FINAL: PN-G 24, Austin LBJ 19

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Final. Indians 24, Jaguars + Refs + trying to give the game away - 19

Great job Indians. Terrific win over a top ranked team. But that second half offensive showing was horrific. The game ball goes to the entire PNG defense.

Stupid penalties and failing to stick with offensive strengths, or rather what was working, almost lost this game. Indians kept this game close, not LBJ.

bandkid

Staff member
Pros:

Our defense is outstanding. Our offense is very talented, very capable and nearly unstoppable when executing. LBJ hasn't been scored on in eight weeks. They've been blowing teams out scoring 6+ touchdowns a game nearly all season long. We held them to three scores and put up four on them. The bottom line is, PN-G walked into a game where most of the pundits weren't giving the Indians a chance, and we came away with a win. We're in the third round of the playoffs for the third time in the last five seasons. I told y'all earlier this week that LBJ is talented but untested. That showed tonight.

Cons:

We need to work on discipline and execution on both sides of the ball, offense in particular. We nearly cost ourselves the game with penalties. Tonight is also the first time all season when I've had reason to question the play-calling. As untested as LBJ looked tonight, PN-G looked just as unprepared several times in the second half.

Final Thoughts:

This team has a deep playoff run in it if it can clean up the issues and play fundamentally sound football. They're capable of that - they showed it in the first half. The question is whether they'll follow through for a full game. And to that question of faith I say, always be faithful.

Scalp 'em, Indians.

PS: Oh, and y'all please beat Brenham next week. When the baseball team beat them on the way to the state championship in 2017, I may or may not have done some bragging around the notoriously proud state senator from Brenham, and I may or may not want to relive that experience.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Not to take away from the Indians earning this win, but LBJ was definitely overrated. PN-G has the better team. If LBJ had continued to put it in #28’s hands every play I believe they would have scored more. But the Indian defense was outstanding overall and did stop him on key plays.

Did anytime else notice that LBJ’s overall team condition was surprisingly lacking. They had size but not the good kind of size. They have a handful of players with elusiveness and speed that kept them in the game.

On to the next round!

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
LBJ #28 was a tough dude. Smooth elusive moves. He reminded me of a HS version of Barry Sanders. The PN-G defense was in position to stop him. The Indians hit him, but sometimes the other player just has the "it" factor. LBJ #28 had it. He looked so smooth. Give tons of credit to the PN-G defense. Stop after stop after stop. Great job DEFENSE. Need to ask the OC, what are you doing? No need to motion across the snap and fumble the ball. Just line up and run the ball. The OL was winning the line of scrimmage. #19 was running the ball just fine. The other RBs handled their business, too. Just line up and run the ball. All that said, a great team win. Big round of applause to the special teams. Great job, young men. Great kick coverage, punt coverage, and great blocking on the KO return. Loved the fake punt. Can't say enough about the defense. Great effort by all those kids. DL and LBs running sideline to sideline and playing 100 mph. Loved the effort. LBJ #28, tip of the cap. Great game, young man. Great times for PN-G football...practicing on THANKSGIVING! No turkeys left in the high school football when you get to games on Thanksgiving weekend. Go Indians.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
After a few hours of rest, this overzealous fan woke up with a more positive perspective. I can only explain my harsh comments on 5+ decades of being consumed with football and having an eye for seeing what could have been versus just watching the ball. I'm not the only one. Hard core football fans know what I mean. Every decision, every movement, every angle is critical. I just know that the Indians could have played better than they did and it is upsetting when they don't. But they played well enough and won the game. And it was a tremendous win.

The Indians went into that battle 2 touchdown underdogs and a history of outstanding running backs having big games against them. Last year those excellent backs ran all over the defense.

But this 2022 Indian D took punch after punch, broke a few times, but only three times for scores, and made big plays when they needed to. An overall amazing performance against a team that was running up video game scores all season.

The Indian offense could have played better and leveraged their advantage on the line of scrimmage and hung onto the ball more, but they still scored 24 points on a team that had 6 shutouts this season.

What's really encouraging is the Indians did not play their best, but they still beat a team that most didn't think they could beat. There is much room for even better performances. Imagine the potential wins if they can reach their peak of potential performance.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (4-0)
vs.
Huntsville Hornets (3-1)

Friday, Oct. 4, 7:00PM

Huntsville ISD Stadium, Huntsville, TX

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores