Ken Watson

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
I was alive but not aware of football coaches. More into playing neighborhood football or riding a Schwinn bike at that time. Possible names... Ken Watson, Bruce Bush, Paul Carswell.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Doug Ethridge brought Ken Clearman to PN-G in 1973. Coach Clearman was with Coach Ethridge in Hobbs, NM, and at Port Arthur Thomas Jefferson in 1972. They came to PN-G together in 1973 and left together after the 1983 football season. Coach Ethridge hired Bruce Bush in 1974 or 1975 to coach DBs. Coach Bush adopted Coach Ethridge's offense and the split-six defense and had a long and successful coaching career at Alice, Gregory-Portland, and San Marcos. Coach Ethridge also hired Tim Nunez and Greg Davis, and he promoted Coach Troy. Not too shabby when putting together a top-notch staff.

I'm not sure of the OC and DC during Coach Watson's run as HC. According to Down the Trails of Victory, Buck Ford reported that Jackie Hathorn was brought in around 1970 because PN-G switched to the wishbone. Coach Hathorn was the QB coach. Other assistant coaches listed by Buck Ford included Joe Allen, Skeet Williams, Moe O'Brien, Paul Carswell, Rodney LeBoeuf, and Cecil Green. Maybe Coach Watson called his own plays? Not too hard to call Jeff Bergeron left, Jeff Bergeron right, pitch the ball to Jeff Bergeron and get out of his way, and surprise, throw the ball to Jeff Bergeron. I would have pulled the QB, put in an extra blocker and snapped the ball directly to Jeff Bergeron with instructions to, "do what you do."

rush

Doug Ethridge brought Ken Clearman to PN-G in 1973. Coach Clearman was with Coach Ethridge in Hobbs, NM, and at Port Arthur Thomas Jefferson in 1972. They came to PN-G together in 1973 and left together after the 1983 football season. Coach Ethridge hired Bruce Bush in 1974 or 1975 to coach DBs. Coach Bush adopted Coach Ethridge's offense and the split-six defense and had a long and successful coaching career at Alice, Gregory-Portland, and San Marcos. Coach Ethridge also hired Tim Nunez and Greg Davis, and he promoted Coach Troy. Not too shabby when putting together a top-notch staff.

I'm not sure of the OC and DC during Coach Watson's run as HC. According to Down the Trails of Victory, Buck Ford reported that Jackie Hathorn was brought in around 1970 because PN-G switched to the wishbone. Coach Hathorn was the QB coach. Other assistant coaches listed by Buck Ford included Joe Allen, Skeet Williams, Moe O'Brien, Paul Carswell, Rodney LeBoeuf, and Cecil Green. Maybe Coach Watson called his own plays? Not too hard to call Jeff Bergeron left, Jeff Bergeron right, pitch the ball to Jeff Bergeron and get out of his way, and surprise, throw the ball to Jeff Bergeron. I would have pulled the QB, put in an extra blocker and snapped the ball directly to Jeff Bergeron with instructions to, "do what you do."
If Ethridge had arrived 2 years earlier, there is no doubt PNG would have had a State Title. Possibly 2. He would have put Bergeron in the "I" standing where he could have seen the field better. You saw what he did in the Bone where he couldn't see the field pre-snap! Would have been awesome to see. Just my opinion!

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (0-0)
at
Klein Oak Panthers (0-0)

Friday, Aug. 30, 7:00PM

Klein Memorial Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores