IMPORTANT: June 16th School Board Meeting in Groves

ingainerYYZ

100+ Posts
Re: May 12th board meeting in Groves

Torino said:
IndianFan said:
If there are only two board members with an alleged agenda, surely the others can stick together and overrule anything they try to do. That and constant pressure from the community to remind them of the community wishes. There is strength in numbers.

If this is truly going on then those board members are a disgrace to the district that they claim to serve. :thumbsdown:
3 have a clear agenda. 1 votes the way she is told. How can anyone act surprised? Remember the controversy in summer 2010:

Football / Coaching Position
« on: June 23, 2010, 08:35:48 AM »

Quote from: ndnsrock44 on June 22, 2010, 12:09:20 PM

Wow! What an impressive accomplishment! This man is taking us places.(Cowboys Stadium) Our future is so bright we gotta wear shades! 8)

Quote from: ndnsrock44 on June 22, 2010, 12:09:20 PM

Wow! What an impressive accomplishment! This man is taking us places.(Cowboys Stadium) Our future is so bright we gotta wear shades! 8)

Enjoy the “Faircloth Years” while you can.

Last night the PN-G School board voted to reduce the size of the high school coaching staff. This was Joe Cegielski’s coaching position, which became vacant when he was transferred to administration in fall 2009.

Against the recommendation of the Superintendent, HS Principal, and Athletic Director, Rodney Balsamo, Melanie Miller, and Jim Walters voted against allowing the position to remain classroom teacher/coach. Mrs. Broussard stated that she didn’t understand the issue and abstained. Therefore, the motion to fill the coaching vacancy failed on a 3-3-1 vote.

The head football coaching position at Odessa Permian will come open again after the end of the 2011 season. The former Permian offensive coordinator who helped the school post it’s best offensive numbers in its history, revived the PN-G football program, and gained valuable administrative experience as our AD will be a very attractive candidate.

You can take this one to the bank: if he wins an undefeated district championship, achieves a top-10 ranking at the end of the regular season, and is the state “Coach of the Year”--all in his first year--the Odessa ISD school board will not reward him by reducing the size of the coaching staff.

It’s true, as some of the opposing board members said last night—or in the case of Mrs. Miller just nodded a lot when Balsamo and Walters spoke—that we did get by for most of the past school year without the coaching position. That is true, and under ordinary circumstances it might be worth a try. However, it was mentioned that more freshman are expected to participate in athletics next year than the freshman did this year—maybe 50+ additional. We want our students to participate in sports for the physical, mental, leadership, and emotional benefits, but we need enough coaches to accommodate kids in the different sports.

A 5th has no clear idea why he is on the board, other than he wants to be on it. :(
No way 2 responsible trustees can defeat those odds.

Yes, the 2 you reference are detrimental to our community.

Very disturbing. Coach Faircloth is the BEST thing to happen to PN-G athletics in a long time. I am hoping the community will realize this before it is too late. It sounds as if he is on the verge of having even more success in the coming season`s.

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member

Does anyone have a comprehensive break down of how the present school board has voted in the past, in matters considering the coaching staff? That would be extremely helpful and something that could be brought up at the upcoming board meeting. At the very least, the public needs to be aware of how the trustees are voting, so they will know if they are adhering to the constituents desires.

Bruiser

Walters, Balsamo, Parker...ALL very anti athletics! Miller just does what she's told. Jury still out on Sullivan. McCutcheon and Brittain are solid...need those two to stay for a LONG time!

IBLEEDPURPLE

1,000+ Posts

I'm telling you....I do not have a good feeling about what this board is trying to do. The community needs to band together and rally behind BF and let your opinions be heard and known before it is too late.

Justafan

2,000+ Posts

Again, several people posted on here several years ago stating these 3 or 4 had personal agendas and they were still voted in. I have no faith anyone will stand up and say anything at the meeting. If anything it won't be a large crowd. These community has changed and not for the better.

Torino

500+ Posts

justafan said:
Again, several people posted on here several years ago stating these 3 or 4 had personal agendas and they were still voted in. I have no faith anyone will stand up and say anything at the meeting. If anything it won't be a large crowd. These community has changed and not for the better.
Definitely was that way in the past. Lots of talk in 2010 and 2011 about supporting Bf and defeating unsupportive board members. However, they survived, and now Walters & Parker won't be up again until 2015. Balsamo & Miller don't stand for re-election until 2016. BF may be gone by 2015, certainly by 2016. :-[

Torino

500+ Posts

Torino said:
IndianFan said:
It would be nice to fill up the stadium with supporters, and then have the people that have a burr in their shorts walk out and address the crowd. Give petty, vindictive minds a little power and this is what you get. Whatever the issues are, I guarantee a reasonable set of minds can work it out. Coach Faircloth needs to see and hear major support on this.

And regarding the two school board members, or whoever it is, if any od these observations are misdirected, then come out and explain. And be sure to explain why you feel empowered to run off the best coach this school has seen in decades. And without a doubt, the greatest offensive football mind ever to grace a PNG fieldhouse.

Guess the 3 board members who are harassing BF don't feel its necessary to explain themselves. :-X
Still waiting... :p

mdog

I have been following this topic since the beginning and I'm curious of one thing. There appears to be an agenda to get rid of a couple of Board members do to the fact they are not voting the way their constituents want them to vote. Although I do not agree with anything that I've read on the cutting of any approved payments, apparently these board members must be voting as their constituents wanted them to because they did come up for reelection, were challenged and not defeated. There are only a couple of reasons that I can see this happened. Either the opponents that ran against them had agendas not supported by the VOTING community or the VOTING community likes what these board members stand for.

ingainerYYZ

100+ Posts

Maybe the VOTING community has been misinformed the last few years. I refuse to believe that people would knowingly support someone who is not looking out for the best interest of our school system. Or in this case not look out for the best interest of BF. What is so wrong with supporting a HC/AD who is doing a GREAT job?

Torino

500+ Posts

mdog said:
I have been following this topic since the beginning and I'm curious of one thing. There appears to be an agenda to get rid of a couple of Board members do to the fact they are not voting the way their constituents want them to vote. Although I do not agree with anything that I've read on the cutting of any approved payments, apparently these board members must be voting as their constituents wanted them to because they did come up for reelection, were challenged and not defeated. There are only a couple of reasons that I can see this happened. Either the opponents that ran against them had agendas not supported by the VOTING community or the VOTING community likes what these board members stand for.

OK, Indian Fan. Now they are responding. :welcome:

mdog

Who are they? I can have my own opinions that may or not agree with you. I can guaranty that I am not a board member and have never even campaigned for one.

ingainerYYZ

100+ Posts

Judging from the many posts that are on this thread one can conclude that interest has been sparked and the community will continue to be more vigilante about this issue and the way board members conduct business for our school district. Everyone has an opinion and there are many ways to handle different problems. With that being said it is time to hold our community leaders accountable and demand that the best interest of PN-G be placed at the forefront of all matters.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member

Voter apathy and misinformation. Not many people vote in local elections. End result is a small percentage of voters can organize and elect someone that the majority would not approve of. And as we've seen even at the highest levels of federal government, not necessarily someone who even belongs in office. Or even intend to do what they promise. Sad situation.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member

justafan said:

Come join me on June 16. At least we will know two people will be in attendance...me and you. Hopefully, others will join us.

Go Indians. Peace.

NDN411

Balsamo ran unopposed last time.

I will be at the board meeting too. At least if no one gets the opportunity to speak, there's power in numbers and maybe the intimidation of a room full of people there to witness this vote will make a difference. I think these board members get away with doing what they want because there's very few people there to see it happen. Let's change that next month!

prepballfan

There's No Place Like The Reservation Friday Night
Staff member

IndianFan said:
Several years ago the school board of a small East Texas district voted not to renew the contract of a head coach who had just won the school's first state championship in over 80 years of play. The reason? Local politics fueled by grudges against the coach. He had done nothing wrong. That school has done nothing in football since, even with several star players returning the year after the championship win, and very successful sub-varsity teams.

BTW, those board members failed to maintain their positions, and were not exactly the most popular people in town going forward. True story that is a source of ridicule around the state to this day.

The chance that PN-G HS, with all the community pride and support of the school and athletics, might be in that situation as well is a travesty and a shame.

That would be San Augustine

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member

prepballfan said:
IndianFan said:
Several years ago the school board of a small East Texas district voted not to renew the contract of a head coach who had just won the school's first state championship in over 80 years of play. The reason? Local politics fueled by grudges against the coach. He had done nothing wrong. That school has done nothing in football since, even with several star players returning the year after the championship win, and very successful sub-varsity teams.

BTW, those board members failed to maintain their positions, and were not exactly the most popular people in town going forward. True story that is a source of ridicule around the state to this day.

The chance that PN-G HS, with all the community pride and support of the school and athletics, might be in that situation as well is a travesty and a shame.

That would be San Augustine

Bingo. Coach Graves had turned that program around. It was all scrapped by a vengeful school board.

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member

That's pathetic.... but sounds like what we have working here too.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores