Brenham Cubs at Port Neches-Groves Indians Friday Nov. 10th 7 PM.

100+ Posts
We're ok with the rain, and will practice thus.
When you're ranked 5, or 3, you keep doing what you've been doing well, plus have a surprise or two. A play with a new or different pass receiver or passer, a fake punt, a reverse, who knows, but it'll be something unexpected.
The intensity will be there.
WRT the Dogs, I hope they bounce back from the TC game and take LC by surprise. WRT TC, we very well may play them again in a few weeks.

Davidp43

100+ Posts
Brenham is no slouch. They took it straight to Lake Creek running for over 240 yards and throwing for nearly 150. The difference in this ball game was that Brenham turned it over 3X, all 3 were interceptions. Other than that, the game was 100% even. Brenham could have easily walked away with the win.

We are going to have to come out focused and execute EVERY. SINGLE. PLAY. From here on out, its either win or we'll see you next August. I want to see 6 more games before the "see you next August" comes into play.
Brenham rb is a big freshman

bandkid

Staff member
Guys, we’re from Jefferson County, Texas. If you’re asking me to pick between a Golden Triangle team and a Hill Country team in a waterlogged game, give me the Golden Triangle team any day of the week.

I hope there’s plenty of Blue Bell at the concession stand when we all end up waiting under the stands for 45 minutes. :D

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
One big positive for 2023 is the PNG secondary is proficient at intercepting passes. If that Brenham quarterback is int prone, the Cubs will be in trouble.

That was a key factor for the 1977 state finalist team success. An incredible secondary led by 6’6” safety Robert DeRutte and crew were ball hawks that stopped a lot of drives and posessions. I think they had something like 20+ ints that year.

bandkid

Staff member
One big positive for 2023 is the PNG secondary is proficient at intercepting passes. If that Brenham quarterback is int prone, the Cubs will be in trouble.

That was a key factor for the 1977 state finalist team success. An incredible secondary led by 6’6” safety Robert DeRutte and crew were ball hawks that stopped a lot of drives and posessions. I think they had something like 20+ ints that year.
To your point, I counted three interceptions against Nederland. When was the last time that happened in Mid-County Madness?

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
To your point, I counted three interceptions against Nederland. When was the last time that happened in Mid-County Madness?
The interceptions this year are at a pace not seen in years. Good pressure by a strong d line, great blitz schemes, and good coaching and play by the d backs that put them in the right place.

This looks and feels like the best defense at PNG in years.

Davidp43

100+ Posts
The interceptions this year are at a pace not seen in years. Good pressure by a strong d line, great blitz schemes, and good coaching and play by the d backs that put them in the right place.

This looks and feels like the best defense at PNG in years.
The only thing i wish they had was a hard hitting safety that put fear in wrs that came across the middle like gohlke

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
Which at first I thought would ruin football
But I think it was a good rule change
Even “clean” hits are called
The rule is now
(Under my summary) if it’s too hard they’re going to call it
Also it’s hard to make those big hits WITHOUT it being targeting
When I watched a tribute to Ronnie Lott
EVERY SINGLE tackle they showed on the highlight film was illegal not even a discussion

But definitely would be an asset

Davidp43

100+ Posts
Which at first I thought would ruin football
But I think it was a good rule change
Even “clean” hits are called
The rule is now
(Under my summary) if it’s too hard they’re going to call it
Also it’s hard to make those big hits WITHOUT it being targeting
When I watched a tribute to Ronnie Lott
EVERY SINGLE tackle they showed on the highlight film was illegal not even a discussion

But definitely would be an asset
Yea i know almost impossible, but i take that 15 yard flag as a statement. That hit against Lamarque in the dome made a statement and changed the game

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Not to overlook Brenham, but what are we thinking about the rest of our region?

On paper, Lake Creek looks like our most significant competition for the regional title. That said, I’m reminded of another undefeated Montgomery team that was supposed to whip the Indians a few years back and got the shock of its life in the playoffs.

I think Texas City deserves to be ranked in the DCTF Top 10. It wouldn’t surprise me if we met them again. Marshall seems to be very Jekyll-and-Hyde this year. I don’t expect them to make much noise in the playoffs, but I don’t want to prematurely assume the monster is dead, either.
Agreed. FB Marshall and Texas City are both to be respected. FBM can never be counted out until the 'horizontally challenged person' sings.

Indian99

500+ Posts
We had 3 picks against Nederland in 1999. Nederland was undefeated at the time and we beat them in the last game of the season to be “Co” District Champs.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (4-0)
vs.
Huntsville Hornets (3-1)

Friday, Oct. 4, 7:00PM

Huntsville ISD Stadium, Huntsville, TX

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores