GP vs PNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
pngfan93 said:
Someone please post game updates. I'll be at work until 5 and won't be vale to listen.

Luckily my work is on the computer and I'll have the live webcast going on my second monitor. ;D I'll post some updates.

I hope someone takes photos of the crowd.

attakapandn

100+ Posts
hope GP brought some earplugs or cottn balls cause thery ar gonna hera CHEROKEE a lot! Also might as well close their eyes , they will be seeing a sea of PURPLE AND WHITE along wiht the way the INDIANS can move down the field to the promise land! GO INDIANS SCALP 'EM!

Gp83

THE GREGORY PORTLAND WILDCATS
pngfan93 said:
Great game GP! You fought hard, and claimed a well deserved win!

Thank you...here's my take and a few observations;

1. This was a game between two unbelievable QB's, and I'll be the first to say from EVERYBODY in GP land...we thought PNG was going to hand us our booty after the 1st qtr, but we made adjustments and clawed our way back. Both these QB's were just unreal, I was really proud of how our QB, Fishbeck threw with precision accuracy, only making one bad throw.

2. We heard all week about your fan base, but I'll say this...y'all are the most awesome fans as far as spirit and your pride shows and all the pageantry from the band, dance team, mascot and so forth...it's like the town is brainwashed, and I mean that in a good way...I now get it.

3. Nobody gave us a chance, yet we dug deep and really grew as a team tonight. We tank you for allowing us to play such a top notch opponent...You made us a better team tonight. The offense we ran tonight was built around our QB and you made us earn every yard.

4. The only thing that disappointed me was your team walked off the field, even after the PA announcer was asking you not to leave and calling you back. You coaches stopped, looked at the ceremony table...thought...should we??? turned around and walked off and was noticed by EVERYONE...not cool.

That was the only negative and many positives, including no serious injury's and just a well, hard fought game by both teams and was giving the "Best and most competitive game ever" by the DCTHSF organizers. Awesome team you have and WOW...what an offense.

Thank you

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
GP hung in there and did what it took. Your QB was the difference.

I disagree that no one thought GP would win. GP returned a lot of starters from a succesfull 2009 squad. While that had a lot to do with the PNG miscues, the Indian offense was not firing on all cylinders. Doty's passes were uncharacteristictally off target, and the running game is not where it was last season. But it's the first game of the season and they have time to get back on track.

PN and Groves aren't brainwashed. :laugh: There's just a lot of spirit and 'tradition' in the community. I've yet to see any high school in the state with more spirit.

Gp83

IndianFan said:
GP hung in there and did what it took. Your QB was the difference.

I disagree that no one thought GP would win. GP returned a lot of starters from a succesfull 2009 squad. While that had a lot to do with the PNG miscues, the Indian offense was not firing on all cylinders. Doty's passes were uncharacteristictally off target, and the running game is not where it was last season. But it's the first game of the season and they have time to get back on track.

PN and Groves aren't brainwashed. :laugh: There's just a lot of spirit and 'tradition' in the community. I've yet to see any high school in the state with more spirit.

I have to agree...but we're pretty hard core too...y'all in your own league though. But as for miscues...good teams can do that. If we sucked, then miscues are meaningless. We had a few too, but took advantage of the opportunities. It was just a great game, win or lose.

Gp83

SAN ANTONIO — Port Neches-Groves entered the Texas Football Classic with the intent of stopping the running attack of the Gregory-Portland Wildcats, but they did not anticipate quarterback Kyle Fishbeck shredding the Indians secondary.

Fishbeck finished with three touchdown passes and rushed for another as the Wildcats stunned Port Neches-Groves 30-29 Saturday in the Alamodome.

It's a big season-opening win for the Wildcats, because Port Neches-Groves is coming off a 10-0 regular season a year ago, and received votes in the Associated Press' preseason Class 4A state poll.

Things did not start well for Gregory-Portland as the Indians got a pair of touchdown receptions by Jayce Nelson to take an early 14-0 lead with 1:54 left in the first quarter.

G-P then followed with a six-play 68 yard drive, capped by Fishbeck on a one-yard run on the second play of the second quarter. Two plays into the drive Fishbeck connected with game MVP Justin McArthur for 44-yards to set up the score, cutting the lead to 14-7.

The Indians wasted little time to extend their lead when Brennan Doty connected with Collin Gizzi from 18 yards out with 8:14 left to give PNG a 22-7 lead.

After both teams exchanged punts, the Wildcats got a huge defensive play from Jimmy Salinas, who intercepted Doty at the Indians 27. On the first play after the turnover Fishbeck -- who finished with 281 yards passing, completing 14 of 20 passes -- hit McArthur from 27 yards out for a touchdown. Salinas added the point after, cutting the deficit to 22-21 with less than a minute left in the first half.

G-P came out in the third and quickly took its first lead of the contest. After a penalty set G-P back, Fishbeck found Salinas on the fly and, 71 yards late,r the Wildcats had their first lead of the game 27-22 less than a minute into the second half.

Port Neches-Grove later drove 54 yards, capped by a Doty 35-yard pass to Nelson as the Indians regained the lead at 29-27 with 7:56 left in the third.

Midway through the fourth quarter, G-P marched to the Indians' 21, where Salinas was able to boot a 38-yard field goal to give the Wildcats a 30-29 lead with 5:57 remaining.

The Indians got one more shot, driving to the Wildcats 21 with less than two minutes remaining. However, facing a fourth and 1, the Indians tried a run that was stymied by G-P defensive tackle Preston Smallwood to preserve the victory.

PNG 14 8 7 0--29

G-P 0 21 6 3 --30

PNG--Jayce Nelson 27-yard pass from Brennan Doty (Dylan Browning kick)

PNG--Nelson 27-yard pass from Collin Gizzi (Browning kick)

G-P--Kyle Fishbeck one yard run (Jimmy Salinas kick)

PNG--Gizzi 18-yard pass from Doty (Chase Bertrand run)

G-P--Stephen Roggeman 33-yard pass from Fishbeck (Salinas kick)

G-P--Justin McArthur 27-yard pass from Fishbeck (Salinas kick)

G-P--Salinas 71-yard pass from Fishbeck (pass failed)

PNG--Nelson 35-yard pass from Doty (Browning kick)

G-P--Salinas 38-yard FG

PNG G-P

First Downs 20 23

Rushes-yards 20-71 32-68

Passing yards 253 281

Passing 20-37-1 14-20-0

Punts 3-31 3-37

Fumbles-Lost 1-0 4-2

Penalties-yards 3-25 5-55

INDIVIDUAL STATS

Rushing -- G-P, Roman Rodriquez 8-17, Michael Johnson 6-17, Kyle Fishbeck 13-24, Justin McArthur 5-10. PNG, Chase Bertrand 16-69, Tyle LoCour 1-8, Amir Jalali 1-(-2), Brennan Doty 1-(-4).

Passing--G-P, Kyle Fishbeck 14-20-0 281. PNG, Brennan Doty 20-37-1 226, Collin Gizzi 1-1-0 27.

Receiving--G-P, Jammie Dooms 3-37, Stephen Roggeman 1-33, Michael Johnson 3-20, Jimmy Salinas 2-82, Justin McArthur 5-109. PNG, Amir Jalali 11-32, Jayce Nelson 7-72, Collin Gizzi 5-35, Braden Grusecki 1-8.

© 2010 Corpus Christi Caller Times. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

http://www.caller.com/news/2010/aug/28/g-p-comes-back-to-shock-port-neches-groves/

Gp83

PNG104.jpg

PNG1010.jpg

View all pics---> http://www.facebook.com/photo_search.php?oid=122169797832&view=user#!/group.php?gid=122169797832

Gp83

From Port Arthur newspaper:

August 28, 2010
Indians come up inches short
Steven Cohen
CNHI

SAN ANTONIO — _SAN ANTONIO –In a game decided by the slightest of margins, it was a_ matter of inches that kept Port Neches-Groves from a season-opening victory.

_ Trailing 30-29 in the game's final two minutes, the Indians found_ themselves facing a fourth and inches from the Gregory-Portland 22-yard line._ A running attempt from a full house backfield by Chase Bertrand was halted for no gain by the Wildcats defense and Gregory-Portland escaped with a 30-29 victory over the Tribe at the Texas Football_ Classic Saturday at the Alamodome.

_“We needed three inches,” said a disappointed head coach Brandon Faircloth, whose team tasted defeat for the first time in a regular-season game since 2008.

__ “We always feel good about our chances to make three inches and set our kicker up for the game-winning field goal._ I felt good about the personnel we had in there but give Gregory-Portland credit._

_ They made a great play," said Faircloth.

_ On the third play of the third quarter, Gregory-Portland quarterback Kyle

Fishbeck found Jimmy Salinas alone behind the Indians secondary for a 71-yard touchdown pass._ A failed two-point conversion still left GP with a 27-22 lead.

_ A possession later, D.J. Schexnider sacked Fishbeck and forced a fumble that was recovered by Aaron Easley._ Two plays later, Brennan Doty connected with Jayce Nelson from 35 yards that put PN-G back on top, 29-27.

_ Nelson was the Tribe’s leading receiver, finishing with eight catches for 114 yards and three touchdowns.

_ Gregory-Portland consumed over seven minutes at the end of the third quarter and half of the fourth quarter, marching 67 yards to the PN-G 21 before being held.__ Salinas atoned for an earlier miss by kicking a 38-yard field goal with 5:57 left to give the Wildcats a 30-29 lead.

_ Doty, who finished with 24 completions in 40 attempts with_ two interceptions for 232 yards and three touchdowns, was intercepted_ by Salinas on the Tribe’s next drive.

_ PN-G held Gregory-Portland and a 10-yard punt return by Nelson set the_ Tribe up at the G-P 44 with 3:05 left.

_ Doty completed an 8-yard pass to Amir Jalili and Bertrand ran for five_ yards and a first down at the Wildcat 31._ A complete pass to Jalili lost a yard, an incomplete pass, and a ten-yard completion set up the fourth and one at the G-P 22.

_ “We did some good things today,” Faircloth said._ “We just didn’t do_ enough good things._ We’ll go back, look at film and we’ll all learn_ from this and that will make us a better football team.”

_ Doty had the Indians’ short passing game working early, connecting on 17 of his first 20 passes._ One was a drop by Jalali, who was five yards behind the nearest defender at the GP five._ But Doty failed to connect on his last four passes of the half, and his final first half pass was intercepted, setting up the Wildcats’ late first half score.

__ “I thought we came out red-hot,” Faircloth said._ “But we have to sustain that._ There’s always ebb and flow in a game._ I thought Brennan played real well, but there were some mistakes made and we’re just_ going to have to learn from those.”

_ The Indians wasted little time marching 70 yards in 8 plays with Nelson gathering in a Doty pass and breaking away from cornerback Shelby Hahn for a 29-yard scoring play._ Dylan Browning added the PAT and PN-G grabbed a 7-0 lead with 8:54 left in the first.

_ The Indians defense gave the ball back to the offense, and Doty drove the team into Wildcat territory._ But on fourth and 15 from the 27, Browning came in to attempt a 44-yard field goal._ The snap from center was errant and Collin Gizzi picked up the loose ball and found Nelson alone for a 27-yard touchdown pass that increased the Tribe’s lead to 14-0.

_ But Gregory-Portland used a surprising air attack and answered quickly.

_ Fishbeck found Justin McArthur_ for a 45-yard pass to the Indians 18._ Four plays later, Fishbeck scored from the one on a sneak and GP had cut the lead to 14-7 with 11:18 left in the second.

_ The PN-G defense had some success holding the Wildcats, who run with a_ full-house backfield, to 60 yards rushing.

_ “They threw it more than we expected they would,” Faircloth said. “They have a very good team and they’re well-coached but they’ve developed_ some balance on offense._ We had some success stopping the run but they_ showed that they can throw it and kudos to them._ When you have success_ doing something offensively, you’re going to tend to keep doing it.”

_ Doty ran the short passing game to near perfection, completing five of_ six on the next drive, connecting with Gizzi on an 18-yard scoring pass_ with 8:14 remaining in the half._ Bertrand ran in a 2-point conversion

that increased the Indians’ lead to 22-7.

_ Fishbeck countered, connecting with Steven Roggeman on a 38-yard scoring_ pass to cap a five play drive with 6:09 left, that pulled GP to within_ 22-14.

_Late in the half, a Doty pass sailed over the intended receiver and was_ intercepted by Salinas, who returned the ball two yards to the 27._ On_ the next play, Fishbeck found McArthur for a touchdown with 48 seconds left._ Salinas’ extra point pulled the Wildcats to within 22-21.

_ The most surprising statistical number of the day was_ what GP's Fishbeck accomplished through the air. Fishbeck, who threw for only 1,077 and six TDs in 13 games last year, completed 14 of 22 passes for 281 yards and two TDs.

gpwildcat

nissanindian said:
fair cloth stayed an accepted

Teams were to stay on field. PA announcer repeatedly asked PNG to stay on the field for the ceremony. Yes, I understand that the losing team does not really want to watch the winning team being congratulated. but as the old saying goes "to the victors go the spoils".

My understanding is that the "runner up" trophy presented to PNG was destroyed and left at the Alamodome. No class. Certainly not much Honor or Pride shown, and I hope not a new PNG Tradition.

GO CATS GO DOGS

PNGROW4650YRDLN

100+ Posts
I was very proud to be an INDIAN yesterday. I was proud that the INDIAN NATION turned out the way we did even with the distance between PN & Groves to San Antonio. I was proud of the team and the coaches. Although the win would have been nice, it was not ours to be. Some may think I'm crazy but I see this as a positive thing. This team is not last years team. We need to realize that and so do they. It will take a little while for them to mesh. I don't want our team going into district play being over confident. The game with GP was a wake up call. GP was a strong team. Our district is full of strong teams. I would have to say that GP would probably be close in comparison to Central. So for the players, don't hang your heads. Just know that you create your own destiny and in this district you gotta give 110% in every play. The INDIAN NATION is behind you and believe that you are the team that can give us a heck of a ride this season.

Indian99

500+ Posts
gpwildcat said:
nissanindian said:

Teams were to stay on field. PA announcer repeatedly asked PNG to stay on the field for the ceremony. Yes, I understand that the losing team does not really want to watch the winning team being congratulated. but as the old saying goes "to the victors go the spoils".

My understanding is that the "runner up" trophy presented to PNG was destroyed and left at the Alamodome. No class. Certainly not much Honor or Pride shown, and I hope not a new PNG Tradition.

GO CATS GO DOGS

I seriously doubt that.

NDN4Life

Scalp Em Indians
Indian99 said:
gpwildcat said:
nissanindian said:

GO CATS GO DOGS

I seriously doubt that.

PLEASE

G-P king

No class was shown after the game! Both teams were asked to stay on the field! During the game we were saying how tradition rich and pridefull PNG was but after the game many fans on the G-P side were saying wow to the fact they didnt stay on the field! :huh: I hope next year yall will show some more class. Since G-P wins we get home field next year! :rocks:

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Get over it 'GP-king', enjoy the win, move on and stop gloating over it. You or your fellow fans can think what you want but your judgement is flawed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores