PN-G vs WO-S: Official Game Thread

bandkid

Staff member
We now have a thorough overview of what we need to work on. Remove the penalties, and I honestly think this would have been a closer game. Indians shot themselves in the foot early on - seven penalties just in the first half - and never recovered. I think we now know that Walker needs more experience, whether it comes from the JV or varsity levels, but he didn't do a bad job considering that this was his first time to play varsity and the defense he was going up against. AJ also did well tonight, all things considered. Offense needs to work on accuracy and holding onto the ball, and develop some sort of running game. Defense showed signs of improvement after adjustments in the second half. All in all, there's a lot of work to be done in the coming weeks.

The difference in talent definitely showed tonight. Have to give all the credit to WO-S - they played a heck of game. Congratulations, Mustangs, and good luck this year.

Justafan

2,000+ Posts
I'll be at every game, but there is no other way to put it other than we're just bad...No way around it. The ONLY bright spot and its not much is the run defense. Fundamentally we're bad and penalties are killing us. I've said this many times the past 2 years, WE CANNOT TACKLE IN THE OPEN FIELD AND OUR DEFENSIVE BACKS GIVE RECEIVERS A 10 YR CUSTON!!! Offensively we are way too slow!!!!!

And Bamakid, this game was no where close!!! We got our rears handed too us and could've been alot worse.

I hope the coaches and players review this game film and try to figure out what they need to do.

NDNTime

1,000+ Posts
Justafan said:
I'll be at every game, but there is no other way to put it other than we're just bad...No way around it. The ONLY bright spot and its not much is the run defense. Fundamentally we're bad and penalties are killing us. I've said this many times the past 2 years, WE CANNOT TACKLE IN THE OPEN FIELD AND OUR DEFENSIVE BACKS GIVE RECEIVERS A 10 YR CUSTON!!! Offensively we are way too slow!!!!!

And Bamakid, this game was no where close!!! We got our rears handed too us and could've been alot worse.

I hope the coaches and players review this game film and try to figure out what they need to do.

You are right Justafan. I heard the same game you watched. We were beat up and down the field. On offense and defense. When we play teams with just a marginal passing game, we will be in for a long night.

hookem14

100+ Posts
There are absolutely things we will need to improve on, on both sides of the ball, but realise this, we will not face another team in our district with as much talent as WO-S....NOT EVEN CLOSE!!!

akifan94

500+ Posts
Justafan said:

Exactly. 10 yards is generous. At one point in the 3rd Dalton Peveto was playing man coverage with a 15 yard cushion and no help. Our run defense played well but not great. The DB's need to quit worrying about bumping butts in the endzone, running their mouths after every tackle, and cover someone / tackle. We have a big line and fast running back but when nobody respects your ability to throw the ball you will see run blitzes all game long.

pngbax20

100+ Posts
"There are absolutely things we will need to improve on, on both sides of the ball, but realise this, we will not face another team in our district with as much talent as WO-S....NOT EVEN CLOSE!!!"

Sorry to say it but Nederland's D is that good

Justafan

2,000+ Posts
Agreed Akifan94, not going to mention names but we have a couple players on defense who need to just keep their mouths shut because they sure ain't backing it up!!

hookem14

100+ Posts
PNGBax20 said:
"There are absolutely things we will need to improve on, on both sides of the ball, but realise this, we will not face another team in our district with as much talent as WO-S....NOT EVEN CLOSE!!!"

Nederlands D is good, there is no way to dispute that, all those returning starters, they will be a force, no doubt. But actual talent, NOT EVEN CLOSE. By the way, we'll see how many of those Nederland D guys play college ball. A good friend of mine has a son that is on that starting Nederland D and we discussed it today at work, and even he agreed with me on the talent level at WO-S.

akifan94

500+ Posts
hookem14 said:
PNGBax20 said:

Nederlands D is good, there is no way to dispute that, all those returning starters, they will be a force, no doubt. But actual talent, NOT EVEN CLOSE. By the way, we'll see how many of those Nederland D guys play college ball. A good friend of mine has a son that is on that starting Nederland D and we discussed it today at work, and even he agreed with me on the talent level at WO-S.

Nederlands defense will be better due to there ability to shut down the run. With any passing threat at all we could have ran all over WO-S. Ned will not be so nice sadly.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Can anyone summarize, in a positive way, what is lacking in the passing and running game? Or is it a matter of just needing time to improve? Playing against a top notch pass defense tonight didn't help either.

pngbax20

100+ Posts
IndianFan said:
Can anyone summarize, in a positive way, what is lacking in the passing and running game? Or is it a matter of just needing time to improve? Playing against a top notch pass defense tonight didn't help either.

Speed

hookem14

100+ Posts
PNGBax20 said:
IndianFan said:

Speed
Bingo...When the difference in their fastest player and their 15th fastest player is barely even noticeable, and the difference between our fastest guy and our 15th fastest guy is pretty substantial, that's your answer.

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
The O Line doesn't seem to be opening any holes, at least not long enough for a runner. They protected pretty good early on, but WOS smelled blood and they were smothering the qb's.

AJ still throwing rainbows. That has GOT to stop.

We dropped MULTIPLE passes, both on O & D.

Very sloppy play tonight.

badndn

500+ Posts
I didn't see a lot of drops tonight! What I saw was a bunch of poorly thrown balls, be it high, low, behind the receiver, way out in front, that our WRs made some very good attempts to catch, but couldn't come up with.

Walker only threw one pass that I can remember. Spent most of the night running for his life. WOS is fast this year!!! This may be the WOS team that finally wins that 3A state title. They gotta stay healthy and get better against the run. Thought had we run the ball more this could've been a closer game.

wacape

100+ Posts
Just as I thought. I was concerned about WOS' speed in an earlier post and my fears were confirmed. Not playing A.J. enough last year is biting BF in the ass this year. A.J.'s having to learn on the fly just like last year's QB. Now I see in the paper that Smith and Walker will share time against Summer Creek. Faircloth is giving Ky the reps that A.J. didn't get last year. Womack by himself is not gonna get the job done. He showed flashes of his speed last night but he doesn't have Bertrand size. Surely, there are some RB's on the JV that have a bit more "beef". Clopton should get a "look see" at RB as well. We're up the creek right now because we have no passing or running game. Hopefully, things will turn around by the time we get into district play. ???

akifan94

500+ Posts
You don't have to have the fastest players to succeed. That has been proven every year. The problem is execution and scheme.

On offense we are running some very basic pass routes. I would think we ran maybe 4 different route combinations last night. People can say we are keeping it simple and the play book expands every week but the bottom line is if you cannot execute the basics of the offense then you cannot put more in. AJ had some flashes but he made no reads last night. He picked someone and they were getting the ball thrown in their general direction whether it was an interception into triple coverage or a sideline go route overthrown by 10 yards. Walker did not fair much better but he did not get too many chances either. I think they both can succeed but need more reps. With a team like WOS you have to beat them with scheme, misdirection, and throwing people open. Outside a few successful misdirection runs we tried to beat them with one on ones and vanilla game planning.

On defense we played the run well and got to the QB when we did blitz. The biggest problem on defense is giving up big chunks playing a soft zone and missed tackles.

Penalties hurt also. We must have had at least 10 if not more. One delay of game came after a timeout while another came after the end of the quarter. That is inexcusable.

To me it all comes down to building confidence. That is what non-district is for. Finding what works and getting good at it. So far that is not happening.

pngfan66

500+ Posts
Well. Hard to garner the positives. Here is my shot. We scored 2 times on a awesome defense. Great return by Clark. Womack did run better in this game. Clopton is a good player to pass to. Run defense between the tackles is good. We know penalties kill good drives. I think penalties hurt us on 2 drives when we were in good field position. #33 is a beast on our defense. We know the soft zone coverage killed us between our defenders.
Team got to play against one of the best defense's around. Maybe wos speed picked up the tempo for our o line some. O line played a good game. Opened some good holes and pass blocked decent. Wos blitz's hurt us on pass plays. Like faircloth said in paper this is a good game for the team. I'm not going to go to negative about the game. Oh. Also. These refs had a hard time calling penalties that were obvious against wos. Holding , facemask, taunting, and I saw one of their players shove AJ's head in the ground after a.play.
This game was good for the team because of wos speed. Let's hope it helps our boys get better.

hookem14

100+ Posts
akifan94 said:
You don't have to have the fastest players to succeed. That has been proven every year. The problem is execution and scheme.

On offense we are running some very basic pass routes. I would think we ran maybe 4 different route combinations last night. People can say we are keeping it simple and the play book expands every week but the bottom line is if you cannot execute the basics of the offense then you cannot put more in. AJ had some flashes but he made no reads last night. He picked someone and they were getting the ball thrown in their general direction whether it was an interception into triple coverage or a sideline go route overthrown by 10 yards. Walker did not fair much better but he did not get too many chances either. I think they both can succeed but need more reps. With a team like WOS you have to beat them with scheme, misdirection, and throwing people open. Outside a few successful misdirection runs we tried to beat them with one on ones and vanilla game planning.

On defense we played the run well and got to the QB when we did blitz. The biggest problem on defense is giving up big chunks playing a soft zone and missed tackles.

Penalties hurt also. We must have had at least 10 if not more. One delay of game came after a timeout while another came after the end of the quarter. That is inexcusable.

To me it all comes down to building confidence. That is what non-district is for. Finding what works and getting good at it. So far that is not happening.
You are correct, execution and scheme can overcome faster players, but last night wasn’t about overcoming just a few faster players, which I agree, can be done. Last night was about overcoming a team with much more OVERALL team speed, and that is extremely difficult to do. We were not about to overcome that much of a discrepancy in overall team speed. That speed also had a hand in some of our penalties, for example, a few of our illegal procedure penalties were due to lineman flinching trying to get a slight jump on the snap to get a block on a D-lineman or blitzing linebacker that had a huge speed advantage. Should our lineman be more disciplined and not jump early, sure. But just knowing the tremendous speed advantage has him moving early because he doesn’t want to get either his QB or RB killed. Speed kills in many ways. But like I said before, we won’t see a team with that much overall team speed in our district, maybe some players here and there just as fast as WO-S’s fastest guys, but not overall.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores