What an embarassment....

80sPurple

NDNPARENT said:
80sPurple said:
As far as a fight in the stands I sent right by there. There is an older man that sits on the 50 yard line on the 2nd row. He has a cane and gets really mad anytime someone walks through. At least 3 times a game he hits people with that cane if they stop in front of him. It is ridiculous. I have seen him hit kids and women with the cane. I have watched him poke a kid with the cane that has cerebral palsy that sits nearby and has a brace on his let. Last night was all the all time worst. When the parents were coming down to watch their little indianettes and cheerleaders that participated in the clinics he was hollering and poking at everyone. He hit a lady and also we saw him wad up his bag of popcorn and throw it at a tiny little girl that was sitting there. The fight or exchange of words came from a man he yelled at to move that was trying to watch his daughter. This was the same man whose wife had just got hitten by the man with the cane. The man told him he better not see anyone get hit with that cane again especially his wife. Our entire section is fed up with this guy. It is ridiculous and he should be ashamed of himself picking on women & children. I am off my soap box but just wanted to set the record straight on what I saw and see everyweek from this guy.

i disagree with you, that man pays his ticket to WATCH the game and halftime too! The ppl that stand at the railing are the one that are rude! if you want to watch your kid, football game , etc, the GO TO YOU SEAT AND SIT DOWN! i was on the first ron on the 20 yard line and was hollering at the ppl to move on, I PAY FOR MY TICKET TOO! All the handicap ppl that have to sit in the handicap section have ppl constantly standing in from on them! So i applaud the man for making the ppl move, kids , parents etc.!

Seriously? You think it is okay to hit at women and children with canes just because you purchased a ticket? Yes it is not always easy to see the game from the bottom but that does not give you the right to start attacking people with canes. We all pay for our tickets! Its not ok to attack people under any circumstance. I am shocked you are applauding someone for attacking people. I do think it stinks that handicapped people have a hard time seeing. That was a flaw in stadium design. I too have a handicapped person in my family. However...IT GIVE YOU KNOW RIGHT TO HIT INNOCENT WOMEN AND CHILDREN. What is this world coming too?

NDN fan 4ever

100+ Posts
IndianFan said:
When you only build new facilities every 50 years it's gong to take a while to replace everything. The athletic facilities are a big part of the district and community as well and had to be addressed. 10 million to replace a 50+ year old facility that will likely have to do for the next 50 years isn't unreasonable.

Sorry IndianFan I don't buy that argument for one second. That stadium could have waited a couple more years until we addressed more pressing needs. We have campuses older than that stadium. Have you been into any of our schools lately??? Rooms that can't be used because of damage. Ceilings that have fallen in. Mold in the ceilings. Leaking buildings (some with the new roofs). This was all known before the bond.

I don't know you, you could be an administrator or board member for all I know, but I'm in these buildings regularly because of my kids. It's all called priority. What's the priority?? Buildings that all our kids need and use daily or a stadium that gives us bragging rights over our neighbors.

We all like to blast our neighbors to our north and south because of how they run things....well Bmt passed a bond 6 months after ours and guess what? They already have at least 2 new schools completed and being used. That's even with a hurricane. Look at PA, new elementaries being used and a new high school nearly completed. They tried some of the bond shenanigans in Lumberton and the constituents didn't buy it. Nederland tabled theirs because the timing wasn't right. We can't even get a stadium completed in time much less the new schools.

A board member stated :eek:ld: that once PN and Groves citizens see the new stadium thats all it will take to get another bond passed. They must believe we are pretty shallow.

N

NDNPARENT

80sPurple said:
NDNPARENT said:
80sPurple said:
As far as a fight in the stands I sent right by there. There is an older man that sits on the 50 yard line on the 2nd row. He has a cane and gets really mad anytime someone walks through. At least 3 times a game he hits people with that cane if they stop in front of him. It is ridiculous. I have seen him hit kids and women with the cane. I have watched him poke a kid with the cane that has cerebral palsy that sits nearby and has a brace on his let. Last night was all the all time worst. When the parents were coming down to watch their little indianettes and cheerleaders that participated in the clinics he was hollering and poking at everyone. He hit a lady and also we saw him wad up his bag of popcorn and throw it at a tiny little girl that was sitting there. The fight or exchange of words came from a man he yelled at to move that was trying to watch his daughter. This was the same man whose wife had just got hitten by the man with the cane. The man told him he better not see anyone get hit with that cane again especially his wife. Our entire section is fed up with this guy. It is ridiculous and he should be ashamed of himself picking on women & children. I am off my soap box but just wanted to set the record straight on what I saw and see everyweek from this guy.

i disagree with you, that man pays his ticket to WATCH the game and halftime too! The ppl that stand at the railing are the one that are rude! if you want to watch your kid, football game , etc, the GO TO YOU SEAT AND SIT DOWN! i was on the first ron on the 20 yard line and was hollering at the ppl to move on, I PAY FOR MY TICKET TOO! All the handicap ppl that have to sit in the handicap section have ppl constantly standing in from on them! So i applaud the man for making the ppl move, kids , parents etc.!

Seriously? You think it is okay to hit at women and children with canes just because you purchased a ticket? Yes it is not always easy to see the game from the bottom but that does not give you the right to start attacking people with canes. We all pay for our tickets! Its not ok to attack people under any circumstance. I am shocked you are applauding someone for attacking people. I do think it stinks that handicapped people have a hard time seeing. That was a flaw in stadium design. I too have a handicapped person in my family. However...IT GIVE YOU KNOW RIGHT TO HIT INNOCENT WOMEN AND CHILDREN. What is this world coming too?

no i do not agree with hitting ppl , i was applauding that he took action, voice his right, but i do not approve of the hitting. my apology for sounding like a approve of the hitting.

MightyNDNS

100+ Posts
NDN fan 4ever said:
IndianFan said:
When you only build new facilities every 50 years it's gong to take a while to replace everything. The athletic facilities are a big part of the district and community as well and had to be addressed. 10 million to replace a 50+ year old facility that will likely have to do for the next 50 years isn't unreasonable.

Sorry IndianFan I don't buy that argument for one second. That stadium could have waited a couple more years until we addressed more pressing needs. We have campuses older than that stadium. Have you been into any of our schools lately??? Rooms that can't be used because of damage. Ceilings that have fallen in. Mold in the ceilings. Leaking buildings (some with the new roofs). This was all known before the bond.

I don't know you, you could be an administrator or board member for all I know, but I'm in these buildings regularly because of my kids. It's all called priority. What's the priority?? Buildings that all our kids need and use daily or a stadium that gives us bragging rights over our neighbors.

We all like to blast our neighbors to our north and south because of how they run things....well Bmt passed a bond 6 months after ours and guess what? They already have at least 2 new schools completed and being used. That's even with a hurricane. Look at PA, new elementaries being used and a new high school nearly completed. They tried some of the bond shenanigans in Lumberton and the constituents didn't buy it. Nederland tabled theirs because the timing wasn't right. We can't even get a stadium completed in time much less the new schools.

A board member stated :eek:ld: that once PN and Groves citizens see the new stadium thats all it will take to get another bond passed. They must believe we are pretty shallow.

Good post!!!

Need to add that the football program is not funding the bond - we are - the people of PN and Groves. I don't begrudge a new stadium, but prioritize and do what NEEDS to be done first and everything is just extras. If things had been done this way, priorities first and extrax second, then maybe another bond would able to be passed but I don't see it happening again.

80sPurple

NDNPARENT said:
80sPurple said:
NDNPARENT said:
80sPurple said:

no i do not agree with hitting ppl , i was applauding that he took action, voice his right, but i do not approve of the hitting. my apology for sounding like a approve of the hitting.

No problem ndnparent. Thanks.

N

NDNPARENT

NDN fan 4ever said:
IndianFan said:

to me this board is made up of old men that were jocks, wannabe jocks etc, that all for the sports things instead of safety for the kids, ex. seatbelts on the school buses that they went around so to have more money for the stadium. and by the comment about wait till they see the new stadium.
i pray and hope that what happened at the school colapse in Hati does not happened here, talk about lawsuit , and board members head on the chopping block!

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
NDN fan 4ever said:
IndianFan said:

It's an opinion shared by many. I personally have no argument either way. I live in a district that passes 200+ million dollar bonds every few years and suffers from overcrowded facilities with 5,000+ students coming into the distrcit every year.

Unless the PNGISD citizens were willing to pass a much larger bond, which may not even been allowed from what I remember reading, all the schools could not have been rebuilt this time. The $10 million spent on the athletic facilities, which serves serves high school and middle schools sports, would not have been enough to build even one elementary school. Bottom line is the community voted for the package and many are happy to see the stadium improved. You're going to have to do it again to get the elementary schools built.

Other than Groves Elementary, I would guess most of the elementary schools were built around the same time as the stadium (~1950) or early 60's.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
NDNPARENT said:
to me this board is made up of old men that were jocks, wannabe jocks etc, that all for the sports things instead of safety for the kids, ex. seatbelts on the school buses that they went around so to have more money for the stadium. and by the comment about wait till they see the new stadium.
i pray and hope that what happened at the school colapse in Hati does not happened here, talk about lawsuit , and board members head on the chopping block!

I disagree with the assumption that school board members don't care about the safety of students. Deciding against bus seat belts is not uncommon around the state. The PNGISD decision on not including the belts was likely based on further research rather than adding a few thousand dollars to the stadium budget.

The decision from another district who faced the same controversy:
4. Question: Why are 71-passenger school buses not equipped with seat belts for students?

Answer: Seat belts are not required in school buses because research by the Department of Transportation and others determined that compartmentalization was a better solution.

After extensive research during the 1970's, the Department of Transportation and its agency, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) determined that the safest and most practical arrangement for school bus seating would be a "compartmentalization" concept. Accordingly, the new safety regulations established in 1977 included this requirement among many other improvements made that year.

Under the compartmentalization concept, seat backs in school buses are made higher, wider and thicker than before. All metal surfaces are covered with foam padding. This structure must then pass rigid test requirements for absorbing energy, such as would be required if a child's body came in contact with the padded back. In addition, the equivalent of a seat back, called "barrier", is placed in front of the first seat at the front of the bus.

In addition to padding, today's seats also must have a steel inner structure that springs and bends forward to help absorb energy when a child comes in contact with it. The steel frame must "give" just enough to absorb the child in the seat ahead. Also, of course, the seat is required to be anchored to the floor so strongly it will not pull loose during this bending action. And, the floor itself must be so strong that it will not be bent or torn by the pulling action of the seat anchors.

Finally, the requirement is added that seat backs can be no further apart than a distance that is deemed safe. Clearly, if the backs were too far apart, the child could be thrown too far before being cushioned and/or could be thrown outside the compartment altogether.

Some of the key arguments favoring compartmentalization over seat belts are as follows:

a. Compartmentalization is more manageable. The protective surfaces exist in place without depending on any action by the children or any extra special supervision by the drivers. Seat belts require discipline and supervision to keep them clean, unraveled and in use.

b. Compartmentalization works whether students have fully developed abdominal areas or not. Conventional seat belts, which are lap restraints only, are not suitable for small children whose abdominal area and bone structure are not adequately developed to take the force of a lap belt alone. They need the help of chest harnesses also, which adds to the complexity of a proper seat belt solution.

c. Compartmentalization, once it has done its energy-absorbing job, leaves the student free to escape the bus. Seat belts could leave students strapped in, upside down, perhaps unconscious, in burning or flooding buses.

N

NDNPARENT

IndianFan said:
NDNPARENT said:

I disagree with the assumption that school board members don't care about the safety of students. Deciding against bus seat belts is not uncommon around the state. The PNGISD decision on not including the belts was likely based on further research rather than adding a few thousand dollars to the stadium budget.

The decision from another district who faced the same controversy:
4. Question: Why are 71-passenger school buses not equipped with seat belts for students?

Answer: Seat belts are not required in school buses because research by the Department of Transportation and others determined that compartmentalization was a better solution.

After extensive research during the 1970's, the Department of Transportation and its agency, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) determined that the safest and most practical arrangement for school bus seating would be a "compartmentalization" concept. Accordingly, the new safety regulations established in 1977 included this requirement among many other improvements made that year.

Under the compartmentalization concept, seat backs in school buses are made higher, wider and thicker than before. All metal surfaces are covered with foam padding. This structure must then pass rigid test requirements for absorbing energy, such as would be required if a child's body came in contact with the padded back. In addition, the equivalent of a seat back, called "barrier", is placed in front of the first seat at the front of the bus.

In addition to padding, today's seats also must have a steel inner structure that springs and bends forward to help absorb energy when a child comes in contact with it. The steel frame must "give" just enough to absorb the child in the seat ahead. Also, of course, the seat is required to be anchored to the floor so strongly it will not pull loose during this bending action. And, the floor itself must be so strong that it will not be bent or torn by the pulling action of the seat anchors.

Finally, the requirement is added that seat backs can be no further apart than a distance that is deemed safe. Clearly, if the backs were too far apart, the child could be thrown too far before being cushioned and/or could be thrown outside the compartment altogether.

Some of the key arguments favoring compartmentalization over seat belts are as follows:

a. Compartmentalization is more manageable. The protective surfaces exist in place without depending on any action by the children or any extra special supervision by the drivers. Seat belts require discipline and supervision to keep them clean, unraveled and in use.

b. Compartmentalization works whether students have fully developed abdominal areas or not. Conventional seat belts, which are lap restraints only, are not suitable for small children whose abdominal area and bone structure are not adequately developed to take the force of a lap belt alone. They need the help of chest harnesses also, which adds to the complexity of a proper seat belt solution.

c. Compartmentalization, once it has done its energy-absorbing job, leaves the student free to escape the bus. Seat belts could leave students strapped in, upside down, perhaps unconscious, in burning or flooding buses.

my point is this! , it was STATED in the bond before voting on the bond, that WE would buy school buses with seat belts! Therefore what they say and what they do is what i am complaining about! I was at that school board meeeting when they voted against the seat belts base on in the future that it was going to be required. So my point is this.. why wait, get it now since you CONNED the voters that you was going to buy school buses with seatbelts! whatever the school board says in present and future is hogwash to me. can not trust them for their word or what is printed in black and white. So in the future i will vote against every bond that come forward and be an advocate against it till all the current board meembers are voted out!

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
More than likely the original decision was based on limited information. After doing their homework they probably realized that including the belts would require more buses, would raise supervisory concerns, and other issues as raised on the topic. So they changed the decision.

Management in corporate America shifts direction on much larger issues every day. Heck, look at how the Treasury Department is shifting use of the recent $700 billion bailout! So I'm not shocked if a tiny school district in SE Texas takes a change in direction based on valid reasons.

You would avoid voting for new elementary schools, which you already stated as a serious safety concern, based on the seat belt decision?

N

NDNPARENT

yes i would. just to prove a point! it should have been taking care of in this bond issure instead of the football stadium, after the schools then you get the stadium, not this way. football stadium.fieldhouse, baseball , etc before the schools!

as for as a large corp. unless i have stock in it then they can do what they want with thier money. but this bond is the money of the taxpayers!

as for as the 700B BUYOUT that our govt. voted on, i disagree with that too! just more taxes on us for the stupidity of our govt. on spendig money on wastfull projects!

MightyNDNS

100+ Posts
IndianFan said:
More than likely the original decision was based on limited information. After doing their homework they probably realized that including the belts would require more buses, would raise supervisory concerns, and other issues as raised on the topic. So they changed the decision.

Management in corporate America shifts direction on much larger issues every day. Heck, look at how the Treasury Department is shifting use of the recent $700 billion bailout! So I'm not shocked if a tiny school district in SE Texas takes a change in direction based on valid reasons.

You would avoid voting for new elementary schools, which you already stated as a serious safety concern, based on the seat belt decision?

The point is, it is a bond issue and voted on by the people - these are not corporate funds and we didn't just win the lottery!!! The people voted for school buses with seat belts. I understand to a point, why the decision was made, however, it should have made prior to the vote. I don't know what my decision will be when it comes time for another bond, due to the fact that I have seen how the money has been spent and I am not happy. The board minutes clearly state what was to be used for roofing on the Elem. schools and it is not being done the way the board, themselves requested it to be done. The product was supposed to be changed from 40 mil PVC to 50 mil PVC. The insulation was to be 1" to 1.5" PolyIso insulation and there is Expanded Polystyrene all over the place. There is a reason for changing the insulation - EPS (Exp. Polystyrene) and PVC do not mix. The EPS will deteriorate the PVC. PolyIso and PVC do not have the same reaction.

NDN fan 4ever

100+ Posts
IndianFan said:

OMG!!!! Seatbelts on the school buses were a major reason that the bond passed in the first place. That info came from both LU surveys perfomed before the election. Constituents' feelings were based on the horrific accident involving the West Brook girls soccer team.

When discussion began about the buses last fall, the decision was made buy the 20+ buses without seat belts because Gov. Perry signed a bill requiring all buses purchased after Sept 1, 2010 to be fitted with the belts. http://waco.injuryboard.com/mass-transit-accidents/school-bus-seat-belt-legislation-becomes-law-in-texas.aspx?googleid=218614

That dropped the cost by $12,000 per bus. Do the math. The board felt that they could have belts added later at the cost of the state regardless of the fact that #1 the taxpayers voted for it in the first place, so the funds were there, #2 the cost of the retrofit per bus would be substantially more, #3 the downtime for each bus for the retrofit was never considered #4 no one ever discussed how the $200,000+ "Board windfall" would be spent.

The info that you posted should have been considered before the bond was presented to taxpayers. That's what responsible boards do, not sandbag constituents. To do so after the fact is a slap to those who voted for it and validated the suspicions of those who didn't.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
NDNPARENT said:
yes i would. just to prove a point! it should have been taking care of in this bond issure instead of the football stadium, after the schools then you get the stadium, not this way. football stadium.fieldhouse, baseball , etc before the schools!

as for as a large corp. unless i have stock in it then they can do what they want with thier money. but this bond is the money of the taxpayers!

as for as the 700B BUYOUT that our govt. voted on, i disagree with that too! just more taxes on us for the stupidity of our govt. on spendig money on wastfull projects!

Not trying to discount your viewpoint NDNPARENT. Just playing devil's advocate.

Regarding the seat belts, House Bill No. 323 includes the following:

SECTION 5. The changes made by Section 2 of this Act do not
take effect unless the legislature appropriates money specifically
for the purpose of reimbursing school districts for expenses
incurred in complying with that section.

Section 2 dictates that each bus purchased by a school district on or after September 1, 2010, for the transportation of schoolchildren, must be equipped with three-point seat belt systems.

I'm not sure if that state money has been appropriated yet. The board's decision may have also been made, in conjunction with the other facts stated in the previous post, to save the district that expenditure knowing that the buses will eventually be equipped using state money if and when the bill goes into effect.

Replacing all 6 elementary schools this round would have likely cost an additional $100+ million dollars. Would a $220+ million bond have even been feasible or legal? Local experts like pngfan93 can answer that. In the meantime, the community gets an excellent stadium for ~$10 million. An amount that won't build half of one elementary school.
Look around the state. What PNGISD has done is not extreme.

Cheermom4

500+ Posts
squaw said:
Cheermom4 said:
What happened last night was a shame and an embarresment. I would hope that if I had a child out on that field that if he was the one down with how ever many guys on top of him that someone would come to his aid to help get those guys off him. I mean I wouldn't want them fighting but I would want them to protect themselves. That was very uncalled for from Central, they were winning and had WON the game. There was only 58 seconds left on the clock. Central should be ashamed of themselves for that and the half time performance which was just vulgar.
I agree. Also, ask Nederland fans what happened when they played Central over there. They had to leave before the game for safety's sake. I personally think this issue should be addressed with UIL and all the 4A teams in this area.

I talked to a friend of mine whose son is a football player at Nederland and she told me about when they played Central. It is a shame that this kind of behavior is tolarated. She also told me that a Central coach pushed a Nederland player and nothing was done to him in front of an official. :flaming: If that would have been my kid it would have been on. If the coachs are acting like over grown kids therein lies the problem.

yankeedawg

500+ Posts
Assuming all I'm hearing about this is true, maybe next year when the 20-4A teams play Central, the halftime shows should involve the "squared circle", folding chairs and cages..you know, just to break up the boredom of a football game.. ::)

81alum

Fights in the stands, fights on the field, 1 district win, lots of empty seats. How low does the program need to get before a change is made? It is overdue!!! Please call the board members and let them know we need a change to bring the program back.

NDN fan 4ever

100+ Posts
81alum said:
Fights in the stands, fights on the field, 1 district win, lots of empty seats. How low does the program need to get before a change is made? It is overdue!!! Please call the board members and let them know we need a change to bring the program back.

81alum I appreciate your sentiments. However, all the board wanted was the stadium. Good luck getting the program back.

MightyNDNS

100+ Posts
81alum said:
Doesn't the board handle personnel issues? If not who does?

It depends on your definition of what "handle" is. I can only think of one that would have no problem firing MB and that is because he has no problem messing up people's lives...

MB asked for one thing in that stadium and that was the turf - and that is it - PERIOD. He did not ask for a 9million dollar stadium!!!!! I know it appears that I am taking up for MB and I guess I am in a way because I want everyone to know the truth about the man. He cares about these kids but I think maybe he is tired of being the board's yes man. And perhaps he has lost site of the big picture (the program) due to many demands being placed on his shoulders. Do we need change? Yes, we do but in what fashion, I don't know.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores