PN-GISD School Board Elections

Jake Lefort

This is Jake Lefort. I am running against 2 other individuals for place 7 on PNGISD school board. I want to make it crystal clear on why I am running for school board. I believe that serving others is a very important aspect of life. As a former Teacher/Coach in PNGISD, I believe that I offer a unique perspective that would be an asset to the PNGISD board. I was blessed to be on Coach Faircloth’s coaching staff as well as Coach Burnett’s. I am forever grateful to both of these men for giving me the opportunity to do what I love, and support my family. In 2011 with 4 boys under the age of 16, I left coaching on good terms to be able to provide a better living for my family. I support all PNGISD teachers, Custodians, coaches, administrators and most importantly the students. Coach Faircloth has done a great job at PNGISD and will for years to come. Anybody who has questions about what I stand for can call me at any time. I apologize for whoever started this thread for taking away any attention from what this message board is intended for. Indians. Great Job against Lumberton. Best of luck to our coaches and Players.

Jake Lefort

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
mdog said:
I thought education topics were in another place on this board.

I posted this thread in the Football forum because it receives the most traffic/views/clicks. If a moderator or the owner/operator of this message board wants to move the thread, so be it.

Jake Lefort said:
This is Jake Lefort. I am running against 2 other individuals for place 7 on PNGISD school board. I want to make it crystal clear on why I am running for school board. I believe that serving others is a very important aspect of life. As a former Teacher/Coach in PNGISD, I believe that I offer a unique perspective that would be an asset to the PNGISD board. I was blessed to be on Coach Faircloth’s coaching staff as well as Coach Burnett’s. I am forever grateful to both of these men for giving me the opportunity to do what I love, and support my family. In 2011 with 4 boys under the age of 16, I left coaching on good terms to be able to provide a better living for my family. I support all PNGISD teachers, Custodians, coaches, administrators and most importantly the students. Coach Faircloth has done a great job at PNGISD and will for years to come. Anybody who has questions about what I stand for can call me at any time. I apologize for whoever started this thread for taking away any attention from what this message board is intended for. Indians. Great Job against Lumberton. Best of luck to our coaches and Players.

Jake Lefort

I do not apologize for starting this thread. I started it to bring attention to the PN-GISD school board election on Tuesday, November 7, 2017.

The communities of Port Neches and Groves and the alumni of PN-G should be seriously and intentionally discussing the issues facing the district and the best person to serve on the school board to address those issues. The issues include, but are not limited to, finding the best and most qualified superintendent to lead the district, the continuing effects of Chapter 41 (Texas Education Code), future bond elections, and supporting the district’s students, teachers, and coaches.

In my opinion, Darren McCutcheon has the necessary experience and he is best qualified to continue serving on the PN-GISD Board of Trustees for the issues listed above. He favors a transparent process and a statewide or nationwide search for the next superintendent of PN-GISD. If the best candidate is someone already in the district, then so be it; if the best candidate is from outside the district, then so be it. A transparent process will bear that out. PN-GISD, its students, teachers, and taxpayers deserve the most qualified superintendent serving the district. PN-GISD has nearly 100 years of excellence in the record books. Generations of men and women created the district’s core values of HONOR, PRIDE, and TRADITION. To continue the commitment to excellence, the Board of Trustees should have a transparent process, for as many candidates as possible, and identify the most qualified superintendent that will best fit the district’s core values.

On the issues of Chapter 41 and future bond elections, Darren has successful past experience with both. Darren’s Facebook page for his re-election campaign listed the following:

- Darren has been a part of board leadership that has kept a positive General Fund Balance for the school district. Historical data shows that since 2005 until present day the General Fund Balance has been as high as $20.5 million and currently has $16.5 million.

- This ensures stability of services for faculty, staff and students. It maintains a balance that allows for maintaining buildings, services for students and raises for faculty and staff.

- In 2007 he was a part of the $123 Million bond that built new middle school campuses in Groves and Port Neches, provided new roofs for the K-3 and 4-5 Campuses, added a wing to the high school and upgraded the football stadium.

Why replace experienced leadership on these key issues?

In regards to supporting teachers and coaches, Darren has done that and he will continue to do so. He will not aggravate Coach Faircloth, Coach Comeaux, Coach Carter, or any other PN-G coach. He will not send text messages to a coach on the staff complaining about when players play or do not play. He will continue to stress and require that PN-GISD is in the business of providing a top-notch public education for all students, and if a student wants to pursue an extra-curricular activity, then he or she will have a quality program to join.

Darren will continue to spend the taxpayer’s money wisely, protect the assets of PN-GISD, and give his unequivocal support to the district’s teachers and coaches. He told me that and I believe him.

I do not apologize for being an avid supporter of Coach Faircloth and his program and I am glad that Darren supports him.

VOTE DARREN McCUTCHEON.

Go Indians. Peace.

Justafan

2,000+ Posts
Jake Lefort said:

Jake Lefort

May I ask why run now? Why didn’t you run against the former Burnett supporters that made it hard for Faircloth when they were up for re-election? Why run against someone whose done everything the right way and hasn’t played the typical PNG politics game? Is it a planted pick to run against Darren for this reason? If it’s not a plant pick then why?

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
No reason to desire a change in those board positions if they are doing a good job and representing citizens preferences. And I'd be willing to bet that Coach Faircloth's community support is very, very high.

I'll use a recent quote by Bob Kraft, owner of the New England Patriots. (Replace the word country with community.)

"There is no greater unifier in this country than sports, and unfortunately, nothing more divisive than politics."

From afar, in the eyes of PN-G alumnus, the possibility of 'Burnett' supporters actively undermining Coach Faircloth is shameful.

Matt Burnett is a past player and head coach who earned every bit of the recognition he's received as a player and coach. Brandon Faircloth is charting his own path now while leading the PN-G program to consistent levels of production and developing players in a way that wasn't happening before he arrived.

Two questions:
1. Has Matt Burnett voiced his support for the current head coach and program? Hopefully he has done that and put a stop to any nonsense.

2. Would the candidates challenging for the school board positions maintain a fair and upstanding position regarding academics and athletics? Would they support the concept of allowing the head football coach and athletic director to make his own decisions regarding the football program? This is a yes or no answer.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Indian Fan, in response to your questions:

1. I don't know, but I doubt the answer is yes.
2. No and no.

VOTE DARREN McCUTCHEON.

Did you know? Darren was a part of board leadership that signed the second ever tax abatement agreement between a school district and industry in the State of Texas under HB 1200. Since then, there have been numerous such agreements for PN-GISD and local industry, which has increased the tax base for the school district and provided local jobs for citizens. These tax abatement agreements have enriched the education for students of PN-GISD and provided better opportunities for employees. [See the Facebook page for the re-election of Darren McCutcheon]

Go Indians. Peace.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
What a shame if a vendetta against Coach Faircloth is even remotely supported by a former coach, or for any politically motivated reason. No honor in that and, unfortunately, a sure way to brand PN-G as a backwards place where good head coaches might not want to come in the future.

bark

1,000+ Posts
1989NDN said:

2. No and no.

VOTE DARREN McCUTCHEON.

Did you know? Darren was a part of board leadership that signed the second ever tax abatement agreement between a school district and industry in the State of Texas under HB 1200. Since then, there have been numerous such agreements for PN-GISD and local industry, which has increased the tax base for the school district and provided local jobs for citizens. These tax abatement agreements have enriched the education for students of PN-GISD and provided better opportunities for employees. [See the Facebook page for the re-election of Darren McCutcheon]

Go Indians. Peace.
Matts coaching defense at LCM and drawing full retirement from PNG - making more than as a HC - Jay Stone too.. Only thing is they cant be a head coach, TRS rules.

I am sure Matt doesn't have much to say about Faircloth - just as Faircloth probably has not much to say about Matt

Doug left because he knew the lean years would catch up with him.

Yes. McCutcheon is a good choice, IMO.

Don't underestimate the support behind Lefort. He and his wife are very well thought of and connected to teachers, coaches and the business world - Felix family. Also the PN vs Groves issue always creeps up. Many don't want the Admin to leave PN - that was the unspoken deal in 1956 when PN allowed Groves to join the district. Lefort may throw down that card.

Going to be interesting for sure

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Very interesting to hear the historical context regarding unspoken agreements.

Thanks for that perspective.

hookem14

100+ Posts
IndianFan said:
Very interesting to hear the historical context regarding unspoken agreements.

Thanks for that perspective.
If we are concerning ourselves with "Unspoken Agreements/Deals" from 1956...then we have real problems!

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
bark said:
1989NDN said:

2. No and no.

VOTE DARREN McCUTCHEON.

Go Indians. Peace.
Matts coaching defense at LCM and drawing full retirement from PNG - making more than as a HC - Jay Stone too.. Only thing is they cant be a head coach, TRS rules.

I am sure Matt doesn't have much to say about Faircloth - just as Faircloth probably has not much to say about Matt

Doug left because he knew the lean years would catch up with him.

Yes. McCutcheon is a good choice, IMO.

Don't underestimate the support behind Lefort. He and his wife are very well thought of and connected to teachers, coaches and the business world - Felix family. Also the PN vs Groves issue always creeps up. Many don't want the Admin to leave PN - that was the unspoken deal in 1956 when PN allowed Groves to join the district. Lefort may throw down that card.

Going to be interesting for sure

Not sure I understand what you mean..Can you clarify? Thanks.

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
I say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it! I seriously doubt that ANY person could do a better job than Darren has over the years. I also appreciate how he stuck his neck out for Faircloth when others were tucking and running (and all because of 1 game too, BTW). And it turns out Daren was right about BF.
Not taking anything away from Laforte, because I don't know him, or very much about him.

With that being said...

Darren is right for this District and always has been... more than I can say for some others.

Justafan

2,000+ Posts
Their is a agenda. Just like all small towns they don’t like outsiders and change. Watch the new superintendent will be a PNG Grad, not the best candidate. Most the locals didn’t like bringing a outsider in last time.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
It can go off the rails with either approach. As with corporate takeovers or any change, you hope that common sense can prevail and the good will carry over and continue while deficiencies are addressed.

In the case of PNG football, support Coach Faircloth against any individual or group that carry undeserved vendettas. Protect him from political and personal agendas and let him continue to lead successful Indian football and athletics.

Justafan

2,000+ Posts
IndianFan said:
It can go off the rails with either approach. As with corporate takeovers or any change, you hope that common sense can prevail and the good will carry over and continue while deficiencies are addressed.

In the case of PNG football, support Coach Faircloth against any individual or group that carry undeserved vendettas. Protect him from political and personal agendas and let him continue to lead successful Indian football and athletics.

Amen!!

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
VOTE DARREN MCCUTCHEON.

Keep a hardworking man, who loves PN-G and its teachers, on the school board. Tell your friends, neighbors, and former classmates to vote for Darren McCutcheon.

Go Indians. Peace.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores