PN-G 38, Fort Bend Willowridge 20

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
I really think the game vs. FBW was an outlier. Football teams at all levels have a game or two where things are just out of synch and the mojo is missing. It happens. The Indians were not far off from playing their usual game. The off-and-on swirling winds, the 1:00 p.m. Saturday start, the 2+ hour bus ride from PN-G to Ken Hall Stadium, and maybe the football gods were watching the OU v. Texas game or the Alabama v. ATM game. Who knows? I bet the Indians have a great week of practice this week and they get ready to bring their A-game to Dayton. FBW played well in spurts. Let's give them some credit. I remember two throws by the FBW QB were a hope-and-a-prayer. His other throws were good plays. What helped us in the second half was FBW played their big guys both ways to try and match up with PN-G. A couple of the FBW OL/DL guys were gassed. The Indians are fortunate that they do not have to play kids both ways. The OL/DL of PN-G can take over games when they want to. Good times at The Reservation.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Speaking for myself, I have complete confidence in the coaching and the teams’ ability to win. And believe that this team will complete district play undefeated. I also know that what I think or say has no bearing on success or failure.

The discussions about play calling are just fans being fans. The concern being that all a team can do is what we see because a good defensive team may be able to really affect the inside running. Just think of PN-G last year shutting down Liberty Hill.

And you hope to see fewer of the accurate passes being dropped by receivers. The more game reps and completions now probably means more confidence and better execution later.

But as fans we have to remind ourselves that the offensive strategy is different now than past seasons and there is reason to trust in proven coaches, extremely good linemen on offense and defense ,and some capable skill players.

Football games are won and lost in the trenches. PN-G has some intimidating and capable players on both sides of the line. Any team is going to have a tough time handling that.

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
Yes
To me it seems like we’re good with “two scores” ahead (I like it)
At that time play calling is designed to eat clock get first downs when you can
Avoiding turnovers and especially against fast and loose teams avoiding the pick 6

CS

100+ Posts
How can you tell a good team from a bad one? They have “an off day” and win 38-20.
Watched it on YouTube today and you could tell the game really was never in doubt. Not even close. You could tell who was more talented by far. Play calling- you don’t need to do too much or give away too much against a team like that. On a Saturday at 1 pm…. Just get there, do the damn thing and get home safe.
Mission accomplished.

PNG 40 - Dayton 17

NDNmom91

500+ Posts
I can see where resting certain players that are banged up makes sense. But playing to avoid injuries is often a formula that results in injuries. I’m old school when it comes to thinking about practice and game play. The theory of holding back the playbook makes sense but a team will play as it practices. It’s tough to just flip a switch and start executing new plays, or existing plays to perfection if only practiced game week. But the coaching staff knows what will work and when. No question of that.
You’re right…possibly resting some players to avoid injury or aggravating existing ones is what I meant. Of course all that is just my perspective because we seemed a bit lackluster with somewhat conservative play calling in a couple games against teams we should’ve dominated last year then brought out A game against tougher opponents and into the playoffs so just thinking some part of it could be strategy. Like I said, we’ll find out soon cause Dayton and Nederland aren’t pushovers this year.

Last edited:

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
You’re right…possibly resting some players to avoid injury or aggravating existing ones is what I meant. Of course all that is just my perspective because we seemed a bit lackluster with somewhat conservative play calling in a couple games against teams we should’ve dominated last year then brought out A game against tougher opponents and into the playoffs so just thinking some part of it could be strategy. Like I said, we’ll find out soon cause Dayton and Nederland aren’t pushovers this year.
Great observations and you very well could be right. Indians are the team to beat so both those teams will be trying their best to do it.

bandkid

Staff member
I’ve now had the chance to watch some of the highlights of the game.

At the risk of sounding like a certain late wife of a late Port Neches city councilman, I notice that PN-G wore white jerseys with purple pants. It’s been a long, long time since I’ve seen that combination. (Perhaps the early Faircloth era?) As I recall, the old timers used to say that uniform combo was bad luck for the Indians.

Maybe they were onto something?

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
I’ve now had the chance to watch some of the highlights of the game.

At the risk of sounding like a certain late wife of a late Port Neches city councilman, I notice that PN-G wore white jerseys with purple pants. It’s been a long, long time since I’ve seen that combination. (Perhaps the early Faircloth era?) As I recall, the old timers used to say that uniform combo was bad luck for the Indians.

Maybe they were onto something?
We will never forget her. You can even jump into the wayback machine here and read all her posts.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
She was something. Many many disagreements!!
Over 1500 posts over the years. The last being in 2011.

She probably felt anger towards myself and others at times, but one of her last posts confirmed that she appreciated the online community here.

And not to get off topic here, but it’s the longtime members, like you justafan, bandkid,prepballfan, png proud, 1989ndn and many long timers that have kept this alive. We are a united virtual community that cares about our hometowns/alma mater or adopted community.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Are we basing that on losing the 77 game
(Isn’t that what we wore in that game?
(From memory)
I remember the ‘77 finals in the storm trooper uniforms. Back then it was either all purple or all white. Road was white/white and white helmets. Home was purple/purple and purple helmets.

prepballfan

There's No Place Like The Reservation Friday Night
Staff member
PNG had some folks out. They played vanilla ball and took care to try and prevent injuries. They tried passing more, and I believe they will be back with full intensity this week.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (4-0)
vs.
Huntsville Hornets (3-1)

Friday, Oct. 4, 7:00PM

Huntsville ISD Stadium, Huntsville, TX

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores