Coaching Position

Cherokee Born

The budgets include a mixture of salaries, instructional materials, capital outlay, all sorts of stuff. It must be broken down to understand. This is an extremely boring report to read, but a very important one. Go to http://www.lbb.state.tx.us and click on PNGISD "Review of the Curriculum Management System" March 2009. It really needs to be read very closely, but on page 15, "For 2006-07 the district budgeted $130,900 for curriculum representing less than one Percent of all instructional and instructional-relating spending. For 2007-08 the curriculum budget was $181,000." (continue reading to EFA local board policy). "The policy states that although trained staff members are afforded the freedom to select instructional resources...the ultimate authority for determining and approving the curriculum and instructional program of the district lies with the board........(continue reading)...policies are not in place that provide common standards for what is to be taught, how it is to be presented in written form, and/or how it should be evaluated." The report states several times throughout that "PNGISD PNGISD LACKS A CURRICULUM MANAGEMENT GUIDE TO LONG-TERM PLANNING" and "PNGISD DOES NOT CONSISTENTLY USE STUDENT PERFORMANCE DATA TO INFORM CURRICULUM DECISIONS "(p. 27) and on 2nd column on page 27 "there is no evidence that the process for development of these curriculum materials was based on analysis of PNGISD performance data, resulting in a curriculum that lacks alignment with student needs AND STATE REQUIREMENTS." Also, blocked in bold, " PNGISD'S CURRENT ORGANIZATIONAL STRUCTURE INHIBITS ADEQUATE ADMINISTRATIVE SUPPORT OF THE DISTRICT'S CURRICULA EFFORTS." "PNGISD LACKS A FORMAL PROCESS FOR MONITORING CURRICULA IMPLEMENTATION. Any of you that want, can read on pages 13-14 of the various programs that the district could have used for tracking student performance but had various excuses. This should have started being implemented this past year of 2009-2010; whether it has or how much, I don't know, but this negative report could very well have a bearing on the exits of Randall and Curl. Unless you have worked in an actual financial setting with PNGISD, it is impossible to interpret what is released as their budget. THAT IS WHY READING THIS REPORT IS SO IMPORTANT AS IT SHOWS ONLY ONE REASON WHY SO MANY TEACHERS ARE UPSET AND IT SHOWS THE INEQUALITY OF BUDGETING AND PROPER TRAINING OF STAFF. THE TOTAL FIGURES MEAN NOTHING!!! YOU MUST SEE A BREAK-DOWN AND THIS IS WHAT THIS AUDIT TEAM DID. HOW MANY OF YOU KNEW ABOUT THE REPORT?? AND, I'M SURE THAT MOST OF YOU HAVE HEARD NEGATIVE COMMENTS ABOUT PNGISD JUST TEACHING "TEKS." NOW YOU SHOULD SEE WHY CLASSROOM TEACHERS ARE SO DISHEARTENED.

PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ATHLETICS!!! THE OVERALL BUDGET (AS JUST PUBLISHED MEAN ABSOLUTELY NOTHING UNLESS IT IS BROKEN DOWN ITEM BY ITEM. THE GENERAL PUBLIC NEVER SEES THE COMPLETE BUDGET.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Pointing out athletics is meant to put to rest the ridiculous opinions that an inadequate amount of money is spent on athletics.
And of course the high level budget numbers means something.

Cherokee Born

In reference to Torino's 99% is not education, the answer is of course, NO, that is not what is meant. BUT the curriculum and its alignment in keeping with State guidelines is necessary in order to order CORRECT instructional materials, teach correctly, etc.

That is why it is important to read that terribly BORING report. It explains all of that. To those truly interested in what is going on in our district READ IT THOROUGHLY. NOT MY BRIEF MESSAGE BUT THE 32-PAGE REPORT.

ndnsrock44

100+ Posts
allstarmom said:
Uhm, don't know where you have been, but Coach Stone's position has been filled. I am not saying that jobs shouldn't be filled. I AM saying that it is fiscally responsible for anyone to ask question and/or table discussions for a further meeting if there are any questions. AND, if we the people and the board are being misinformed as to what is going on in the district, maybe an investigation needs to take place as to why! Unfortunately we can't call for any such investigation and neither can the board.
OldEagle said:
OK, Coach Stone's position (head varsity baseball coach) has been filled but now Coach Bevel's (sp?) position (asst varsity baseball coach) needs to be filled.
You are correct Oldeagle. Coach Brevell already was on staff, so therfeore in effect, Coach Stone's position on the staff needs to be filled. I don't know where you have been either allstarmom, maybe you should have been with me and i could have explained it to you.

ingainerYYZ

100+ Posts
Allstarmom doesn`t seem to know where people are looking or where they have been but let`s get one thing straight ................ everyone deserves a raise ! However , png82 aka attackpandn ( sp ) is tired of paying high tax`s and having those same high tax`s increased. This is the state of the economy. I have friends that work at local industrial sites that did not receive a raise two years ago. Everyone is being squeezed. :angry:

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Salary freezes are very common. Several years and counting at my company... :thumbsdown:

These days even teachers are lucky to have a good job. Houston metro districts are cutting back including the 3rd largest district in the state that is growing 5,000+ students per year.

bandkid

Staff member
Cherokee Born said:
In reference to Torino's 99% is not education, the answer is of course, NO, that is not what is meant. BUT the curriculum and its alignment in keeping with State guidelines is necessary in order to order CORRECT instructional materials, teach correctly, etc.

That is why it is important to read that terribly BORING report. It explains all of that. To those truly interested in what is going on in our district READ IT THOROUGHLY. NOT MY BRIEF MESSAGE BUT THE 32-PAGE REPORT.

Alright, Cherokee Born, I see what you're saying, but let's think for a moment. We may not be implementing curriculum within state guidelines, but we're obviously doing something right. PN-GISD is a recognized district and all PN-G schools are performing at recognized or exemplary levels according to last year's TEA accountability report. We may not be doing things the state's way, but we're more than meeting the state's accountability standards (and let's face it; maybe the fact that we're not doing things the way the state wants us to is why we're performing so well).

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
The average of 15+ years experience might also be a major factor. Experienced teachers need much less direction than a less experienced one, and probably know what works best for their kids. And I agree, the state mandated curriculum is not exactly a model plan.

Cherokee Born

Band Kid, sorry but you really need to read and understand the State Board report. The reason the school is "recognized" (at one point in past years it was exemplary) is BECAUSE THE MAIN TOOL OF TEACHING IS THE TEKS! And that is one of the complaints of the audit team's report of March 2009. That is how these rating are determined! But, there is not proper curriculum at every grade and tools for student performance are not being used. YOU HAVE PULLED OUT ONLY WHAT IS PUBLISHED FROM THE TEKS SCORES ALONE. No one has said the TEKS scores aren't "okay" but that is NOT what you base a school's performance and accreditation on.

ONCE AGAIN, READ THE REPORT BEFORE YOU TRY TO PULL OUT ONE SENTENCE THAT REALLY HAS NO BEARING ON THE DISTRICT'S EFFECTIVENESS. IF YOU ARE TAUGHT THE SAME THINGS OVER AND OVER AGAIN, OF COURSE ONE SHOULD SCORE WELL ON THE TEKS BUT THAT IS NOT THE REASON FOR THE AUDIT BY A STATE BOARD.

bandkid

Staff member
IndianFan said:
The average of 15+ years experience might also be a leading indicator. Experienced teachers need much less direction than a less experienced one. And I agree, the state mandated curriculum is not exactly a model plan.

That's exactly my point. Every single teacher I have had in high school has made a comment at some point either about how they think that TEKS is a poor curriculum or about how they wish the state would stop being so invasive and "revive local control of education."

Cherokee Born

The report is not referring to instructional materials within a Curriculum guide, it is referring to curriculum alignment and a method that proves student needs and state requirements are actually being met from kindergarten through graduation. I gave y'all the site so you could read and understand, but it is just easier to make all-encompassing remarks because that is what is heard. Y'all have asked for facts. Now you've been given facts. The bottom line is that guidelines have been given to PNG to straighten out their problems (NOT Teks scores; NOT athletics). This has to be done by the superintendent, asst. superintendent, and directors with the support of the Board.

Obviously, this report was not published in local newspapers, but it was sent to all board members and these problems are expected to be corrected. I am simply trying to let people on this board know that there are MAJOR educational issues to deal with other than some of the things that are posted here. WE HAVE A NUMBER ONE FOOTBALL TEAM. WE DO NOT HAVE THE BEST AREA SCORES ON TEKS, WE DO NOT HAVE A GOOD REPORT ON TOP ADMINISTRATORS AND THEIR DECISIONS OR LACK OF DECISIONS.

Read the report! If you don't understand it, try to find someone who can explain it in simple terms!

bandkid

Staff member
Cherokee Born said:
Band Kid, sorry but you really need to read and understand the State Board report. The reason the school is "recognized" (at one point in past years it was exemplary) is BECAUSE THE MAIN TOOL OF TEACHING IS THE TEKS! And that is one of the complaints of the audit team's report of March 2009. That is how these rating are determined! But, there is not proper curriculum at every grade and tools for student performance are not being used. YOU HAVE PULLED OUT ONLY WHAT IS PUBLISHED FROM THE TEKS SCORES ALONE. No one has said the TEKS scores aren't "okay" but that is NOT what you base a school's performance and accreditation on.

ONCE AGAIN, READ THE REPORT BEFORE YOU TRY TO PULL OUT ONE SENTENCE THAT REALLY HAS NO BEARING ON THE DISTRICT'S EFFECTIVENESS. IF YOU ARE TAUGHT THE SAME THINGS OVER AND OVER AGAIN, OF COURSE ONE SHOULD SCORE WELL ON THE TEKS BUT THAT IS NOT THE REASON FOR THE AUDIT BY A STATE BOARD.

You're correct, we have achieved exemplary status within the last ten years. We've also achieved academically acceptable status in the last ten years. In fact, last year's accountability report showed that each individual school either improved or maintained an already high level of performance (excluding PNMS). Funny how this report accuses the district of failing to effectively implement the state curriculum in the same year that PN-GISD achieves recognized status and shows nearly universal improvement.

Funny, also, that this improvement was achieved under the guidance of Dr. Randall, Mr. Curl, and the previous school board.

Frankly, as a current student of Port Neches-Groves High School, a person with numerous friends in other districts that participates in various forms of academic competition and sees exactly what better-funded, more compliant districts and schools have to offer, and someone with personal experience with our teachers' curricula, I don't see very many problems in PN-GISD (and certainly none with our district meeting student needs or our curriculum and the implementation thereof), regardless of what TEA has to say.

Cherokee Born

All this serious stuff is giving me a headache!!! Hopefully, the board and new supt. will take care of THOSE kinds of problems!

LET'S ENJOY THE UPCOMING FOOTBALL SEASON. I KNOW THAT EVERYONE ON THIS BOARD IS TRULY "CHEROKEE BORN "(OR RE-BORN) OR WE WOULDN'T BE INTERESTED ENOUGH TO BE ON HERE.

GO INDIANS!!!

ingainerYYZ

100+ Posts
LOL ! :woot: Cherokeeborn you are correct ............ lots of info. :crazy: My hat is off to you & bandkid for being able to dissect all of it in a short time. And I also agree with ..... let`s just be happy football season is around the corner , we have a HC ( BF ) that has brought the winning tradition back , the kids are excited , the fans are excited , the communities are excited , and our neighboring rival is worried. Life is good and I think the whole reason that any of this discussion got started is that INDIAN fans are excited and want to support BF in this endeavor. This is not true for everyone , so I just want to emphasize to all in INDIAN nation .................... please keep a close watch on what happens. BF is the best thing :guns: to happen to PNGISD in a long time .

mdog

To get back to topic, Did I miss the answer of who got the coaching position or was it never answered?

ndnsrock44

100+ Posts
mdog said:
To get back to topic, Did I miss the answer of who got the coaching position or was it never answered?
His name is Roland Garza and he is a PNG grad...Don't know any details on him or his coaching background.

ingainerYYZ

100+ Posts
I keep hearing the name Brian Cates ? So where does he fit in ? I understand he was the head coach at Central MS in Nederland and gave that up to come here . Can anyone shed light on this ? :huh:

ingainerYYZ

100+ Posts
Coach Shake is the HC @ PNMS , and he is a good one . So his two assistants are Cates & Garza ? Because they moved Gassen to GMS , right ?

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores