5A DII State Championship Game

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Mart made the same mistake we made once in Jr High
When they won the toss they said they wanted to kick
(Instead of defer) so they kicked off both halves
Most refs won’t allow you to make that mistake some will.
I remember Ozen doing that against us one year. Pretty funny. Bad coaching

90NDN

500+ Posts
That's just plain dumb...everyone knows when you say you want to kick, that you mean you want to the ball in the second half first.

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
That's just plain dumb...everyone knows when you say you want to kick, that you mean you want to the ball in the second half first.
But if you SAY you want to kick rather than defer some refs will take you at what you say
I was in the captain group when our teammate said “we want to kick”
Ref said
Do you want to kick or defer?
He said kick.
“Are you sure”?
Lol so that’s how it happens

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
I also saw it once happen like this

The captain was told if they LOST the toss to pick a side to defend
So they lost it the other team deferred the second team picked a side then first team elected to take the ball

90NDN

500+ Posts
But if you SAY you want to kick rather than defer some refs will take you at what you say
I was in the captain group when our teammate said “we want to kick”
Ref said
Do you want to kick or defer?
He said kick.
“Are you sure”?
Lol so that’s how it happens
I hear what your saying, but either way, no team in their right mind would want to kick twice vs receiving once and kicking once. That is just being very picky on interpreting what was said.

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
The more I learn about SOC, the more I become convinced that (1) This could turn out to be a very tough game, mostly due to their defense and (2) It is definitely winnable provided that we have a good game plan, execute well for a full 4 quarters, and don’t make any major mistakes. One thing I have noticed is that although they have put on a good showing against some outstanding teams, they have also had some close games against mediocre teams, including in the playoffs. This could mean that they have a tendency to be overconfident, and if they make this mistake against us we need to pounce on them early like we have against several other teams in the playoffs. However, they have also shown the ability to make big plays when it counts, so we can’t let up at any time on either offense or defense. IMO the keys to the game will be to (1) limit their scoring as much as possible, (2) run the ball well (consistency will be as important as making big gains), (3) complete a few big pass plays at timely points in the game and (4) avoid any TOs or other major mistakes. If we are successful in those areas I think we come back with the trophy.

NDNTime

1,000+ Posts
It’s time!!! I had Cherokee playing all morning during breakfast. Time to hit the road, check in to the hotel, and head to Jerry World for some “purple and white on a field of green, prettiest sight you have ever seen.”

prepballfan

There's No Place Like The Reservation Friday Night
Staff member
As I sit here in my hotel room trying to wrap my mind around the Indians playing for a state championship its so surreal to me. I am so proud of our team, coaches, former coaches, and the awesome community not just Port Neches, and Groves but Nederland, Port Arthur, bridge City, Orangefied, WOS, Vidor, BMT Schools, the other schools in our district. SETX is really supporting us and I really appreciate it.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
If the PN-G crowd shows up, there will be 50,000+ at the 7:00 p.m. kick-off. You can feel the buzz here in Arlington. SOC will bring 20,000 - 25,000. If PN-G does likewise and the crowds from the 11:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. games stay over, it will be a record crowd. I've seen some purple here in the parking lot already. This could be day to remember. You can feel it. Go Indians.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Nice to have local support but there is nothing like PNG alumni across the state and people within town following their football team.

NHSBulldogFan

If the PN-G crowd shows up, there will be 50,000+ at the 7:00 p.m. kick-off. You can feel the buzz here in Arlington. SOC will bring 20,000 - 25,000. If PN-G does likewise and the crowds from the 11:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. games stay over, it will be a record crowd. I've seen some purple here in the parking lot already. This could be day to remember. You can feel it. Go Indians.
Don't forget the town on the other side of the tracks...we're here undercover

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Don't forget the town on the other side of the tracks...we're here undercover
You mean our brothers from another mother? Lot of PNG grads in Nederland and Nederland grads in PN and G. And various other towns too. As prepballfan said, all support appreciated.

bandkid

Staff member
I have it confirmed from a former high school coach from Waco attending all the games today that PN-G fans started pouring into AT&T Stadium for the 11 AM game. At first, he thought they were fans of Boerne, whose game kicks off at 3 PM and also wear purple, but he realized when he got closer to the clumps of purple fans at various locations in the stadium that they were PN-G fans.

I’ve spoken with multiple fans making the trip. We’ve caused traffic jams all up and down IH-45, IH-10, US 287 and Highway 105. The jams have been described to me as “hundreds of cars.” PN-G fans apparently took over the Buc-ee’s stores in Baytown, Madisonville and Waxahachie.

I just checked into my hotel. I’m staying near DFW International. My folks intentionally chose a hotel farther from the stadium because they want to shop in Fort Worth tomorrow. I didn’t expect to see anyone from PN-G here. I’ve spotted three different carloads of PN-G fans in the parking lot.

Folks, we’re taking back the attendance record tonight. And we’re bringing home that damn championship trophy, too.

Last edited:

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores