The Head Coach Speculation Thread

akifan94

500+ Posts
wacape said:
Since no one here seems to want to "keep it in house"...I think Mike Arnaud would be a great choice. He's young,enthusiastic and from what I've seen on the sidelines, he's a great motivator. Looks like he has alot on the ball also.

Wouldn't that be "in-house"? Promoting from with-in should be out of the question. We need a fresh clean start and someone who can bring the best scheme with the talent we have. This job will attract plenty of big names. No need to settle.

Justafan

2,000+ Posts
I would like to look from the outside. I would like for whoever it is to bring in some new blood. Credeur and Long have to many ties with the current staff.
I am not stating our assistants are not good coaches but I think we need a fresh start with new fresh ideas.

modmouse78

100+ Posts
I also agree that we should hire from outside, but i also think whoever gets hired doesn't have to come in and "clean house". I think that person should talk to the current assistant coaches and decide if he wants to keep them or let them go. I think that there are some that have fresh ideas, but when they voiced those ideas before, had fallen on deaf ears. That was one of the problems. That is why i said in an earlier post that you could see coaches arguing on the sidelines during games. Some wanted to make changes and some did not.

pngfan93

1,000+ Posts
According to MaxPreps, Long is 25-16 at Kelly since 04-05. Was he there before then?

Here's the breakdown:
'04 5-0
'05 4-3
'06 5-6
'07 9-1
'08 2-6

badndn

500+ Posts
You gotta also remember a lot of those losses have come against public schools that are twice their size. Last year they beat the crap out of Sulphur who was coming off a State Championship at the highest level in LA.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
If M. Long gets the job, would Dustin Long come in as the QB coach? D. Long is one of the top passing QBs in Texas high school football history. He knows his stuff and would probably help the QBs develop. That combination would be a shot of old and new 'purple blood'. And would definitely spice up the offense.

wacape

100+ Posts
LMAO,aki...before you correct someone else's spelling, you might want to check your own. There's no hyphen in "within".
Whatever way we go with a coach selection, be prepared for several years of what we experienced last season. The kids aren't going to learn a new system over night.

IBLEEDPURPLE

1,000+ Posts
Although there may be many good "local" options to fill the position, I sincerely hope the board does the right thing and posts the position so that "outsiders" can also throw their hat in the ring. When it is all said and done, I hope we can look back and say a good decision was made and we have someone in the driver’s seat that will motivate and begin grooming the younger middle school aged kids to the program.

With that being said, I only hope that the fans are prepared for the next years that will most likely be "building years" for the NDN's. Hopefully, building on returning to the glory days when having PN-G on your schedule that week meant a tough week of practice for opponents and if you were playing us at home.... you'd better get there early for a seat cause the faithful purple & white would definitely be there in thousands cheering on the boys from PN-G.

I hope that in all of this uncertainty, any young man that is approaching high school with hopes of being a member of a PN-G Indian squad knows; this is an exciting time for PN-G. We will always be there to support our team!!

Once an Indian.....always an Indian.

ndnsrock44

100+ Posts
OK. Nothing against Credeur, Long etc. But let's not sell our program short. As coonass said, let's go to the established programs that win year after year... Plano, Euless, Katy, Northshore, lufkin, Pearland, Stephenville, Wolforth Frenship,North Shore, SLC, Austin Westlake... these are just off the top of my head. These programs win year in year out no matter the talent level. Let's get some of their coordinators on the list. Also, we should get some ineterest from 4A and 3A head coaches that have established winning programs. We need to shoot for the stars. Some people on this board are like a hot girl with low self-esteem. Settle for what we know we can get because we think that is all we deserve. The truth is, this job is a very attractive one. Wherever I travel in the state people know about PNG football and its history. We are one of the state's most storied programs. We have state of the art facilities and a fan base second to none. Lets not be like the hot girl with low self-esteem. Lets look in the mirror and evaluate how attractive we are to coaches STATEWIDE. I think you will see that we find that the cream of the crop will be our suitors.

akifan94

500+ Posts
wacape said:
LMAO,aki...before you correct someone else's spelling, you might want to check your own. There's no hyphen in "within".
Whatever way we go with a coach selection, be prepared for several years of what we experienced last season. The kids aren't going to learn a new system over night.

I was not correcting your spelling. Maybe I misunderstood you. Doesn't Arnaud coach here? If so, I was just replying that hiring him would in fact be keeping it in house, which seems to be against the consensus. Please forgive me master speller for my grammatical error. :whiteflag:

pngfan1

I believe we will have some good candidates, that will surprise some people. Just as ndnsrock44 said this is a well known and respected school with new state of the art facilities. So if the people who will be making the decision look at this board, then please do not settle or sell us short. Hire the best candidate for the job that applies.If Long or Credeur are the best that apply then fine but I don't believe they will be. We will get candidates that resumes will be much much better.

We shouldn't be concerned about transition. A new system doesn't have to be that big of a problem if it implemented by the right coach. Think back 1988, we went 1 - 9, then hired malone and went 10-2 in 1989. If we get the right man it will not take a few rough years.

pngfan93

1,000+ Posts
pngfan1 said:
Think back 1988, we went 1 - 9, then hired malone and went 10-2 in 1989. If we get the right man it will not take a few rough years.

Only this time we will not be dropping in classification as we did in 1989.

fujita5

I think that if we hire from within we might just sell ourselves short on the candidates that are out there. Hiring alumni to coach can bite you later because it makes it awkward. I like MB as a individual but we all saw where it just made things difficult across the board.

Like the general consensus here is saying, we need to look at all our options. I agree with the comment on the 89 team. My brother play on that team, and you could see a difference in the boys starting back when they met Coach Malone. He told them they would win, and they did. I remember the 90 team that played a tough Jasper team at PN-G, and we could not get our running game going against a tough Jasper defense. So Coach Malone took our starting linebackers off defense, put them in the back field and ran the ball down Jaspers throat. We won the game because of a coach who was not afraid of doing what it took to win. Thats the kind of coach we need. One who will give the boys every opportunity to win every game they are in.

I like Creduer, Long, and Stump but once the resumes come in we will see some marquee coaching talent in line for a marquee coaching position, with a state of the art facility. This is fixing the get very insteresting

pngfan1

pngfan93 said:
pngfan1 said:
Think back 1988, we went 1 - 9, then hired malone and went 10-2 in 1989. If we get the right man it will not take a few rough years.

Very good point, playing in the larger class probably had a lot to do with 1 - 9 in '88. With the talent coming(regardless of what the people on other boards think), I believe the right coach can make the transition fairly painless.I just look at how Craig Stump brought West Brook from joke of Beaumont to State power pretty quick.I must honestly say we are far better off now than West Brook was before Stump, so just maybe.

C

coonass322

How many family thanksgiving get togethers in PN/Groves will you hear..

Who are they going to hire?....I heard.....

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
In 1988, Coach Troy's last year, we went 1-8 in 4A. We dropped from 5A to 4A after the 1987 football season and 1988 graduation year. During the 1988 football season, we played a 4A schedule under Coach Troy and we went 1-8. We missed a game during the 1988 football season due to ... guess what ... a storm in the Gulf of Mexico. After the 1988 football season and 1989 graduation year, Coach Troy was reassigned and Coach Malone was hired. Coach Malone took the same core group of players from the 1988 season and turned them into a 12-2 team in 1989. Remember that 25-20 thriller at WO-S? We came up short at WO-S, but, we finished the regular season at 9-1 with a state ranking. Got on a roll in the 1989 playoffs and finished the year at 12-2, losing to A&M Consolidated.

If the right coach is found, a quick turnaround could be accomplished. However, things are different now ... PN-G no longer has 1,600-1,700 students in grades 9-12. Now, it's more like 1,300-1,400. It seems like the landlocked district is shrinking? Other schools are growing. The talent base in SE TX is spread out from PA, Nederland, Beaumont, Lumberton, and over to areas like Dayton, Baytown, and throughout the Houston metro areas. With the economy slowing, it will be interesting to see if the petrochemical industry still pushes forward with all of the expansion projects, which were supposed to bring people to Port Neches, Groves, Port Arthur, Nederland, etc. I'm still surprised that MB was not given one more year. MB was, and still is, a good coach. I'm surprised MB was not given one more shot to right the ship. I thought he earned the right to call his own shot and leave on his own terms. He paid his dues, won games, taught young kids to become young men, held kids accountable, had passion for all things PN-G, etc. Here's to hope that PN-G will find the right Chief to lead the Tribe. I hope the best candidate gets the job. I hope a wide-open offense comes to the Reservation ... spread it out, pro-style, and sling the ball around. I hope we still have that aggressive MB-style of defense. I will miss MB leading the PN-G Indians. He is a good man. Best wishes to MB. If coaching is still in his future, I hope he finds a good situation. He deserves it.

When a new Chief is hired, it will be time to circle the Tee-Pees and rally around the new HC, new program, and the kids.

Go Indians. Peace.

NDN CREW

First of all I want what is best for PNG since the people in charge feel it is change that is what it is... second I love Arnoud to dealth he is a great coach however he has no cord. experince,I don't think he has a master's because he has not coach very long at all therefore I do not think he is the best choice .....and finally Dustin Long is not a certified coach he has a degree but not in coaching and has never past his cert. test. HE only coaches football at Kelly because they are a private school and it does not matter. His real job he is a runner at a law firm he is only at Kelly for football.

VegasNDN

Fujita5 is 100% correct in regards to Malone. He came in and was VERY swift in the transition. He came in and tested our loyalty to the team, the sport of football, and what it means to be an Indian. I think a lot of us that were Juniors on Troy's last team just did not really believe after the beating we got every Friday night during that season of '88. 1989NDN was on that team and can vouch for the fact that it was hard to get fired up day after day. So when Malone came, it was a breath of fresh air. The day two-a-days ended, we knew then and there that every team we played that year were writing checks their asses couldn't cash. And by the way, we didn't lose to WO-S that year, we just ran out of time ;).

PNGfan

100+ Posts
pngfan1 said:
pngfan93 said:
pngfan1 said:

Very good point, playing in the larger class probably had a lot to do with 1 - 9 in '88. With the talent coming(regardless of what the people on other boards think), I believe the right coach can make the transition fairly painless.I just look at how Craig Stump brought West Brook from joke of Beaumont to State power pretty quick.I must honestly say we are far better off now than West Brook was before Stump, so just maybe.

WB was down for a couple of years when Rabb was head coach, but they weren't a joke of Beaumont. In the early 90's when I was there our varsity was 20-2 in two years, and dominated everyone in this area including #1 4A team WOS 34-7, Yates, Deer Park, Booker T. Washington, along with other high powered teams back then with a handful of D-1 prospects. Three players from our team went pro, and a bunch played D-1 football. It goes back to the cycle of talent in each age group. This was done at the end of the career of good coach with Rabb being the OC.

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
One thing for certain. If PNGISD is going to hire one of the best, they had better be prepaired to pay them like ...one of the best. I don't know how Burnett's salary compares to others around the state, but, just like Ned, we're going to have to pony up, if we're going to be attractive to the top coaches.
Just my 2 cents.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores