Future of PN-G Football

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
With the naming of Jeff Joseph as the new AD/HC of PN-G, the Indian nation now begins to excitedly look forward to what changes will take place. With his background and influence of Westlake, A&M and Southlake Carrol football, the potential is great.

No guarantee that Jeff Joseph will try to clone Katy's schemes, he has also been exposed to Dodgeball as in Todd and Riley Dodge for a number of years. I suspect he will see what he has here and adapt because there will not be the size and quantity of players that attend Katy, Southlake Carrol and Westlake. A good coach matches scheme to his players strengths. And that can change year to year.

But here's some background on Katy Tigers football. It's just fun reading. Not a preview of anything.

DEFENSE
Gary Joseph is a defensive oriented head coach. The 'Katy 3-4' defense is well known for shutting down even spread offenses. Maybe some of the approach will make its way to Port Neches. Rather than attempting to summarize, here's a great article to enjoy. https://matchquarters.com/2018/11/02/the-katy-hs-hybrid-3-4/

OFFENSE
I found a good article explaining the Katy offense that I'll share when I come across it again. Katy's offense is built on an annual abundance of big, élite offensive lineman. They also play big tight ends that can block. Power I is their formation of choice with a blocking fullback. They usually have at least one elite running back who plays tailback. They typically have average to above average QBs and throw the ball when they need to. Katy High is all about ball control and keeping the other team off the field. Sounds like PNG of the 70s.

akifan94

500+ Posts
Look for a strong Katy influence on the defense. For the most part Texas HS football has gone the way of the spread or power spread. I would think we will see a variation of the power spread. Spread it out and focus on the run game to setup the passing.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Fans often don’t realize that there are few things new under the sun. What seemed revolutionary in the beginning becomes common place. Veer, wishbone, spread, etc, or a combination of until someone tweaks it into a ‘new’ look. Ronnie Thompson was on the cutting edge of the spread, and Todd Dodge benefited from that as the QB. Dodge then took that concept to even greater heights. But now he will comment that everyone runs it.

But some do it a heck of a lot better than others.

Jeff Joseph might do well to consider keeping the scheme here in place and tweaking that. At least with this senior team coming up who will make some noise in 2022. But those guys are the professionals and will do what they consider best. The OC will be a very interesting indicator of the future approach.

Hopefully the Joseph family coaching network will bring in a top DC unless Woodard decides to stay and is deemed the best option to continue with. That is the most exciting prospect of this transition. The arm tackling, limited aggression, being out of position and other technique issues can be corrected and make a huge difference.

IndianTaxPayer

100+ Posts
Great observations. PN-G did run the power I from 1973 through the early the late 90s, but to your point opponent size in general was less. The emphasis and strength of those PN-G offenses was technique, execution, effort, conditioning and heart. The opponent knew what was coming but often couldn't stop it. Football comes down to 1-1 matchups and winning the battle against the man in front of you. There was no fear in going against larger players back in those days. It was just another challenge to conquer. You just kept pounding on them until they were worn out.

The Indians will field an offensive line next season that averages probably 6-2 260+ pounds. It will be a good one.

Some of the keys to this defense improving is better strength conditioning and cardio training during the offseason, game planning and game adjustment, staying in position and covering responsibility, tackling with authority.

Do you think any of those Offensive Lineman will be used to stack that "3" in the 3-4 Defense? I know if the upcoming (Sophomore) QB has the same ability and talent as next years Senior QB that I could put 15 to 20 pounds on, he would be moved to weakside position in "4" of the 3-4 on Defense. He needs those 15 to 20 pounds for college football as QB anyway. Then I would have multiple years to develop a QB as HC.

The biggest difference about the type of football from 50 years ago is rules allowed for blocking and types of tackling. You are no longer allowed to stand a defensive Lineman up and have another line assist with a block on the knees.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Do you think any of those Offensive Lineman will be used to stack that "3" in the 3-4 Defense? I know if the upcoming (Sophomore) QB has the same ability and talent as next years Senior QB that I could put 15 to 20 pounds on, he would be moved to weakside position in "4" of the 3-4 on Defense. He needs those 15 to 20 pounds for college football as QB anyway. Then I would have multiple years to develop a QB as HC.

The biggest difference about the type of football from 50 years ago is rules allowed for blocking and types of tackling. You are no longer allowed to stand a defensive Lineman up and have another line assist with a block on the knees.
Definitely. #72 Jansen Ware would make a tremendous defensive lineman. 6-4 260, 4.8 40 as a junior last season. Powerful and quick. Great arm strength to fight off blocks. He would be a perfect fit in the Anchor End position of the 3-4.

Reactions: SMO

IndianTaxPayer

100+ Posts
Definitely. #72 Jansen Ware would make a tremendous defensive lineman. 6-4 260, 4.8 40 as a junior last season. Powerful and quick. Great arm strength to fight off blocks. He would be a perfect fit in the Anchor End position of the 3-4.

LT/DE that needs to learn both sides of the field. Has he been recruited by any colleges?

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts

One per defensive series at least 3-4-5 plays. Why not ?

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
When Reggie McNeal is also second team. Ok we’re dealing with some pretty good players and to have your dad as the coach. Uhuhh

PatsCowboy

IndianFan,

Haven't been around long enough to know when you might be being factious. 6'4"/260, and a legit 4.8? Why isn't this kid a four star or five star? With those numbers I have to believe that Jimbo hasn't already discussed where they want A&M to hide him out prior to signing day. (RC was king of kidnapping, although Scott Hill would dispute that.) Besides that, Saban, Venables, Napier, Linc, Gundy, Sarkisian would all have a coach camped in front of his house. (Sorry, LSU fans, but Kelly is too damn dumb to know where the Sabine River is much less Jefferson County.)

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
IndianFan,

Haven't been around long enough to know when you might be being factious. 6'4"/260, and a legit 4.8? Why isn't this kid a four star or five star? With those numbers I have to believe that Jimbo hasn't already discussed where they want A&M to hide him out prior to signing day. (RC was king of kidnapping, although Scott Hill would dispute that.) Besides that, Saban, Venables, Napier, Linc, Gundy, Sarkisian would all have a coach camped in front of his house. (Sorry, LSU fans, but Kelly is too damn dumb to know where the Sabine River is much less Jefferson County.)
See included News article. Jansen Ware is a beast. Seldom do you see PNG linemen come through with his agility, size, strength and aggression. Great footwork, plays with leverage, great upper body strength to throw opposing players around or send them 5 feet backwards with a press move. He pretty much dominated Texas High’s UT recruit. Also no doubt that he could be a formidable defensive lineman. Does he run a legit 4.8? No clue, I only know what I read.

It's a mystery to me why he isn't more recognized.

HUDL Profile
Jersey #: 72
Position: T
Height & Weight: 6'4" 275lbs
40 Yard Dash: 4.79
Shuttle: 4.3
Vertical: 30
Bench: 285
Squat (lbs): 415
Deadlift (lbs): 495
Clean (lbs): 275
Class of: 2023

Davidp43

100+ Posts
Would like to see him retain Woodward as DC or some capacity on defense. Didn’t get to see what really he could do. Both of them together would be a pretty good combo of influence on D with Katy/Allen ties. Maybe even his cousin would come and add his take on something on D. Just hope brings someone that runs a good O scheme with great understanding of shotgun with a good mix of power run

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
I’ve found there to be a 23.7% chance of accuracy on those sites. Either extremely little information or the parents or players input info themselves. (Or none at all)

Chief1987

With the 3-4 coming a good move would be to move Lofton to nose guard and find a new center. He would be a legit focal point of a 3-4 to go along with what’s returning.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Consistent play and results on film does not lie. He performed at an excellent level even against the top talent he faced in 2021. Functional strength, athleticism, technique and mentality can be advantageous over any weight room number. Ware is one player with ability to help on defense if needed next season. It’s a shame to tear him down based on a bench press number rather than recognize the results he creates on the field.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
I didn’t mean to imply that he was being overly criticized. My mentioning that player was just an example of some great talent on the team that can possibly help in other ways if Coach Joseph sees fit. Everyone keeps saying the best players need to play both ways as needed. He could explode off the ball on defense when needed, whip the opposing o-lineman and get after the QB or make a great tackle. This kid is big, strong, quick and mean.

We’ve had enough contentious conversations over the past couple of months. Let’s talk about positives. And there has been a lot of interesting, great perspectives lately. All is appreciated as we look towards the future.

Davidp43

100+ Posts
I would like to see Rhett Bomar as the OC. He was on the applicant list. Big name to come teach some offense and I would think would really help out qbs. Currently the OC at a Conroe ISD school

IndianTaxPayer

100+ Posts
There was no intent to criticize an individual. The numbers provided on HUDL were being critiqued and mentioned on how those statistics are input.

Strength and Conditioning numbers DO matter when it comes to the attention of college coaches that are recruiting.

Even at the Professional Level Players are still evaluated at the NFL Combine to determine if teams will draft a player in a higher order than they already have determined. Once again, providing proof that Strength and Conditioning matters.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (4-0)
vs.
Huntsville Hornets (3-1)

Friday, Oct. 4, 7:00PM

Huntsville ISD Stadium, Huntsville, TX

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores