Regional Playoff: PNG vs Texas High

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Amazing season for the Indians who are on a roll.
Next up? Texas High.
Tell us about them Usedtocould!

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Regional Semifinals

Texarkana Texas High (11-0) vs Port Neches-Groves (8-4), 6 p.m. Friday at Natchitoches’ Turpin Stadium

College Station A&M Consolidated (10-2) vs Crosby/Marshall Winner, TBD

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
I'm guessing Texas won a toss and picked the location. It's a straight shot down I-49 for them . Either that or the other venues like SFA were not available.

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
Yes they’ve played at Independence Stadium in Shreveport before in playoffs Ryan Mallett’s sr year.
Very good smart returning SR QB. Big TE
Very good defense when UT commit DE (tall lanky but a sleek lanky) Brown wants to put in effort who they will put in at WR on some downs - was featured on ESPN “you got Mossed” this year for a catch - was the “other guy” for OU freshman Clayton Smith DE last year who is the real deal. Very good RB returning SR my prototype RB -good “PNG STYLE” WR Rogers (I played baseball with his dad and uncle lol) really gritty athletic family even his mom was a sprinter in HS lol. The only real eye test they fail is FAT sort of out of shape interior OL - tackles solid though. The defense is a faster Texas City IMO. They might not be super intimidating visually at every position but they’re right. They can “PA Memorial” certain moments on defense if you get them rattled. Brown is the key if he gets mentally out of it
I’ve seen most of their games but not here recently they’ve been showing Pleasant Grove and Longview more. If any underdog team can beat them it’s the Indians but it will be an uphill battle they really showed that vs TC
Good thing for “us” is a good majority of their games are on YouTube but they definitely have grown since the beginning of the season attitude looks better last few I saw.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
2021 Preview - Texarkana Texas Tigers

Coach: Gerry Stanford. Lettermen R/L: 29/27. Starters returning O/D: 5/6. 2020: 11-1 5A DI area finalist/7-0 district. Key losses: Caden Miller (Clarke), Caleb Arnold (Lamar), Clayton Smith (Oklahoma), Hayden Harrell (SFA), Jackson Haller, Rian Cellers

Players to watch: DE/LB Derrick Brown (6-5, 190, 4.6), RB Braylon Stewart (5-9, 185, 4.7), QB Brayson McHenry (6-0, 180, 4.7), DB Jalen Jones (5-11, 165, 4.6), LB Javarous Tyson (5-11, 210, 4.8), OL Qu’Shawn McCulloch (6-4, 290, 5.1). Top juniors: OL John Jack (6-4, 270, 5.3), LB Alex Hines (6-0, 190, 4.8). Top sophomore: WR T.J. Gray (6-2, 170, 4.6).

Other prospects: DE Braxton White, WR Blake Rogers, LB Darrin Finley, TE Nate Mennie, DB Michael Thomas, DL Brandon Childs.

2021 notes: The Tigers are on the lookout for at least one more playmaker on offense to pair with RB Stewart (1,151 yards, 12 TDs rushing) and QB McHenry (2,975 yards, 36 TDs; 128 yards passing; 128 yards, 1 TD rushing). McHenry took over under center in the second game and led the team to a perfect regular season, earning all-district honors in the process. Rogers (27-410, 5 TDs receiving) could be the answer, and help should arrive from an 8-0 JV squad. The defense has a chance to be special with the return of Brown (67 tackles, 20 TFL, 6.5 sacks), who has 20 college offers on the table, along with Jones (27 tackles, 6 PBU), Tyson (51 tackles) and Finley (36 tackles, 2 INTs, 6 PBU).

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
For what it's worth as a comparison, Texas beat Nacogdoches 37-20 a few weeks ago. Montgomery beat Nacogdoches 35-21 last week.

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
For what it's worth as a comparison, Texas beat Nacogdoches 37-20 a few weeks ago. Montgomery beat Nacogdoches 35-21 last week.

I’ll say I watched the game with Nac twice. It was one of their worst games seems like they had district wrapped up. I know Whitehouse was their last game I may be wrong about that. They let Nac hang around early.

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
If they had been division 1 their nearest opponents would have been Longview 90 miles and Tyler 100 miles and then DFW 180 miles

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
I have no idea? Is there a rule from the UIL regarding the location of playoff games? It is TEXAS high school football and not Louisiana. Playing this game in Louisiana makes no sense whatsoever.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Since the town of Texarkana has two identities it's probably no big deal to them if they play in Texas, Arkansas or Louisiana. :)

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (4-0)
vs.
Huntsville Hornets (3-1)

Friday, Oct. 4, 7:00PM

Huntsville ISD Stadium, Huntsville, TX

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores