The Head Coach Speculation Thread

squaw

1,000+ Posts
Whodat said:
Why in the heck would you take that as an insult if you aren't one?
I am WHAT? A Burnett burner? You evidently don't know who you're talking to! Matt and Brad and Riley and their wives are all very good friends. Talk about bitter----its a done deal, now let it go! Dang!
Matt has. Let's concentrate on getting the best coach to replace him that we can find.

mdog

I believe Mike Long would be a perfect fit for the Indians. He has the expertise as a head coach and the knowledge to recognize talent and develope it. He is an offensive minded coach and has shown his style of play to the reservation and provided some very good and competitive teams with very few players at Kelly. Coach Long can and will be able to make the needed adjustments to the existing coaching staff to place them in positions to coach to their strengths and not to just fill a spot. Long will be in it for the LONG haul and won't use PNG as a stepping stone.

Some of the names everyone is throwing around would love to come to PNG, but will they be willing to stay here? Why would they just drag up from the position they have if things were going so well? Is this showing dedication to a program? You are saying to yourself "Isn't this what Long is doing to Kelly". I know that Long only left PNG so he could coach his style of football and not be held back. He has always wanted to return to PNG and lead this program and build it back to where it once was. Ther have been several good coaches leave the program, ever ask why?

TravelingNDN

Does anybody know much about the Satcher guy on the other threads? It said he played under Malone. Talk about a coach who rocked the system and made things happen. He took a 1-8 team and made them into a 12-2 machine. Thats the kind of candidate we need. Someone who can bring something different to PNG. Mike Long would be a good coach but would not bring anything that the midcounty schools havent already seen. We need a young up and comer that still has fire in his gut. Look at what Muschamp has done with UT. I still think we need a defensive minded coach because if your defense sucks you offense doesnt get to play to much in this league.

19cherokee90

I think Long is over rated... what he did here was great and all...but he had his son carrying his weight. Since not coaching Dustin he hasnt been very succesful. he applied for the HC job in LCM last year and the "other" guy got it....we all saw what the other guy did this year with LCM. i think Kelly won 2 games this year??? Mike Long isnt as wonderful as people think. Don't mistake Dustin at PNG for Mike at PNG.

David Satcher is where it's at...this guy would be like hiring Mike Leach of Texas Tech to come take over at PNG. David played defensive end under Malone and went on to play and coach at the college level. I know both of these guys....no comparison...David takes the prize everytime.

modmouse78

100+ Posts
19cherokee90 said:
I think Long is over rated... what he did here was great and all...but he had his son carrying his weight. Since not coaching Dustin he hasnt been very succesful. he applied for the HC job in LCM last year and the "other" guy got it....we all saw what the other guy did this year with LCM. i think Kelly won 2 games this year??? Mike Long isnt as wonderful as people think. Don't mistake Dustin at PNG for Mike at PNG.

David Satcher is where it's at...this guy would be like hiring Mike Leach of Texas Tech to come take over at PNG. David played defensive end under Malone and went on to play and coach at the college level. I know both of these guys....no comparison...David takes the prize everytime.

Well, of course you do. You stated on another post that Satcher is like family. It is obvious that no matter who's name is thrown in, you are going to try and find something wrong with that person so you can get your "family" in here. Yes, Dustin was a great qb, but where do you think he learned it from? I understand the part about wanting to get someone from outside the area, but that doesn't mean we just write off people like Mike. I am not saying they shouldn't consider your man, i am just saying they should consider everyone. Mdog made some good points about people leaving their current jobs. Personally, i don't have a favorite. I will support whoever gets the job and will still go to as many games as i can every year to cheer on the boys.

squaw

1,000+ Posts
I agree with you, Mod, but have to point out that both Sacher and Heldeuser are PNG grads and therefore not from out of town. I personally want someone from out of town, but will also support anyone that gets hired. This will make next year SO exciting that I can hardly wait. Now, if we could get the band to play Cherokee correctly..........

19cherokee90

modmouse78 said:
19cherokee90 said:

Well, of course you do. You stated on another post that Satcher is like family. It is obvious that no matter who's name is thrown in, you are going to try and find something wrong with that person so you can get your "family" in here. Yes, Dustin was a great qb, but where do you think he learned it from? I understand the part about wanting to get someone from outside the area, but that doesn't mean we just write off people like Mike. I am not saying they shouldn't consider your man, i am just saying they should consider everyone. Mdog made some good points about people leaving their current jobs. Personally, i don't have a favorite. I will support whoever gets the job and will still go to as many games as i can every year to cheer on the boys.

Your wrong here...yes I am excited for David to have this opportunity...but bottom line....my kids will probably play for whoever they hire...so by all means best man for the job. I like Mike Long...I think he would do a decent job and maybe better. But bottom line..their resumes arent even in the same filing cabinet. Look at them side by side and you cant compair them. David is young , smart, and has paid his does at the college level and high school level and SUCCESFULLY I might add. EVERYTHING he has done to this point has been to prepair him for this exact opportunity. When ya throw all else out....no matter who played at PNG...who knows who....who understands PNG and all that....so far out of all names being thrown around in my opinion Satcher is the best fit with the best and brightest resume and future.

So..anyhow..your wrong..I would be "OK" with Mike Long and so far he is probably my second pick but i just know with Satcher our community and kids would be getting gauranteed excellence. If you'd do some deep research you'd probably discover the same.

19cherokee90

haha...nope just different views...hey we do still live in America right?? im all for somebody thinking something different than me...more power to em.

badndn

500+ Posts
Satcher is obviously a good coach, but to say his resume is better than any of the others that have been thrown out there is ridiculous.

The guy may become a great head coach somewhere, maybe here, but:

Alvarez has extensive HC experience and has turned KVille around into a legit 3A state contender and now this year a 2A powerhouse.
Credeur has taken the Raiders to new heights as a HC.
Even Long has had a couple good years at Kelly since he left and he did coach that high powered offense that went to state (which is the same argument you are making for Satcher).

The point is these candidates have had HC success. I wouldn't be dissapointed with Satcher and would support him 100% if he was the man and maybe he could become our Todd Dodge or Jeff Traylor (Gilmer), but to argue that he has the best resume???

modmouse78

100+ Posts
My kids will probably play for this coach also. So, if they were to hire your man, 19cherokee90, who would he make oc and what would he do with the rest of the coaches?

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
There are a lot of good coordinators out there that would love to have a shot at the PNG job. Given the high profile of the PNG position, and the expectations of the community and alumni, I would look for a coach that has been in this situation before and proven himself. If it came down to a few qualified coaches, and his expertise is offense, or he can bring along a proven OC, that would be a huge positive.

The Indians seem to already have a good DC on staff.

akifan94

500+ Posts
modmouse78 said:
My kids will probably play for this coach also. So, if they were to hire your man, 19cherokee90, who would he make oc and what would he do with the rest of the coaches?

Bully

prepballfan

There's No Place Like The Reservation Friday Night
Staff member
I looked all over the internet last night I did not find our HC job listed anywere on any sight. I guess they have not posted it yet.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores