Next Coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
The fact that he will serve as a mentor suggests they are not necessarily leaning toward an experienced HC, but I am on the fence as to whether this is a good or bad thing. However, as I have said before I would prefer a promising up and coming assistant to a so-so HC, and in combination with coach Dodge that could be a dynamite result. I am not sure how it would work if he was attempting to “mentor” a so-so retread, but his involvement with our program seems like a great development in any case.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
I would take 50%, or less of Todd Dodge’s influence over 100% of any other coach on the horizon. We have to try and look for some positives versus continuing the grieving and anger over Coach Faircloth departing. What went down to cause that to happen cannot be changed. Responsibility for that will always belong to someone. But think about the future. Any positive influence from Todd Dodge, his culture or his system is quite a nice step in the right direction. I was hoping he’d receive and accept the AD/HC job. But this is the next best thing for the positive momentum of the program. If everyone can lower their guard and cynicism for a moment, those positives might become more obvious.

rodney12345678

100+ Posts
I would take 50%, or less of Todd Dodge’s influence over 100% of any other coach on the horizon. We have to try and look for some positives versus continuing the grieving and anger over Coach Faircloth departing. What went down to cause that to happen cannot be changed. Responsibility for that will always belong to someone. But think about the future. Any positive influence from Todd Dodge, his culture or his system is quite a nice step in the right direction. I was hoping he’d receive and accept the AD/HC job. But this is the next best thing for the positive momentum of the program. If everyone can lower their guard and cynicism for a moment, those positives might become more obvious.
that is true will have to see how it plays out

Davidp43

100+ Posts
With the hiring of dodge as a consultant. Thinking a Westlake assistant will be new ad/hc or he will be hc/ad after a year since he can't coach next year since he retired

Torino

500+ Posts
With the hiring of dodge as a consultant. Thinking a Westlake assistant will be new ad/hc or he will be hc/ad after a year since he can't coach next year since he retired
a Westlake assistant might be a good selection. The school has won its last 40 games. 3 consecutive state championships.

Last edited:

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
A little disappointing that he won’t have more involvement overall and longer term. But any percentage of Todd Dodge’s time is a positive. Especially if it influences the selection of a good coach.

15PNG

500+ Posts
I'm REALLY excited about this, but I just pray it's not smoke and mirrors so that Indian Nation gets wrapped around the axle as a diversion to who they're planning to hire already. Again, I'm excited that Coach Dodge's name is anywhere near any of this!!! But I am snake bit about the politics.

LET'S DO THIS!

Davidp43

100+ Posts
Another person that I would like to see on the list but probably has no interest in the position. Already a head coach currently, don’t know if he’s the Ad even took his team to a state title game and has strong ties to Todd Dodge. Riley Dodge himself would be great. Current head coach of Southlake Carroll and was beaten by his father in the title game

Justafan

2,000+ Posts
Another person that I would like to see on the list but probably has no interest in the position. Already a head coach currently, don’t know if he’s the Ad even took his team to a state title game and has strong ties to Todd Dodge. Riley Dodge himself would be great. Current head coach of Southlake Carroll and was beaten by his father in the title game
Don’t see that happening

PatsCowboy

I am new here but have followed the Indians longer than most of here have been on this earth. I also will say I have known Todd longer than any poster on here, since Fred asked me to help recruit him even if I didn't like Ronnie. (Remember, Fred's first job out of Arkansas was as an assistant to Buckshot Underwood.)

Todd and his wife love Southlake. I'm not sure they sold their house when they moved to CenTex. He retired from Westlake so they could move back to Southlake and be closer to their grandbabies. Whomever got him to assist PNG is brilliant. PNG has made three major coaching decision that changed football, two bad, one great. Bringing in Doug Etheridge was a stroke of genius. Not bringing in Phil Danaher and/or releasing his name to the Beaumont Surprise were the two of the three stupidest actions by the PNG administration since it started in the 20s.

You want to know who applied, call the Surprise & they will demand the list to publish under the freedom of information act. A superintendent with any class and dignity would have contacted everyone on that list to offer to let them withdraw their name, particularly Danaher. I called her up and told her as much, but she said it would cost her $5,000 to get a TRO. That alone was a huge display of ignorance. $5,000 to preserve the school's dignity and image would have been a small price to pay, but most assuredly local counsel would have done it for free.

The posters on this forum seem to be plugged in and in the know. As I am no longer a taxpayer to the district, but still follow the teams, please ensure that we don't have another embarrassment like that again.

FWIW, I would have hired Danaher regardless of the cost. Good guy, great coach.

bark

1,000+ Posts
I am new here but have followed the Indians longer than most of here have been on this earth. I also will say I have known Todd longer than any poster on here, since Fred asked me to help recruit him even if I didn't like Ronnie. (Remember, Fred's first job out of Arkansas was as an assistant to Buckshot Underwood.)

Todd and his wife love Southlake. I'm not sure they sold their house when they moved to CenTex. He retired from Westlake so they could move back to Southlake and be closer to their grandbabies. Whomever got him to assist PNG is brilliant. PNG has made three major coaching decision that changed football, two bad, one great. Bringing in Doug Etheridge was a stroke of genius. Not bringing in Phil Danaher and/or releasing his name to the Beaumont Surprise were the two of the three stupidest actions by the PNG administration since it started in the 20s.

You want to know who applied, call the Surprise & they will demand the list to publish under the freedom of information act. A superintendent with any class and dignity would have contacted everyone on that list to offer to let them withdraw their name, particularly Danaher. I called her up and told her as much, but she said it would cost her $5,000 to get a TRO. That alone was a huge display of ignorance. $5,000 to preserve the school's dignity and image would have been a small price to pay, but most assuredly local counsel would have done it for free.

The posters on this forum seem to be plugged in and in the know. As I am no longer a taxpayer to the district, but still follow the teams, please ensure that we don't have another embarrassment like that again.

Glad you know Fred. He also recruited Wooster from BC. Steve hated him but loved Royal.
far as the freedom of record act— to find the finalist they’ll NEVER do that. Ask WOS and every other district. Only finalist named
Your gonna be surprised
BTW wasn’t Gonzales (sup) Dad a coach down in the Valley?
On this Dodge issue - he was an extremely successful Hs Coach.

snowbird

I think we have a new drunk poster among us.

bandkid

Staff member

I understand all of your points, and I don’t disagree with the underlying sentiment. I will point out, though, that once a public information request was filed for the list of applicants, Texas law required disclosure, and with marginal room for variation depending on exactly how the request was phrased, offering the applicants a chance to withdraw their name wouldn’t have made a difference, because the Texas Public Information Act required disclosure of the requested material as it existed at the time the request was filed. Stated plainly, it’s just not that simple.

As per usual, nothing I say here is intended as legal advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores