PN-G @ Huntsville

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
I wonder if any underclassmen will get pulled up on defense. From what I hear we have a heck of a JV secondary right now. Granted it’s not varsity competition, but I think anything to drum up some fire under that defense would be a good thing.
Mixing in some extra speed and aggressiveness, if that’s the case, can only help. Defense and/or special teams.

4-0-Niner

Without putting too much info out in the public forum... I can confirm that we have made some positional changes on defense. No indication if they are permanent. Everything I have seen/ heard makes sense. In addition, I believe we are experimenting with some new fronts as well. Every machine needs fine tuning. I'm hoping our boys are ready to take these adjustments full throttle on Friday. I think if we can get a 3 and out or force a turnover early then that momentum can really open the flood gates for us.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
I wonder if any underclassmen will get pulled up on defense. From what I hear we have a heck of a JV secondary right now. Granted it’s not varsity competition, but I think anything to drum up some fire under that defense would be a good thing.

Find kids that will hit and wrap up. Arm tackling the RBs from LaPorte, Mongomery Lake Creek, and Huntsville will not work. In 2022 and 2023, Mason Droddy, Tyorian Hinton, Reid Richard, Chase Johnson, Max Scroggs, and Will Poole hit people. Yes, they gave up some plays. It happens. No 15-18 year old kid will be perfect and DBs can't cover people all over the field 100% of the time. But, we need a secondary that will light people up the way Reid Richard and Chase Johnson, et al. used to get people on the ground. I would not mind an old Chris Gholke 15-yard penalty for unnecessary roughness. Remember when he would run 100 mph and hammer WRs and DBs. He had zero problem hitting people violently. We need to find one of those kids--a violent playmaker.

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
The fact that Huntsville has an average offense is good news for the Hornets. Since 2018, they have had a great defense but not much offense, yet they have done quite well. Back in 2019/2020, offensive success was not fumbling and getting the punt away and let the defense work. In those two years, Crosby was the only opposing team to score 30 points.

This Hornet defense probably isn’t as good as that one, but I expect by playoffs, they will be on all cylinders. Huntsville has a good running game and they will want to continue that. They can pass if they need to, but establishing the run is what they want to do. I think PNG will have similar offensive aspirations. We will see who executes their game plan best. I can’t wait. It’s going to be a great game. It’s only October and who knows, these two teams might see each other in December for all the Region 2 marbles.
When Coach Southern’s son was the QB Huntsville wasn’t bad on Offense

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Without putting too much info out in the public forum... I can confirm that we have made some positional changes on defense. No indication if they are permanent. Everything I have seen/ heard makes sense. In addition, I believe we are experimenting with some new fronts as well. Every machine needs fine tuning. I'm hoping our boys are ready to take these adjustments full throttle on Friday. I think if we can get a 3 and out or force a turnover early then that momentum can really open the flood gates for us.
Good idea. Don’t reveal any details. But it’s not surprising, I think we all knew that this excellent defensive coaching staff, led by Coach McDaniel with further subject matter expertise of Coach Joseph who has been a DC and coached defense in college, would right the ship. There is talent on the field, and the core of last years excellent defense is there. It may just need some tweaking and more practice and preparation.

19PNGndn68

In some games last season you could practically watch the other team’s spirit break in real time. I guarantee we weren’t fun to play. Every other team was throwing it around and trying to score quickly (which basically amounts to a rest play for half the defense) and we said “we’re going to run the same play we did last time, we’re going to hit you with all 11 guys, it’s going to hurt, we don’t care if you stack the box, we’re not going to do you any favors by throwing incompletions and stopping the clock, and we’re going to move the ball anyway.” That stubbornness is why Shea Adams was able to run that td in for the state championship - SOC had to stack the interior because we had proven we were crazy enough to run up the middle again, and because we had proven we could succeed at it. So, SOC left the entire outside wide open.
I greatly appreciate all the positive encouraging comments. My comments were intended only to defend our student athletes on defense this year. Thankfully there were only a very few very harsh comments posted in the past about our young boys on defense and the KO team in the heat of the after game moment. Please delete. PNG nation lives to support all of our students regardless of the activity.
Food for thought
Our returning #43 MLB was out for the first three games and was trying to play his way back into football shape in the fourth game. Therefore, We have seven new players on defense that are being asked to play a lot of minutes.
This year’s young PNG defense has played up against 6AD and 5AD1 multiple outstanding RBs and dual threat QBs. In preseason we are not trying to win the local 4AD crown.
Even the Klein Oak sophomore RB that PNG faced is now receiving D1 college offers after breaking out and beating the District favorite Klein Cain.
If you know how to coach “speed” please write a best seller book. Some great coach once said fatigue makes cowards of us all. Sometimes you have to pass on fourth down at your own 30 yard line to try to keep your offense going on the field and give your defense a breather. Thanks for all the love and support from PNG Indian Nation. Who are we? PNG!!!

Rez

I greatly appreciate all the positive encouraging comments. My comments were intended only to defend our student athletes on defense this year. Thankfully there were only a very few very harsh comments posted in the past about our young boys on defense and the KO team in the heat of the after game moment. Please delete. PNG nation lives to support all of our students regardless of the activity.
Food for thought
Our returning #43 MLB was out for the first three games and was trying to play his way back into football shape in the fourth game. Therefore, We have seven new players on defense that are being asked to play a lot of minutes.
This year’s young PNG defense has played up against 6AD and 5AD1 multiple outstanding RBs and dual threat QBs. In preseason we are not trying to win the local 4AD crown.
Even the Klein Oak sophomore RB that PNG faced is now receiving D1 college offers after breaking out and beating the District favorite Klein Cain.
If you know how to coach “speed” please write a best seller book. Some great coach once said fatigue makes cowards of us all. Sometimes you have to pass on fourth down at your own 30 yard line to try to keep your offense going on the field and give your defense a breather. Thanks for all the love and support from PNG Indian Nation. Who are we? PNG!!!
We look slow, but after skimming a few defensive series from La Porte and LC, I don’t think we’re much slower than last year on defense. The biggest difference is we’ve been making decisions more slowly. Against LC and La Porte, when we read the play and got moving, we were there to make a play. On our worst plays, it wasn’t so much about being slow or tackling poorly as it was having the wrong angles and reacting late. Those are mental things that I’m hopeful can be corrected. I do want to see us get more aggressive and physical, but when we read the play and make contact we’ve been able to bring the runners down. Number 2 had a really good solo tackle in the 2nd half last week that happened because on that play he reacted decisively, and there were a few other good plays like that. I think they’ve just been slow to really understand what coach is teaching them. Like you said, we’ve got practically a new defense. Hopefully we take a step forward on that this week.

A rough week defensively came with big decisions for the Indians coaches. An amazing run game last week for Lake Creek tore us apart, and Huntsville will look to do the exact same. But some new "experiments" on the defensive side of the ball for game 5 will be interesting to see.
#4 Mason Wuenschel (OLB) will be getting more looks at MLB this week, and will be dominant with #43 Isaac Uriostegi and/or #35 Jaxon Winfrey by his side. #10 Travis Cobb will make the switch from Safety to OLB to take over for Wuenschel. With Cobb at OLB, #5 Dane Stewart (Junior) will step into the starting safety spot for his time in his high school career. With the MLB spot getting a little crowded, Junior MLB #45 Kooper Beniot got switched to D-Line after not seeing much action in last weeks matchup.
Some important but maybe key changes for Indians as they look for a dominant win vs a tough Huntsville team. If your staying home tomorrow night or hanging out with friends and family I hope you tune into to NDN Press on YouTube to catch the game live. SCALP EM

-Kaiden Lunceford (NDN Press)

19PNGndn68

Tickets can be purchased for either side…you just won’t be allowed to sit on the Home side if you have a Visitor ticket and vice versa.
On the Huntsville HS network posted by a PNG fan, the Huntsville ISD superintendent was pleading for Hornet Fans to buy up the home side tickets. He stated that all unsold tickets on Friday morning on either side will be available to the public on first come basis. No repeat of Liberty Hill paranoia.
Monday morning I could not wait for the 8AM start time for visitor’s ticket sale. As a Houston zip code resident I now have one reserved Hornet ticket that I will be giving away before the game to a courageous fanatic PNG fan. I have my PNG Visitor ticket. Did not want to risk s PNG assault on the Site crashing it. I recall how PNG remote fans across the nation and out of the country last year “crashed” the PNG NDN Press site each time it tried to reboot the Nederland game live. What a fan base. Who are We? PNG!!!

Eazy Money

The home side is never full, so they probably are pleading to them. The fan base isn’t quite like PNG’s. Some may not actually know it’s a big game. Plus, they are spoiled because you can just watch the broadcast at home now.

NDNmom91

500+ Posts
The home side is never full, so they probably are pleading to them. The fan base isn’t quite like PNG’s. Some may not actually know it’s a big game. Plus, they are spoiled because you can just watch the broadcast at home now.
I don’t think ANYONE’S fan base is like PNG…lol! However, Huntsville’s Superintendent is a PNG grad, former band kid and Asst Band Director for a bit after college so I can ASSURE you they’ve been informed that this is a big game! :p

PNG NDN Fan

1,000+ Posts
Staff member
On the Huntsville HS network posted by a PNG fan, the Huntsville ISD superintendent was pleading for Hornet Fans to buy up the home side tickets. He stated that all unsold tickets on Friday morning on either side will be available to the public on first come basis. No repeat of Liberty Hill paranoia.
Monday morning I could not wait for the 8AM start time for visitor’s ticket sale. As a Houston zip code resident I now have one reserved Hornet ticket that I will be giving away before the game to a courageous fanatic PNG fan. I have my PNG Visitor ticket. Did not want to risk s PNG assault on the Site crashing it. I recall how PNG remote fans across the nation and out of the country last year “crashed” the PNG NDN Press site each time it tried to reboot the Nederland game live. What a fan base. Who are We? PNG!!!
The HISD superintendent is a PN-G grad, c/o 1983

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (4-0)
vs.
Huntsville Hornets (3-1)

Friday, Oct. 4, 7:00PM

Huntsville ISD Stadium, Huntsville, TX

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores