game. I think some responsibility falls on the coaches that are coaching the team. I'm all about recognizing "down years" but come on.... a two win season? We haven’t had a season like that since 1994.

bilman10

i agree with you 100% .I just come there from a different direction I feel the players share in this season.The coaches can't play the game.I am not trying to start a war i just don't think we should be jumping ship on Faircloth.Every team highschool ,college,or pro in every sport has bad seasons.when you put a string of them together then you look for the blam and make changes,not after one

badndn

500+ Posts
Maybe Coach just hasn't spoken with his outgoing Seniors yet because they are not in offseason program. I'd meet my underclassmen first also to give them direction early, then the kids that won't be working out later.

On To 2013!
What Junior starters are back?
Which Junior contributors will step up?
What Soph starters are back?
Which Soph contributors will step up?
Fill in the blanks with newbies from this Soph and Freshman classes which are both peppered with athletes, maybe not the big athletes we see at some of the other larger 4A's, but kids with talent, football savvy and a strong work ethic. Also these kids fit the mold of what Coach wants to do with his offense. Still not sure about defense yet. I suspect we see some drastic changes on that side of the ball. BF aint stupid folks. He is fully aware that the D has regressed, but he also recognizes that the Offense put them in a lot of bad positions this year.

bandkid

Staff member
Word came my way today that Coach Faircloth has already talked with several kids on the Freshman Purple team about going directly to varsity next season.

IBLEEDPURPLE

1,000+ Posts
87NDN said:
i agree with you 100% .I just come there from a different direction I feel the players share in this season.The coaches can't play the game.I am not trying to start a war i just don't think we should be jumping ship on Faircloth.Every team highschool ,college,or pro in every sport has bad seasons.when you put a string of them together then you look for the blam and make changes,not after one

I agree with you 87NDN. The kids should have some responsibility in this as well. I just think that defensively, PN-G was nowhere ready this year. It's great to score big points, but we need a defense that can hold opponents and not allow them to score at will.

I am certainly willing to buckle down and see what the next few years will be like under Faircloth. This man seems to have a great grasp on the game and has inspired many of the players beyond the reach of football. I just hope that he will recognize that perhaps there are some coaching positions within his staff that will need to be looked closely for next year and years to come should we all be planning deep playoff runs and returning to the top of the district in 20-4A.

badndn

500+ Posts
Yes it is great to score big points, but this year we saw what happens when a fast paced offense sputters and turns the ball over way too often! A decent defense turns south. The 2011 defense ranked second behind Nederland in ppg. Yes above Vidor (go back and check). Why? The difference was the offense scored a lot held on to the ball and forced teams out of their gameplan or what they did best to keep up. The 2012 offensive woes had a lot to do with the 2012 defensive woes.
A better offense in 2013 inherently will lead to improvements on defense. Not saying the defense doesn't need to improve, just that from one season to the next the biggest change was the offense!

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
To me, the biggest question that needs to be addressed is not "Who is going to QB, RB etc.". I believe the problem lies with the defense. When you score 50 pints and go ahead with 1 minute left, BUT STILL LOOSE???......I think we found the problem!
I had a lengthy conversation with one of Ned's coaches the other day, and he admits that the defense is what keeps them in the position to win.

I think, if we can just complete that piece of the puzzle, we could be awesome year after year.

bandkid

Staff member
Here's another outside-looking-in opinion from yours truly, bamakid.

I only got to attend one game this year, and yes, defense was a problem. But Faircloth is an offense-minded coach, so it shouldn't surprise anyone when the majority of our best players end up on starting on offense. And by the same token, in years when we don't have a large amount of talent, it shouldn't surprise anyone when our defense isn't up to par but our offense can hang 50 on the scoreboard. I don't remember many people being surprised when our defense wouldn't give up more than two touchdowns a game but we could hardly put a point on the board during the Burnett years (we posted goose eggs four times and scored a touchdown or less eight times in Coach Burnett's last three years, for example). Why? Because Coach Burnett was a defense-minded coach. Someone brought up Nederland. The same could be said for them the last few years; the offense, while experienced, has been lackluster and the defense has been what the Dogs have hung their hat on.

The preferences and philosophies of the head coach and sometimes a few of his assistants are going to dictate where the talent goes and which side of the ball we'll be better on. That discrepancy is probably more noticeable at the high school level than anywhere else (except the Pac-12, where defense went to die ;D), especially in years when the talent pool is down. We have to accept that. In years when there's a good amount of talent and the pool is fairly uniform (and I believe we have a few of those years coming up), that discrepancy will naturally be reduced and we'll be fielding more complete, competitive teams.

Longbow

The coaching staff recognizes the need to place emphasis on defense for this next year. They have told several players to prepare to play both ways. I know Murdoch, Rose and Walker have been told. I also heard that Sparks, Michael Hughes and Blake Lane will be playing alot both ways. No question about it, defense must be improved. Brandon Bryan was moved from receiver to corner as well. Not sure about linemen and backers.

ndnsrock44

100+ Posts
hpt2012 said:
Longbow said:
The coaches met with the varsity players two weeks ago on an individual basis and discussed their individual roles in next year's team.

He does that every year with the entire team, My nephew played the last two years in Varsity, And he (Faircloth) meet individually with even the seniors (Bertrand, Nelson, etc...). However Ive heard he (Faircloth) didn't meet with any of his outgoing seniors this year. If that's true coming from some outgoing seniors, IMO that's kind of crappy (That's Being nice) on behalf of Coach Faircloth for not affording this kids the opportunity to seat down with him one last time. This were his babies (Incoming Freshmen) when he got here, I guess if they had a poor season, Why bother to meet with the seniors. That's plain Sorry an Un-Indian Nation. Please respond if heard otherwise. Peace
When Burnett was here, the seniors were kicked out of the locker room the Monday after their last game to the "has beens" locker room and were ignored the rest of the year unless they played another sport. He never adressed them individually or even as a group after his post game talk. Is that "crappy" or "plain sorry and UN-Indian" or do we just throw rocks at Faircloth? While we're playing the what if game, let's take out last season and what is his record? To me, last season was the anomally, not his first season. Y'all keep this crap up and he will leave for greener pastures and he will be successful wherever he goes. I guess that will make a segment of this community happy when they have one of their good ol boys back as the Head Coach, no matter what his record is.

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
ndnsrock44 said:
hpt2012 said:
Longbow said:
The coaches met with the varsity players two weeks ago on an individual basis and discussed their individual roles in next year's team.

He does that every year with the entire team, My nephew played the last two years in Varsity, And he (Faircloth) meet individually with even the seniors (Bertrand, Nelson, etc...). However Ive heard he (Faircloth) didn't meet with any of his outgoing seniors this year. If that's true coming from some outgoing seniors, IMO that's kind of crappy (That's Being nice) on behalf of Coach Faircloth for not affording this kids the opportunity to seat down with him one last time. This were his babies (Incoming Freshmen) when he got here, I guess if they had a poor season, Why bother to meet with the seniors. That's plain Sorry an Un-Indian Nation. Please respond if heard otherwise. Peace
When Burnett was here, the seniors were kicked out of the locker room the Monday after their last game to the "has beens" locker room and were ignored the rest of the year unless they played another sport. He never adressed them individually or even as a group after his post game talk. Is that "crappy" or "plain sorry and UN-Indian" or do we just throw rocks at Faircloth? While we're playing the what if game, let's take out last season and what is his record? To me, last season was the anomally, not his first season. Y'all keep this crap up and he will leave for greener pastures and he will be successful wherever he goes. I guess that will make a segment of this community happy when they have one of their good ol boys back as the Head Coach, no matter what his record is.

44 hit the nail on the head with this post!

ingainerYYZ

100+ Posts
ndnsrock44 telling it like it is. GOOD POST ! One bad year does not spell doom for BF. He has loads of talent coming up. Keep the faith...........................greener ( or should i say deeper purple ) pastures lay ahead.

prepballfan

There's No Place Like The Reservation Friday Night
Staff member
Alot of wimpering and whining on here. One down year and its bad coaching or BF is ignoring his leaving kids. You sound like you have some underlying probem. BF was a great coach until now and all of the sudden he is not worth his weight in salt. Come on coaches are allowed to have a bad season or are we here at PNG to good to have a bad season....... Ive witnessed several in my time as an Indian.

akifan94

500+ Posts
Sounds like we have a lot of the "everyone gets a trophy" and "the guys before were better" mentalities on here. Bottom line is if you want to win with limited athletes you have to play disciplined defense and have a QB that can run the system to near perfection. We did neither this year which is reflected in our record.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
justafan said:
Only reason I asked the question if Coach would be back was he did apply for another job last year.

I don't blame him...with some locals seeking to push him out the door every chance they get, a landlocked community that is not growing, a cyclical talent pool with downward trending enrollment numbers, and a fan base that clings to the 1970s, I don't blame him for looking to Central Texas or the DFW Metroplex. PN-G would do well to hang on to him for as long as possible. After he leaves, it may be awhile before a good coach comes along...think back to 1984-1988 when PN-G's enrollment numbers were at the bottom of 5A levels and the normal football season was 4-5-1, 3-7, or worse.

Justafan

2,000+ Posts
1989NDN said:
justafan said:
Only reason I asked the question if Coach would be back was he did apply for another job last year.

I don't blame him...with some locals seeking to push him out the door every chance they get, a landlocked community that is not growing, a cyclical talent pool with downward trending enrollment numbers, and a fan base that clings to the 1970s, I don't blame him for looking to Central Texas or the DFW Metroplex. PN-G would do well to hang on to him for as long as possible. After he leaves, it may be awhile before a good coach comes along...think back to 1984-1988 when PN-G's enrollment numbers were at the bottom of 5A levels and the normal football season was 4-5-1, 3-7, or worse.

Agreed!!!!!!

png94

100+ Posts
So, on a positive note, what's your opinion on next years team? We will be very young, and I'm hearing coach may not do spring practice. Do we have spring practice or have an extra scrimmage? I know alot of players are going to play baseball this year. Whats your take? Which is better in your opinion?

bark

1,000+ Posts
1989NDN said:
justafan said:

??????????????
we will do well to hold on to him - no question the programs in bigger markets are much more attractive than PNG and we do not have much to offer on the social/entertainment side in PN or Groves.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
png94 said:
So, on a positive note, what's your opinion on next years team? We will be very young, and I'm hearing coach may not do spring practice. Do we have spring practice or have an extra scrimmage? I know alot of players are going to play baseball this year. Whats your take? Which is better in your opinion?

For the kids that play multiple sports, good for them. You are only in high school for a short period of time. Play as many sports as you want, get involved and stay involved. Track, baseball, basketball, soccer, golf, swimming, lacrosse, Spring football, 7 on 7, drama, UIL academic clubs, etc. I want for PN-G students to be active. Active students translate into future alumni that care about the ISD and its future generations. That is what makes PN-G a special school. We have students, teachers, administrators, and alumni that care about each other and our ISD. I have no issue with skipping Spring football and getting extra time during the Fall when 2-a-days arrive. Just find kids that want to compete. And, dear Santa Claus, bring us a defense. The end.

Go Indians. Peace.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores