5A DII State Championship Game

bandkid

Staff member
SOC's best offensive performances all appear to have come against weak teams. Their offense wasn't nearly as productive in pre-district against the 6A schools, and hasn't been as productive in the playoffs, as it was during district play in a fairly weak district. I have full confidence in our defense to manage their offense.

It's the SOC defense that they really seem to hang their hat on, and it is very good. This is probably the best defense we've seen all year. Easily as good as Memorial and Fort Bend Marshall. The question coming into this game is how well we'll be able to move the ball.

I have faith in our coaches and our team to come up with a strong game plan. They'll find a way to win this.

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
I hope we win of course, but let's not think this game is a gimme...SOC lost to 6A powerhouses Duncanville & Desoto who are both in the finals as well plus Lancaster who lost to a good Frisco Reedy team who got knocked off in the playoffs 5a D1 playoffs by Longview. Regardless of the outcome, we made it to the ship again!
I expect a close, low scoring game similar to their game against Argyle, as both teams will probably have trouble moving the ball against the other. One turnover or other major mistake from either team could make the difference. One big play from either team could also do it. Of course, I hope things do not play out this way. Hopefully our defense holds them to 14 points or less but our offense finds ways to move the ball and scores a lot more than 14. We are certainly capable of doing both of those things. However, I think a low scoring game for both teams is more likely. In any case, I think our formula for success remains the same as it has been this whole season: Run the ball well, execute a few big pass plays like we have in each of the last few games, play relatively mistake free on offense, defense, and special teams, and do all of those things for a full 4 Quarters. IMO if we do those things we win the game regardless of the precise score. If not, all bets are off. I am confident that our coaching staff will have our kids ready. We just have to execute well and never let up.

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
What I have noticed is they have no kicking game and special teams. QB looks every time at his intended receiver before the snap and locks on the whole time. His mechanics look weak and is erratic. DL looks tough to me especially #80. Our OL will have control this guy. Go Indians.
A couple of big plays in the kicking game or other aspects of the ST could make the difference, as could an INT or two by our defense. Provided, of course, we also avoid any turnovers or other major mistakes.

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
The way Cole plays will also be a key to the game, and this will in a turn be dependent on how well we can protect him. In 1999 Dustin had one of his worst games of the season in the championship game, and IMO this was largely due to two related factors: (1) He rarely had any time to pass and (2) we placed a bit too much emphasis on the passing game when we were actually having more success with the running game. I don’t think we will make the second mistake against SOC, but when we do pass we need to give him time to do so and he needs to be on point with his accuracy. If we have a REALLY good day with the passing game I could see it opening up the running game even more and increasing both our chances of winning and our potential margin of victory (once again assuming we also play relatively mistake free and keep our foot on the gas for a full 4 Quarters).

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
What I have noticed is they have no kicking game and special teams. QB looks every time at his intended receiver before the snap and locks on the whole time. His mechanics look weak and is erratic. DL looks tough to me especially #80. Our OL will have control this guy. Go Indians.
SOC will probably come hard on the edges with the DE and blitz those all star linebackers. Crippen will need to get rid of the ball fast.

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
As mentioned on the SETXSPORTS.COM messagboard I hope the PN-G coaches will enforce Article 5 of the NCAA rulebook that prevents South Oak Cliff from wearing the MECCA uniforms...it'll cost them 15 yards and time outs if they do
Tell me about that please.

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
SOC will probably come hard on the edges with the DE and blitz those all star linebackers. Crippen will need to get rid of the ball fast.
If they take this approach, short passes may work better than longer ones. If we can execute those well, we may even get behind those speedy LBs. Unfortunately, we have not used those types much this year. Hopefully, our coaches are thinking this through.

rodney12345678

100+ Posts
If they take this approach, short passes may work better than longer ones. If we can execute those well, we may even get behind those speedy LBs. Unfortunately, we have not used those types much this year. Hopefully, our coaches are thinking this through.
some screen passes to slow them down

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
It would be good if some of our players could talk to some of the players on the 75 team. I knew several of those guys personally and can attest that prior to the championship game they had exactly the right mixture of confidence, motivation, and respect for their opponents. IMO one’s state of mind is exceptionally important in these types of high stress situations and can trump many other factors.

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
PNG version of Sugar Crisp song (for those of you old enough to remember the original version): “Can’t get enough of those IN-DI-ANS, IN-DI-ANS, IN-DI-ANS. Can’t get enough of those IN-DI-ANS, they keep me going strong!”

BEAT THE BEARS!!

rodney12345678

100+ Posts
PNG version of Sugar Crisp song (for those of you old enough to remember the original version): “Can’t get enough of those IN-DI-ANS, IN-DI-ANS, IN-DI-ANS. Can’t get enough of those IN-DI-ANS, they keep me going strong!”
dont remember that i must not be old enough lol

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
I've watched. Dissected. Everything I can find on SOC. My conclusion is... Discipline, heart, grit and effort will win this game. Our boys will take home the W. I'm confident.
It won’t be easy, but most accomplishments worth anything are not easy. We can do it!!

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores