PNG vs G-P

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Any W is a good W. It was hot and sticky, but well worth it to watch PN-G play well.

1. PN-G defense is small, but they are scrappy and fiesty bunch. They will put a hat on you. The DL is well coached...don't have a lot of size, but they play hard with their motors amped up in high gear and they attack. They are coached to get after it and go find the ball. DL #42 is a prime example...not a big guy, but he plays fast, he just keeps on coming after the RB, QB, or whoever has the ball, and he will put a hit on you. The PN-G D had a strong game.

2. GP was terrible. They looked like a team struggling with a new offense, struggling to defend the pass, and they could not find any mojo. Even when PN-G played a flat second half GP did next to nothing. The Indians got after #10 the GP QB. GP created some PN-G turnovers in the 2nd half, but they did nothing with them...now, PN-G's defense had something to do with that, but GP has a long ways to go if they are going to be playoff team. Did anyone else think the GP kick returner, the one that caught the kickoff on the goal line, fumbled it, and then took 2 steps back to kneel down committed a safety? I thought he touched the ball in the field of play on the 1 yd line and then went into the end zone to kneel down. I think the score was 28-0 at that point, but it sure looked to me that he was in the field of play, fumbled the ball, and then went back into the end zone and kneeled down. Anyone else have a comment? Is that allowed? A few people in my seating area all thought it could have been called a safety??? That was the kind of night it was for GP. They could not generate any momentum. They snapped the ball over their QB's head, botched an exchange on a hand off, and had to deal with pressure from a fired-up Indian defense.

3. PN-G's QB, RBs, and WRs looked just fine to me. Worried that our running QB might get hurt, but hey, when you have a mobile QB that can run and throw it gives defenses problems. Hope he stays healthy all year and has a season for the record books. Pretty strong group of RBs. Experienced all-around player in Bertrand, a firecracker in #9, and the little guy at the end of the game Avery (sp?) has some wheels. The Indians WR # 4 was the best player on the field. He can run, out jump DBs, and he pretty much catches whatever is thrown his way. The smaller scat-back WRs like #10 took a little flare pass and turned it up field for a TD...nice moves. OL will be fine. #75 is a big one. Not sure what our depth is, but the starters did just fine.

4. The Indians have a kicker. Very solid on PATs and he booted a kickoff out of the endzone.

It's great to watch the Indians spread the field, throw the ball all over the field, and then pop off a long gain on the ground. Great way to start the season.

I'll enjoy watching the Indians again next week at Crosby, maybe at Livingston, and over here in Houston when they make the playoffs (I'm an optimist :)).

Go Indians.

purplewarrior

Chief Touch The Clouds
Thanks 1989ndn! Could not make the game . Very nice position to be in for our first game!Confidence builder. Coach Faircloth is sharpening this spear! Did not hear any personal fouls tonight on our side maybe a more disciplined group.Congratulation Coaches, players,and all that support.Can't wait to see these Indians play!!!!!

PNG NDN Fan

1,000+ Posts
Staff member
Thanks for posting your observations '89. It would be appreciated if you could also provide additional comments after the Crosby game.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
purplewarrior said:
Thanks 1989ndn! Could not make the game . Very nice position to be in for our first game!Confidence builder. Coach Faircloth is sharpening this spear! Did not hear any personal fouls tonight on our side maybe a more disciplined group.Congratulation Coaches, players,and all that support.Can't wait to see these Indians play!!!!!

I did not see any personal foul calls. We had a facemask penalty that kept a GP drive alive in the 1st half, a holding call on one of our early offensive possessions, but after the flag we threw a nice 50 yard bomb for a TD to WR #4 to make up for that flag, and we had a few flags in the 2nd half. Nothing to worry about. Everyone expects to see a few flags in the first game under the Friday night lights. GP had a few illegal procedure calls, I think an illegal formation penalty, and a couple of flags in the 2nd half. The referee's on-the-field microphone kept cutting out, so we could not hear some of his calls and my old eyes are too bad to see all of his hand signals.

I threw a personal foul flag on the concession stands...they ran out of bottled water near the halftime mark...we marched off 15 yards under the stands and then I switched over to bottled Gatorade. :) The folks at Lamar Consolidated ISD were nice...the bottled Gatorade was just fine. They were impressed with PN-G's fans, the number of people all wearing purple, and the amount of money people spent on water, Gatorade, and soft drinks.

bandkid

Staff member
Speaking of hot, sticky weather, it's 76 here but feels like 68 back home because the humidity is so low. I keep thinking it's October. Not to brag or anything... ;D

#4 is Jayce Nelson. He has an uncanny ability to make catches that most receivers wouldn't have a shot at, and he can turn on the jets when he needs to. I remember my jaw dropping after a catch he made at the Manvel game last year. The kicker is Angel Valencia and he has a powerful leg. I believe he also plays soccer and has really been a big part of our boys' soccer team.

I listened to the game and it sounded like we had great execution on both sides of the ball. From what I could tell (bear in mind that my phone kept cutting in and out), Miller isn't quite as accurate as Doty was on long passes, but he has an ability to scramble. It didn't sound like the OL was letting G-P put too much pressure on him. It also sounded like our defense is much improved from last year, and the offense sounded very balanced and full of weapons that we weren't afraid to use.

The announcers said something about one player (maybe an RB) really turning on the afterburners to make a 60+ yard TD run. I didn't catch the player's name (again, phone was a little shaky). PN-G isn't exactly known for speed, so it's nice to hear that we might have a trick or two up our sleeves in that department.

PNG NDN Fan

1,000+ Posts
Staff member
bamakid said:
The announcers said something about one player (maybe an RB) really turning on the afterburners to make a 60+ yard TD run. I didn't catch the player's name (again, phone was a little shaky).

According to the stats, that player is Antonio Arvie.

http://www.chron.com/sports/highschool/scoreboard/?mkt=houston&site=default&tpl=team&Sport=1&TeamID=151&SchoolID=&Season=2011&DistrictID=&SearchDate=08%2F28%2F11&SearchDateEnd=08%2F28%2F11&SearchLastName=&SearchFirstName=&Market=10&SearchType=Teams

pngfan93

1,000+ Posts
PN-G rolls in season opener
By Gary Martin Special to the Beaumont Enterprise
Published 10:20 p.m., Saturday, August 27, 2011

Travis Miller saw limited action backing up starting quarterback Brendon Doty after being pulled up from the junior varsity squad in 2010.

But Port Neches-Groves head coach Brandon Faircloth, who is also the Indians' quarterbacks coach, worked with Miller during spring workouts and over the summer.

So far the results are impressive.

In his first varsity start, Miller threw for 225 yards and four touchdowns in the first half alone and finished with 247 through the air on 19-of-27 passing as PN-G dominated Gregory-Portland, 42-0, in the season opener at Guy K. Traylor Memorial Stadium.

In overpowering Gregory-Portland from the opening kickoff, PN-G atoned for a disconcerting 30-29 loss to the Wildcats at the Alamodome in San Antonio in the Texas Football Classic.

The versatile 6-foot-2 Miller also added 47 yards on the ground and a touchdown, giving the senior 294 yards total offense and 5 touchdowns.

Equally impressive was a PN-G defense that held Gregory-Portland without a first down for the first 17 minutes of the game and two yards total offense.

On the first possession of the game, Miller mixed the run with the pass, moving the Indians 85 yards in 10 plays. On third and 20 from midfield, Miller threw a go-route to Jayce Nelson (9 catches, 130 yards), who outleaped Gregory-Portland defender Chris Williams, kept his balance and raced down the sidelines for a 7-0 lead.

After Gregory-Portland went three and out, PN-G went on another long, sustained drive, moving 75 yards in 11 plays. This time, Miller ran a quarterback draw up the middle 12 yards and the score, making it 14-0.

PN-G went on a scoring spree, scoring three touchdowns over the final 6:25 of the first half to take a commanding 35-0 advantage at the break.

Miller connected three more times for scores, hitting Chase Bertrand from 14 yards out, Tyler LaCour on a 39-yard completion and Nelson for the second time, this one for a 14-yard touchdown.

The final Indian score came with 13 seconds left when reserve tailback Antonio Arvie broke loose down the left sideline and raced 67 yards virtually untouched into the end zone.

badndn

500+ Posts
If a kickoff is muffed in the field of play and momentum caries into the endzone it can be downed as a touchback. This was the case last night as the GP player never had posession in the field of play.

pngfan93

1,000+ Posts
Any complaints that we broke any kind of plaque and left it on the field this year?

I think the only thing left on the field was the game!!!! Hopefully GP fans are better losers than they are winners.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores