NEXT GAME: PNG (12-1) vs Huntsville Hornets (8-5)

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
There’s still something to say for what Darryl Royal once said.

“Dance with the one who brung ya.” and “Old ugly is better than old nothin'”.

bandkid

Staff member
AAAAND we’ve maybe showed 1/10th of our offensive playbook
More (different) passes than runs we’ve shown
BUT I personally haven’t seen any wrinkles off of the Deep Adams set other than straight run
Also deep Isaiah we have basically run the inside toss (looks like a toss sweep but is off tackle -we have run the H back fumbleroosky but that’s about it
The rest is for the finals I believe
This coach isn’t playing for deep runs in the playoffs he’s playing for the ring
I think he’d just as soon lose in a last minute drive to Lake Creek as lose to Brenham in the first round. He wants to win it all. (Everyone wants to but I believe sometimes coaches pull the “look what we can do” when it’s not necessary)

We have jet sweeps, passes, etc coming off of that which they can only dream up in practice and scouting
They don’t have it on film
This point doesn't get enough attention, in my opinion.

And we don't need to show more of our playbook until we really need to show more of our playbook, if you get my drift.

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
This point doesn't get enough attention, in my opinion.

And we don't need to show more of our playbook until we really need to show more of our playbook, if you get my drift.
“Two score mentality” if we’re 2 scores. Up

Or up for that matter according to the LC game
We ground and pound
And I love it

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
Nice write up but he's wrong on one point. This is the 12th time that PN-G has been to the quarterfinal round. And when the Indians make it this deep, they usually win this round. Winners in 9 out of 12 QF games.

Pretty glaring error on the part of the Chronicle.

100+ Posts
We've got our tickets. I dislike Ticketmaster. Hopefully we'll be able to get into the game, if I download the correct app, be able to log into the TM site (along with 15000 other people), then access the "special" app that I received an email about this afternoon, and by that time my phone battery doesn't die. They don't make this easy, and I'm tempted to go ahead and just go straight to the gate and pay for another ticket when I get there. Go Indians!
I've received 3 emails so far from Ticketmaster, with various directions for displaying our tickets. Questions for anyone here that's familiar with Ticketmaster. Is their app required? Is digital wallet required? Every layer seems to require my credit card number.
And another question. How do you pay for parking at NRG? I saw somewhere that cash is not accepted. Do you pre-pay somewhere? If so I haven't found the site yet.

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
I've received 3 emails so far from Ticketmaster, with various directions for displaying our tickets. Questions for anyone here that's familiar with Ticketmaster. Is their app required? Is digital wallet required? Every layer seems to require my credit card number.
And another question. How do you pay for parking at NRG? I saw somewhere that cash is not accepted. Do you pre-pay somewhere? If so I haven't found the site yet.

You pay at a (drive up) gate before you enter the parking lot.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
AAAAND we’ve maybe showed 1/10th of our offensive playbook
More (different) passes than runs we’ve shown
BUT I personally haven’t seen any wrinkles off of the Deep Adams set other than straight run
Also deep Isaiah we have basically run the inside toss (looks like a toss sweep but is off tackle -we have run the H back fumbleroosky but that’s about it
The rest is for the finals I believe
This coach isn’t playing for deep runs in the playoffs he’s playing for the ring
I think he’d just as soon lose in a last minute drive to Lake Creek as lose to Brenham in the first round. He wants to win it all. (Everyone wants to but I believe sometimes coaches pull the “look what we can do” when it’s not necessary)

We have jet sweeps, passes, etc coming off of that which they can only dream up in practice and scouting
They don’t have it on film
All fine if they've been practiced and can be executed to perfection. Ball control is the name of the game and turning it over and not getting first downs with high percentage plays is counter to that. Long drives also keep the defense fresher. But I agree there are probably still some high percentage plays in the book that don't go between the tackles.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
If it's no cash they'll have a credit card reader.

100+ Posts
If it's no cash they'll have a credit card reader.
yeah that's what I'm reading, cards or pre-pay only for parking, starting tomorrow.

Have you used Ticketmaster at NRG (or anywhere else) before? Are the app and Digital wallet required?

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
We've got our tickets. I dislike Ticketmaster. Hopefully we'll be able to get into the game, if I download the correct app, be able to log into the TM site (along with 15000 other people), then access the "special" app that I received an email about this afternoon, and by that time my phone battery doesn't die. They don't make this easy, and I'm tempted to go ahead and just go straight to the gate and pay for another ticket when I get there. Go Indians!
TM sux

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Nice write up but he's wrong on one point. This is the 12th time that PN-G has been to the quarterfinal round. And when the Indians make it this deep, they usually win this round. Winners in 9 out of 12 QF games.
Technically, the article may may ot be "wrong", because the playoff structure changed over the last few years. Way back the, , the didn't have "Regional 1/4 finals", etc

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
I’m not sure about this. They may have not called it a regional final but I’m pretty sure each quarterfinal was still the final game in each region of the state and could therefore be considered the regional final.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
1970 - save your digital tickets on your phone. When you get to the gate tomorrow, bring up the digital tickets on your phone and the gate attendant will scan your phone. I don't have the TM app. I download and save the tickets on my iPhone. When I get to NRG for Texans' games or Minute Maid Park for Astros' games, I pull up the tickets saved in my iPhone wallet and the ticket reader scans my phone. It's easy.

cal81

Predictions from the Houston Chronicle:

Port Neches-Groves (12-1) vs. Huntsville (8-5) | Region III-5A Division II final
7 p.m. Friday at NRG Stadium
The Hornets have been one of the surprise teams of the Class 5A playoffs after going 5-5 and finishing third in their district during the regular season. They will meet their greatest challenge to date against No. 3 state-ranked Port Neches-Groves, which knocked off No. 1 Lake Creek last week. The Indians are in the regional championship for the second straight year and third time in program history. PNG knocked off Fort Bend Marshall at this juncture a year ago to reach the state semifinals. The Indians have won 23 of their last 25 games, the only losses coming in last year’s state final against South Oak Cliff and Week 1 this season against Port Arthur Memorial. PNG’s defense has improved from last year. The Indians are allowing 15.4 points per game, compared to 21.1 last season. Huntsville, which made the playoffs last year despite a sub-.500 record, is playing in the regional championship for the first time since 2018. The Hornets were 1-3 to begin this season and lost to Lake Creek and Randle in district play. Huntsville bounced back last week to defeat Randle 14-13 in the second meeting. Huntsville edged Texas City by three points in the bi-district round and soundly defeated Austin LBJ by 26 points in the area round. PNG and Huntsville played each other in non-district games in 2018 and 2019 with the Hornets winning both times. The winner of this contest will play Liberty Hill (9-4) or Pieper (12-1). Those teams will clash for the Region IV title Friday in San Marcos. — Rob Tate
ADVERTISEMENT
Article continues below this ad

Jon’s prediction: PNG 31, Huntsville 14
Rob’s prediction: PNG 34, Huntsville 21
Very good score predictions!

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
Used to (back in the 70s) only the district winner went to the playoffs (why it’s called bi-district - used to be accurate)
Then in the 80s it became first and second place
But it’s always been 4 regions since the state championship has been a thing
Once upon a time regional was as far as you could go
(Anyone correct me if I’m wrong)

100+ Posts
Here's the flyer from 1946 that's floating around on fb tonight, courtesy of Coach McCollum's daughter. It was "Regional, Championship", as far as they could go back then. BTW, the Indians won this one, 46-0.

1701403854681.png

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Technically, the article may may not be "wrong", because the playoff structure changed over the last few years. Way back the, , the didn't have "Regional 1/4 finals", etc

Used to (back in the 70s) only the district winner went to the playoffs (why it’s called bi-district - used to be accurate)
Sounds about right. As far back as 1920, the first state championship year, bi-district, quarterfinal, semifinal and final were the established playoff rounds. The Regional round was added around 1974 and the Area round in the early 80's. Probably because of the increase in schools, classifications and sending more teams into the playoffs. There are possible variations over the years in different classifications, or historical realities that may have altered playoff schedules, but in general the sportswriter just slipped up. The final three rounds have always been quarterfinal, semifinal and final and we are in the QF round. Maybe he meant since 2000.

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts

I’m pretty sure this is correct. I remember thinking it sounded strange when they started calling it the “regional final” because they had previously always referred to the same game as the “quarterfinal.” However, regardless of what they called it that game was still the final game in each region.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (4-0)
vs.
Huntsville Hornets (3-1)

Friday, Oct. 4, 7:00PM

Huntsville ISD Stadium, Huntsville, TX

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores