Lumberton Raiders at Port Neches-Groves Indians

pngfan66

500+ Posts
Hey the boys won ! Isn't that what counts ? I new lumberton was gonna be more tough than what people expected. Gotta give lumberton credit. They played a good game. Sure we had some wrongs in the game. But the coaches did make adjustments that helped in the secondary. Anyone know what happened to walker ? Was he injured ?
I liked clopton and madina rotating in with Womack. Seemed to give us the bigger back to run over people and lay some hits. AJ had a good game. Happy with the outcome. I see lumberton beating a few teams.

phetonb

Looked like Walker injured his thumb. He had it iced and then wrapped. I hope it is not going to keep him out long, but it is his right thumb / hand.

robertpz

So if I am reading all of this posts on the Lumberton game correctly PNG had a kid score 4 TDs tonight & took a knee on a potential 5th and I see a few "AJ had a good game" comments? ANY kid that scores 4 TDs deserves more support than that? Faircloth had AJ sit on the varsity bench all last season while Walker got to play underclass ball. The minute AJ struggled against a good WO-S team, he pulls the plug on the AJ experiment & puts him in a new position he never practiced at?

Whether you like it or not AJ is your QB at the moment (and maybe longer depending on Walker's hand). You need to support this kid because he will do you guys proud. And whether or not he does well will not be the reason PNG wins or loses. It will be how poorly the defense has played against the pass. From 7-on-7 thru last night it has looked soft against the pass. Teams are averaging mid 20s/game. Now against a run happy team like Vidor they might still do well, but if Lumberton can throw against PNG, Lord help you against teams w/ a decent QB the rest of district play.

Anyway, that's my nickel's worth. Support your starters when they're out there especially when they do well. And always be mindful that last week's WR could be this week's QB in a blink of an eye...

pngfan66

500+ Posts
robertpz said:
So if I am reading all of this posts on the Lumberton game correctly PNG had a kid score 4 TDs tonight & took a knee on a potential 5th and I see a few "AJ had a good game" comments? ANY kid that scores 4 TDs deserves more support than that? Faircloth had AJ sit on the varsity bench all last season while Walker got to play underclass ball. The minute AJ struggled against a good WO-S team, he pulls the plug on the AJ experiment & puts him in a new position he never practiced at?

Whether you like it or not AJ is your QB at the moment (and maybe longer depending on Walker's hand). You need to support this kid because he will do you guys proud. And whether or not he does well will not be the reason PNG wins or loses. It will be how poorly the defense has played against the pass. From 7-on-7 thru last night it has looked soft against the pass. Teams are averaging mid 20s/game. Now against a run happy team like Vidor they might still do well, but if Lumberton can throw against PNG, Lord help you against teams w/ a decent QB the rest of district play.

Anyway, that's my nickel's worth. Support your starters when they're out there especially when they do well. And always be mindful that last week's WR could be this week's QB in a blink of an eye...
Your right AJ did have a good game. He ran over and thru several of the Raiders defenders. His passing was still shakey but I will take it. He did throw a great TD pass to Rose in the endzone. I liked the rotation of running backs. Clopton can run hard and hit hard when he does have the ball. The other backs ran well also. Medina seems to be bigger than Womack and can run thru people a little more. But BF is working things to our advantage as best he can and he knows who will benefit for each situation and play. Receivers made some incredible sideline catches. AJ went up and grabbed one with one hand. That is a total threat if Walker returns. I think that showed AJ's abilities at WR.
Defense. Defensive secondary took it on the chin several times. Once we went from a 4 man D line to a 3 down line we added that extra secondary player which helped with outside run containment. I think the D line had 4 sacks last night if not more.
What this D reminds me of is the one we had 2-3 years ago with DJ. Coaches moved players around and put DJ at middle linebacker and he ran all over the field. I was watching D. Peveto last night. He was all over the field when he was playing and he was laying the wood as well. Maybe that would be a good player to put in at a middle linebacker position. He his tall, fast and can flat out hit. Our linebackers had a good game as well overall.

Someone said the O line was not blocking well. They did a good job. When you watch the game Lumberton was sending 2 linebackers almost every play on a blitz. We ran the ball and passed the ball and scored touchdowns. The team won the game. IMHO this team has the capability and talent to win games and make the playoffs. Just alittle more player repositioning and we should be fine.
'

IBLEEDPURPLE

1,000+ Posts
I'm not concerned with the offense as much as the defense. We allowed a Lumberton team who had only scored 8 total points in their last three outings to put up 25 points on our home field. We have allowed at least 20 points to be scored on us on each of the four games we have played. If we continue to allow these kind of points, teams like Nederland, Vidor and Livingston (who are all successful at stuffing the run down their opponents throats) will have their way with us with potentially lopsided victories. I do not want to see that happen.

pngfan66

500+ Posts
This game has to be a confidence booster for the team. I hope this game also gave AJ some more confidence as a QB.

akifan94

500+ Posts
I love all the hope and optimism but Lumberton is a very bad football team. I am not trying to knock anyone but we do not have the offense this year to trade scores with the better teams. LC-M, Livingston and Central are beatable but our defensive back 7 will need to find themselves quickly.

NDNband69

500+ Posts
PNG football team celebrates the win.
PNGteamcelebrates.jpg

That's all the support Lumberton gets for a crowd.
Lumbcrowd2.jpg

pngfan66

500+ Posts
akifan94 said:
I love all the hope and optimism but Lumberton is a very bad football team. I am not trying to knock anyone but we do not have the offense this year to trade scores with the better teams. LC-M, Livingston and Central are beatable but our defensive back 7 will need to find themselves quickly.
I agree to a point. Secondary is still not were they need to be. I feel the coaches will see this even more and make the required defensive adjustments to put the team in a better position to make stops. The team has had to face this adversity before in past years and they pulled together and made it happen. I look for this years team to do the same. I am obviously more optimistic than most. I want them to find the good positives and build on that. Not live up to the pessimistic anti PNG, this team sucks, they have no talent, they are not capable BS. People slammed PNG in the past for their D and they still stood tall and made it happen. Also for those that are always cramming that this team has no talent, yet in the same breath talks about how talented the Junior and Sophomore class is, remember alot of those talented underclassmen are on the varsity now.
Let me put it simply so it easier to understand: Either you support this team or you don't. If you do then encouragement and support is what they need. If you don't support this team then suit up and go out and show em how its done.

akifan94

500+ Posts
pngfan66 said:
akifan94 said:
I agree to a point. Secondary is still not were they need to be. I feel the coaches will see this even more and make the required defensive adjustments to put the team in a better position to make stops. The team has had to face this adversity before in past years and they pulled together and made it happen. I look for this years team to do the same. I am obviously more optimistic than most. I want them to find the good positives and build on that. Not live up to the pessimistic anti PNG, this team sucks, they have no talent, they are not capable BS. People slammed PNG in the past for their D and they still stood tall and made it happen. Also for those that are always cramming that this team has no talent, yet in the same breath talks about how talented the Junior and Sophomore class is, remember alot of those talented underclassmen are on the varsity now.
Let me put it simply so it easier to understand: Either you support this team or you don't. If you do then encouragement and support is what they need. If you don't support this team then suit up and go out and show em how its done.

I am not sure if you are directing that last comment at me but I am just posting facts and if that is too much for any fan or player to deal with than they do not need to be on a board created for all fans to post their opinions. We can get on here and blow happy smoke all day but the bottom line is if the play does not get better this team will not make the playoffs.

attakapandn

100+ Posts
akifan94, thats all and fine for stating the facts but do you have a kid on the team? I know for a FACT the boys read everything on this board good and bad. As a parent/fan we should support these kids in good times or struggling times. They are given their all! For a kid to be succussful in anything it takes confindence , and with all the negativity going on here what do you think that does to a kid? So i sugguest that we all back off on the negativity and start see the good these boys are doing. At least they are out there playing, and not quitting or giving up! We won this game cause the boys wanted to win this and EARNed IT!

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
attakapandn, you've said things along the same line yourself on this message board. So get off the high horse.

Everyone on here supports the team as much as you do. And those of us that have played on the field and not just observed from the stands have a good idea of what they're going through. Especially those of us who played on teams with losing records. Surely you know that PN-G has had quite a few bad seasons through the years. Yes it's a bummer but players just keep working hard and trying to improve. The coaches are telling them the same.

Young people have to learn to deal with life. They're not going to be pampered and hidden from the facts as you say. These are teenagers anyway, not 6 year olds playing on a pee wee team.

The players need to know that their destiny is controlled by their actions in offseason, practice and on the playing field. And if it doesn't work out, they're not terrible players or people. It just wasn't their year. But it's not at that point yet. They could win every game the rest of this season. And nothing we say on this board will decide that one way or another. The players destiny is in their own hands.

So keep supporting the team, but enough of the idealism. Let PNG football fans talk PNG football while the players enjoy their time under the lights. It goes quickly. We all think the world of them and wish them the best on Friday night and in life. They will be better men from playing PNG football, and will never forget the experience win or lose.

badndn

500+ Posts
For what its worth from a previous post, the PNG defense did not give up 25 last night...They gave up 19. 6 were scored on the fumble return.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Lumberton has been trying to beat PNG for years. They may have played their best game of the season and it still wasn't enough. It was a good win.

robertpz

Actually I said they gave up an average of 25 a game & that was being kind considering Summer Creek score. And from what I just heard AJ will be the QB for the next few weeks minimum if not longer. So time to get on the AJ bandwagon because it may be the only one you have...

Good luck against LCM. PNG definitely should do well...

Justafan

2,000+ Posts
Faircloth got rid of Kroeker because he felt the defense was lacking, but they have been pathetic the past 2 seasons.
We cannot tackle ...PERIOD!!!!!!!! Our defense of play calling simply just SUCKS!!!!! NO aggression at all!!!!! Worst defensive schemes I've seen in years. LCM, Ned, Ozen, Central and Livingston are going to KILL us unless some changes are made and soon.

PNG PRIDE

Our entire O-Line needs to be benched. Edit. Make that our entire secondary too.
I do believe this statement is the voice of a trader. Only true fans understand that this is a sport of High School boys and not professionals. To all that sit behind their usernames an bash our students need to be knock off the forum. We as parents and fans need to support our teams and understand that they themselves beat themselves up when they do wrong. As fans it is not our right to bash them. We should be supporting them and our coaches and let the coaches take care of our teams. After all that is why they are coaches. Each week we sit in our stands and make personal comments about our coaches and players when in fact a fan supports them even when things go bad for us. We forget as parents and fans that all the finger pointing is not going to do anything for our students but keep their morale down. Instead of recognizing that not only do our boys compete against their oppents but they also have to contend with the officials and now the so called fans that bash them on this forum and the so called fans that leave before the game is over. Maybe this week if everyone will be supportive and show the boys and coaches they we are truly fans then maybe you will see a difference. If not they are still our children that try hard to win.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores