Disturbing

Status
Not open for further replies.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
From Tom Haliburton's column in the PA News on Sunday, June 6th, it sounds as if he is aware of some of the jealousy surrounding Coach Faircloth's first year success. Tom Haliburton's advice, keep on winning. See the PA News online at www.panews.com/sports. And, why is it that some get torqued up over this topic being discussed? Discussion and the exchange of ideas is a good thing.

Here's to this mess getting cleared up and the Indians having a great run in 2010.

Go Indians. Peace.

PNG NDN Fan

1,000+ Posts
Staff member
From Tom H's column today (it is in the article that discusses John Wooden)

" Here's what I don't like about a pair young highly motivated coaches -- Brandon Faircloth (PN-G football) and Matt Cross (Lamar Port Arthur basketball). There are people connected with each community that seem to be jealous of each one's first-year success. Of course there wouldn't be any jealousy if the two guys had experienced nightmarish first seasons. But here's a sad fact of sports or any segment of life. As sure as you have some success, there will be people who will be jealous. So our message to each young coach at the start of his second-year is simple -- keep on having more success...."

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
PNG NDN Fan said:
From Tom H's column today (it is in the article that discusses John Wooden)

" Here's what I don't like about a pair young highly motivated coaches -- Brandon Faircloth (PN-G football) and Matt Cross (Lamar Port Arthur basketball). There are people connected with each community that seem to be jealous of each one's first-year success. Of course there wouldn't be any jealousy if the two guys had experienced nightmarish first seasons. But here's a sad fact of sports or any segment of life. As sure as you have some success, there will be people who will be jealous. So our message to each young coach at the start of his second-year is simple -- keep on having more success...."

Amen! :thumbsup:

Torino

500+ Posts
curiousfan said:
akifan94.....This curious fan wants to know if you were at that board meeting? Well this curious fan was and here are the facts.... $15,000.00 was donated and that was to cover the 3500 tickets for advanced ticket sales. In order for the district to break even 3500 advance tickets must be sold at $12 a piece. According to school administrators the projected minimum cost to send the football team, band, Indianettes, cheerleaders and sponsors is $42,000.00. All 3500 tickets must be sold by the district prior to the game to break even. Any tickets purchased at the gate does not benefit the district. It was also stated that PNG has only 2300 season tickets sold last football season. Being an avid PNG fan I hope all 3500 tickets are sold. However, beings that at the time this decision was being voted on it was public knowledge that the projected deficit was 3.6 million. I respect Mr. Balsamo's vote. It appears he did not want to gamble with the tax payers money. If you did or do not attend board meetings maybe you should so you can hear all the facts.

Your facts about the Alamodome game are incorrect, although it is a multifaceted proposition and can be confusing. The financial contributions from industry will supplement ticket sales. Also, the district stands to generate a little income from game-related merchandise and the sale of some donated TEXAS FOOTBALL magazines. The game won't be a big moneymaker, but the district won't lose money.

Since financial considerations weren't the issue, it would be interesting to know Mr. Balsamo's real motivation. If he maintains that his concerns were financial, them shame on him for not understanding the facts.

You are also incorrect regarding the number of season tickets sold last year.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
In 2008, The Enterprise reported that 3,801 of the 4,586 seats located in the reserved seating sections were sold out just prior to the season starting. I'm sure they sold more after that.

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/news/local/final_figures_in_for_port_neches-groves_08-01-2008.html

I don't have the number for 2009 but it was more than likely much better.

bandkid

Staff member
It seems like everywhere I go I talk to someone who has purchased tickets and fully intends to be in San Antonio on August 28. My bet is that PN-G will fill up not only the reserved section, but our whole side of the stadium. This is a game in a centralized part of the state, which puts it within reach of many out-of-town Indians. There's no doubt in my mind that we will put every other school there to shame - as usual - in terms of fan turnout.

Torino

500+ Posts
squaw said:
All I can say is that its wonderful that Coach Faircloth doesn't get on here and doesn't listen to all the rumors. We discussed this with him at the baseball game last night and he was reassured that his job is safe and in no jeopardy. He is a great coach, but, even more important, he is a straight-up person who loves his students. He and I always tease about who yells the loudest for the Indians and its a tie for now. :) We all know how many hours he spends on football prep. How many coaches would spend the time to sit in the stands and enjoy a good ballgame?? BTW, they were awesome last night and the 3rd game is at 2:00 today. Hopefully, our crowd will be even better. If you can come, you won't be disappointed.
I think it is fascinating that a person who has no official standing with the school district can reassure ANY school employee that his/her job is safe.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
NDN79 said:
Again I say: What does Coach Faircloth have to do with any of this. If you try to make it hard for Him and his staff to do their job, then the only people you are hurting are the student athletes that work so hard to represent PN-G! Get over yourself and your little hurt feelings and think about what is best for the students, athletes, and fans and supporters of everything that is PN-G. You need to re-examine what it is that truly makes you an INDIAN from PN-G, and it IS NOT this kind of petty, stupid, irresponsible behavior and actions. If you want to act this way, then IMHO you should turn in your shield, spear, head-dress, and burn all of your purple: because YOU DON'T DESERVE THE PRIVLEDGE OF BEING AN INDIAN ANY LONGER!

GO INDIANS!!!!!

We want to make sure Coach Faircloth WANTS to stay at PN-G long term.

And that no local friendships, political alignments affect that decision. That would be the petty actions you referred to right?

LogicalLou

OMG!! There is a problem when the most-read site under "Football" is "Disturbing." I've followed sports on and off this particular site for a couple of years, and this is the first time I've felt compelled to respond. There are so many erroneous statements throughout that it would start a new "Disturbing is Disturbing" rant. First of all, there is not any type of "situation" involved with Faircloth. I know 5 of the 7 board members well and all 5 want winners and all 5 know that winning football seasons impact the entire temperament of PNG...students and faculty. The only 2 members I don't know are the 2 in the law enforcement field. Irregardless of where these so-call "rumors" started, immaturity is being shown by all participating in this conversation, which is leading nowhere; it's not beneficial for ANY PNG athlete, extracurricular participant, or student in general to listen to adults do a "he said, she said" endless gripe on the Football site. Comparing Faircloth to Malone is the most ridiculous statement EVER made. Malone did not leave nor was he encouraged to leave because of his coaching which everyone knew was fun and exciting. There were issues with things that had nothing to do with his actual coaching that would have created an exit for ANY employee in the district. Football has and always will be a number one priority with PNG; however, sometimes the entire picture of PNGISD must be considered...other sports teams, other activities, other campuses, classrooms in general. And, also the financial status of parents created by today's economy. I do not know all of the reasons that Balsamo voted against the San Antonio trip. I just know why I would have voted against it...finances for the families for that type of trip. You're looking at gasoline, meals, tickets, lodging, possibly using vacation time or taking off work with no pay to be able to go. Yet, none of this will stop the fans from going now that the game is set. But, it is something that could have affected the actual planning of the trip. Let's be realistic, another game in the Reliant Complex would have been just as exciting for us, but that wasn't a possibility this year....until we hit playoffs, anyway. Faircloth's focus is, I feel confident, on FOOTBALL...not idle gossip from a few people that have no bearing on the coaching staff of PNGISD. I'm not sure why some seem to think you can't be a friend of Matt Burnett's but still be excited with Coach Faircloth. Let's do everybody a big favor and drop this subject. School board campaigning doesn't need to start until spring 2011!

United we stand; divided we....well you all know the rest!

shovelhead

100+ Posts
Excellent first post Lou! Welcome to "As the Reservation Turns" Just picking! The good stuff here outweighs the bad. We are a spoiled bunch used to sucess on all levels. Our expectations are higher than at most schools, so we tend to make mountains from molehills. At the end of the day its all good. Welcome aboard.

ndnsrock44

100+ Posts
Yeah..Great first post.. You deny that any of this is real, even though it has even been mentioned in the PA News. I wonder what kind of credibility Halliburton's source would have for him to write this. I am guessing pretty solid. This can no longer be dismissed by some as just some "pot stirrers" on a message board. Please don't insult the intellegence of those on this board. I think it is time for people to accept that this is a real issue and move forward to making sure that it stops and we do whatever it takes to make sure Coach Faircloth knows he has the support of the ENTIRE community. We definitely were blessed to have gotten such a great coach and great coaching staff...Let's keep them here for a LONG time!

akifan94

500+ Posts
Typical divide. The blind sheep being led over the ledge and the ones who can see without the purple tinted glasses that there is a problem.

OldEagle

500+ Posts
Why don't we do a poll to see how many think there is a problem. I still haven't seen anything that convinces me there is a problem.
I am looking forward to football season so we can talk about something that actually exist.
(I don't know how to conduct a poll on this site or I would do it.)

LogicalLou

I have read and re-read all of these posts 3 times. I also read the PA News and Sports section on a daily basis and I simply intrepreted the article as an encouragement for this subject to be dropped. Don't y'all think that Faircloth and staff are tired of being "asked what they've heard" or being "reassured about their job." I want to point out that I absolutely abhor a "good ole boy network." And, yes it was time for a change; the old staff had gotten very complacent. My question is that I have yet to read or hear anything of any substance that indicates Faircloth's job has been questioned. I have relatives on the team and in Indianettes as well as band. I have had season tickets since 1970. Everyone wants a winner! I have heard only positive feedback on the coaches and the respect they have earned. The ONLY inkling that there has been any "whispering" is on this site. If we need to "protect" Faircloth's job, will someone please explain in exact terms what specific incidents have occurred. All I see is "someone asked me to write this", "there are 3 of us who don't know each other getting the same information," etc., etc. This is out of a PNG population of overy 20,000. I'm like a few others on here. Spit out exactly was has spawn this; and I don't mean a "no" vote for Balsamo or questions about an indoor practice facility! Harvey is probably turning over in his grave!

indianalways

100+ Posts
I could name names if anyone wants. And Tom Halliburton's source is near the top of the food chain in the school district...Someone who actually knows what is going on as opposed to the people who think that they know what is going on. Tom has always held PNG close to the chest, and to doubt his information now would be foolish. I can also tell you that prior to the last school board election it was understood that Dr. Randall would stay on as Superintendent to take the "heat" of the bond. Suddenly she is "retiring" after the most electric football, baseball, and basically any other extra curricular activity year since Lord knows when? Ha, right. Anyone with a brain can see it is apparent that the "good ole boys" have had their hand in her premature departure. Anyone that wants specific info is welcome to PM me, or I can spout it out publicly upon popular demand.

NDNmom91

500+ Posts
Yep...I'd love to know what the heck is going on! Trying to figure it out from all this "he said..she said...yes its true...no its a rumor" crap is giving me a headache!!! So...spill the beans or lets end this!!

hookem14

100+ Posts
indianalways, there is (11) pages of people wanting someone to step up too the plate and start naming names. If you can, please do so !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores