PN-G Indians 42, Liberty Hill Panthers 35

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
The pooch kick does 2 things
1) Keeps the ball out of the hands of the big returner
2) Puts the ball into the hands that aren't as used to handling it, resulting in fumbles many times.

I understand the strategy. I just don’t agree with the strategy and therefore don’t understand why anyone would use it: (1) IMO unless you have a poor kick coverage team or are facing a super stellar kick returner, you are sacrificing too much field position to avoid “the big return.” Sure, the other team could run it back for a TD, but more often that not the pooch kick GUARANTEES they will get the ball with very good field position, often the 40 yard line or beyond. Additionally, kicking the ball out of the end zone also keeps the ball out if the hands of “the big returner,” and I have seen some teams use the pooch kick repeatedly in spite of the fact that they have a kicker that is capable of kicking it out of the end zone virtually every time (2) It may increase the chances of them fumbling the ball, but IMO the odds of a fumble are too low to justify the loss of field position that typically results from a pooch kick. IMO if you have decent kick coverage a squib kick generally serves the same purpose at a lower cost in terms of field position. To me, much more often than not, all a pooch kick accomplishes is to give your opponent good field position.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Another high blood pressure game. Mine was up, way up, but then the winning sounds of Cherokee and the War Chant always bring those sky high heart attack numbers back down. Tip of the cap to the LH special teams coach and players for the fake punt/88 yard TD and the attempted fake punt hiding the WR on the sideline. LH #7 ran hard. To me, he was a much better RB than #21, which everyone was worried about. #21 wanted no part of the Indian defense hammering him on most runs. Whereas, #7 welcomed the contact, ran through some of the PN-G tackles, and he got a lot of yards after contact. Good game LH. Let's talk about those great PN-G Indians. Yes, we made some mistakes and gave up some big plays, but these Indians don't get down. They go on to the next play and keep fighting. Loved the running by #15 and #33. Can't say enough about #9. He's a calm dude under pressure and he made a lot of great throws. We had some drops, but it happens. These are still 15-18 year old kids. When the play was there to make, the PN-G Indians made them. Great job. The OL created some run lanes, protected #9, and make no mistake, the Indians have some leaders on that OL. They lead the way for the run game and passing game. The score does not reflect how good our defense played 99% of the game. That LH slot T is a handful. Our kids had big enough hands (and hearts) to make the plays they had to make. Love those 11 kids on defense. They just keep coming. Knock'em down, they get up and keep fighting. You might get some big plays, but our kids scrappy and they will give us a chance to win the game. In case anyone's keeping track...that's 14 in a row in 2023. Keep it rolling Indians. I believe in these coaches and kids. Come next Saturday, we are going to win the 5A D2 state championship. I'll be there to see it. Go Indians.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
And...one more great thing about last night's semifinals win, I got see IndianFan and PN-GProud at the game. Always nice to see the people who make the PN-G website and this message board the best there is. Those two gentlemen exemplify PN-G's core values of Honor, Pride, and Tradition. The crowd last night was awesome. After that final onside kick recovery, section BB in the upper deck broke out with Let's Go to Buc-ees! And, there were some older adults (my age, maybe a little older) leading the entire section in "Defense" chats. It was awesome. Last thing, good job Cy Fair ISD...nice job spending those tax dollars on the stadium. It was beautiful. Might want to hire more staff to work the gates and directing exit traffic after the game. Just a thought.

bandkid

Staff member
And...one more great thing about last night's semifinals win, I got see IndianFan and PN-GProud at the game. Always nice to see the people who make the PN-G website and this message board the best there is. Those two gentlemen exemplify PN-G's core values of Honor, Pride, and Tradition. The crowd last night was awesome. After that final onside kick recovery, section BB in the upper deck broke out with Let's Go to Buc-ees! And, there were some older adults (my age, maybe a little older) leading the entire section in "Defense" chats. It was awesome. Last thing, good job Cy Fair ISD...nice job spending those tax dollars on the stadium. It was beautiful. Might want to hire more staff to work the gates and directing exit traffic after the game. Just a thought.
I was in the first row of Section CC right next door. Saw PNGProud from a distance walking into the stadium but never caught up with him. Wish I’d have known about the pngindians.com conference going on a few rows over! :D

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Last night was the most electric atmosphere at a PNG game I have been to in a long time. Lets add to it next week.
I saw PN-G play Texas City, Fort Bend Willowridge, Dayton, Rouse, Montgomery Lake Creek, Huntsville, and Liberty Hill. Last night's crowd was by far the best crowd of the season. Not just numbers, but a loud crowd that was into the game. Section BB was loud. Cherokee and the War Chant had everyone standing and it was loud. Not everyone was in rhythm with the tomahawk chop, but everyone was doing it. Section BB had two older guys leading the chants of D-E-F-E-N-S-E. I don't know how many total PN-G fans were at the game last night, but it was loud. I'd love to see that at AT&T next week.

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member

Thanks for the kind words. I was great to see you again, and to meet your daughter. It was especially nice to FINALLY meet IndianFan, after 10-15 yrs. of chatting! Made my day!

Last edited:

NDNTime

1,000+ Posts
I was in the first row of Section CC right next door. Saw PNGProud from a distance walking into the stadium but never caught up with him. Wish I’d have known about the pngindians.com conference going on a few rows over! :D
Also in CC but about 5 rows from top. Made sure to tell the ppl behind me that I’d be standing A LOT so be prepared to join!

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts

Just watch the replay of the NDN press broadcast of the LH game, which can be accessed from the same link as the original broadcast. It starts about 30 minutes prior to the game itself. The only slightly tricky thing is that there are several icons corresponding to the game on twitch, with all of them labeled “test broadcast.” The time for some of them was about three and a half hours so I knew they were probably videos of the game. I just picked the most recent one and it was the game. Other ones might also work but I only tried the most recent one. I saw the game via the live NDN press broadcast but went back after the game to rewatch it.

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
Just watch the replay of the NDN press broadcast of the LH game, which can be accessed from the same link as the original broadcast. It starts about 30 minutes prior to the game itself. The only slightly tricky thing is that there are several icons corresponding to the game on twitch, with all of them labeled “test broadcast.” The time for some of them was about three and a half hours so I knew they were probably videos of the game. I just picked the most recent one and it was the game. Other ones might also work but I only tried the most recent one. I saw the game via the live NDN press broadcast but went back after the game to rewatch it.

They have since relabeled the game “past broadcast.”

1310TheTicket

To me, much more often than not, all a pooch kick accomplishes is to give your opponent good field position.
Agree 100% Have always hated that. We had, what, 2 last night? 1 resulting in a kick out of bounds. Another they got the ball near the 40. I'd rather see a line-drive squib kick than a pooch.

WarDance

I saw PN-G play Texas City, Fort Bend Willowridge, Dayton, Rouse, Montgomery Lake Creek, Huntsville, and Liberty Hill. Last night's crowd was by far the best crowd of the season. Not just numbers, but a loud crowd that was into the game. Section BB was loud. Cherokee and the War Chant had everyone standing and it was loud. Not everyone was in rhythm with the tomahawk chop, but everyone was doing it. Section BB had two older guys leading the chants of D-E-F-E-N-S-E. I don't know how many total PN-G fans were at the game last night, but it was loud. I'd love to see that at AT&T next week.
I totally agree! We were rocking the house. I know that I was yelling half the game and was hoarse this morning. No worries about that as I will be good to go for AT&T!

NDNmom91

500+ Posts
I totally agree! We were rocking the house. I know that I was yelling half the game and was hoarse this morning. No worries about that as I will be good to go for AT&T!
The crowd has been GREAT for the playoffs….last night was EPIC!! Right now my MVP’s are Back ‘em Up Bob, Headdress guy and the Tambourine Tribe…lol!

100+ Posts
I scrolled through all the way to the ~4.24 mark, just to hear what the young man NDN Press play by play announcer had to say about LH's Jack Pitchford when he illegally stepped from the sideline onto the field to catch the punt. I really enjoy the broadcast, they do such a great job. Right now it's questionable whether we'll be able to travel to Dallas. I hope NDN Press will be able to broadcast.

WRT the game, the score was waaay much closer than it should have been. And for the life of me, I still swear that the refs just randomly and indiscriminately take a notion and throw a flag for holding. There's holding going on pretty much every play. Sometimes I think they decide before the play ... "ok, on this next play I'm gonna call holding". Geez.

prepballfan

There's No Place Like The Reservation Friday Night
Staff member
I scrolled through all the way to the ~4.24 mark, just to hear what the young man NDN Press play by play announcer had to say about LH's Jack Pitchford when he illegally stepped from the sideline onto the field to catch the punt. I really enjoy the broadcast, they do such a great job. Right now it's questionable whether we'll be able to travel to Dallas. I hope NDN Press will be able to broadcast.

WRT the game, the score was waaay much closer than it should have been. And for the life of me, I still swear that the refs just randomly and indiscriminately take a notion and throw a flag for holding. There's holding going on pretty much every play. Sometimes I think they decide before the play ... "ok, on this next play I'm gonna call holding". Geez.
I watched on one play were the LH RB ran through the line our LB went to grab him for the tackle and he himself was grabbed from behind and tackled. The ref was right there and didnt pull his flag.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (0-0)
at
Klein Oak Panthers (0-0)

Friday, Aug. 30, 7:00PM

Klein Memorial Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores