IMPORTANT: June 16th School Board Meeting in Groves

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Re: May 12th board meeting in Groves

I hope all of these posters go to the June 2014 school board meeting...and bring a friend with you. We need more than 7 or 8 citizens to attend and voice support for Coach Faircloth. Bring a Big Chief tablet and brand new ink pen with you and take notes about who makes a motion to take away stipends immediately. Listen to who seconds the motion. Pay attention to who asks for issues to be discussed in a closed session. If you have a conflict on the day of the meeting, reschedule your conflict. Please go to the school board meeting. Tell the school board that you care about PN-GISD and the board members sitting in those seats are there to listen and serve the constituents of PN-GISD.

Even if you are an alum that no longer lives in the district. Drive over to Groves. Go to the meeting and tell the school board you still care about PN-GISD and its 80+ years of Honor, Pride and Tradition.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member

It would be nice to fill up the stadium with supporters, and then have the people that have a burr in their shorts walk out and address the crowd. Give petty, vindictive minds a little power and this is what you get. Whatever the issues are, I guarantee a reasonable set of minds can work it out. Coach Faircloth needs to see and hear major support on this.

And regarding the two school board members, or whoever it is, if any od these observations are misdirected, then come out and explain. And be sure to explain why you feel empowered to run off the best coach this school has seen in decades. And without a doubt, the greatest offensive football mind ever to grace a PNG fieldhouse.

ingainerYYZ

100+ Posts

IndianFan said:
It would be nice to fill up the stadium with supporters, and then have the people that have a burr in their shorts walk out and address the crowd. Give petty, vindictive minds a little power and this is what you get. Whatever the issues are, I guarantee a reasonable set of minds can work it out. Coach Faircloth needs to see and hear major support on this.

And regarding the two school board members, or whoever it is, if any od these observations are misdirected, then come out and explain. And be sure to explain why you feel empowered to run off the best coach this school has seen in decades. And without a doubt, the greatest offensive football mind ever to grace a PNG fieldhouse.

+1. He is poised to make a run and be known as one of the BEST ever to wear Purple & White as a coach.

NDN411

Give petty, vindictive minds a little power and this is what you get.

ImaginerYYZ, you hit the nail on the head. It's all about throwing the weight of their power around and pushing their own agendas. This is what happens when you put the wrong people in the power seat. I hope our community remembers this come election time.

hookem14

100+ Posts

Remember, this year's sophomore class and this year's freshman class were back to back undefeated district champions as freshmen! That looks to me like the start of a pretty good three year run. This system is the only system these boys have known. A change now could mean taking a step backwards. Leave our coach in peace to do his job and I believe really good things are on the horizon!

bandkid

Staff member

I'm going to take a brief respite from commenting on the school board politics and coaching issues to address the comments about teenage recreation in the PN-G community.

Yes, we have a significant partying problem, and it has occasionally reared its head in ugly ways. It typically involves a lot of underage drinking, drunk driving, teenage sex and resulting pregnancies, and, often times, drug abuse and everything that comes with that. It's not something that you can limit to certain cliques or socioeconomic demographics; this is a problem that reaches up into the upper class, "sophisticated" neighborhoods of Port Neches and Groves every bit as much as the less affluent areas, and it involves a lot of families prominent both within PN-G and the broader Southeast Texas community. I would be willing to wager that many of the people on this site, and much of the rest of the community, would be shocked to see some of the names involved here and what some of the people they know, trust and think highly of have engaged in, as well as the locations where this type of thing takes place.

On that note, I saw a comment earlier asking where the parents of some of these kids are when this type of thing happens. Unfortunately, they're looking the other way about half the time, and they're providing the alcohol and/or drugs and even actively participating in the partying the other half. Prom, Aqua Ball, birthday parties, post-game parties on Friday nights, even a typical Saturday - all of these have become occasions for this type of behavior.

That said, this isn't unique to PN-G. In fact, I think this is part of a contemporary trend in American culture, and a progressively worsening one at that. In the short time I was home between the end of my semester at Alabama and my trip to Tallahassee, there was a story on the news about a woman in Sour Lake providing marijuana to members of her son's little league team, and allegedly committing sexual acts with at least one of them. It was only a few weeks ago that a prom bus carrying LC-M students was pulled over in Kemah, with several of its occupants being given citations for underage drinking. My senior year, a sophomore at PN-G was killed and another injured when they were run over by a drunk teenage driver from Port Arthur driving an estimated 70 MPH on a residential street in Groves. More broadly, I can't tell you how many people I know at Alabama (which now has a student body more than halfway comprised of out-of-state students and actively recruits from around the country) who have taken this to the next level in college life. I have a friend who worked as a photographer in Tuscaloosa and was contracted out for several fraternity and sorority socials. The same stuff happens there, only with better access to drugs, alcohol and contraceptives, and there are pictures to prove it. And once again, this behavior either goes on unbeknownst to the parents, or with their full support and encouragement, and sometimes even advisory instruction.

All of that's to say that before you start wondering what happened to good ol' PN-G, you need to look around and ask what happened to your country, and what it's done to the generations that will eventually have to run it. It doesn't make any of this more right, but it does frame the issue very differently.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member

Not only is it not unique to PNG HS, but that behavior has always existed.

Those PNG teams from the 70s had their share of 'partyers'. Long standing rumor is that's why PNG didn't beat a weaker Plano team for the state championship in 1977.

This thread is turning into an 'everything wrong with PNG and it's youth' list. Please focus on the issue of Coach Faircloth and what can be done to keep him here.

indianalways

100+ Posts

IndianFan said:

Those PNG teams from the 70s had their share of 'partyers'. Long standing rumor is that's why PNG didn't beat a weaker Plano team for the state championship in 1977.

This thread is turning into an 'everything wrong with PNG and it's youth' list. Please focus on the issue of Coach Faircloth and what can be done to keep him here.

IndianFan,

I brought up the subject regarding PN-G's issues with alcohol and drug abuse in reference to another poster's comment about lack of student participation in extra-curricular activities.

On that issue, if PN-G had more participation in not just the football team, but band, Indianettes, and just about everything else the school board probably wouldn't take issue with a few extra thousand dollars flowing to the coaches pockets. And let me be clear, I stand firmly against the two board members in question and petitioned against their re-election, just check my message board history.

If you are more intelligent than I and can see some other correlation between the two, I'm willing to listen....

I know your reputation on this board and know you are a level headed person, but reflecting on what someone else did in the past doesn't fix what is going on in our present. I think we're all well aware of what teams in the '70s, '80s, '90s, and '00s did, which is why I said the problem has gone unmentioned for the better part of four decades in my original post.

If you want the coach to be taken care of, get the kids off the drugs and alcohol, and get them involved in the positive things that are available to students and the rest will take care of itself.

pngmom4

500+ Posts

Just a reminder, the booster club is holding their membership drive tonight. It is veiny held at the Wheelhouse. Coach Faircloth is normally there, so if you want to let him know you are behind him, stop by.

The booster club supports ALL PNG athletics.

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member

LOL, Indainalways, the band is about the biggest in school history. Marching 200 strong! I'd call that pretty good participation.

Can't comment on the other extra-c activities tho.

ingainerYYZ

100+ Posts

bamakid said:
I'm going to take a brief respite from commenting on the school board politics and coaching issues to address the comments about teenage recreation in the PN-G community.

Yes, we have a significant partying problem, and it has occasionally reared its head in ugly ways. It typically involves a lot of underage drinking, drunk driving, teenage sex and resulting pregnancies, and, often times, drug abuse and everything that comes with that. It's not something that you can limit to certain cliques or socioeconomic demographics; this is a problem that reaches up into the upper class, "sophisticated" neighborhoods of Port Neches and Groves every bit as much as the less affluent areas, and it involves a lot of families prominent both within PN-G and the broader Southeast Texas community. I would be willing to wager that many of the people on this site, and much of the rest of the community, would be shocked to see some of the names involved here and what some of the people they know, trust and think highly of have engaged in, as well as the locations where this type of thing takes place.

On that note, I saw a comment earlier asking where the parents of some of these kids are when this type of thing happens. Unfortunately, they're looking the other way about half the time, and they're providing the alcohol and/or drugs and even actively participating in the partying the other half. Prom, Aqua Ball, birthday parties, post-game parties on Friday nights, even a typical Saturday - all of these have become occasions for this type of behavior.

That said, this isn't unique to PN-G. In fact, I think this is part of a contemporary trend in American culture, and a progressively worsening one at that. In the short time I was home between the end of my semester at Alabama and my trip to Tallahassee, there was a story on the news about a woman in Sour Lake providing marijuana to members of her son's little league team, and allegedly committing sexual acts with at least one of them. It was only a few weeks ago that a prom bus carrying LC-M students was pulled over in Kemah, with several of its occupants being given citations for underage drinking. My senior year, a sophomore at PN-G was killed and another injured when they were run over by a drunk teenage driver from Port Arthur driving an estimated 70 MPH on a residential street in Groves. More broadly, I can't tell you how many people I know at Alabama (which now has a student body more than halfway comprised of out-of-state students and actively recruits from around the country) who have taken this to the next level in college life. I have a friend who worked as a photographer in Tuscaloosa and was contracted out for several fraternity and sorority socials. The same stuff happens there, only with better access to drugs, alcohol and contraceptives, and there are pictures to prove it. And once again, this behavior either goes on unbeknownst to the parents, or with their full support and encouragement, and sometimes even advisory instruction.

All of that's to say that before you start wondering what happened to good ol' PN-G, you need to look around and ask what happened to your country, and what it's done to the generations that will eventually have to run it. It doesn't make any of this more right, but it does frame the issue very differently.

Good point. Very well written.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member

indianalways said:
IndianFan said:

IndianFan,

I brought up the subject regarding PN-G's issues with alcohol and drug abuse in reference to another poster's comment about lack of student participation in extra-curricular activities.

On that issue, if PN-G had more participation in not just the football team, but band, Indianettes, and just about everything else the school board probably wouldn't take issue with a few extra thousand dollars flowing to the coaches pockets. And let me be clear, I stand firmly against the two board members in question and petitioned against their re-election, just check my message board history.

If you are more intelligent than I and can see some other correlation between the two, I'm willing to listen....

I know your reputation on this board and know you are a level headed person, but reflecting on what someone else did in the past doesn't fix what is going on in our present. I think we're all well aware of what teams in the '70s, '80s, '90s, and '00s did, which is why I said the problem has gone unmentioned for the better part of four decades in my original post.

If you want the coach to be taken care of, get the kids off the drugs and alcohol, and get them involved in the positive things that are available to students and the rest will take care of itself.

Mentioning the past was a reminder that whatever is happening now is in no way the fault of any current coach, or a factor in deciding that a contractual agreement can be broken.

Are you implying that the coaches are responsible for controlling behavior that is, unfortunately, not uncommon for teenagers? As you surely would agree, parents are first and foremost responsible for controlling their kids. A coach or teacher can provide positive influence, but that's it.

My point was that the contractual issue, and other opposition over the years towards Faircloth and staff has nothing to do with how high school kids are acting.

I am urging everyone to focus on supporting the head coach of a sport that pays for itself and then some.

pngmom4

500+ Posts

SORRY folks, I need to correct myself. The booster club membership drive is tonight, NOT last night. Sorry for any confusion

bark

1,000+ Posts

is it a the Wheelhouse and is it in a private area?

smoke free?

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member

pngmom4 said:
SORRY folks, I need to correct myself. The booster club membership drive is tonight, NOT last night. Sorry for any confusion

Thanks

pngmom4

500+ Posts

Bark, I think it is in a private room at the Wheelhouse. Unfortunately, I have not been there yet, do I don't know about smoking

Torino

500+ Posts

IndianFan said:

Guess the 3 board members who are harassing BF don't feel its necessary to explain themselves. :-X

TexasTech84

"And, during Coach Faircloth's 15 year run, if you are willing to give him that many years, let him play the same cards as the prior staff, i.e., call up a friend who is an OC and have him and son -- a DI QB -- move to Groves so we can have a three year run. You do know that Dustin Long was not at PN-G K-12, right? He moved here. Let's give Coach Faircloth the same 15 years and the same cards to play"

With all respect 1989NDN, I am not taking sides here including Bark's, Coach BF is a heck of a coach, Correct me if I am wrong, Then he bring over Judge Walker grandson, Ky Walker to PNG from Hamshire-Fannett to be are starting QB ?, nothing wrong here, he is a heck of a QB. But at the end of it all, when your in this type of positions your going to look out for certain close friends. That's just the way it is. This is going on in all school districts.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member

TT84 - Agreed. As long as Cocah BF gets the same 15 years and the same hand of cards, I'm onboard.

pngfan93

1,000+ Posts

Man, I take a break from message boards for a while, and all this happens. I haven't yet read all of the posts on here, but I do have a message to relay to all of you:

A good friend called me and said that Eric Sullivan called him and asked him to put his number on here so people could call with any questions they may have. I know that at least one other board member has done this before. I just hope Mr. Sullivan doesn't regret this going on here. So, here it is: Eric Sullivan 284-1967.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores