prepballfan

There's No Place Like The Reservation Friday Night
Staff member
I am about to start studying the tale of the tapes if you will

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
1. Play team defense like last week.
2. Cut out the missed blocks, offsides penalties and bad snaps on offense.
3. Give Crippen time to see the field.

…. and it’s a win.

1990NDN

Defense wins championships. If the D continues to play at the level they are playing and the Offense continues to improve as is usually the case, it's going to spell trouble for opponents. I think we've gotten so accustomed to putting all of our stock into judging the teams by our ability to outscore people... that we aren't familiar with this new brand of PNG football. Stout D, pound the ball, open deep shots down field, a coaching staff that can change a game plan mid game and take what the opponents defense is giving us? It's a new era in PNG football. It's going to be a fun season as we watch it play out. This team destroys the team that put us out of the playoffs last year.

The best thing I saw Friday against WOS...late in the game WOS started stacking the box to take away our ability to pound it up the middle. And it worked. However, in doing so they left the edges poorly defended. Our coaches recognized and started running the football off the edges. Was immediately back to 5-8 yards a rush. They took what they were given. Great coaching and play calling.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Agree 100% on the perceived positive changes that are noticeable this season. The new coaches, led by Joseph, have not only worked in great programs, they have also been major contributors to that success. No slight to previous staff members, but this new group of coaches, along with the continuing contribution by coaches that were already here, brings back a level of belief that has not existed for a while. At least it seems that way to this fan.

One of the most memorable attributes of the 70’s teams and coaches is that they not only believed in themselves, they also believed in their ability to win. They expected to win and prepared and played in a way that usually achieved that objective. We had some specials coaches and players back then. I believe we have that in place this year as well and I hope that level of earned confidence returns. But it’s too early to declare greatness yet. Two good wins do not a great season make. But we can see the core of what it takes to win both sides of the ball seems to finally be in place.

One thing that stands out to me while watching the various game videos available is that Coach Joseph is always calm, cool and collected on the sideline. Not too high on the great plays, or too low on the bad ones. The gears are always turning in his head as he observes the game and considers the strategy. He also is quick to offer a word of advice or encouragement to players as well as get after them when they play undisciplined and hurt the team. Those are some positive signs of a great head coach in the making.

And no doubt defensive and offensive coordinators McDaniels and McCrary have also played a major role in bringing in a winning mindset and framework.
Looking forward to a great season and a first district win.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
PN-G was #18 after the United win. Fort Bend Marshall is ranked #4 so that will be a high profile game. I like the Indians’ chances.

West Orange-Stark dropped out of the 4A-II top 10 after the PNG loss. Pleasant Grove is the only team in the 4A-II top 10 with 1 loss.

A bunch of other area schools are ranked. Seems like a good year so far for SE Texas football.

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
PN-G was #18 after the United win. Fort Bend Marshall is ranked #4 so that will be a high profile game. I like the Indians’ chances.

West Orange-Stark dropped out of the 4A-II top 10 after the PNG loss. Pleasant Grove is the only team in the 4A-II top 10 with 1 loss.

A bunch of other area schools are ranked. Seems like a good year so far for SE Texas football.

PG lost to Shreveport Byrd punching way above weight class
The interesting one is Texas High is followed by Colleyville Heritage
THS beat them as soundly as any game I’ve seen in recent history
(Similar to us and PAM)
We ll move up a lot after we beat FBM

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Defense wins championships. If the D continues to play at the level they are playing and the Offense continues to improve as is usually the case, it's going to spell trouble for opponents. I think we've gotten so accustomed to putting all of our stock into judging the teams by our ability to outscore people... that we aren't familiar with this new brand of PNG football. Stout D, pound the ball, open deep shots down field, a coaching staff that can change a game plan mid game and take what the opponents defense is giving us? It's a new era in PNG football. It's going to be a fun season as we watch it play out. This team destroys the team that put us out of the playoffs last year.

The best thing I saw Friday against WOS...late in the game WOS started stacking the box to take away our ability to pound it up the middle. And it worked. However, in doing so they left the edges poorly defended. Our coaches recognized and started running the football off the edges. Was immediately back to 5-8 yards a rush. They took what they were given. Great coaching and play calling.
That’s the part that no one can accept. Didn’t matter what WO-S was going to do. PN-G was the more physical team and were able to do what it takes to stop the speed. And Adams, Prosperie and Guarnere were able to get open. As good as WO-S is, and their previous teams have been, PN-G looks to be the better team this season. At least they did on that night.

HJJ97NDN

100+ Posts
Game plan should be similar against FBM that we did against WOS. Run up the middle with big line, then when they stack the box make short smart passes on the outside. Keep the ball out of their hands as much as possible. I know its easier said than done, but if we are gonna be the best you have to beat the best. As of now they are the best in district and as far as rankings go, almost the best in state.

100+ Posts
Game plan should be similar against FBM that we did against WOS. Run up the middle with big line, then when they stack the box make short smart passes on the outside. Keep the ball out of their hands as much as possible. I know its easier said than done, but if we are gonna be the best you have to beat the best. As of now they are the best in district and as far as rankings go, almost the best in state.
Are you referring to FBM?

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
There is a great quote by one of the all time great Texas high school football coaches Gordon Wood or maybe G.A. Moore. I can no longer find it but to paraphrase, “Polls are good for nothing more than conversation.”. That goes for PN-G’s #10 ranking, Marshall’s #4 ranking and any other ranked team. Football always comes down to preparation, execution and individual matchups. And some good old fashioned luck at times. And fair and good officiating. One team does it better on any given night and one player does it better on the field than the guy in front of him at any given moment. But the rankings are fun and do give fans a sense of good things happening.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
I think the Indians can win the line of scrimmage battle on both sides of the ball. It’ll come down to keeping the big plays to a minimum by playing solid defense and tackling well in space as they did last week and the week before.

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
The thing that’s happening this year that I haven’t seen in the recent past
Is downhill high acceleration NS running
There always seemed to be a little hiccup in every running play except for Roschon right and Roschon left (which Bost did well too as well as Adams now)

To me a “handoff” is a detriment to the play unless it introduces a change of vector
if the QB could have made the same move the RB did it’s actually just a waste of blockers. (If without the handoff the QB could run the same path at the same speed)

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Great points. The 2022 team is lucky to have Shea Adams who can take that direct snap and both power through and run away from defenders. Reed and Nguyen are getting into a groove too. I mentioned back in the spring that Nguyen looked like a future star and we shouldn't be surprised if he makes more and more of those 30-40-50 yard runs. All this made possible by a big and powerful offensive line who opens big holes and will also continue to improve.

Davidp43

100+ Posts
I think they should let Shea throw a jump pass right behind the lbs to keep the defense honest when they start loading the box. It's getting a little predictable when Cole comes out and Shea comes in. I get stopping that play is one thing, but a pass mixed in would back the lbs up for more running room or toss right behind them for 6

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (4-0)
vs.
Huntsville Hornets (3-1)

Friday, Oct. 4, 7:00PM

Huntsville ISD Stadium, Huntsville, TX

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores