Injuries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

png tribe

100+ Posts
I totally understand your point's. I guess I'm kind of old school and you earn everything that you get. Hopefully it get's better for your child.

pngmom4

500+ Posts
I totally agree with being old school, that's how it was for me too. I am sure that PNG is not the only school to have these incentives either

attakapandn

100+ Posts
way to much homework nowadays, my kid has done homewoerk all weekend before just to catch up.. it is crazy! And the added stress of making a good grade to stay in sports does not help. By the time they do ehe after school practice, games etc , and then do all the homework , no wonder our kids are stressed out nowadays!

To me if a student has failed , the coach should make that student get the help he needs or remove his playing status till he shows imporvements. As for this weekend game if a student has failed i would not let him start if he is a starter for at least a QTR. Not right to have the student start if he not making the grade. IMO.

pngdad8520

100+ Posts
I have mixed feelings on that ^, But at this point, You would sit a kid who helped get you to this point ? I would hate to make that call !

yankeedawg

500+ Posts
pngmom4 said:
NDNNAtion, I would be nice to have only 10 problems. I sometimes look at the homework sheet and see atleast 40 problems. Bandkid you are right, they will be better for having had Mr. Comer. With math, the more you do, the more you learn.

So Indian03, does that make any of our non-passing eligible? I hope so.

PNG Tribe, ask your child about the how some teachers give extra points in class for different things. ie, points for bringing papers towels, points for the best point spread of the football game. As I said, I don't believe in giving grades, but some of the teachers try to help those kids to get that extra half point that they may need. It not only helps those failing, it also helps those who may have an 89.3 and they really want that 90 when grades go in.

If that kinda thing was acceptable when I was in HS, I woulda made it to Harvard!!! with a full scholarship!!! ;D

PNGfan

100+ Posts
First the UIL rule use to be if you failed, you missed six weeks period. Now they get to play after the three week period if passing. Second, I love sports, but for about 99% of student athletes, they will go to college for academics and not sports. How hard is it to get a dang 70? Come on. I think it's a shock for some parents and kids when they get to high school because the pace of work picks up. I feel confident that our school district prepares the students for college alot better then most districts around here. You can always shop around other districts and ask who doesn't give homework and then move there. ;D

NDN NATION

100+ Posts
I have never had a problem with the amount of homework my children are given until one of mine got Mr. Comer this year. One problem takes up a whole page. Trust me I am not complaining because my children are getting a wonderful education and that will serve them later in life.

PNGfan

100+ Posts
NDN NATION said:
I have never had a problem with the amount of homework my children are given until one of mine got Mr. Comer this year. One problem takes up a whole page. Trust me I am not complaining because my children are getting a wonderful education and that will serve them later in life.

my last sentence was a joke.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Off Topic ... only for a second or two ... I think the world of Steve Comer. When I was in school back in the 1980s, he taught algebra II, pre-cal, and calculus. He was the PN-G tennis coach, a bus driver, a class sponsor from time-to-time, a hall monitor, and anything else the district needed him to do. He held tutorials for kids that had some trouble with pre-cal and calculus; he would come early or stay late depending upon if students voted for a morning or afternoon session. Unless he has changed drastically in 20-25 years, I always thought of him going above and beyond to teach kids math. I know he used to help out PN-G kids in extra-curricular activities and give some easy pop-quizzes and extra credit work so kids could earn their way to eligibility. Go talk to him. He's an old TJ guy, I think. But, he's been with PN-GISD for 30+ years I bet. He's an Indian through and through. Maybe he's sharpened up around the edges and is a little harder now ... I don't know ... but back in 1985-1989 you would not find a better teacher/friend to PN-G kids. Steve Comer, Lynn Dickerson, Coach Hooper, Ms. Hebert, Coach Terry Cobb, Mac McGreevy, Sue Wharton, Coach Togo Railey, Coach Don Bryson, Ms. Almany, Mrs. Ainsworth, Al Hebert, and many others there at PN-G gave everything they had to help PN-G kids make their grades.

OK ... back on topic ... here's to the Indians healing fast and getting ready to play a great game on Saturday.

Go Indians. Peace.

pngfan66

500+ Posts
I know some schools have study and tutorial class for athletes to help them along. I feel that if this is offered the coaches should insist on players going who are struggling. (I know this is a statement just about athletes) any student involved and any activity should be monitored closely by their respective coaches, directors, etc..... My son goes in early before school to seek help when he needs it. Sometimes his teachers are there and other times they are not. Most of the time he goes in because the work is not allowed to be brought home to work on or complete. Lets hope all our boys keep their grades up and we continue winning. Like I tell my children your grades do have to come before athletics.

pnprntkal

attakapandn said:
way to much homework nowadays, my kid has done homewoerk all weekend before just to catch up.. it is crazy! And the added stress of making a good grade to stay in sports does not help. By the time they do ehe after school practice, games etc , and then do all the homework , no wonder our kids are stressed out nowadays!

To me if a student has failed , the coach should make that student get the help he needs or remove his playing status till he shows imporvements. As for this weekend game if a student has failed i would not let him start if he is a starter for at least a QTR. Not right to have the student start if he not making the grade. IMO.
Kinda harsh. Don't forget...the #1 reason we play is to WIN! We play the best kids...the ones who didn't pass will be punished according to UIL rules.

NDN NATION

100+ Posts
PNGfan said:
NDN NATION said:

my last sentence was a joke.

I know that I was referring to Attakapandn's remark about the kids having so much homework.

NDN NATION

100+ Posts
My kid at first didn't like ole Mr. Comer but now she loves his class. He does give pop quizzes but easy they are not. But he does got above and beyond to help the kids that need or ask for it.

His first years of teaching were at TJ. I have a friend that is a lil older than me and she had him back then.

bark

1,000+ Posts
My daughter had Comer and tuff - yes - will you like him when your kid goes to College -YES. He is respected in the teaching community.

pngmom4

500+ Posts
1989NDN said:
Off Topic ... only for a second or two ... I think the world of Steve Comer. When I was in school back in the 1980s, he taught algebra II, pre-cal, and calculus. He was the PN-G tennis coach, a bus driver, a class sponsor from time-to-time, a hall monitor, and anything else the district needed him to do. He held tutorials for kids that had some trouble with pre-cal and calculus; he would come early or stay late depending upon if students voted for a morning or afternoon session. Unless he has changed drastically in 20-25 years, I always thought of him going above and beyond to teach kids math. I know he used to help out PN-G kids in extra-curricular activities and give some easy pop-quizzes and extra credit work so kids could earn their way to eligibility. Go talk to him. He's an old TJ guy, I think. But, he's been with PN-GISD for 30+ years I bet. He's an Indian through and through. Maybe he's sharpened up around the edges and is a little harder now ... I don't know ... but back in 1985-1989 you would not find a better teacher/friend to PN-G kids. Steve Comer, Lynn Dickerson, Coach Hooper, Ms. Hebert, Coach Terry Cobb, Mac McGreevy, Sue Wharton, Coach Togo Railey, Coach Don Bryson, Ms. Almany, Mrs. Ainsworth, Al Hebert, and many others there at PN-G gave everything they had to help PN-G kids make their grades.

OK ... back on topic ... here's to the Indians healing fast and getting ready to play a great game on Saturday.

Go Indians. Peace.

Mr. Comer still does those things. He is a very good teacher, just gives sooooo much homework.

the teacher that I referred to as not helping is an English teacher. My daughter had her last year and she won't budge. My daughter was exempted from the final in English. She needed less that 1 point to have a 90 for the semester and the teacher tells her, "if you want to improve your average, take the final". Would a percentage of a point have hurt this teacher, no. My daughter did take the final , by the way.

This teacher says that she does everything by the book. That is ok, but her husband was the officer on duty at the high school and he spent too much time in her class. My point is, if the teacher follows all rules, she should have not let her husband spend so much time in her class. He was getting paid to oversee the whole school and not one class.

yankeedawg

500+ Posts
I had nuns in grammar school and Marist Brothers in HS... These kids today don't know what a tough teacher is!!!

Back in the day ----No second chances...no make up tests...no talking in class...godforbid you got caught chewing gum or smoking cigarettes...no trivial lawsuits by parents...corporal punishment ruled....you screwed up & you were screwed!!!

PNGfan

100+ Posts
pngmom4 said:
1989NDN said:

Go Indians. Peace.

Mr. Comer still does those things. He is a very good teacher, just gives sooooo much homework.

the teacher that I referred to as not helping is an English teacher. My daughter had her last year and she won't budge. My daughter was exempted from the final in English. She needed less that 1 point to have a 90 for the semester and the teacher tells her, "if you want to improve your average, take the final". Would a percentage of a point have hurt this teacher, no. My daughter did take the final , by the way.

This teacher says that she does everything by the book. That is ok, but her husband was the officer on duty at the high school and he spent too much time in her class. My point is, if the teacher follows all rules, she should have not let her husband spend so much time in her class. He was getting paid to oversee the whole school and not one class.

That's funny because I know both very well. Sounds like you have a personal issue and thats sad because that teacher your talking about on a message board is a great teacher, tough, but good. What's her husband have to do with your kid getting an 89? Her husband is a great officer and did his job at the high school WHEN he worked there. The officers work the school on thier day off. Sounds like you have some issues going on.

PNGfan

100+ Posts
Yep, and I find it offensive for someone to post something like that. Teachers have thier off periods and if I chose to visit with my spouse, then I don't see the issue. The school was safe when I worked there and that I can promise you. Some people try to find every excuse for certain actions.

BTW, that teacher has been teaching for 15 years, mostly in PNG, and a couple in Katy ISD. She has her masters in Administration and is a proud graduate of Texas A&M University. I have full respect for her and her ability as a teacher in PNGISD.

pngmom4

500+ Posts
I said nothign about my child getting an 89 because of her husband. My problem is her husband spent my child's whole class period hanging out in the class. I, as a taxpayer, do not think that the oifficer's job is to patrol only one class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores