IMPORTANT: June 16th School Board Meeting in Groves

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Re: May 12th board meeting in Groves

justafan said:
If Faircloth leaves my donation will be withdrawn.

While I understand your frustration and reaction, I respectfully ask that you not act so fast. Withdrawing financial support for the PN-G ABC, and then having the booster club struggle so that it eventually closes its doors, is exactly what some board members want to happen. They not only want to annoy Coach Faircloth with petty issues and create so much havoc that he leaves for greener pastures, they also want the PN-G ABC to disappear.

Everyone who cares about PN-GISD needs to attend next month’s school board meeting (June). If you read this post, please go to the board meeting and bring a friend with you. Educate yourself on the issues and attend the meetings. Listen to what is said and take notes about which board members support Coach Faircloth and those that do not. Those in the community that want Coach Faircloth to stay long term at PN-GISD as AD/HC, go to the school board meeting and voice your support. Bring other supporters with you. Write letters and send them to the Superintendent’s office. Call the board members – all of them. Go online to www.pngisd.org. Go to the tab for the Board of Trustees. Find the tab where you Meet the Board Members. Once the Team of Eight page is opened, there should be a link to contact board members. Do so. E-mail the board members separately and express your support for Coach Faircloth. Ask questions of the board about why some them want to scrutinize this particular coach when he has done everything asked of him: (1) He turned the program around; (2) season ticket sales are higher than they have been since the late 1970s; (3) revenue generated from the football program is better than it has been in many years; (4) creation of the PN-G ABC; (5) RBs, QBs, and WRs are re-writing the PN-G record books. Yet, some want to further cut the athletic budget and argue over stipends. Then there are those that take sniper shots from the sidelines. They want the issues discussed during closed sessions. Others want to take every athletic issue and turn it into a cause for defending teachers. News flash: Successful athletic programs can, and should, go hand in hand with successful academic programs. One does not exclude the other. If you care about PN-GISD and its kids, then go to the school board meetings. Let your voice be heard, especially at next month’s meeting. The June meeting will be important. The stipend issue and athletic budget will likely be discussed again. Hopefully, it will once again be discussed during the open forum and not during a closed session as some board members might prefer. Ask all of the board members to discuss the issue open and honestly. We need supporters to attend. Earlier this month, only seven or eight citizens attended. We need 100+ to attend and voice support in June. If you do not go and support Coach Faircloth at the next board meeting and he eventually leaves for a better opportunity, then you have no one to blame.

Those that already support the program 100%, I know this is mind boggling and frustrating. You are probably asking yourself, “Why is it that some who claim to love and support PN-GISD, why do they want to tear down what is good? If there is talent coming through the system during the next 3 to 5 years, then why not have Coach Faircloth take that talent deep into the playoffs?” I agree. But, do not be passive and presume all is well in Port Neches and Groves. There are those that do not want Coach Faircloth to be successful. Check the record books, he’s pretty good. If we push him out, then I guess we’ll return to run, run, pass, punt…play defense…and be satisfied with 5-5…but, hey, we will have the good’ol boy net work back in place. We can go back to having a WR coach that never played football. Or we can go back and focus on how well our OL and DB coaches teach technique while we get our rear-ends kicked 42-10. Move past that garbage and join the 21st Century.

But for the Dustin and Mike Long era where PN-G was 30-7, boosted by 1999’s 14-2 season, the program during the 1990s and early 2000s was up and down averaging 5-5 seasons. Teams like WO-S and Nederland did not scout PN-G. Why waste the time? Things never changed. Run, run, run some more, 3-step drop and throw a slant, 2-TE set and run student body left, student body right, or better yet, student body up the middle. Wait, 3 step drop and throw an out route. That was mediocre. Or, we could do even worse and return to the mid and late 1980s where 11W-35L-3T was put into the record books.

Leave Coach Faircloth alone and let him do his thing.

The end.

Go Indians. Peace.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member

It was not so long ago that a talented, motivated, and proven young coach arrived in Port Neches, and reignited the excitement of PN-G Indian football. From a program that seemingly wasted talent year after year, to an era of exciting, high scoring play that suddenly put PN-G back on the map. Fast forward 5 years and we're hearing that he's battling what probably represents the same backwards thinking that existed before he arrived.

Here's what a few Odessa Permian fans had to say back in 2009 regarding Faircloth being at PN-G.

You've got yourself a good one.......treat him right :)

Yes you do, and your progress was like ours as soon as he showed up here.

the word "Lucky" doesn't even begin to describe your team's good fortune in getting a hold of Faircloth, PnG.

And just so folks don't forget the excitement back in 2009...

New PN-G football coach gets board approval, ready to get to work
GREG HAYES
Published 12:00 am, Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Already clad in a purple shirt, Brandon Faircloth showed he's ready to get started with his new job, and the Port Neches-Groves board of trustees is happy to oblige.

The board approved a two-year contract for Faircloth to be the new high school head football coach and boys athletic director at PN-G by a 6-0 vote Tuesday.

"We have great times ahead of us," said Faircloth, an assistant coach at Class 5A Odessa Permian for the last three seasons.

As offensive coordinator at Permian, Faircloth helped coach a team that averaged 42.6 points through 13 games last season, the last game a 28-22 loss to eventual Class 5A Division I state champion Allen.

Before providing that offensive mojo, however, Faircloth was the running backs coach at Highland Park from 2002-2005 and the freshman coach at Westlake from 2000-2001.

Faircloth takes over a team that won its first three games but lost its last six last season.

"The most important thing first of all is to start working hard and not get too concerned with too far down the road," Faircloth said.

Faircloth, 31, will start his new job next week instead of the expected March 2 start date, PN-G Superintendent Lani Randall said.

"He has a very strong commitment," Randall said.

Faircloth said he wants to install an offensive game plan different than the grind-it-out style familiar to so many PN-G fans.

"I like using multiple formations on offense," Faircloth said. "And we will be 50-50 on pass and run. If we have to throw the ball 50 times to win a game, then we'll pass 50 times.

"We'll take what the defense gives us."

Faircloth, Georgetown assistant Chuck Griffin and Calallen head coach/athletic director Philip Danaher were the three finalists for the position, Randall said.

The position drew 35 applicants. PN-G released the names of applicants only after it sought a ruling from the Texas Attorney General's office on if the Texas Freedom of Information Act required it to do so.

Faircloth replaces former coach Matt Burnett, who coached 22 seasons at PN-G, the last 15 as head coach.

Burnett coached PN-G to a Class 4A state title game in 1999.

Randall said she is impressed with Faircloth's vision for athletics - all of athletics, not just football.

"From elementary to high school, he is interested in our kids doing well in all sports," she said. "He said that he believes we have bright kids with talent here."

bandkid

Staff member

I checked into the rumor about Faircloth being headhunted by another school with a player. According to him, the only contact Faircloth has had with other schools has been a series of meetings with coaches from different colleges. This doesn't mean it isn't true, but it seems to me that if Faircloth is being recruited to go elsewhere, the players don't know anything about it (and admittedly, that may be by intention).

Whatever the case may be, I think what's called for here are cooler heads and improved lines of communication. I think it's obvious that the coaches have probably earned the extra $12,000 a year, especially given the time and energy they put in and the fact that PN-G has both a small and underpaid coaching staff relative to other districts its size. That said, I can also understand fiscal prudence in an environment where the level of state funding is anything but assured, especially given that the $12,000 in question was paid out by mistake for four years. And on that note, I think we need to hear the lines of reasoning straight from the horses' mouths (that is, straight from Balsamo and Walters) before jumping to conclusions.

On an irrelevant but personally significant aside, I'm relieved to hear that Pizza Inn is still under the ownership of Mr. Broussard. ;D

Fairlane

100+ Posts

bamakid said:
I checked into the rumor about Faircloth being headhunted by another school with a player. According to him, the only contact Faircloth has had with other schools has been a series of meetings with coaches from different colleges. This doesn't mean it isn't true, but it seems to me that if Faircloth is being recruited to go elsewhere, the players don't know anything about it (and admittedly, that may be by intention).

Whatever the case may be, I think what's called for here are cooler heads and improved lines of communication. I think it's obvious that the coaches have probably earned the extra $12,000 a year, especially given the time and energy they put in and the fact that PN-G has both a small and underpaid coaching staff relative to other districts its size. That said, I can also understand fiscal prudence in an environment where the level of state funding is anything but assured, especially given that the $12,000 in question was paid out by mistake for four years. And on that note, I think we need to hear the lines of reasoning straight from the horses' mouths (that is, straight from Balsamo and Walters) before jumping to conclusions.

On an irrelevant but personally significant aside, I'm relieved to hear that Pizza Inn is still under the ownership of Mr. Broussard. ;D
With all due respect, often times teachers and coaches don't discuss their personal business with high school students.

Also, fiscal prudence has nothing to do with this issue.

ingainerYYZ

100+ Posts

Where did "paying out stipend by accident for the last four years" comment come from? I have never heard that this was an accident/mistake? So BF`s success has been an accident/mistake? How much more info. from the horse`s mouth do we all really need to hear?

bandkid

Staff member

NDNbyChoice said:
With all due respect, often times teachers and coaches don't discuss their personal business with high school students.

As I stated in the post, the fact that the players don't know anything of it may very well be intentional, and is in no way proof that no such negotiations are taking place. This is merely an admission that I reached out to a source in the fieldhouse to try and confirm the rumor and wasn't able to do so. I'll also point out for the record that I have feelers out in a few other areas to try and confirm it as well.

With all due respect, however, I am curious to know how you came by this information. I trust my source - I've managed to confirm or invalidate several rumors with him before, and he has yet to be wrong. He was surprised by the prospect of Coach Faircloth leaving, and didn't seem to believe it. I'm sure you'll understand my skepticism over something that went around in a chain text message.

NDNbyChoice said:
Also, fiscal prudence has nothing to do with this issue.

Fiscal prudence has nothing to do with an issue regarding a stipend that was paid out over four separate years after it was supposed to expire?

On that note, I know both Mr. Balsamo and Mr. Walters personally. And I know that Mr. Balsamo pays particular attention to matters where finances are concerned. I haven't yet had the opportunity to discuss this particular issue with him, but I do trust that he has the best interests of the district at heart, and I feel confident enough about my knowledge of his prior decisions to reason that he's probably reluctant to continue paying out an extra $12,000 a year out of financial concern for the district. We shouldn't forget that it was just four years ago that the district was faced with a significant financial shortfall.

In any case, this is exactly why I want to hear their opinions directly from them. I have a feeling that things would make a lot more sense were all sides fairly represented in this thread. Perhaps it would be beneficial if some of the school board members would participate the discussions here actively, so that we could see everything all at once (and yes, I say that fully aware of the way the site was abused by a current board member in the past).

ingainerYYZ said:
Where did "paying out stipend by accident for the last four years" comment come from? I have never heard that this was an accident/mistake?

It came from the post quoted below:

bark said:
Yes, as I was told by a png teacher/coach it is over a 4,000.00. Moving bonus new out of town coaches got that was supposed to be one tome only expense but the payroll office forgot and they have been receiving it every year they are here.

Putting them 4,000.00 more than coaches that live here.

ingainerYYZ said:
So BF`s success has been an accident/mistake?

I've certainly never stated, or intended to imply, that Coach Faircloth's success at PN-G has been an accident or mistake. I was in high school for Coach Burnett's last two years and Coach Faircloth's first two. I know the amount of work Coach Faircloth put into turning around this program, and I have no doubts that he will continue to be highly successful going into the future because of his deliberate efforts.

The only issue at hand here hinges on three separate $4,000 stipends that were paid out in 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and, I assume, up until this point in 2014, despite the fact that they were only supposed to be paid out in 2009. That's $12,000 a year for at least four years, or $48,000 sum total. I'm inclined to agree that the coaches deserve another $4,000 a year in their salaries because of the sheer amount of work they do and the success they've enjoyed, and there's no way I could ever agree that they should be required to pay a dime of that money back; regardless of whether the stipends become permanent raises, this is the district's accounting error and the district has to own up to it. All I'm saying here is that we shouldn't be rushing to conclusions about the intentions of certain board members simply because they raised issue with the mistaken payouts.

bandkid

Staff member

Alright, now I have different information telling me that the stipend wasn't a mistake for all those years, and that it was explicitly called for in the coaches' contracts. I also have separate information confirming that Coach Faircloth is being recruited by a Dallas area school district.

Well, that certainly changes things.

Torino

500+ Posts

ingainerYYZ said:
Where did "paying out stipend by accident for the last four years" comment come from? I have never heard that this was an accident/mistake? So BF`s success has been an accident/mistake? How much more info. from the horse`s mouth do we all really need to hear?
The stipends weren't an accident. The people now posturing as surprised and uninformed have been routinely approving it since 2009. ::)

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member

1989NDN, not a truer post has ever been penned to this board. We need an OVERWHELMING show of support for the entire coaching staff at the next meeting. It's important that they see that we are behind them, as well as to witness, first hand, how the board acts, and in the case of some, like Sullivan, how they sit there silent.
The $4K was a contact agreement made with Randall, so, Balsamo and Walters have no legal right to ask that it be removed... unless they do not perform as contract stated. It's my understanding that they held a vote, and those were the only 2 that voted to remove the $$. Let's do the math people!!! Faircloth is being harassed by some of the SB members, and It's going to stop.

Justafan

2,000+ Posts

PNG Proud said:
1989NDN, not a truer post has ever been penned to this board. We need an OVERWHELMING show of support for the entire coaching staff at the next meeting. It's important that they see that we are behind them, as well as to witness, first hand, how the board acts, and in the case of some, like Sullivan, how they sit there silent.
The $4K was a contact agreement made with Randall, so, Balsamo and Walters have no legal right to ask that it be removed... unless they do not perform as contract stated. It's my understanding that they held a vote, and those were the only 2 that voted to remove the $$. Let's do the math people!!! Faircloth is being harassed by some of the SB members, and It's going to stop.

Will the coaches be at the next meeting? The meeting for the Stipend was on the 12th. What everyone needs to do is email the board and email Faircloth with your support.

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member

They tabled part of it until the June mtg.

Everyone, please be aware that the date for the June mtg. has changed, to accommodate one of the school board members. It will not be held at it's usual date.

indianalways

100+ Posts

charles carrier said:
I have also donated to ABC toward the training facility...a good project to improve several aspects of student life.
Many of us would like to know the plans and progress on the project. More participation and involvement in every part of OUR school district is important.

Coach Faircloth and his staff deserve support and commendation for their work with all levels of athletes and all sports. Remember, it takes a STRONG program to SUPPORT the important athletic programs which have FEWER participants.

All extra-curricular activities benefit from a STRONG athletic program....all academic efforts benefit from a STRONG teaching staff with adequate resources and motivated students. Success is based on pride and motivation.

Let your board members know where your allegiance is...they were elected to LISTEN first..

Hard to get kids involved in extra-curricular activities these days when the community turns a blind eye to the seemingly rampant alcohol and drug-fueled parties that happen every weekend. If I was sixteen and hung over as much as some of these kids are, I'd struggle to sit in a school desk all day, much less run a 40 yard dash in a decent time.

Let's stop beating around the bush and get to the root of the problem, PN-G has a history of alcohol and substance abuse in minors and while it's gone unmentioned for the better part of four decades, the community is now reaping what it has sowed. Disciplinary problems are at an all-time high, extra-curricular activity participation is at an all-time low, and so is school attendance.

If I still had kids in school, I'd be a little more worried about what "little Johnny" is doing this Saturday night, than whether or not the football coach is going to get an extra $4,000 this year.

It's time to wake up; our kids are engulfed in the "coolness" of mediocrity and codependency.

Let that marinate for a while.

Torino

500+ Posts

1989NDN said:
justafan said:
If Faircloth leaves my donation will be withdrawn.

While I understand your frustration and reaction, I respectfully ask that you not act so fast. Withdrawing financial support for the PN-G ABC, and then having the booster club struggle so that it eventually closes its doors, is exactly what some board members want to happen. They not only want to annoy Coach Faircloth with petty issues and create so much havoc that he leaves for greener pastures, they also want the PN-G ABC to disappear.

Everyone who cares about PN-GISD needs to attend next month’s school board meeting (June). If you read this post, please go to the board meeting and bring a friend with you. Educate yourself on the issues and attend the meetings. Listen to what is said and take notes about which board members support Coach Faircloth and those that do not. Those in the community that want Coach Faircloth to stay long term at PN-GISD as AD/HC, go to the school board meeting and voice your support. Bring other supporters with you. Write letters and send them to the Superintendent’s office. Call the board members – all of them. Go online to www.pngisd.org. Go to the tab for the Board of Trustees. Find the tab where you Meet the Board Members. Once the Team of Eight page is opened, there should be a link to contact board members. Do so. E-mail the board members separately and express your support for Coach Faircloth. Ask questions of the board about why some them want to scrutinize this particular coach when he has done everything asked of him: (1) He turned the program around; (2) season ticket sales are higher than they have been since the late 1970s; (3) revenue generated from the football program is better than it has been in many years; (4) creation of the PN-G ABC; (5) RBs, QBs, and WRs are re-writing the PN-G record books. Yet, some want to further cut the athletic budget and argue over stipends. Then there are those that take sniper shots from the sidelines. They want the issues discussed during closed sessions. Others want to take every athletic issue and turn it into a cause for defending teachers. News flash: Successful athletic programs can, and should, go hand in hand with successful academic programs. One does not exclude the other. If you care about PN-GISD and its kids, then go to the school board meetings. Let your voice be heard, especially at next month’s meeting. The June meeting will be important. The stipend issue and athletic budget will likely be discussed again. Hopefully, it will once again be discussed during the open forum and not during a closed session as some board members might prefer. Ask all of the board members to discuss the issue open and honestly. We need supporters to attend. Earlier this month, only seven or eight citizens attended. We need 100+ to attend and voice support in June. If you do not go and support Coach Faircloth at the next board meeting and he eventually leaves for a better opportunity, then you have no one to blame.

Those that already support the program 100%, I know this is mind boggling and frustrating. You are probably asking yourself, “Why is it that some who claim to love and support PN-GISD, why do they want to tear down what is good? If there is talent coming through the system during the next 3 to 5 years, then why not have Coach Faircloth take that talent deep into the playoffs?” I agree. But, do not be passive and presume all is well in Port Neches and Groves. There are those that do not want Coach Faircloth to be successful. Check the record books, he’s pretty good. If we push him out, then I guess we’ll return to run, run, pass, punt…play defense…and be satisfied with 5-5…but, hey, we will have the good’ol boy net work back in place. We can go back to having a WR coach that never played football. Or we can go back and focus on how well our OL and DB coaches teach technique while we get our rear-ends kicked 42-10. Move past that garbage and join the 21st Century.

But for the Dustin and Mike Long era where PN-G was 30-7, boosted by 1999’s 14-2 season, the program during the 1990s and early 2000s was up and down averaging 5-5 seasons. Teams like WO-S and Nederland did not scout PN-G. Why waste the time? Things never changed. Run, run, run some more, 3-step drop and throw a slant, 2-TE set and run student body left, student body right, or better yet, student body up the middle. Wait, 3 step drop and throw an out route. That was mediocre. Or, we could do even worse and return to the mid and late 1980s where 11W-35L-3T was put into the record books.

Leave Coach Faircloth alone and let him do his thing.

The end.

Go Indians. Peace.
Well written.
Running was OK during the late 1990's, when PNG was one of the largest AAAA high schools. In 1996, our first year back in AAAA, we had 1690 students in HS--the largest AAAA HS in the state. 40+ seniors were on varsity (I know; seniors could play varsity regardless). Now, at 1390 pupils, we are in the lower half, in terms of school size, and must use a creative approach to offense. BF is the man when it comes to moving the ball offensively AND developing QBs.

Also, BF is a very nice guy and a good role model.

PNGDAD15

What some of you may not know is that Coach Faircloth has been the U-19 USA National Team head coach the last two years and also had Coach Cary as his OL coach with him. The team consisted of all D-1 players from across the country vs either an all international team or the Canadian National team with big wins of 42-10 and 43-7 against both teams using a lot of the same plays we currently run. I believe that if they National team picked him to coach the team out of so many other coaches across the US that he is more than worthy to be head coach at PNG and we should support him and the team as such. I just hope we can keep him here long enough with the great young group of players we have coming through right now to get back to state again. Here is a link to a short video about the 2013 international bowl to give you a understanding of what level Coach Faircloth is coaching at: 2013 International Bowl Documentary | USA Football

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores