Indian Stadium Renovation

squaw

1,000+ Posts
NDNband69 said:
I spoke with a masonry worker who said there is a problem with steel. This could lead to a 3 week delay. When I saw the major steel work stop almost 2 weeks now, I felt something was not right. If we are lucky, the revised steel might arrive next week. Masonry work is progressing on the home side.

We are also getting people from outside the PNG community driving by to have a look. I spoke with one from Orange who was amazed at what we are going to have. The beautiful field, the steep and massive stands, that college quality video/scoreboard and our crowds are going to push the PNG game experience to a new level. We are very lucky.
I heard from an inside source that all the steel for the seats came in the wrong size and don't fit the schematic from the engineers.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
squaw said:
NDNband69 said:
I spoke with a masonry worker who said there is a problem with steel. This could lead to a 3 week delay. When I saw the major steel work stop almost 2 weeks now, I felt something was not right. If we are lucky, the revised steel might arrive next week. Masonry work is progressing on the home side.

We are also getting people from outside the PNG community driving by to have a look. I spoke with one from Orange who was amazed at what we are going to have. The beautiful field, the steep and massive stands, that college quality video/scoreboard and our crowds are going to push the PNG game experience to a new level. We are very lucky.
I heard from an inside source that all the steel for the seats came in the wrong size and don't fit the schematic from the engineers.

Does that mean what they've already used is the wrong dimensions?

NDN X

100+ Posts
IndianFan said:
squaw said:
NDNband69 said:

Does that mean what they've already used is the wrong dimensions?

Do you think that there was time figured in to the time frame for things like this to happened? Materials backordered, week long rain outs and something like this to happen? I really hope the stadium will get to see a few games this year. I know all the seniors will be so disappointed if it doesn't work out. :(

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Gotta have faith "X". They WILL play at the new stadium! And regardless of how many games they get to play, they will always go down in history as the Indian team that played there 1st! :woohoo:

NDN X

100+ Posts
PNG Proud said:
Gotta have faith "X". They WILL play at the new stadium! And regardless of how many games they get to play, they will always go down in history as the Indian team that played there 1st! :woohoo:

Very true! I just cant wait and I hate to see things start coming up to push the schedule back farther. I will be more positive from now on ;) :thumbsup:

NDNband69

500+ Posts
I recently went back to look at what has to be the premiere high school football stadium in the state. Cypress-Fairbanks ISD football stadium at the Berry Center complex. When I first saw this facility everything about it was jaw dropping. Well I am here to tell you PNG's stadium will surpass them in 3 areas.
Their turf is plain compared to ours. The lettering is plain, no drop shadows. Our fields colors are vibrant. Also our Purple End Zone really stands out. The Indian video board is much larger. While their stands are a very impressive double deck.....we will hold much more. It is nice to know our facility can compete with anyone.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
NDNband69 said:
I recently went back to look at what has to be the premiere high school football stadium in the state. Cypress-Fairbanks ISD football stadium at the Berry Center complex. When I first saw this facility everything about it was jaw dropping. Well I am here to tell you PNG's stadium will surpass them in 3 areas.
Their turf is plain compared to ours. The lettering is plain, no drop shadows. Our fields colors are vibrant. Also our Purple End Zone really stands out. The Indian video board is much larger. While their stands are a very impressive double deck.....we will hold much more. It is nice to know our facility can compete with anyone.

While stadiums like Berry are impressive, campus stadiums like Indian Stadium have a certain character that can't be duplicated.

Berry is my home stadium but I've only been to one game (Cy-Fair vs. Cy-Falls). Two big 5A schools, two huge bands, but the experience was disappointing in that it lacked spirit and excitement that is typical of a Friday night experience on the Reservation.

The updated Indian Stadium won't be a double decker concrete stadium like Berry or Pridgeon Stadium here in Cy-Fair ISD. But the Reservation will be just as impressive in it's own way and have a greater seating capacity. Everyone back home has a lot to look forward to.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
New turf is down at Port Neches-Groves. How far along is the rest of the stadium?
By PERRYN KEYS
July, 7, 2008

PORT NECHES - The grass looks so lush and green that even a cow might feel her mouth water. The soil looks so black and fertile that even the guy from Miracle-Gro might look over his shoulder.

But these days, The Reservation at Port Neches-Groves is something like a Los Angeles tanning salon. It's all fake, all plastic and changing by the minute.

As part of the $10.2 million overhaul to PN-G's football stadium, a work crew has put the finishing touches on FieldTurf, a new-age playing surface that looks and feels nothing like its AstroTurf predecessor.

"You look at this and you say, 'Golly, it's not like it used to be,'" said Matt Burnett, the school's head football coach, athletic director and a PN-G alumnus.

"The thing is, you think about how much we use this field now. You've got the freshman teams, JV and varsity. Then you've got the boys and girls soccer teams, and other teams coming in and playing here. You think about it - that's a lot of use."

Although dozens of schools in Texas have installed FieldTurf or similar surfaces, Port Neches-Groves is the first school in the area to lay down the plastic grass.

FieldTurf, a Montreal-based firm, has been around for a little over a decade. It was the first to usher in the new era of artificial grass, which looks and feels nothing like the old, flat carpet that was first used in the Astrodome and went out of vogue in the early 1990s.

FieldTurf uses plastic blades that mix with fake dirt - which is actually made of ground-up runner pellets, usually recycled from old tires.

Last Tuesday afternoon, a FieldTurf crew scooted along on a tricked-out golf cart, sweeping up and down the field in a lawn mower's pattern, steadily dumping more "soil" on top of the fake grass along the way.

The end zones are purple, with "INDIANS" painted in white with black trim. A PN-G logo also is painted at midfield.

Eventually, the dirt will settle underneath the grass. Some teams even accelerate the process by watering the field with a water sprinkler. It is, perhaps, the ultimate irony - watering a field that doesn't need water - but it speeds up the process of packing in the dirt. Otherwise, if the dirt hasn't settled, it sometimes flies into the air during game action, where it sticks onto sweaty skin - or into an eye.

The new grass at PN-G is one of many renovations to the football stadium this summer. Construction crews are hustling all over the property, speaking to each other in English and Spanish, working on a handful of projects at the same time.

The home-side bleachers already have been knocked out, and a new press box, concession stands and restrooms are in the works. A massive scoreboard and video screen will stand at the north end.

Once construction is complete, only the visitors-side bleachers will remain. (Both sides of the stadium, however, will get new restrooms and concession stands underneath.)

If this project sounds like it's a massive one, well, it might be. And if it sounds like PN-G is in a race against the clock, well, it is.

Training camp begins in less than a month for most teams, and football season will arrive in less than two months. And in case you haven't noticed, it's summertime in Southeast Texas, which means the threat of afternoon thunderstorms is almost daily.

Thunderstorms, of course, halt construction projects. And as any homeowner probably knows, delays seem to be the norm when it comes to building (or renovating) anything.

"We're just going to be patient," Burnett said. "When you're in rebuilding mode, there's always something new."

The Indians already had planned to play the first month of their schedule on the road, allowing the contractor more time to finish.

But already, PN-G has agreed in principle to play its first district home game at Memorial, a few miles down the road in Port Arthur.

PN-G's district opener is Sept. 26. It is supposed to be at home, against Little Cypress-Mauriceville.

Burnett, however, said he has talked to Memorial coach Ronnie Thompson about borrowing the Titans' field - which, by the way, was rebuilt at a cost of more than $500,000.

Thompson and Burnett stumbled upon the idea after they had discussed other matters.

They happen to go back more than three decades. Thompson was an assistant coach at Lamar when Burnett played there as a defensive lineman.

Thompson and Burnett were planning a preseason scrimmage between PN-G and Memorial. The discussion branched out, and one thing led to another. Before long, they talked about the soon-to-be flying hammers at The Reservation.

"If you play 'em, try to beat 'em. If you can't beat 'em, help 'em," Thompson said. "PN-G - that's our backyard rival. We're right next door, and Matt's as honest as the day is long. He's doing everything he can to keep the pride and tradition going over there. So if there's any way we can help him, we'll do it."
http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/local/new_turf_is_down_at_port_neches-groves__how_far_along_is_the_rest_of_the_stadium__07-07-2008_22_39_01.html

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Good article. I'm glad to read that PN-G will scrimmage PAM. PAM has some good athletes (DE R. Scypion) and will make PN-G better. Nice job by Coach Burnett getting some local flavor back between PN-G and PAISD. Go Indians.

Peace.

pngfan93

1,000+ Posts
Went by the stadium around 8:00 pm and still no new work.

I'm not jazzed about fielding a team against PAM since the riot they started their first year of inception when our soccer team ripped them a new one. Hopefully Thompson can keep his players and fans in line.

NDNband69

500+ Posts
While there appears to be no progress in the area of steel, there is major progress in another area. I almost missed seeing it. The panels of the video board , about 80% installed. Nice black panels. I like ! ! ! !

PNG1992

Port Neches, TEXAS
pngfan93 said:
I missed it. I want pictures of them installing it. I'll try to get out during the day tomorrow.

then you better go early they were almost done this evening. ;)

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
I hate seeing all these idle days, especially after the great progress so far. I was pretty impressed...till now.

NDNband69

500+ Posts
I wish the school officials would let us know when the revised steel should arrive. . . .or give us some sort of time table.
If it comes in soon, we still have a shot.

Would you believe that my three favorite teams are doing stadium renovations or new construction.
#1 My PNG Indians Go Purple ! ! !
#2 My Texas Longhorns Hook'em ! ! !
#3 The Dallas Cowboys How Bout them Cowboys ! ! !

I'm loving it.
You can easily find me at the game. I'm in purple. . . w/ the white Longhorn emblem.

pngfan93

1,000+ Posts
They are also putting metal roofing on the visitors' facilities.

web.jpg

web.jpg

NDN X

100+ Posts
someone at work today told me they saw "walkers" on the track. I cant believe this would be allowed with all that is still going on.....is the track even totally complete?

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores