PNG vs G-P

png94

100+ Posts
Arvie has a brother on the freshman team and one in 8th grade in PN. Kennel would be a great DE. Big with speed. :thumbsup:

bark

1,000+ Posts
He is sooooo fast they are using him at the skill positions now QB, RB, Rover etc...-not that it may change.

In my opinion it would be crazy to put your most talented athlete at DE, especially at the 7th grade level. But I don't have a degree in PE nor have I coached in a real situation. Only Pee Wee Youth for me.

Indian99

500+ Posts
In my opinion, 7th and 8th grades are too early to distinguish if a player is going to be that good when they're in highschool. I've seen several times where a kid has a growth spurt in middle school and is a "man amongst boys," then everybody else catches up with them in highschool. Their are only a few that are that good throughout their football days.

PNGfan

100+ Posts
Indian99 said:
In my opinion, 7th and 8th grades are too early to distinguish if a player is going to be that good when they're in highschool. I've seen several times where a kid has a growth spurt in middle school and is a "man amongst boys," then everybody else catches up with them in highschool. Their are only a few that are that good throughout their football days.
Some of the kids thier talking about will be the real deal I promise you. Like I said there is alot of talent coming up for a while. Just sit back and watch. The 7th grade kid is a man child and you will here his name often.

NDNmom91

500+ Posts
There is also a TON of talent in the youth football program! If most of them continue playing, the future is def bright 8) for PNG!

bark

1,000+ Posts
Indian99, with respect to your quote I think of Justin Eicher and a real extreme example would be Robert Darutte(mispelled) who I don't think played until his jr year then made all everything his senior year and went to LSU on a scholarship.

I could name several who did in fact fizzle out in High School from the class I was in. Of course, I am not going to name those folks.

All I know is just last night a guy told me they have already heard of his athletic abilities in Nederland!

the first day of pads (Monday) he tore it up, I was told.

PNGfan

100+ Posts
NDNmom91 said:
There is also a TON of talent in the youth football program! If most of them continue playing, the future is def bright 8) for PNG!
I agree! I see most of the younger ones since I have one in 8th grade, one in Junior tackle, and another that will be in flag next year.

NDN79

500+ Posts
I agree with you Indian99. It's to hard to project what kind of player a 7th,or 8th grader will turn out to be. It's great to encourage and support them, but it's also unfair to expect them to be amazing players in high school when they are still in junior high. I have seen some great junior high players over the years that either got burned out, interested in other sports, or just didn't maximize their potential. I know it's exciting to think all of our young players will develop into special athletes, and I hope they do, but it's hard to do. Good luck and good health to all of our young athletes.

PNGfan

100+ Posts
Indian99 said:
Would it suprise you if I said there is a 5th grader at PNE that runs track for club in Port Arthur that was in the top 18 in the country this summer? I understand your statement and alot of it could be true. The deal is almost all of the communities in the Golden Triangle play in the same youth football league now including Port Arthur. Sure the kids will change, some for better and some for worse. When you look at each age group in the PNG youth sports, middle school, and high school, they are winning. If it continues, PNG HS will be a force in all sports in the future. Remember, the youth leagues run a basic version of what the HS runs. Our 9 and 10's are pulling guards and are given the same blocking assignments as the HS kids. The defense is ran the same with the same calls, as well as the offense. These kids will have 6 or even 7 years in the system by the time they get to HS. Your about to see the payoff of how a program is suppose to be ran from peewee to high school.

bark

1,000+ Posts
Remember, Youth League is Daddy Ball. I can name several 7th/8th graders who were all star Youth players last year and they are 2nd/ 3rd team now at the Middle Schools.

youth/little league ball stars are simply if their dad coaches - they are allstars.

Lets enjoy the ride as we did with Ethridge. 4-6 year run with a state championship and several years deep into the playoffs - pretty good gig.

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
You're exactly right Bark. The same goes for Little League and Babe Ruth. All Stars is simply a coach's kid tournament. Nothing more. And the kids that figure it out want no part of it.

bark

1,000+ Posts
PNG Proud said:
You're exactly right Bark. The same goes for Little League and Babe Ruth. All Stars is simply a coach's kid tournament. Nothing more. And the kids that figure it out want no part of it.
The kids figure it out but their are still hurt feelings etc...Most of the LL coaches didn't even play Varsity level sports so they are living through their kid.

There are exceptions obviously. Look at our PNG Football program and see the pages of mommys and daddy's in the ad that is SUPPOSE to be for the kid. Go figure?

Justafan

2,000+ Posts
Agreed, back in the day when I coached my kids the coaches always voted for there kids first no matter if they deserved it or not. My first year coaching my oldest son, all the coaches were meeting to pick allstars. My first pick was another kid on my team, and one of the other coaches looked at me and asked why I wasn't picking my son. I turned to him and said my son wasn't the best player on my team. He stated it didn't matter, you always have to pick your on child. My son was about the 5th best player on our team so I didn't pick him and he didn't make allstars that year. How can a kid ever improve if he never earns a spot? To this day my kids are better adults because of this, because me and my wife taught them if you want something you have to work for it or earn it. It is never given to you. Thats whats wrong with society today, kids want (or expect) everything for nothing and they learn this from there parents.

NDN79

500+ Posts
Justafan-- I agree completely. Kids now think they do not have to work hard to get what they want (not all of them). What gets me is this sense of entitlement that they have--I want / I get!! I think that our team will set itself apart from others because they know it takes hard work, and they are willing to put the time and effort in.

Indian99

500+ Posts
PNGfan said:
Indian99 said:
Would it suprise you if I said there is a 5th grader at PNE that runs track for club in Port Arthur that was in the top 18 in the country this summer? I understand your statement and alot of it could be true. The deal is almost all of the communities in the Golden Triangle play in the same youth football league now including Port Arthur. Sure the kids will change, some for better and some for worse. When you look at each age group in the PNG youth sports, middle school, and high school, they are winning. If it continues, PNG HS will be a force in all sports in the future. Remember, the youth leagues run a basic version of what the HS runs. Our 9 and 10's are pulling guards and are given the same blocking assignments as the HS kids. The defense is ran the same with the same calls, as well as the offense. These kids will have 6 or even 7 years in the system by the time they get to HS. Your about to see the payoff of how a program is suppose to be ran from peewee to high school.

Everything you posted sounds good; I'm just saying it's not fair to kids to assume that just because they're a superstar in middle or even elementary grades that it will echo in their highschool years. I agree that it's good that they are being taught the same things that they will learn when they are in highschool, but hasn't that always been the case? I can remember when I was a kid in Pop Warner, we would run the same type of defensive and offensive plays that the Varsity would run. It may have been more basic plays then they actually ran in highschool, but overall it was pretty much the same schemes. NDN79 and bark hit the nail on the head.

NDNmom91

500+ Posts
bark said:
Remember, Youth League is Daddy Ball. I can name several 7th/8th graders who were all star Youth players last year and they are 2nd/ 3rd team now at the Middle Schools.

youth/little league ball stars are simply if their dad coaches - they are allstars.

Lets enjoy the ride as we did with Ethridge. 4-6 year run with a state championship and several years deep into the playoffs - pretty good gig.

It's kinda sad, but I have to agree with that. My son is a very good player but isn't being developed like some of the others. My husbands work schedule hasn't allowed him to be a coach so our son has kinda been pushed to the side, along with other very talented kids. Another thing that is very bothersome to us is how some teams get all the best players while others get the kids who have never played before! It seems like rules should be in place to provide a balance of experienced players to be spread to all teams. Don't get me wrong, the coaches kids have all been very talented and deserving of key positions but there are MANY others equally talented not getting their chance to shine! There is also a huge need for resources and support for our youth coaches who may have stepped up to the plate to coach when no one else would but don't exactly know the best way to coach little ones! My sons coaches are very knowledgeable of the game but they have a team full of inexperienced players and are struggling to effectively teach them. Up til now we have been very pleased with things in the youth program but some things are coming to light that are very upsetting.

pngfan93

1,000+ Posts
But hey, Nederland has our number for the next five years GUARANTEED. We've been given this info straight from a Ned fan. :crazy:

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
NDNmom91 said:
bark said:

It's kinda sad, but I have to agree with that. My son is a very good player but isn't being developed like some of the others. My husbands work schedule hasn't allowed him to be a coach so our son has kinda been pushed to the side, along with other very talented kids. Another thing that is very bothersome to us is how some teams get all the best players while others get the kids who have never played before! It seems like rules should be in place to provide a balance of experienced players to be spread to all teams. Don't get me wrong, the coaches kids have all been very talented and deserving of key positions but there are MANY others equally talented not getting their chance to shine! There is also a huge need for resources and support for our youth coaches who may have stepped up to the plate to coach when no one else would but don't exactly know the best way to coach little ones! My sons coaches are very knowledgeable of the game but they have a team full of inexperienced players and are struggling to effectively teach them. Up til now we have been very pleased with things in the youth program but some things are coming to light that are very upsetting.

It's the same everywhere. For example, the Cy-Fair youth league operates with the same politics in every sport.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores