NEXT GAME: PNG (12-1) vs Huntsville Hornets (8-5)

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
We can’t take Huntsville lightly. They put a beating on us the last 2 times we played them.

They also beat Randall, who trounced them earlier in the season. They are definitely better than their record would suggest, as they clearly seem to have improved during the course of the season. I feel very confident about the outcome of the game, but they certainly can’t be taken lightly. They are good enough that things could go bad real quickly if we make too many mistakes or fail to execute the way we are capable of executing. We can’t afford an emotional letdown after the big victory over MLC, nor can we be fooled by their record into thinking the game will necessarily be easy. However, if we play the way we are capable of playing we should be preparing for the semifinals this time next week.

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
The most telling game of a dangerous Huntsville
They only lost to A&M Consolidated by 11

And AMC is better this year than the last few years and they’re almost always good

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Nice map of NRG and also mentions they are on East side.

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts

Coach Joseph seems well aware of all of the things I am concerned about regarding this game. This is not at all surprising of course, but it is nevertheless comforting. He will have the team well prepared for this game as usual.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Coach Joseph seems well aware of all of the things I am concerned about regarding this game. This is not at all surprising of course, but it is nevertheless comforting. He will have the team well prepared for this game as usual.
These coaches have seen a lot. Joseph, McDaniel and McCrary while with the top programs in the state. Add a veteran PN-G staff who have seen a lot of playoff ball in the past 10 years and nothing is going to sneak up on these guys. It’s going to come down to how well the players can execute the plans while minimizing mistakes.

Justafan

2,000+ Posts

100+ Posts
We've got our tickets. I dislike Ticketmaster. Hopefully we'll be able to get into the game, if I download the correct app, be able to log into the TM site (along with 15000 other people), then access the "special" app that I received an email about this afternoon, and by that time my phone battery doesn't die. They don't make this easy, and I'm tempted to go ahead and just go straight to the gate and pay for another ticket when I get there. Go Indians!

100+ Posts
Predictions from the Houston Chronicle:

Port Neches-Groves (12-1) vs. Huntsville (8-5) | Region III-5A Division II final
7 p.m. Friday at NRG Stadium
The Hornets have been one of the surprise teams of the Class 5A playoffs after going 5-5 and finishing third in their district during the regular season. They will meet their greatest challenge to date against No. 3 state-ranked Port Neches-Groves, which knocked off No. 1 Lake Creek last week. The Indians are in the regional championship for the second straight year and third time in program history. PNG knocked off Fort Bend Marshall at this juncture a year ago to reach the state semifinals. The Indians have won 23 of their last 25 games, the only losses coming in last year’s state final against South Oak Cliff and Week 1 this season against Port Arthur Memorial. PNG’s defense has improved from last year. The Indians are allowing 15.4 points per game, compared to 21.1 last season. Huntsville, which made the playoffs last year despite a sub-.500 record, is playing in the regional championship for the first time since 2018. The Hornets were 1-3 to begin this season and lost to Lake Creek and Randle in district play. Huntsville bounced back last week to defeat Randle 14-13 in the second meeting. Huntsville edged Texas City by three points in the bi-district round and soundly defeated Austin LBJ by 26 points in the area round. PNG and Huntsville played each other in non-district games in 2018 and 2019 with the Hornets winning both times. The winner of this contest will play Liberty Hill (9-4) or Pieper (12-1). Those teams will clash for the Region IV title Friday in San Marcos. — Rob Tate
ADVERTISEMENT
Article continues below this ad

Jon’s prediction: PNG 31, Huntsville 14
Rob’s prediction: PNG 34, Huntsville 21

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
From HoustonChronicle.com article.

“We have to stop the run. I’ve seen the film, and they’ve got a good offensive line. They’re similar to Lake Creek in the run game, but we’ve not seen an offensive line this big the entire season.”
-- Huntsville LB Shiloh Jones

Jones and the Hornet defensive crew will have to find a way to slow the Indians’ punishing ground attack while the Huntsville offense will have an equally difficult task against a stout PN-G defense.

“We’re not going to light the scoreboard up offensively but we can run the ball and we’re playing really good defense.” -- Huntsville Head Coach Rodney Southern

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Predictions from the Houston Chronicle:

Port Neches-Groves (12-1) vs. Huntsville (8-5) | Region III-5A Division II final
7 p.m. Friday at NRG Stadium
The Hornets have been one of the surprise teams of the Class 5A playoffs after going 5-5 and finishing third in their district during the regular season. They will meet their greatest challenge to date against No. 3 state-ranked Port Neches-Groves, which knocked off No. 1 Lake Creek last week. The Indians are in the regional championship for the second straight year and third time in program history. PNG knocked off Fort Bend Marshall at this juncture a year ago to reach the state semifinals. The Indians have won 23 of their last 25 games, the only losses coming in last year’s state final against South Oak Cliff and Week 1 this season against Port Arthur Memorial. PNG’s defense has improved from last year. The Indians are allowing 15.4 points per game, compared to 21.1 last season. Huntsville, which made the playoffs last year despite a sub-.500 record, is playing in the regional championship for the first time since 2018. The Hornets were 1-3 to begin this season and lost to Lake Creek and Randle in district play. Huntsville bounced back last week to defeat Randle 14-13 in the second meeting. Huntsville edged Texas City by three points in the bi-district round and soundly defeated Austin LBJ by 26 points in the area round. PNG and Huntsville played each other in non-district games in 2018 and 2019 with the Hornets winning both times. The winner of this contest will play Liberty Hill (9-4) or Pieper (12-1). Those teams will clash for the Region IV title Friday in San Marcos. — Rob Tate
ADVERTISEMENT
Article continues below this ad

Jon’s prediction: PNG 31, Huntsville 14
Rob’s prediction: PNG 34, Huntsville 21
Nice write up but he's wrong on one point. This is the 12th time that PN-G has been to the quarterfinal round. And when the Indians make it this deep, they usually win this round. Winners in 9 out of 12 QF games.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson.

Play PN-G straight up, the Indians will run, run, and run some more. Drop eight or nine in the box and play the WRs man-to-man, and the Indians will sling the ball around and usually go up top with the long ball. Blitz Connor Bailey, and he has played enough football to extend the play and find the open spot to throw the ball. On the flip side, PN-G can stop the run and the pass defense has gotten better each week. Anyway you slice it, the Indians will be a tough out...all the way to AT&T.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
In addition to the power run game with backs that can outrun defenders, the accurate long ball to Nunley, Washington, Adams and others, Shea Adams going across the middle like a TE is now a powerful weapon.

Huntsville will need to take risks on offense and defense to try and grab momentum. Status quo will result in a long night for the Hornets.

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
AAAAND we’ve maybe showed 1/10th of our offensive playbook
More (different) passes than runs we’ve shown
BUT I personally haven’t seen any wrinkles off of the Deep Adams set other than straight run
Also deep Isaiah we have basically run the inside toss (looks like a toss sweep but is off tackle -we have run the H back fumbleroosky but that’s about it
The rest is for the finals I believe
This coach isn’t playing for deep runs in the playoffs he’s playing for the ring
I think he’d just as soon lose in a last minute drive to Lake Creek as lose to Brenham in the first round. He wants to win it all. (Everyone wants to but I believe sometimes coaches pull the “look what we can do” when it’s not necessary)

We have jet sweeps, passes, etc coming off of that which they can only dream up in practice and scouting
They don’t have it on film

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores