PN-G vs WO-S: Official Game Thread

pngfan66

500+ Posts
hookem14 said:
akifan94 said:
You don't have to have the fastest players to succeed. That has been proven every year. The problem is execution and scheme.

On offense we are running some very basic pass routes. I would think we ran maybe 4 different route combinations last night. People can say we are keeping it simple and the play book expands every week but the bottom line is if you cannot execute the basics of the offense then you cannot put more in. AJ had some flashes but he made no reads last night. He picked someone and they were getting the ball thrown in their general direction whether it was an interception into triple coverage or a sideline go route overthrown by 10 yards. Walker did not fair much better but he did not get too many chances either. I think they both can succeed but need more reps. With a team like WOS you have to beat them with scheme, misdirection, and throwing people open. Outside a few successful misdirection runs we tried to beat them with one on ones and vanilla game planning.

On defense we played the run well and got to the QB when we did blitz. The biggest problem on defense is giving up big chunks playing a soft zone and missed tackles.

Penalties hurt also. We must have had at least 10 if not more. One delay of game came after a timeout while another came after the end of the quarter. That is inexcusable.

To me it all comes down to building confidence. That is what non-district is for. Finding what works and getting good at it. So far that is not happening.
You are correct, execution and scheme can overcome faster players, but last night wasn’t about overcoming just a few faster players, which I agree, can be done. Last night was about overcoming a team with much more OVERALL team speed, and that is extremely difficult to do. We were not about to overcome that much of a discrepancy in overall team speed. That speed also had a hand in some of our penalties, for example, a few of our illegal procedure penalties were due to lineman flinching trying to get a slight jump on the snap to get a block on a D-lineman or blitzing linebacker that had a huge speed advantage. Should our lineman be more disciplined and not jump early, sure. But just knowing the tremendous speed advantage has him moving early because he doesn’t want to get either his QB or RB killed. Speed kills in many ways. But like I said before, we won’t see a team with that much overall team speed in our district, maybe some players here and there just as fast as WO-S’s fastest guys, but not overall.
True about WOS speed. Next week Summer Creek has alot of speed as well. They have a very good QB.
Ozen and Central have speed, but not the entire team. This game could have been closer if the penalites had not killed us. Also there were way to many penalities that should have been called on WOS that didn't get called. Off sides several times, and lining up in the neutral zone. But nothing can be done about it now. Lots more work for this team, but the coaches know that. BF probably stayed with his Offensive play calling for this game to continue to work on things. He isn't going to show his hand before district. Like I said previously, this game was good for the team overall. I hope it brought their tempo up and helped to make them better overall.
Also, who knows, the D could change up some in scheme. Don't know I'm not the coach. But unfortunately I have to agree that the soft zone coverage killed us. They were throwing between the zone coverages. This is a very good learning experience for the players. This team will mesh more and get alot better. I have faith in the team and the coaches. The O line meshed well last night. They did give our QB better time to throw than in the Silsbee game. AJ was able to sit in the pocket alittle more. I have to give credit to WOS. They are a very good team with great talent and speed. I hope they go far this year. Their D is very talented. I don't think we will go up against another D as good as this one on a overall basis. Ned has a great D line, but WOS has a great D all over.
Take what we can and learn and get better from this game. I am proud that the team didn't give up in this game. A few changes in penalites and a few more caught passes and we would have been in this game.

hookem14

100+ Posts
pngfan66 said:
hookem14 said:
akifan94 said:
You don't have to have the fastest players to succeed. That has been proven every year. The problem is execution and scheme.

On offense we are running some very basic pass routes. I would think we ran maybe 4 different route combinations last night. People can say we are keeping it simple and the play book expands every week but the bottom line is if you cannot execute the basics of the offense then you cannot put more in. AJ had some flashes but he made no reads last night. He picked someone and they were getting the ball thrown in their general direction whether it was an interception into triple coverage or a sideline go route overthrown by 10 yards. Walker did not fair much better but he did not get too many chances either. I think they both can succeed but need more reps. With a team like WOS you have to beat them with scheme, misdirection, and throwing people open. Outside a few successful misdirection runs we tried to beat them with one on ones and vanilla game planning.

On defense we played the run well and got to the QB when we did blitz. The biggest problem on defense is giving up big chunks playing a soft zone and missed tackles.

Penalties hurt also. We must have had at least 10 if not more. One delay of game came after a timeout while another came after the end of the quarter. That is inexcusable.

To me it all comes down to building confidence. That is what non-district is for. Finding what works and getting good at it. So far that is not happening.
You are correct, execution and scheme can overcome faster players, but last night wasn’t about overcoming just a few faster players, which I agree, can be done. Last night was about overcoming a team with much more OVERALL team speed, and that is extremely difficult to do. We were not about to overcome that much of a discrepancy in overall team speed. That speed also had a hand in some of our penalties, for example, a few of our illegal procedure penalties were due to lineman flinching trying to get a slight jump on the snap to get a block on a D-lineman or blitzing linebacker that had a huge speed advantage. Should our lineman be more disciplined and not jump early, sure. But just knowing the tremendous speed advantage has him moving early because he doesn’t want to get either his QB or RB killed. Speed kills in many ways. But like I said before, we won’t see a team with that much overall team speed in our district, maybe some players here and there just as fast as WO-S’s fastest guys, but not overall.
True about WOS speed. Next week Summer Creek has alot of speed as well. They have a very good QB.
Ozen and Central have speed, but not the entire team. This game could have been closer if the penalites had not killed us. Also there were way to many penalities that should have been called on WOS that didn't get called. Off sides several times, and lining up in the neutral zone. But nothing can be done about it now. Lots more work for this team, but the coaches know that. BF probably stayed with his Offensive play calling for this game to continue to work on things. He isn't going to show his hand before district. Like I said previously, this game was good for the team overall. I hope it brought their tempo up and helped to make them better overall.
Also, who knows, the D could change up some in scheme. Don't know I'm not the coach. But unfortunately I have to agree that the soft zone coverage killed us. They were throwing between the zone coverages. This is a very good learning experience for the players. This team will mesh more and get alot better. I have faith in the team and the coaches. The O line meshed well last night. They did give our QB better time to throw than in the Silsbee game. AJ was able to sit in the pocket alittle more. I have to give credit to WOS. They are a very good team with great talent and speed. I hope they go far this year. Their D is very talented. I don't think we will go up against another D as good as this one on a overall basis. Ned has a great D line, but WOS has a great D all over.
Take what we can and learn and get better from this game. I am proud that the team didn't give up in this game. A few changes in penalites and a few more caught passes and we would have been in this game.
As much as I don’t care for the soft zone pass coverage either, look at it this way. We don’t have nearly enough speed against that team to go man, and if we tighten up our zone, their receivers will likely get past our DB’s deep and we are toast, our guys won’t recover. At least with the soft zone we keep that speed in front of us and that at least gives us a chance to make plays. In the end, putting yourself in position to make plays is what it’s all about, and just maybe playing so far off their speedy receivers gives us our best chance to make plays in front of us rather than behind us?.......this coming from a former DB!!!

akifan94

500+ Posts
hookem14 said:
pngfan66 said:
hookem14 said:
akifan94 said:

As much as I don’t care for the soft zone pass coverage either, look at it this way. We don’t have nearly enough speed against that team to go man, and if we tighten up our zone, their receivers will likely get past our DB’s deep and we are toast, our guys won’t recover. At least with the soft zone we keep that speed in front of us and that at least gives us a chance to make plays. In the end, putting yourself in position to make plays is what it’s all about, and just maybe playing so far off their speedy receivers gives us our best chance to make plays in front of us rather than behind us?.......this coming from a former DB!!!

We can do more in letting players play more press coverage with help over the top. Last night we literally played man on man zone numerous times (as strange as that sounds).

hookem14

100+ Posts
akifan94 said:
hookem14 said:
pngfan66 said:
hookem14 said:
akifan94 said:

We can do more in letting players play more press coverage with help over the top. Last night we literally played man on man zone numerous times (as strange as that sounds).
That doesn't sound strange at all, I know exactly what you mean. Just based off a pretty fair share of experience, I truly don't think it would have mattered. Sometimes the other team is just much better. It's that simple.

pngbax20

100+ Posts
"BF probably stayed with his Offensive play calling for this game to continue to work on things. He isn't going to show his hand before district."

I hate when people say this, it basically means he is willing to lose a game. I'm sure everybody in our district has seen what BF has done in the past. So to say this its just an excuse

hookem14

100+ Posts
PNGBax20 said:
"BF probably stayed with his Offensive play calling for this game to continue to work on things. He isn't going to show his hand before district."

I hate when people say this, it basically means he is willing to lose a game. I'm sure everybody in our district has seen what BF has done in the past. So to say this its just an excuse
BF told me in the offseason that he changes his entire playbook by about 30% each year on average. That's a pretty significant change!

pngbax20

100+ Posts
hookem14 said:
PNGBax20 said:

BF told me in the offseason that he changes his entire playbook by about 30% each year on average. That's a pretty significant change!

I can understand that but your not willing to pull out a play to win the game, then your excepting a loss.

hookem14

100+ Posts
PNGBax20 said:
hookem14 said:
PNGBax20 said:

I can understand that but your not willing to pull out a play to win the game, then your excepting a loss.
Well, let's see, against Silsbee, we won, and against WO-S, we weren't going to win no matter what he called!!!

pngbax20

100+ Posts
hookem14 said:
PNGBax20 said:
hookem14 said:
PNGBax20 said:

Well, let's see, against Silsbee, we won, and against WO-S, we weren't going to win no matter what he called!!!

Your right about last night, it probably would've made a difference. But I was simple stating i don't care when people say that he's no showing the other opponent everything and its a tight game.

hookem14

100+ Posts
PNGBax20 said:
hookem14 said:
PNGBax20 said:
hookem14 said:
PNGBax20 said:

Your right about last night, it probably would've made a difference. But I was simple stating i don't care when people say that he's no showing the other opponent everything and its a tight game.
I can understand that, Trust me, I believe he just wants to have his team ready for district and put them in what he believes is the best chance to win during that time. That includes playing tuff teams like WO-S and maybe not showing district opponents what may be in store for them. To win every game would be great, but district is really all that matters for a playoff run!

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
After reading all the thoughts , it seems that WO-S's speed was dominating every phase of the game.

As in every season past the Indians' best chance to succeed was going to be a power running game that kept the ball away from the Mustangs and give the play action pass a better chance.

The past 3 seasons the Indians have been blessed with better than average talent at QB and RB. No slam on the current team, but that's no there yet. So it's an uphill battle every way. And in the end, the more talented team won last night. It's painful when that happens but we can't win them all. I think the Indians will find ways to improve a lot after this game.

hookem14

100+ Posts
IndianFan said:
After reading all the thoughts , it seems that WO-S's speed was dominating every phase of the game.

As in every season past the Indians' best chance to succeed was going to be a power running game that kept the ball away from the Mustangs and give the play action pass a better chance.

The past 3 seasons the Indians have been blessed with better than average talent at QB and RB. No slam on the current team, but that's no there yet. So it's an uphill battle every way. And in the end, the more talented team won last night. It's painful when that happens but we can't win them all. I think the Indians will find ways to improve a lot after this game.
Totally agree! As painful as it was, those boys will gain a lot from last night in more ways than one.

pngfan66

500+ Posts
Here is something I saw after watching the game again on TV. (recorded) When our O did a hurry up offense we moved the ball. Seems like we had WOS D on their heels just a bit. Runs were opened up some and short pass game seemed to move the ball. Maybe this is something BF was looking at last night. Just a thought.

hpt2012

Hello Indian Nation, My take last night, Is that we struggle throughout the night. Special Teams was awesome. The O needs some work, I like the dual QB system that PNG ran last night, I was talking to some parents at the game and they were saying that a hispanic QB was taking some snaps during practices. I was told that he was a QB on the JV team under Coach Cox at the time, He was in a rotation with AJ back then.. I heard that he is a good player at that position, My question is if he is as good as they say why doesn't Coach F plays him as well. All I am saying is it can't hurts us but helps us that much more. Who's is this kid and what's his number? What your take on that issue?. Also during the last 3 minutes of the game, Why didn't they play the 2ND and 3rd string players, It would be nice for them to experience the Friday night light's as well, At that point we were two scores behind. Without sounding critical here, Is Coach F selfish our that's just the way it is, help me out here? Good luck next week

hookem14

100+ Posts
hpt2012 said:
Hello Indian Nation, My take last night, Is that we struggle throughout the night. Special Teams was awesome. The O needs some work, I like the dual QB system that PNG ran last night, I was talking to some parents at the game and they were saying that a hispanic QB was taking some snaps during practices. I was told that he was a QB on the JV team under Coach Cox at the time, He was in a rotation with AJ back then.. I heard that he is a good player at that position, My question is if he is as good as they say why doesn't Coach F plays him as well. All I am saying is it can't hurts us but helps us that much more. Who's is this kid and what's his number? What your take on that issue?. Also during the last 3 minutes of the game, Why didn't they play the 2ND and 3rd string players, It would be nice for them to experience the Friday night light's as well, At that point we were two scores behind. Without sounding critical here, Is Coach F selfish our that's just the way it is, help me out here? Good luck next week
OK, I'll bite...............................What???

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
hpt2012 said:

You crack me up. One week you're saying that you want Walker to be brought up and to play. He had a few opportunities, and, under the tough circumstances, did not fare well. So, now you say let bring another one up and try all three???? Are you serious? Do you REALLY believe that there is a better player on JV that coach just chooses not to play?
Give us all a break.
Why not come to the Monday night meetings and ask BF these questions yourself? I'm sure he has a very good reason for not playing the reserves at the end. Maybe to test the 4th quarter stamina of the starters? IDK.

:thud:

bandkid

Staff member
hpt2012 said:

To answer your question, that's just the way it is. I don't care if you're losing 70-0, you don't send in the reserves. That's just a signal to the rest of the world that you've given up, and PN-G does NOT give up.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
This is a high school team. The starters who earned their spot on the field need the work and reps to improve.

And no team needs a 3 QB controversy. 2 is more than enough. The problem with sharing the QB job is often neither establishes himself.

bandkid

Staff member
This is just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth.

Too many people are looking for an easy out with the QB situation. They think we can just pull a QB out of a magic hat and expect him to lead the team to victory. That's not the way it works. At this point, we need to let Faircloth make his decision, whether that's to pick a QB - Walker or Smith - stick with him and let him develop, or to try and implement a 2 QB system. Faircloth is an awesome QB coach. He'll get whoever we end up with into a rhythm and we'll be fine. Just let the man do his job.

hpt2012

PNG Proud said:
[ You crack me up. One week you're saying that you want Walker to be brought up and to play. He had a few opportunities, and, under the tough circumstances, did not fare well. So, now you say let bring another one up and try all three???? Are you serious? Do you REALLY believe that there is a better player on JV that coach just chooses not to play?
Give us all a break.
Why not come to the Monday night meetings and ask BF these questions yourself? I'm sure he has a very good reason for not playing the reserves at the end. Maybe to test the 4th quarter stamina of the starters? IDK.

Well PNG Proud, I am glad you can have a good laugh with my comments, At least I now someone is reading my post, If you read what I said is that, I am told that there is another player of a hispanic decent taking QB reps in practice, At one time he use to be a JV QB with AJ, I don't know who he is. The only other hispanic QB that I, And I mean I now about is Eli Vasquez. And hey if we need 3 QB, Who cares as long as were winning and it's
Right? Thanks
PNG Proud for ready my post, Next time I will open my post with a comedy joke just for you hehehe.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores