Spring football

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
It’s tough to replace someone like a Mason Droddy on defense who had the equivalent of a supercharged hemi for a heart and a similar 0-60 time. But there are a lot of good and dedicated players on the team with the potential to step up. And the coaches are there to bring out their potential.
Those players show the underclassmen and even children how to do things
That’s one reason dynasties stay in place

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
An often unacknowledged and even uncoached key to being a great defensive football player is learning to play beyond the basics. Of course there are correct ways to read and react to a play, to tackle, etc. But the nuanced adjustments that enable a player to standout and make game changing plays are not always taught or even comprehended. For most players that extra level of play never becomes a natural reaction or ability. Maybe that’s what separates the great ones. It is special when we can observe football players playing at that next level. And as mentioned, when other teammates can see that level in action, it can be an eye opener and great learning opportunity.

Different but similar possibilities exist at every position. And none of it is sustainable without a base of great conditioning.

Pngfootball11

We have proven talent at every position except wide receiver. Replacing Prosperie and Guarnere is my biggest concern. Those 2 are the best receivers we've had since Preston Riggs. Do we have some promising receiver prospects coming up?
Noah Washington Sr. 6’3 lengthy athletic jump ball type Wr and London nunley Jr. a 6’2-athletic, hands Catcher both guys will be a mismatch.

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
Most PNG athletes could start at WR for most other teams - I regularly see O linemen make the one handed “catch the cone” (whatever you call that I’m sure there’s a name for it) catches in warmups etc
There is a definite culture at PNG of catching (and fighting for) footballs
You can see it in the “playground games” the kids play - we used to call it “up for grabs” where one kid would throw the ball and a group of 5-10 kids fight to catch the ball - you don’t see that just everywhere. I thought it was a shame that Riggs played soccer (his choice lol) but I think he didn’t realize how good he was at playing WR

At many schools all state WRs like Prosperie etc might have been playing Lacrosse

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
To me (JMO) -(just my opinion)

If at all possible you keep Adams doing exactly what he did last year if you have an adequate QB
I say that for a couple of reasons
One - it obviously worked
Two - That means you have a QB for 3 years (f I remember correctly the new guy is a sophomore)(could be wrong)
Three - if you’re reloading at WR there’s a strength and with a 6’5 target that has to make it easier for a new QB
of course I wouldn’t want to deprive Adams of his chance to play QB
BUT he was so good in his role last year I’d almost hate to “lose” that position player

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Adams played at every skill position and the result was a diverse attack that kept defenses on their toes. He could catch a pass, make a move and outrun the fastest defenders once he hit his stride. He could power the ball up the middle for an almost automatic 5 yard gain. He could throw the ball well too although his lack of reps put him at a disadvantage. The most extreme example was him going in motion and running up under center. The opposing defense is definitely at a disadvantage wherever he lines up. The coaches will hopefully maximize his opportunity to make the greatest difference.and if he wants to play QB I hope he does. He took a backseat to Crippen for two seasons when in fact he could have excelled all along as a dual threat QB.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
I don't care where he plays as long as the ball gets in his hands a lot. Good things happen when he touches the football. I'm anxious to see the SOPH QB. You can never have too many playmakers. Another big and strong OL, tall WRs, several good RBs, a proven playmaker in Adams, an exciting young QB, lots of returning talent on defense that has played in BIG games, and a HC and DC that have a knack for creating outstanding gameplans...as I type this, I'm thinking, let's make reservations in Arlington...December 2023. What's that old saying, teams that you remember, play in December. Good vibes surrounding the 2023 Indians. Let it rip.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Doesn’t hurt that all those young players had 6 extra weeks of practice and playing time last season. And have a taste of the big time now. They will be hungry to get back to Jerry’s House and pick up a district championship along the way.

100+ Posts
Adams looked more comfortable passing today.
yeah especially the last little mini-drive, in which every play was a pass.

This morning's scrimmage was good overall; some good runs, passes, catches, defensive plays. The defense wasn't hitting full speed I don't think, played off of the receivers, and of course was not hitting the QBs at all, but they almost seemed to pick up where they left off last season.

They'll be competitive for sure, and good thing, this is a tough district.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores