PN-G vs WO-S: Official Game Thread

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
"Well some of you are not going to agree with me, but aj has been a qb since coach bf got here and has yet to become the qb everyone expect him to be. I think ky walker should be elevated to start some games this season. Just like I feel other players deserve to be starters instead of being on the bench, but then again this players will not see any playing time due to favoritism and the good old boys politics."

These are your words. Looks like you're calling for another QB to me!

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
After watching just a few minutes of the opening series of the game, it's clear that WO-S quickness on defense was blowing up plays before they even started. There's not much you can do about that.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
After watching the first WO-S drive it's obvious that the Mustangs have a fast, veteran offense that's used to playing together. 7 starters returned from last year from a team that went 3 or 4 rounds deep in the playoffs. The Indians made some good plays on defense, but the Mustang QB had great accuracy and good receivers to throw to.

I'd be surprised if any 20-4A team could beat WO-S this season.

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Agreed. We were nothing but a scrimmage for those guys. They were near playoff prepared, already.

Layingemdown

bamakid said:
We now have a thorough overview of what we need to work on. Remove the penalties, and I honestly think this would have been a closer game. Indians shot themselves in the foot early on - seven penalties just in the first half - and never recovered. I think we now know that Walker needs more experience, whether it comes from the JV or varsity levels, but he didn't do a bad job considering that this was his first time to play varsity and the defense he was going up against. AJ also did well tonight, all things considered. Offense needs to work on accuracy and holding onto the ball, and develop some sort of running game. Defense showed signs of improvement after adjustments in the second half. All in all, there's a lot of work to be done in the coming weeks.

The difference in talent definitely showed tonight. Have to give all the credit to WO-S - they played a heck of game. Congratulations, Mustangs, and good luck this year.

Walker had all of 2 or 3 series to get warmed up and never got back in. His last series he made a nice read over the middle but missed high a little bit. He needs to play.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Good 1st quarter for the Indians. They stood toe to toe with the Mustangs but WO-S is just that good.

Just an observation... the PN-G line doesn't look nearly as big as what I've read here.

newindianfan

My take on the game.
#1. We gave them the ball 2 times near or goal. one fumble and one interception.That's 2 easy scores for them.

#2. Ball thrown too high or into a crowed of players. Someone could get hurt jumping for the ball.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Not a bad 1st half at all. Given WO-S' talent level, the Indians hung in there and delivered some shots on both sides of the ball. A few plays here and there, and it's a close score. Correcting the mental mistakes and penalties will go a long way.

PN-G is going to win a lot of games this year. :thumbsup:

Justafan

2,000+ Posts
To help with the speed of the game, MANY years ago when I played with a team with alot of speed our coach used to put 13 or 14 defenders on the defense and we had to defend against it. Had people coming at you in all different areas.
Just a thought.

Lumpy77

you cant run dual qbs and expect to be successful. faircloth needs to settle on a starter and stick with him. quarterbacks have to get in a rhythm with their offense and its hard to do when you are rotating in and out

bark

1,000+ Posts
Lumpy77 said:
you cant run dual qbs and expect to be successful. faircloth needs to settle on a starter and stick with him. quarterbacks have to get in a rhythm with their offense and its hard to do when you are rotating in and out
????????????????????????????????????????
agree look at 1953,1955,1975,1976,1977, 1999 and Doty's years, etc...gotta have a leader in the huddle.
From things as simple as cadence on the snap.
use the other in a wildcat position.

my opinion

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Manvel has used a 2-QB system for a few seasons and reached the state championship last year. In the past, Stephenville and LaMarque have used rotating QBs [when Kendall Briles was a soph he rotated with a senior QB at S'ville] and they've got a lot hardware in the trophy case. Unless you have a Jackie Hawthorne (1953-1955), Richy Ethridge (1975-1976), or Dustin Long (1997-1999) to literally carry your teams to the state championship, then I say use whatever works...2 QBs, 1 QB, snap it directly to a Wildcat, or do whatever else is necessary to win games. I don't care what we do as long as we win. On a different note, can you imagine what a QB like Dustin Long would do in Coach Faircloth's system? Think Stephenville and Art & Kendall Briles magic...a talented QB that can read defenses, scramble, and throw darts would lead PN-G to the big prize.

Go Indians. Peace.

bark

1,000+ Posts
1989NDN said:
Manvel has used a 2-QB system for a few seasons and reached the state championship last year. In the past, Stephenville and LaMarque have used rotating QBs [when Kendall Briles was a soph he rotated with a senior QB at S'ville] and they've got a lot hardware in the trophy case. Unless you have a Jackie Hawthorne (1953-1955), Richy Ethridge (1975-1976), or Dustin Long (1997-1999) to literally carry your teams to the state championship, then I say use whatever works...2 QBs, 1 QB, snap it directly to a Wildcat, or do whatever else is necessary to win games. I don't care what we do as long as we win. On a different note, can you imagine what a QB like Dustin Long would do in Coach Faircloth's system? Think Stephenville and Art & Kendall Briles magic...a talented QB that can read defenses, scramble, and throw darts would lead PN-G to the big prize.

Go Indians. Peace.
point taken - keep in mind we only threw 7-12 times a game in 75/76. It was Richey's presence in the huddle that was the "edge" Plus, like Long nothing like the coaches son at QB -

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores